Delauriers and XMAS Din Din

Jason Gregor
December 27 2008 02:51PM

How do you feel after gorging yourself with two dinners a day for three days?Satisfied, but also dreading stepping on the scale and realizing you will have to resort to three straight days of booze - the only diet to get rid of the excess weight, because as Wanye says, “exercise is overrated.”

I’m guessing a goalie feels the same after not playing in a month. Jeff Deslauriers hasn’t played since a 4-3 loss in Dallas on November 30th. He is rustier than a guy who’s been married for 20 years, gets divorced and then has to go and wheel the ladies. It’s not pretty and neither would Deslauriers’ next NHL start be after sitting out for a month, so expect the Oilers to send him down to Springfield on a conditioning stint.

Now that the trade embargo and waiver freeze is over, Deslauriers can be sent down to see some rubber. Under the CBA, a team can send a player down for a two-week conditioning stint that doesn’t require him to clear waivers. A player basically needs to be inactive for close to a month for it to be considered legitimate, and not just a way to bypass the waiver process.

The Oilers want JDD to get down to Springfield and get him at least five or six games. Expect him to be sent down this coming Monday. That would give him a day or two of practice before the Falcons play on Wednesday. When the Oilers send him down on Monday, Dec 29th, he could play up to eight games in the two weeks that he is allowed to be there. He won’t play in all eight games, since there are two sets of three games in three nights, but you can expect him to play six. Here is the Springfield schedule for the next two weeks:

Wed Dec 31 v. Hershey Fri Jan 02 v. Manchester Sat Jan 03 v. Providence Sun Jan 04 @ Portland Wed Jan 07 v. Binghamton Fri Jan 09 v. Hartford Sat Jan 10 @ Portland Sun Jan 11 @ Portland

Look for Deslauriers to play on the 31st, 02, 03, 07, 09 and then either the 10th or the 11th. And Springfield could use him having lost seven of their last eight going into tonight’s game v. Hartford.

Devan Dubynk has carried the load in Springfield starting 30 of the 31 games, so he could use a bit of a breather having allowed 3 or more goals in his last eight games. This isn’t the ideal situation for Deslauriers and the Oilers, but when he is recalled expect him to see NHL rubber right away. He will return to Edmonton on January 12th, and once he is recalled the Oilers hope to have found a trading partner to solve their three-headed monster. I’ve been told that Steve Tambellini has been working the phones for a month trying to solve the problem, but so far no team is interested in either Garon or Roloson. There has been lots of interest in Deslauriers, but the Oilers don’t want to move him.

NAMES THAT TEAMS ASK FOR

The names that opposing GMs throw out the most when trade talks arise are Andrew Cogliano, Tom Gilbert and Jeff Deslauriers. I have it confirmed that not one single team has even brought up Rob Schremp’s name in a trade. It is interesting that just before Christmas Marc Pouliot started to get some feelers. I’m not a big rumour spreader, so I’m not saying that he will be moved, but it is interesting to hear what players other teams are interested in. Of course Ales Hemsky’s name comes up, but it’s not a long conversation obviously.

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#51 kris
December 29 2008, 05:20PM

Robin:

I'm not surprised you only responded to my jibes. (And BTW, I know you're a "resident writer." There was no mistake to realize. You are, at least sometimes, a troll in spirit.)

Why didn't you respond to my substantive criticism? You know, the one where I showed you were overeacting like a crazy person. I'll repost it for you:

"Robin B said:

“One last thing: did you really cite Lidstrom as an example of a non-physical shutdown guy, like I didn’t know that…”

This is extremely funny and shows Robin was itching for a fight because Jonathon had actually said,

“Lidstrom is the OBVIOUS example”

I mean, that word “obvious” plays an important role; it allows Jonathon to cite Lidstrom as evidence for his conclusion without being condescending.

Shame on you Robin."

#52 RobinB
December 29 2008, 05:25PM

@ rindog: All the aspects you talk about with Gilbert, beyond his points totals, are important parts of the make-up of any player.

Gilbert is a good player, but he was an overpay when the contract was signed and he'll be a worse overpay two years from now because the cap will have gone down. At the same time, what the Oilers can expect from him will not have changed to any great degree. If he's better than a second-pairing defenceman, then your defence is not good enough.

What you see with Gilbert now is about what you're going to get. He's a well-rounded defenceman who would fit into the second pairing of virtually all 30 NHL teams. That hardly makes him a bum, it just doesn't make him worth $5.5 million in salary and a $4M cap hit.

#53 sns2
December 29 2008, 08:10PM

Wow! I thought being an Oilers beat writer bought you some respect in this city, but I guess not. Folks this is not a Bryan Hall who tries to pass off media scrum questions as his own on-on-ones, and his point is salient, Gilbert is a second-pairing defenceman and a bit overpaid for what he's giving us now, and in all likelihood, still will be at the end of his contract unless something drastically changes.

Couple this with the birth certificates of our top two d-men and we probably are going to be a bit hamstrung cap-wise, especially when you factor in our largest cap conundrum, Horcoff. It's already been alluded to, but the White House never saw this economic downturn coming, so it's kind of hard to hold Lowe responsible for locking up young, promising players in an ever-escalating cap world.

But seriously guys, it's a bit comical when people go head-to-head with arguably the best sports reporter this city has had in decades. And no, I haven't forgotten about Jim Matheson.

#54 RobinB
December 29 2008, 08:49PM

@ sns2: I appreciate the compliment, but Matty is the top guy.

A lot of what I know and who I know is because Jim was very gracious and generous with his time and sources when we started working the beat together before I assumed the lead role. No reporter in any city across the NHL is more respected by general managers, coaches, players and other writers than Jim.

Matty is the benchmark in this town.

#55 rindog
December 29 2008, 09:01PM

@ sns2:

So no one else is entitled to an opinion?

Where is this disrespect you speak of?

Last time I checked, this was a hockey forum and people were encouraged to express their thoughts.

RB - no disrespect intended but I think sns2 is looking for a little more than a thank you....

#56 sns2
December 29 2008, 10:54PM

@ rindog:

I don't recall addressing my post to you in particular, but if the shoe fits...

As far as the disrespect, read the 52 posts before I put my two cents and it should be apparent. I also know what a forum is, but there's a fine line between matching wits, disagreeing, et. al., and spouting off or getting in a urinating match.

I haven't got my shorts in a knot, I have no idea of any past history between Mr. Brownlee and other regs on this forum, and I certainly am not looking for any thank you from anyone; the truth of the matter is that this reporter craps out more inside knowledge about the game each morning than you, I, and twenty other hardcore fans possess collectively. I've also never met Mr. Brownlee or spoken with him on radio, but I have been reading him since he came to this city and will once again state that he is ARGUABLY the best this city has to offer, and the reason I mentioned Jim Matheson is because if I didn't I was sure that the first replies would be about him being the best, not Mr. Brownlee. The bottom line is that people who have earned their living for decades by being in the know, simply have access to infinitely more info than you or I probably ever will. So it really doesn't matter if we were talking about Terry Jones, Mark Spector, or Dan Barnes, my post would have been the same.

Having said all of that, I solidly agree with Mr. Brownlee concerning cap issues and our defencemen, and will continue to look forward to reading lightweights trade punches with a heavyweight.