Early season fast facts

Jason Gregor
October 20 2008 08:01AM

For the first time since 1985, the Oilers are 4–0 to open the season, and more importantly they are 3–0 within the NW division. Last year the Oilers were a disappointing 13-16-3 in their division and that cost them a playoff spot.

With only four of their next 25 against NW foes, the Oilers won’t have to worry about their division record until December. In the meantime they will focus on their road record as they play ten of their next eleven on the road.

Here are a few tidbits from the Oilers and around the league two weeks into the season.

• The Oil’s leading scorers, Ethan Moreau and Sheldon Souray, are tied for 93rd in league scoring.
  • Only four teams—Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Ottawa and Tampa Bay—are giving up more shots on goal per game, yet the Oilers haven’t lost.
  • They are 21st in shots on goal per game at 27.2.
  • They are 3rd on the PP at a mind-blowing 29.4%. Of course they won’t keep up that pace, but their puck movement on the man advantage has drastically improved.
  • They haven’t been to overtime yet, which is strange since they went to the extra frame a league-high 25 times last season.  Phoenix, Colorado and Anaheim are the other teams who have yet to play some extra time.
  • Sam Gagner doesn’t have a point.
  • All four of Hemsky’s points have come on the PP. All four of Moreau’s have been five-on-five.
  • The fans haven’t yelled shoot on the PP yet. That has to change soon, you would think.
  • There are two “ice-girls” on the Oilers’ shoveling crew. It’s a start, but not even close to the Power Players in Anaheim.
  • A Russian from Washington leads the league in points and it isn’t Alex Ovechkin. Alexander Semin has 10 points. Ovechkin only has three points in five games, but he has 13 hits already. Let’s hope he isn’t more of a hitter than a scorer this year.
  • Aaron Voros is this year’s Ovechkin. He already has five goals and 18 hits for the Rangers.
  • The Sabres’ goaltenders are first and second in save percentage. Patrick Lalime leads with a .951 and Ryan Miller is 2nd with .945.
  • The Oilers are 24th in faceoff percentage winning 46.5 per cent.
  • Mike Komisarek leads the NHL in hits with 27 and is 2nd with 20 blocked shots.
  • Carolina was the last team to have a fighting major when Dan Lacouture dropped them with Nathan McIver last night in Anaheim.
  • The Oilers are the least penalized team so far averaging 3.75 minor penalties per game. At the opposite end is the Flyers who are taking eight minors a game.
  • The Sabres have yet to surrender a PP goal. They have killed off 24 penalties so far. The Kings (19) and Wild (15) are also perfect.
  • Martin Biron, Jose Theodore and Nikolai Khabibulin lead goaltender scoring with an assist each.
  • Caps’ D-man Mike Green has four goals and all have come on the PP.
  • Brad Boyes, Drew Stafford and the Leafs’ Nikolai Kumelin have already scored twice in the shootout. The Leafs are 0–2 in shootouts despite Kumelin’s success.

Oil drops

• Sheldon Souray looks like he might not play until Saturday in Vancouver. Sam Gagner will be decided upon after a few more practices, but it looks like he will be the first to return to the line-up.
  • Tim Sestito is the captain down in Springfield, and he scored his first two goals of the season in a 4-1 win last night. The Falcons are now 2-2-1.
  • Viacheslav Trukhno leads the Falcons with five points in five games.
  • Ryan Potulny leads them with three goals.
  • Rob Schremp has three assists in three games, while Gilbert Brule has two goals and three points.
Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#1 Jerry MacWire
October 20 2008, 08:34AM

Jason, I think you need to use your mad MMA skillz on RB for throwing you under the bus re live blogging.

Teacher's pets and tattle tales suxxors.

#2 doritogrande
October 20 2008, 08:52AM

Losing Souray for a couple games can only be seen as a good thing for the powerplay, IMO. It doesn't make sense to me to play both big shooters on the same unit, especially when the Vis-Gre tandem went one for one in the first game and looked completely dominating.

It should also be noted that Gilbert Brule went down with a knee injury on Friday and wasn't seen for the rest of the weekend. It was an apparent knee on knee hit. Glove tap to bryanbryoil's blog.

#3 jdrevenge
October 20 2008, 10:28AM

Funny how we lose Greene and Stoll and our number of penalties per game is dropping bigtime.

#4 Doogie2K
October 20 2008, 10:29AM

The cattle prods are working.

#5 Jason Gregor
October 20 2008, 11:04AM

Jerry,

I'm not sure why you think Robin threw me under the bus. I did live blog in preseason, because the games weren't on TV and I thought the Nation could give fans some insight. I did the three games, and then told my boss here that I wouldn't be doing it for the regular season. It took away from how I like to watch the game.

The Oilers never knew I was doing it, so that is probably why I wasn't told to stop. Since then I have been told it is not allowed, but since I had no intentions of doing it again I didn't care. While I don't agree with all of the rightsholders agreements, I do respect the business side of things, and they do have some privileges.

If I guy wanted to live blog from his blackberry in the stands he could, but it would be pretty hard to do it on your phone and watch the game. At least for me, since I'm not texting wonder.

#6 Wanye Gretz
October 20 2008, 11:56AM

I could blog live from a game on the blackberry. You should see the monster emails I send Gregor on the tiny little keyboard. He is always wowed by them!

#7 A.Milli
October 20 2008, 03:31PM

Gregor is like Marc Andre Bergeron

#8 David S
October 20 2008, 07:03PM

Hey Jason,

Really interested to hear about Sam. Souray, well we expected that. But young Sam, that has me worried. Got any news on that front you can share?

#9 Jason Gregor
October 20 2008, 11:20PM

David,

Gagner's knee didn't bother him today at practice. He will wait to see if there is stiffness or swelling tomorrow, but he seemed confident he would be on the ice Wednesday.

Souray looks like he will miss Chic and Col and might return on Saturday.

Also, Roloson will start in either Chic or Col. He told me he is excited to play since he hasn't played in almost a month.

#10 Jason Gregor
October 20 2008, 11:22PM

Wanye the only thing that wows me from you is that you can text off of that 2001 motorola phone. That is impressive.

#11 David S
October 20 2008, 11:45PM

Thanks Jason! Good thing that 19 year old ligaments heal fast.