Rumour: Kay-Z buys more stuff

bingofuel
October 31 2008 02:30PM

I don't know about you guys, but I think it's fun to follow around Edmonton's own Gentleman Bajillionaire and speculate about what he'll do next. And while I don't often scour the interweb for stories related to the Katzman, I couldn't resist sharing this rumour with you. And let's be clear right now, lambs. THAT'S ALL THIS IS: RUMOUR.

Still, if it turns out to be true Wanye and I will drunkenly crash stolen a Club Car into the North Saskatchewan, Thelma and Louise style. BECAUSE WE CAN.

Anyhow, we got this rumour by way of Twitter. And the Twitterer in question got it by way of C2E:

A colleague had talked to someone at the pro shop at the Millwoods Golf Course today. He was told quite openly by the fellow there that the course will be closed. It has been purchased -- by none other than Daryl Katz.

Big baby Jesus, I says!

Now some of the C2E users are speculating that the Millwoods Golf Course is Katz's Plan B if the downtown arena thing doesn't work out (and I'll even risk swearing here by saying I think that's bullshit), but there you have it.

Let the wild theorizing begin!

243fa199ff6efc362bf29a17e950b47e
Bingofuel is the handsome cyborg who pulls all the levers behind the curtains of the OilersNation. When he isn't running the site, he's plugged into a wall socket, recharging. Or Brownlee and Wanye are playing "keep away" with him. He gets little to no respect.
#1 David S
October 31 2008, 03:12PM

Jeezuz! Millwoods? JEEZUZ!

If this rumour IS true, then its a serious piece of gamesmanship. How better to shortcut city hall's dicking around on the matter than to pose the idea of CBC doing it's city pan-shots in Millwoods. Yeah, like that'll ever happen.

Katz wants the new arena downtown. And he wants to break ground right away. Mandel REALLY wants it downtown because he's got a whole raft of projects waiting in the wings for a first-mover. Big bucks says that's where it is gonna be. This Millwoods thing is (might be) just Katz' way of scaring certain people into submission.

#2 adam
October 31 2008, 02:40PM

ugh. we currently have an arena in a bad part of town... building a new one in another bad part of town (though notably not AS bad) is not a good idea. plop it down at Churchill square and mandate everyone take the LRT to the game and we are set.

#3 DJ Spyn Cycle
October 31 2008, 02:42PM

I don't think the man who runs the Rexall chain of pharmacies would ever consider building an arean on the golf course lands. He'd bide his time, place puppet councillors on city council and have his way with edmonton before that would ever happen.

#4 Colin
October 31 2008, 03:44PM

I think Katz just likes golf and doesn't want to wait for his tee times.

#5 The Towel Boy
October 31 2008, 03:59PM

You know how you go thru the Tim Horton's drive thru and order a regular black coffee, and instead you get an extra large...but you think..meh..w/e...I'll buy it anyways...I'm in a hurry.

Well, with billionaires, they accidently buy golf courses and small islands. That's all this is. He'll thumb through his receipts next week and realize what he did. No big deal.

#6 Ender the Dragon
October 31 2008, 04:07PM

There is no way Rexall Place moves to Millwoods. I wish it would, because if it was at that golf course I could walk to the games, but wishful thinking will not make it so. There are so many things wrong with that plan (zoning, transportation corridors, demographic draw, the list goes on) that it is pretty obvious that IF Katz has purchased this land that it is earmarked for something else. If Katz rattled a sabre and threatened to bully someone by moving the team to Millwoods, I think his posturing would be hindered somwhat by the resultant hoots of derisive laughter. The bottom line is Katz is a lot smarter than that.

Maybe it's his new house.

#7 RobinB
October 31 2008, 05:23PM

DJ: The purchase makes sense. It assures tee times April 12.

#8 Victory or Death
October 31 2008, 05:58PM

thats awful, i have 4 coupons for free rounds of golf there that i didn't use this year because they don't expire until the end of next year. I was going to sell those for beer money, but now I don't know if I can do that in good conscience. Screw conscience, if anyone wants to buy 4 coupons for a free round of golf at Mill Woods G&CC then let me know.

#9 Jerry MacWire
October 31 2008, 09:07PM

I pray this is true. Hockey games at Rexall make it far to difficult to cruise 118 Ave to score some poon and crack, too much traffic.

#10 Micah
November 01 2008, 01:55AM

Katz purchasing the golf course now as some sort of plan B is proposterous given the fact that all of the obvious preliminary road blocks to a downtown facility seem to fall into place quite well like...

City Council - Mandel and other key councilors like Anderson and Krushnell seem onboard and have made it obvious they would like to leave some sort of legacy from their tenure.

Land Procurement - The baccarat would love to piggy back on the new arena since their 55 million 2005 expansion was narrowly ixnayed by a 7-6 vote. They own some prime real estate there. If this isnt possible, its WAY more likely a location like the old City Center Airport would be a way better purchase for Katz and his arena.

Transportation - Theres a new LRT hub being put into the new Epcor development on 101st and 104ave...for no current reason since there is NOTHING THERE!...but perhaps for future use...I wonder what that could be.

Anyways, the point is, Katz wont go out and do some cowboy stunt at such an early stage when he really hasnt met any resistance!!! There hasnt been a referendum on whether taxpayers should foot the bill...the province hasnt said they wont kick anything in....if either of those things happen, then ya, maybe Katz will be on the horn with his real estate agent but until then...

Im gonna pencil in some tee times for 2009 at Millwoods Golf Course.

#11 Tommy Salo
November 01 2008, 07:24AM

The arena in downtown or the city center airport would also make sense in the scope of the Expo bid and the Kingsway/NAIT LRT extension

#12 milli
November 01 2008, 09:39AM

I'd love a millwoods arena, go to a game, watcha few stabbings, maybe a shooting......thatd be sweet, sweet like my halloween hangover sweet.

#13 David S
November 02 2008, 07:34PM

"if either of those things happen, then ya, maybe Katz will be on the horn with his real estate agent but until then"

Man, Katz didn't become as successful as he is by being reactive. The guy's like 10 steps ahead all the time. Its a chess game to him. You don't win at chess without having s strategy in place before you start the game. This might be plan 2-C (Project code: "The Millwoods gambit") for all we know.