Stauffer gets the call

Robin Brownlee
October 28 2008 08:57PM

With Wanye Gretz, The Warrior, Tony Fiorello, Al Nagy and fingernails on a blackboard somehow being overlooked, Bob Stauffer will be the voice of the Edmonton Oilers on 630 CHED for the next seven games.

I've just received word Stauffer will take over the microphone from HHOF play-by-play man Rod Phillips, silenced for the upcoming road trip through Nashville, Carolina, Philadelphia, Columbus, Pittsburgh, New Jersey and New York by an ear infection that won't allow him to fly.

Short of lining the Skipper up with his own bus, à la John Madden, and motoring him across the continent—the Oilers Express would've had to have left city limits today to make it to Music City on time—Bombastic Bob was clearly the best option, and the one the Oilers have chosen.

Stauffer, best known as an outspoken critic of the Oilers on TEAM 1260 during a five-year tenure on Total Sports before Daryl Katz closed his big yap with hush money in the form of a job alongside Phillips, will do play-by-play for all seven games.

Pounding it with Dick and Jack

Stauffer will have Global TV's Kevin Karius as his analyst for three of the games, which should make for some interesting pre-game preparation at Tootsie's Orchid Lounge in Nashville—where yours truly once slurred the line, "I'll take the redhead," which is a proclamation Karius torments me with at every opportunity. Rob Brown will be Stauffer's sidekick for four other broadcasts.

Stauffer's already got one NHL game as a play-by-play man on his resume. He filled in during a game here during the 2000–01 season when San Jose microphone jockey Dan Rusanowsky was injured in a card wreck.

He's also done play-by-play for more than 400 Alberta Golden Bear hockey broadcasts and more than 100 football broadcasts, so, despite his infamous "Thompson Twins" goal call during one CIS hockey final, Stauffer's got the chops.

Phillips, 67, had missed just two regular season games in 35 years before being slowed up by this ear infection.

—Listen to Robin Brownlee every Thursday from 4 to 6pm on Just A Game with Jason Gregor on Team 1260.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#1 baggedmilk
October 28 2008, 09:42PM

This is an outrage. That is the last time I paint Robin Brownlee on my body and go hang out outside D-Katz's Wayne Manor.

#2 The Towel Boy
October 28 2008, 10:31PM

Maybe it's not even an ear infection...maybe they caught Rod blogging on his personal site from the pressbox. Yah, that's it I bet.

#3 Antony Ta
October 28 2008, 11:24PM

They should get Stephen Mandell to do the play by play for a game. It would be interesting since Mandell always says things in such a hilarious way.

"The Oilers are a great thing for Edmonton. Another reason not to move away. Stay in Edmonton. Please. GOILERS!"

#4 Bruce
October 29 2008, 12:20AM

Right place, right time. Stauffer's been on the job for what, 10 minutes, and Raucous Rod goes on the shelf for the first time in forever.

#5 BUCK75
October 29 2008, 07:04AM

Nice photoshop smile on Bob, as long as he keeps the "golden bear" references to a minimum he will do an adequate job.

Talk about "johnny on the spot", Stauffers career has done a total 180 in the last 9 weeks! First geting the job, second having Dairy Queen sponsor his pre-game amble to now doing play by play? He must be "stoked"...

#6 DJ Spyn Cycle
October 29 2008, 08:05AM

The "liquify" tool in photoshop is one of my favourites, particularly because I can never find pictures of Stauffer smiling.

Hey Robin, is it true that Stauff never smiles in mixed company? I JUST WANT HIM TO BE HAPPY.

#7 Wanye Gretz
October 29 2008, 08:52AM

To be fair I missed a call from an unknown number yesterday. It was probably the Oilers but I was at Circuit Circus in the mall and had poor reception.

#8 Rick
October 29 2008, 08:55AM

Well this could be interesting, who can forget that epic call Stauffer made on the Golden Bears in the championship game...and then kept replaying over and over and over again on Total Sports?

I think it went something like this;

JKAHDSHJF FL KJAHDS AKUEFD JAHDSF KJAFDU SCOOOORRRREESSSS!!!! UEF DHSAF UWD ANBC WDUEWHZ UHFDJKAF Thompson Twins!!!! KJDHFUEF JSDB UWD CNBCNAKSUHDUW!!!!!!

#9 RobinB
October 29 2008, 08:59AM

Rick: You're mistaken. It was:

FRKDK SRSKSHJ FRK PJUFJDK TYSFGD -- SCOOOOORES!!!!!!!!!!! -- IDSDJ POFJUDH HDH JDGHDH PDGDHDK GARGLE GARGLE THOMPSON TWINS !!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAHHHH

#10 Rick
October 29 2008, 09:11AM

Right you are Robin, I stand corrected.

But in my defence I have been trying to forget that call for a long time now.

#11 Chaz
October 29 2008, 09:11AM

In the old days I used to turn down the TV volume and listen to Rod as I watched the Oil on TV. He just adds so much excitement to any given game.

I would gladly do that now too, except there is about a 5 second delay on the TV coverage so the two feeds don't jive. If 630 ched were smart, they would apply a similar delay, and then Rod-heads like me would once again put them on in favor of Guy Smiley (Kevin Quinn). And yes, I think I would even prefer Bob to KQ: "Overtime Winnerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!"

#12 Jerry MacWire
October 29 2008, 09:13AM

Stauffer will do a good job but who can replace Phillips?

I like to hear Bob on the pregame show but the post game show with Tencer is a disappointment.

Gone now is Stauffers' biting criticism of coaching and management. I did think it was odd that during the middle of summer Stauffer backed off on MacT and was actually praising his ability to teach young hockey players. Coincidence that a few weeks later he gets hired on by the Oilers?

Anyway, I look forward to the radio call the next few weeks. Good luck Bob.

#13 Ssseth
October 29 2008, 09:34AM

Good for Bob, I'm sure he'll do fine. With Rob Brown doing four games, does that mean I won't have to put up with him on any of the TV games? Gawd is he ever awful.

#14 baggedmilk
October 29 2008, 09:57AM

TB I just put a picture of Bob on my radio, so your first analogy was correct. I can see his hair plugs on the radio.

#15 RobinB
October 29 2008, 10:00AM

Jerry: I'm hardly impartial on this, but I also look forward to hearing Bob's call of these seven games.

We take pokes at Bob for the Thompson Twins stuff, and rightfully so, but I enjoy his pace and his tone on U of A broadcasts. Knowing how diligently Bob works at his craft. he's only going to get better.

If things go as I expect they will in the next year, these seven games will serve as a preview of what we're going to get when Rod decides to hang it up.

#16 baggedmilk
October 29 2008, 10:15AM

Robin, The thing that made Bob great on 1260 was that he didn't have to be biased because of the header on this pay cheques. I miss the rips and the sarcastic wit. He's been watered down from the big hairy teddy bear we knew and loved.

#17 RobinB
October 29 2008, 10:22AM

Bagged: It's a different gig now.

If you compare Bob to a lot of other analysts around the NHL, he's far more critical of the Oilers and honest in his assessments than most. He calls a bad play a bad play. A bad period a bad period. I think that's what makes Ray Ferraro so good.

It's not the rip-snorting stuff he'd do on TEAM 1260, but it's not all pablum and fartcatching, either.

#18 baggedmilk
October 29 2008, 10:28AM

Robin,

Agreed Ferraro is a king among men. I'll never forget his call on Patrick Stefan.

I guess I wish he brought more of the ignant that he used to have on 1260, but that's just me. You've read pieces from my blog, I like when the pot gets stirred.

Although that being said if ever given the opportunity to write/work/make coffee/keep MacIntyre's seat warm during his 4 shifts I'd cave faster than Matt Cooke.

#19 Fiveandagame
October 29 2008, 10:41AM

Since I am forced to listen to the games on the OLD interweb as my slingbox that I have set up in E-town is out of commission, I look forward to hearing Bob's call of the game.

I have really enjoyed his role in the jump seat next to Rod the Broadcast God this year (more so than the last little feller, thats for sure). He calls them as he sees them and I imagine the Oilers will give him plenty of fodder win or lose.

Robin - your call on both Bob and Ferraro is spot on. They are great at what they do, I miss Ray on the Oiler broadcasts.

#20 Fiveandagame
October 29 2008, 10:43AM

"Although that being said if ever given the opportunity to write/work/make coffee/keep MacIntyre’s seat warm during his 4 shifts I’d cave faster than Matt Cooke."

HA! I think we all would. Except for Wayne, he's not one for changing his underwear let alone his public bursts or profanity. How long do you think he would last after saying 'BAAAAAAAAAAAAA' to Grebeshkov every time he walked past him?

#21 baggedmilk
October 29 2008, 12:06PM

All you have to hope is that he's not licking salt in the middle of the road when you pass by or he may lower his head and take a run at your car door.

#22 jeanshorts
October 29 2008, 02:32PM

If he puts his head down, just put Doug Weight in front of him. He'll get rid of the problem right quick.

#23 jeanshorts
October 29 2008, 03:11PM

Always with the well timed sound websites!

#24 T
October 29 2008, 05:45PM

i think hes the best guy to do the job and maybe its a precursor for things to come when Rod decides to finally pass the mic for good. Who else in Edmonton is gonna take over for him?? not Robin Brownlee thats for sure..

#25 RobinB
October 29 2008, 05:58PM

T: "Maybe" a precursor for things to come? It's a dead-cinch lock that Bob gets the gig when Rod steps away.

And not me? What's with that shot? Tell me something I don't know.

#26 docweb
October 29 2008, 06:25PM

Chaz....I agree. It used to be beauty to listen to Rod and watch the game but that 5 second delay is just too annoying. Having said that...with PPV totally without sound it was a good backup. I like Bob fine on the broadcasts but whatever happened to Morley Scott??

#27 suntory hanzo
October 29 2008, 06:33PM

Anyone have a link to the Thompson Twins call? I've never heard it. Watched a lot of Bears games back when I lived there in the early 90s

#28 Mike
October 29 2008, 07:14PM

T,

Stauffer is good, but gets way too exciteable, so much so that you can't understand him. Not sure if you guys have heard Gregor do Rush games, but he is awesome. That is a faster game, especially in the offensive zone, and he is outstanding. Plus he isn't afraid to rip the team when they are playing poorly. I don't think Stauffer is the ONLY guy qualified. Will he get, probably, but let's not think he is the only one good enough.

#29 Smokin' Ray Burnt
October 29 2008, 08:23PM

I'm surprised that Dan Tencer didn't get a call. At least to be a sidekick.

FYI : Not that I like the guy.

#30 Mike
October 29 2008, 09:32PM

Ray, what are you smokin???

Tencer doesn't know enough about the game to be a colour guy. Seriously, listen to his game analysis, it is never indepth. He is a decent host, not even top three in the city, but he is polished and perfect for the "careful" CHED. Colour is a really hard job in today's game, because the stoppages between whistles are so short. And as for play-by-play he has never done a game at any level. I'm sure if you asked him, he would admit that PBP is not even something he could consider. I think some of you don't understand how hard it is. I tried it once eight years ago, and I sucked so bad. It was a real eye opener.

#31 Travis Dakin
October 29 2008, 11:15PM

Tencer is only 23 years old. He has got a lot of learning to do but for his age I think he is doing good. Give him a few years and he will be much better.

#32 Dennis
October 29 2008, 11:17PM

Once I hear Bob say his First bad word about Kevin Lowe, that's when I'll agree that he was an Oilers critic.

The guy had a stiffer for MacT, but he spared the "rod" once it came to Combover Lowe.

Karius has been a clown since Christ wore shortpants and I had to get my Oilers fix on ITV's Sportsnight and I'd feel bad making fun of Rob Brown so I won't.

#33 Dave
October 30 2008, 05:31PM

I look forward to hearing Bob do play-by-play for the big team just out of curiousity. If anyone has paid their dues and learned and studied the craft of sports radio broadcasting, its Bob.

However, he is blessed/cursed with a strong and deep voice that is not built for the speed and pace of hockey play-by-play. His pacing and timbre are much better suited to a conversational style rather than the speedy and lyrical style that play-by-play demands. He should be an analyst and will continue to be a better and better one. By the time this NHL season is done and Bob has a number of NHL games behind him, Oiler fans will appreciate having a knowledgeable, witty and passionate analyst alongside the playcaller.

I do hope he stays in that role, though. P-b-P calls the play and that role is a little more limited. A voice with more character and better pacing is meant to do that job. Bob's insights and knowledge base are perfect to literally "add colour" to the game. Give us facts, stats, insights and analysis. I find ex-players, as a general rule with exceptions (Ferraro especially) to be limited in their personality and willingness to add information we want. Most ex-players are sitting on stories, insights and points of view that we aren't privy to and hockey fans would appreciate sharing. But ex-jocks, as a general rule once again, are still ex-jocks and won't let us into their world. They sit on the best stories and insider POVs we want.

Long comment. Oops. I'm out.