Up and Down

Jonathan Willis
December 02 2008 01:27PM

By now, we’ve all heard the news (broken by Robin Brownlee here at OilersNation) that Rob Schremp has been recalled from the Springfield Falcons. The logical place for Schremp to enter the line-up is where Robert Nilsson exited it – on the left wing of a line featuring Andrew Cogliano and Sam Gagner, although I would imagine that there’s also a possibility of Marc Pouliot taking that spot.

I’m reasonably optimistic about this move. I’ve never been a backer of Schremp –- in my first post, I compared him to Jason Dawe. Outside of one season in junior, Schremp isn’t the elite offensive player that so many have imagined. That said, he’s been a consistent point producer in the AHL, and there isn’t any reason to believe that he can’t carry that over to the NHL with him.

Here are Rob Schremp’s stats over the past two seasons in the AHL:

2007-08: 78GP 23G 53A 76PTS 64PIM

2008-09: 18GP 1G 17A 18PTS 10PIM

While it may look like he’s just maintaining his pace from last year, Lowetide made a nice point in his blog last night. Borrowing from him, here are Rob Schremp's even-strength scoring statistics:

2007-08: 71GP 8G 21A 29 PTS (.408 PTS/game)

2008-09: 18GP 1G 12A 13 PTS (.722 PTS/game)

It’s quite a jump. The other thing to bear in mind here is that Schremp is still shooting -– Chris in that same thread over at Lowetide’s pointed out that Schremp has 36 shots. That 2.7 SH% is not going to continue; Schremp is far too good an offensive player to be converting at that rate.

This off-season, I advocated trading Schremp because I felt he was NHL-ready, and I didn’t see an NHL spot that he had a realistic chance of getting. Now, I hope that he’ll force the Oilers’ hand -– play well enough at the NHL level that sending him back to Springfield isn’t realistic.

And Down

Well, he hasn’t been demoted or reassigned anywhere, but Devan Dubnyk has come crashing back to Earth after an incredible start. On November 17, the AHL named Dubnyk their Player of the Week after he went 2-1 with a 1.30 GAA and a .968 SV% in three games. At that point, Dubnyk was 7-6-1 with a 2.44 GAA and a .924 SV% on the season. In the five games since, he’s gone 2-3 with a 3.66 GAA and .875 SV%. His record on the season is now 9-9-1, 2.76 GAA and .912 SV%, which, while putting him on pace with Jeff Deslauriers’ performance last season, is only 19th overall in the AHL.

Dubnyk needs to be more than an average AHL starter if he’s going to earn an NHL job.

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
#1 JB
December 02 2008, 01:59PM

Ugh. Will the Oil ever have a real #1 goalie? I have doubts about both JDD and Dubnyk, Garon is clearly not in the plans (Damn you Pete Peeters!) and Rollie reminds me of Estelle Getty from the Golden Girls in both age and disposition. We're pooched. Martin Gerber or Johan Hedberg in 09/10 anyone?

#2 Neil R.
December 02 2008, 02:21PM

"Martin Gerber or Johan Hedberg in 09/10 anyone?"

I hear Emery is going to be looking for a job next year lol.

#3 JB
December 02 2008, 02:26PM

Ray Emery wouldn't able to handle Edmonton traffic without killing a senior citizen.

#4 Ender the Dragon
December 02 2008, 02:38PM

Well, JB, if MacT is truly finished with the Oilers, then it's highly possible that Pete Peters may be right behind him. Maybe you'll get your Christmas wish after all.

#5 JB
December 02 2008, 02:49PM

I think MacT's dismissal would just be a start. The roster needs to be shuffled a bit. Sadly, I put smart money are neither of those things happening.

#6 Cam
December 02 2008, 03:59PM

I would expect a trade before any coaching changes.

It will probably involve a smallish forward and we will probably get someone more gritty in exchange.

I would expect that the three headed monster will be recitified before Christmas

#7 Antony Ta
December 03 2008, 12:53AM

Being on pace with DesLauriers means he's only an average AHL starter but the elder of the two earns the spot while circumstances are different for the two goaltenders. Dubnyk could easily be 2B where DesLauriers is 2A while one of Garon and Roloson would play the guidance role.