Stay fresh 'til death

Wanye
December 19 2008 11:21AM

Just in time for the holiday season (?) NationGear has arrived. Assuming you don’t start your holiday shopping until the 19th of December -– and you won’t be needing any gifts before Christmas (allow a week for shipping) -– we have the holiday gift of the season for you!

We’ve been getting requests for awhile now to bring out some sort of Nation clothing. We sat down with a local company a few months back and had the longest conversation about clothing in our entire lives. We talked about how we used to proudly wear Boston Bruins sweatpants to school once upon a time but lately find that the hockey gear out there is pretty over the top and can’t be worn for fear “ladies” won’t “talk to us.” We wanted NationGear to look funky fresh – but not overtly “website” or “hockey.”

Then the clothing wizards at Spark talked to some local graphic designers here in E-town and voila: NationGear is born. We had a bunch of questions for the NationDude in charge of all of this, which are neatly summarized below in case you are wondering the same things.

Q&A with the Guy who invented NationGear

Wanye Gretz: Forty bucks for a T-shirt? Who do you think you are -– Tommy Hilfiger?

NationDude: Well Wanye, we aren’t exactly ordering runs of 10,000 shirts here so the cost of the shirts is quite high. We use the best American Apparel brand T-Shirts and high quality printing. Plus we had to pay for designers. That costs money.

WG: We don’t buy it. What else you got?

NationDude: We are also going to donate a significant amount of the proceeds to each shirt to the Kids with Cancer Society . The exact amount per T-shirt run will vary as we hopefully get to order larger runs and prices fall. But from time to time we will update the Nation on how much money we have donated to this excellent cause.

WG: You corporate bastards. What else are you going to try and sell us down the road? Human organs? Mutual Funds? Some sort of salmon-flavoured cola?

Nation Dude: Depending on the response from the Nation we will be introducing hats, hoodies and other t-shirt designs in the near future. All designed by local artists and made here in Edmonton.

WG: Sadly that doesn’t work for us. We only buy apparel made on the steamy shores of Honduras by child labourers so young they can barely stand. That reminds us -- is NationGear available in any local stores?

NationDude: For now it is only available here at OilersNation.com but we think we will have a deal with an exclusive retailer in 2009.

WG: Most importantly, will wearing NationGear help us score with the ladies?

NationDude: Undoubtedly.

There you have it we guess. Finally we have clothing nice enough to be both married and buried in.

You’re welcome society.

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#1 The Towel Boy
December 19 2008, 11:53AM

Who saw this coming?

#2 BUCK75
December 19 2008, 01:29PM

I have just bought my new schwag. I will proudly display my "grill" & "revolution" shirts for the 10's of people I come in contact with to see.

Good Job!!!

#3 Engineer
December 19 2008, 03:53PM

Your shirts are nice, but where can I get my hands on the outfit featured in the picture above?? I like that it has pockets. Sylish AND functional.

#4 RBK
December 19 2008, 04:16PM

It's awesome that you guys are giving money to kids with cancer. w00t w00t!!

#5 r59
December 19 2008, 04:32PM

RBK wrote:

It’s awesome that you guys are giving money to kids with cancer. w00t w00t!!

I agree with RBK. Lots of sites sell gear but you are the only ones I have seen that give money to charity. I'll be buying one.

#6 Lubo71
December 19 2008, 05:01PM

SWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!

#7 BB
December 19 2008, 05:09PM

Very nice! ...and donations toward charity too! Very good work fellas!

So, can we get some Flames-bashing t-shirts to deal with that Edmonton "losers" atrocity that's everywhere here in Calgary? Please!?

#8 Mimi
December 19 2008, 05:19PM

This is awesome guys. Kids with Cancer is a great cause and the shirts look great!!

Get hats!!

#9 Smokin' Ray
December 19 2008, 08:04PM

Nice shirts boys. I want the teeth design in Boxer shorts. The gap would make a nice fly area.

excellent work.

#10 RobinB
December 20 2008, 08:44AM

Love the GRILL. Who was the model for the teeth -- a 59-year-old, two-pack-a-day homeless guy?

#11 EddieH
December 20 2008, 02:12PM

AWESOME!! I have just made my order! Hopefully Santa can get it to me ASAP

#12 Amber McCormick
December 20 2008, 02:41PM

Will a ladies line be made available at some point? (not that I'm implying that I am a lady- we'll all know better than that at this point)

#13 Wanye Gretz
December 22 2008, 10:20AM

Amber McCormick wrote:

Will a ladies line be made available at some point? (not that I’m implying that I am a lady- we’ll all know better than that at this point)

All t-shirts are available in ladies sizes. Short of ordering frilly something somethings and stenciling "OILERZ" on it in pink this is the best we know how to do.

We take advice though...

#14 The Towel Boy
December 22 2008, 01:38PM

RobinB wrote:

Love the GRILL. Who was the model for the teeth — a 59-year-old, two-pack-a-day homeless guy?

...yah...Wanye.