What do you say?

Wanye
October 31 2008 10:36AM

Imagine you’re an Oiler right now. You make gagillions of dollars, you have the adoration of thousands of hard working folks in the OilersNation and you end each work day with a nice, long, hot shower with all of your co-workers.

Pretty sweet, huh?

You have your own dentist on call and a medical staff worthy of a reigning head of state standing by to keep you running at tip-top shape.

Decent perk.

You have access to trainers, nutritionists and sports psychologists who all want to help you remain at peak performance throughout your career.

Top drawer.

So if you’re an Oiler right now, what do you say to the trainer who arrives at work early to ice your injured hamstring? What do you tell your psychologist who had you thinking you were going to take on the world just a few weeks ago?

What do you say to your coaching staff, who’ve gone on record saying they see the most potential of any team in awhile wearing the copper and blue? They look like fools now and I'm sure they aren't pleased.

What do you say to your teammates who are clearly lost in the woods?

What do you say to the reporters seeking answers?

How do you look anyone in the eye?

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#1 Greg MC
October 31 2008, 10:56AM

The players cheques are still being cashed... I mean direct deposited. There doesn't seem to be any urgency to their play right now, and it looks like MacT has jumped the shark, as the accountability factor of the players appears low.

#2 Mother Pucker Hockey
October 31 2008, 11:08AM

Agreed that the accountability factor seems low. Last night as I watched Horcoff skate off the ice, he appeared to have a look on his face like "whatever."

Something needs to be done to spark these guys. There is far too much talent there to waste on one goal performances like this. Do I suggest firing anyone or trading anyone right now? No. Just something to spark the dressing room and get EVERYONE, not just MacT and MacI fired up out there.

#3 Jason
October 31 2008, 11:14AM

I question whether or not Hemsky has a god given right to be the player the team builds around?

Is he ever going to get it? Is he ever going to be "THE GUY"?

If the answer is no, what does that mean going forward?

Hard questions, but I think the team has been more than patient with him. Our so called "best" player has ZERO goals year to date, at a time when the "young" excuse is no longer there. He's a vet now. Start performing like it.

#4 jeanshorts
October 31 2008, 11:15AM

I found this interesting little tid bit over at downgoesbrown.blogspot.com

"Fact #2: They just do not quit.

This team skates hard from the opening faceoff to the final buzzer. Every shift. Everybody forechecks, even the guys who everyone knows aren't good at it. They attack the other team's zone relentlessly, pepper shots from everywhere and just never stop swarming.

If they fall behind, they keep coming at you until they can find a crack somewhere to get back into the game. If somebody gets hit, somebody else steps in and does something about it. They seem to genuinely like playing with each other.

Everybody blocks shots. Everybody finishes checks. Everybody competes. If they don't, they sit down next game and somebody else gets a chance."

That's about the Leafs by the way. Lee Foglin must be spinning in his grave thanks to the pitiful effort put forth by the Oilers over the last week and a bit.

#5 Tombo
October 31 2008, 11:36AM

These guys should be emberrased by the way they've played so far. They need to snap out of this in a hurry. Where was the desperation yesterday? Even Chopper seemed to be lacking his usual spark...

#6 The Towel Boy
October 31 2008, 11:38AM

I dunno how to say this, but I watched a Leafs game the other night...ok...check that...I watched a New Jersey game the other night, and I would agree, that team shows no quit. I think it's a product of not having any positive expectations. There is ZERO weight on the shoulders of that team. Ron Wilson even said b4 the season started he didn't have any expectations for his team, other than just playin' hockey.

#7 jeanshorts
October 31 2008, 11:44AM

I guess that's true. It appears like the Oilers have been absolutely crushed under the weight of some decent expectations for this year. I've said it before. I like MacT but it's time to inject some new blood into the regime. Someone like John Tortarella who will scare the shit out of Gagner anytime he coughs up a loose puck or whiffs on a scoring chance.

#8 David S
October 31 2008, 11:56AM

"It appears like the Oilers have been absolutely crushed under the weight of some decent expectations for this year."

Absolutely agreed.

I would also suggest that our two most important guys have yet to get their shit together. Those two being Hemsky and Gagner. In my opinion, Hemsky looks to be playing injured. With Sam, I think it'll take a while for him to get used to the magnitude of his destiny.

Those two guys getting their game back will drag the whole team up in the process.

#9 Fiveandagame
October 31 2008, 12:07PM

I think Hemmer has to be taken off the first line with Horcoff. Even last year they were not dominant. Throw Cole up as the number one guy on the right, and drop Hemmer down to the second line. Brodziak Moreau and Pisani should be our fourth line.

Call up a kid, send Stortini packing and shake this team up.

Katz won't put up with this for much longer.

#10 tricksnard
October 31 2008, 12:07PM

I sleep at night by convincing myself they're just pulling a reverse-senators-start from last season.

#11 Oilerhood&Apple Pie
October 31 2008, 12:28PM

Maybe they need to bring in Tonya Harding to take out knees of "our best players"...that will lower expectations and increase the desire of the team to play.

Seriously, they were more fun to watch in the Spring.

#12 RobinB
October 31 2008, 12:47PM

Seriously, they were more fun to watch in the Spring.

Translation, please.

#13 Fiveandagame
October 31 2008, 12:53PM

You know what bugs me? That we're even having this conversation. We should be talking about how awesome the Oilers are and how much we hate Calgary.....

#14 OregonStateFan
October 31 2008, 12:58PM

Robin, I think Oilerhood&Apple Pie's comment translates to two things:

1. Maybe they need to bring in Tonya Harding to take out knees of “our best players”…that will lower expectations and increase the desire of the team to play.

The team played better last spring when everyone was injured and everyone expected them to lose.

2. Seriously, they were more fun to watch in the Spring.

I like watching a winning team.

#15 J&J
October 31 2008, 12:59PM

I think they just have to reach down and give them a twist!!!!!!!!! Maybe sit down together and watch some game films from teams like the 74 Bruins or 76-77 Canadiens or even the 90 Oilers and what hockey was like when every body on the team did what they had to do to win! they stood up to anyone who got in there way! if they had to be mean and aggresive they did it! When the cute shit didnt work they put it away and got going by crashing the net and digging in the corners! none of this cross the blue line cut to the middle and try to make a saucer pass through Three sets of legs CRAP! So to answer your Question Wayne if i were an Oiler i would tell you its time for us pick up our balls and play the game it was meant to be played!

Thats just my opinion!

#16 nopantstuesday
October 31 2008, 01:07PM

I agree the oilers are not playing with heart right now. But I don't think firing MacT is the answer, its too early for that. Who are we? Chicago?

#17 Fiveandagame
October 31 2008, 01:10PM

You know what else also sucks? So desperate am I to have some sort of positive news about the Oilers, some sign that things will, change, a trade rumor...anything, I went to Eklund's psychic, crystal ball, soothsayer's anonymous web site....

Will K-Lowe and Tambi shake things up with an unexpected Ryan Smyth of a Trade?

Kovalchuck? Spezza? Marty Reasonor? ANYTHING

#18 J&J
October 31 2008, 01:34PM

nopantstuesday i never said they should fire MacT. I said the oilers have not heart and no grit right now! After the Bruins game i am pretty sure i heard MacT say in a Presser that they needed to get more involved in the dirty tough parts of the game. And they are still not doing it! so who's fault is it? The coach? Or the guys not doing what the coach has asked? I would bet my left nut that MacT at some point this season has said Screw the four passes before we shoot Just shoot and crash the net! so Why are they still trying to play like Crosby and Malkin?

Looking for an Answer.

#19 Jonathan Willis
October 31 2008, 01:43PM

Well, if MacTavish goes, the last guy the Oilers should hire is John Tortorella. His work with Vincent Lecavalier- who remains a one-dimensional, if incredibly talented, player - speaks for itself.

For a team with this group of young forwards, a coach from the Hitchcock school should be hired - a coach who can properly develop high-end players into complete players. The thing is, MacTavish remains that kind of coach; both Hemsky and Horcoff (at least, ignoring the beginning of this season) have been turned into complete players, and I'd certainly like to see Cogliano/Gagner/Nilsson etc. developed the same way.

#20 Tim S.
October 31 2008, 01:50PM

I don't get ripping on Hemsky. He has looked good the last handful of games. He is a playmaker, not a goal scorer. Cole is a playmaker as well, only he makes plays only for himself. Him on a line with Moreau is perfect as neither guy likes to move the puck.

The guy we should be ripping on is Horcoff. How many 1 timers has he missed?? He is living off his goals from last year, once in a while you have to stop the puck then shoot it.

Who would have ever thought almost 10 games in and Pouliot might be our best player so far?

#21 BUCK75
October 31 2008, 02:05PM

But I don’t think firing MacT is the answer, its too early for that. Who are we? Chicago?

Fo the past 2 years we the FANS have wanted to get rid of MacT. Robin has heard it when doing show with Bob, now it IS the topic of conversation again.

I think a big shake-up this road trip, if they drop 2 more games LOOK OUT!!!

Unfortunately the same old story will apply, it's easier to get rid of 1 guy instead of 21.

#22 baggedmilk
October 31 2008, 02:16PM

Please Lord the Oilers need to do something. If this keeps up I don't know how much more bodily harm I'll be able to inflict on myself and keep standing without assistance. So far I've undergone a sex change due to the loss in Vancouver and had to reveal that I now reproduce asexually from last night. Soon I'll be a steaming pile of man mush sprawled out on the floor and Wanye will have to clean that up.

#23 milli
October 31 2008, 02:16PM

I dunno what to say. But imagine for a moment that we don't steal the game against Colorado, get pretty lucky in Anahiem and squeeze out game four against those F__ing Lames???? Then we are talking about a disaster of a start, epically bad. Watching last night, I think they had a little jump, got a few chances, but NOT ONE bounce. Garon has to have the second one....I don't care how hard that puck is shot, we need that save. But really, as bad as it is, as long as they can win one of the next two, put the work in, get a couple of guys going....They will have salvaged what could have been the titanic of starts. Too much talent, this team still has too much talent to be this bad, I'm still confident they will pull out of it before it's a 20 game dash till we crash 1 point out. Hemmer's gonna get going, Gagner's gonna get going, Horc and penner too....

Can't wait till tom orrow mornings game....and 10 bucks on the oil....any takers???

#24 FS
October 31 2008, 02:18PM

No grit, no guts, no glory. Stortini is the biggest joke ever. Seriously, he might have a positive attitude, work hard and have a good work ethic, but so what! I have a positive attitude, I work hard and I have a good work ethic too! Maybe I can be an Oiler! Letting Glencross go was a big mistake, he and Brodziak playing together could have gotten the Oilers some of those crash the net type of goals that could get a team out of a slump.

#25 J&J
October 31 2008, 02:28PM

Why doeas it have to be Glencross crashing the net? why cant it be penner? Cole? Cogliano?etc.etc.etc. We dont need Glencross or Smyth to crash the net we need the guys we have to start doing it!

#26 David S
October 31 2008, 03:16PM

Letting Glencross go was a HUUUUGE mistake.

Also, this three goalie thing is beating us up pretty good to. I'm looking for something to break loose with one of them in a blockbuster trade soon.

#27 The Towel Boy
October 31 2008, 04:03PM

Yeah, they played the Glencross card a little goofy. He basically said he waited around all day for them to call, cuz they said they would...and they never. Mostly cuz they (Oilers) had visions of Jagrs and Hossas dancing in their heads...which, I can't say I blame them really. But yeah. Too bad we didn't keep him. I liked his spirit. He had decent hands and wheels man...wheels.

#28 baggedmilk
October 31 2008, 04:07PM

I have wheel and I'm willing to trade them in if it will help. 1981 Toyota Tercel WITH racing stripes. If the Oilers were a well oiled machine like this off road beast we'd be set.

#29 What were they thinking
October 31 2008, 04:51PM

It seems the team is lacking an identity and what chemistry they had has gone south. No scoring! No grit! No puck control! Their best players aren't playing like best players. Who uses three goaltenders? Who is accountable for this mess of a team? At the present rate of losing, the Oil will be out of the playoffs by mid-November. Meanwhile Calgary is on a 5-game win streak, God forbid.

#30 jdrevenge
October 31 2008, 05:25PM

Seemed to be a bit of a discrepancy between Mac's post game comments and those coming from Horcoff and Moreau. Mac seemed pretty pissed that the guys have no finish and Horcoff and Moreau were just kind of shrugging it off. Good cop bad cop? maybe...

#31 Antony Ta
November 01 2008, 07:26AM

I'd be down for Kovalchuk.