GDB 24: Oh so you CAN fire a coach!

Wanye
December 03 2008 09:55AM

So let’s get this straight. Head Coach Peter Laviolette was fired in Carolina today. That’s right, apparently head coaches aren’t Dictators-for-life like we’ve been led to believe. And he WON the Cup in 2006, not like our guy who has recently taken to trying to scrap fans during away games.

Really, MacT? This is how you want to go out, is it. Not with class -- but trying to scrap out-of-work lumberyard worker in Dallas as your spectacularly underperforming team implodes in the last two minutes against one of the worst teams in the league? This is the guy Andrew Cogliano is supposed to look to for guidance and inspiration...

Compare and contrast with a team that is willing to hold people accountable for their actions. What’s the deal in Carolina? What would lead to such drastic action being taken? Let’s have a look shall we:

The Hurricanes broke through in the past couple of years with an unlikely Stanley Cup Victory in 2006. They followed up this Championship year by missing the playoffs in 2007–08 and have consistently underachieved since then. They have been mediocre at best so far in the 2008–09 season posting a 12-11-2 record through their first 25 games.

Remind you of anyone? Anyone around here? A Canadian team perhaps? Took their fans on a long Cup run a few years back and then got booted in the beans by some 6’4” donkey? Have played well below the expectations set by their own head coach? A local team? With a new owner looking to make his stamp on the organization?

Ah forget it.

Wonder which of the 15 goalies will be starting tonight...

-- Big ups to MSG again for his alerts. And a big thank you to Nation reader Dryden Roesch for sending over the featured cartoon. People with talent are foreign in these parts but this is a classic.

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#1 Neil R.
December 03 2008, 10:07AM

"Wonder which of the 15 goalies will be starting tonight"

Rumor has it Smid may start between the pipes since he isn't working out as a 7th defenseman/new winger.

#2 MSG
December 03 2008, 10:11AM

I don't know how an organization like the Canes - with a small fan base, sitting on the 7th page of the sports section behind lawn darts - can go to such measures like this in order to succeed.

Compare that to the Oilers - the hottest ticket in town, every advantage that could be given to a team - yet they sit firmly on their hands and watch the team self destruct.

Oh and Wanye - stop using my name. That ain't free.

#3 The Towel Boy
December 03 2008, 10:22AM

I have it on good authority that I don't know who will start in net tonight.

If I had a guess, I'd say Jeff Donaldson.

But that would be a lame guess since I don't know who he is. Or if he even plays hockey. Or even if he's a real person.

GOILERS!

#4 Wanye Gretz
December 03 2008, 10:28AM

TB -

I hope Jeff Donaldson does start in net tonight. He owes me $20 bucks and perhaps now I can collect from that SOB

#5 Zamboni Driver
December 03 2008, 10:29AM

This wrong. SO wrong. Incredibly wrong - I take significant issue!!

Pronger is 6'6".

Other than that item, yeah, what he(you) said.

#6 milli
December 03 2008, 10:50AM

Maybe we could form a sepertist coalition to force MacT from power? And, while where at it, maybe we could force Klo from power? And, while where at it, maybe we could force Avery's sloppy seconds to be my tinky tirds!!!!!

#7 tricksnard
December 03 2008, 10:52AM

Garon has the start tonight according to TSN ice chips.

#8 shakey
December 03 2008, 11:37AM

Wayne, I think you're missing the point here. Laviolette won the Cup, he was successful in his one-hit wonder season. They got what they needed from him. Now that the messenger can't get his message accross it's time to move on. Clearly there is some unfinished business here in E-Town and someone really wants Mac T to get that cup. His message hasn't changed in 8 years and it's obvious it's still getting across. A couple more years and 15 to 20 more roster changes and we too could be on the path to Stanley once again. Mac T is like margarine, he has no expiry date, you can keep him forever and he won't go bad. Where's the Kool-aid, I'm thirsty now.

#9 Antony Ta
December 03 2008, 11:38AM

I thought things were bad in Edmonton, but then I looked at it from NYI's perspective...

If Daryl Katz was like Charles Wang, Dwayne Roloson would be in line to be our next GM and even if we managed to hire Scotty Bowman he'd find a way to get him fired.

But in OilerVision, having all the boys on the bus running the show is equally suffocating as well. They should start by firing Kelly Buchberger and then figure out if they want to clean house.

#10 Antony Ta
December 03 2008, 11:38AM

Oh, and he'd sign Jeff DesLauriers to a 15 year contract.

#11 baggedmilk
December 03 2008, 11:44AM

If the Oilers lose for a second time to the Stars I am going to hang jeanshorts from rafters next to Hamilton's jersey. The Stars played last night, and anything less than 2 points is ridiculous.

In any case, I have the Fire MacT Bandwagon full of gas and standing by. I stole a small child's bike tires and now the front wheels on the FMB has noise makers on the spokes. People will know we're coming and recoil in terror.

#12 Jonathan Willis
December 03 2008, 11:45AM

You're reading this wrong, Wanye.

Laviolette was fired and replaced by Paul Maurice, who coached the Canes for 8 seasons.

In other words, MacTavish will be fired and replaced with Torterella. The Oilers will miss the playoffs this year, before winning a cup under Tortorella next season. Then, 2 and a half seasons later, Tortorella will be fired and replaced by Craig MacTavish.

#13 Gord
December 03 2008, 11:52AM

LMFAO @ JW!!!

#14 guy
December 03 2008, 12:11PM

Dallas is missing Ott and Avery tonite, in addition to Zubov, Morrow, and Lehtinen, and is playing their second in as many nights - maybe we can set a new low? Oh wait, how much lower can we go... Hope they turn this around. The first step would be kicking Pouliot out on his ass. Hopefully MacT continues the trend in reducing this juggernaut's ice time.

#15 Clarkenstein
December 03 2008, 12:19PM

I'm sure nobody has noticed but this morning the mighty MacT Oil are D.F.L. And I don't want to hear from the coneheads that say "Ya, but only 4 points out of a playoff spot". That's like saying a guy can't drown in 7 feet of water. Great story Wanye... agree 100%.

#16 jeanshorts
December 03 2008, 12:21PM

"Hopefully MacT continues the trend in reducing this juggernaut’s ice time."

Going by the trend this year, he'll put Pou on the first line in favor of Hemsky, put him in Souray's spot on the PP, and also give him fourth line minutes. You've got to try and get a spark, am I right?

#17 guy
December 03 2008, 12:30PM

Perhaps MacT's thinking is that Pou's so good now he only needs to play 3:02 (like in Dallas) to completely change the game around. I mean, the guys a superstar, why work any more than you have to? I guess I can see where Mac's coming from... What a joke.

#18 Jonathan Willis
December 03 2008, 12:38PM

Fun question for all of you folks talking about Pouliot:

What would you have preffered MacTavish do with Pouliot (other than give him 3:02 of TOI)? Scratch him in favour of, who, exactly?

Unless I'm very much mistaken, it is the general manager of the hockey club who promotes/demotes/waives player personnel.

In other words, if there is an issue with Pouliot being on the roster, you're aiming at the wrong target.

#19 Sing A Song For SingSing
December 03 2008, 12:42PM

6-3 Dallas.

Modano with 2 goals and an assist.

Turco plays brilliant.

Edmonton carried on its way through Cali, losing in LA and San Jose creating a 4 game losing streak.

MacT fired by end of next week.

One can dream, can't they?

#20 Jonathan Willis
December 03 2008, 12:45PM

Further on my Pouliot comment:

Pouliot's averaging 10:41 TOI/game, good for 11th among forwards.

Which of the players below him (Reddox, Sestito, Stortini, Boulerice, MacIntyre) deserved more ice-time than him?

MacTavish has played him, by and large, as a 4th line forward, which is what he is. If there's an argument that Schremp, Potulny, Brule et al. should be on this team instead of Pouliot, that's an argument that the GM isn't doing his job, not the coach.

There are a ton of things to criticize MacTavish about this season; Pouliot isn't one of them.

#21 Jonathan Willis
December 03 2008, 12:47PM

Bold (and baseless) prediction:

3-1 Edmonton (Cogliano, Gagner, Hemsky, Modano). Schremp with 2 assists, and a strong performance from one of the goaltenders - let's say Conklin.

#22 guy
December 03 2008, 12:54PM

Good reminder on the GM bit (seriously). But he must take coaching evaluations in mind when he does promote/demote etc. It's easy to be angry with MacT though for some of the situations he's put Pouliot out for. I was just saying I hope the trend continue of the last two games (3:32, 3:02) and Pouliot continues to only be played in a 4th line role. I would prefer not to see him out on the PP anymore or see him playing consistently in the last few minutes of a game we are already trailing.

#23 Cam
December 03 2008, 01:06PM

Garon in net... let's in a softie in first and then locks the door and Oilers pot four goals, one of them being assisted by Robbie.

I bet Penner and Brodziak both get another goal so MacT tries benching everyone on the team one at a time to increase production.

#24 The Towel Boy
December 03 2008, 01:27PM

What?!? no Jeff Donaldson? Frick.

#25 Ender the Dragon
December 03 2008, 02:02PM

Sing A Song For SingSing Says: MacT fired by end of next week. One can dream, can’t they?

SingSong, so who's this bright new future that you're hoping they put behind the bench for next week that's going to magically overnight make the Oilers an .800 hockey club? I hear Peter Laviolette's available . . .

#26 Fiveandagame
December 03 2008, 03:15PM

JW - I love your prediction, Schremp put up some points could ignite that line and force Tambi to trade someone for a center.

AND Pou gets all the icetime her deserves, and unless Tambi wants to call up Brule and boot poo out of the organization, then getting used sparingly in ways that don't hurt the team is fine with me.

#27 Antony Ta
December 03 2008, 03:37PM

Hilarious.

Unless I’m very much mistaken, it is the general manager of the hockey club who promotes/demotes/waives player personnel. In other words, if there is an issue with Pouliot being on the roster, you’re aiming at the wrong target.

Kind of the reason why we have Strudwick stinking it up with Staios instead of playing Smid or Peckham, along with 3 interchangeable goaltenders instead of one clearcut starter and no real checking line centerman.

#28 Fiveandagame
December 03 2008, 03:41PM

I love a good game day thread...They are awesome. GAME DAY!

#29 Lubo71
December 03 2008, 03:45PM

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME DAY!

#30 Smokin' Ray
December 03 2008, 03:54PM

Is Mr. Poo going to be the next whipping boy? We haven't had a good one since Bergeron left. I bet MacT wishes we had one right about now.

#31 Smokin' Ray
December 03 2008, 03:56PM

HAHA! My wife just gave me crap for being on here already.

Game Day. Yeah!

#32 Jonathan Willis
December 03 2008, 03:57PM

I'm not sure I'd go that far Anthony - MacTavish's public defense of the Staios-Strudwick pairing defies logic; it's his own fault he doesn't swap Smid for one of those two.

#33 Wanye Gretz
December 03 2008, 03:58PM

Has anyone forgot that Dennis Grebeshkov is the worst hockey player to suit them up since uh, everyone?

It's fun to rip a player when they are sucking but the team is playing well. When the team is DFL and players suck its just depressing.

Know what isn't depressing? GAAME DAY BIATCHES!

#34 Smokin' Ray
December 03 2008, 04:00PM

Oh...and good on Jordan Eberle and Riley Nash for being invited to WJC camp. Nice to be represented.

#35 The Towel Boy
December 03 2008, 04:08PM

Who saw this coming?

#36 BUCK75
December 03 2008, 05:29PM

HAHA! My wife just gave me crap for being on here already. Game Day. Yeah!

No kidding - good thing my better half has yoga tonight otherwise I'd be hearing it too.

GAAME DAY BIATCHES!

I thught that was replaced by GDB. Those 10's of 12 year olds who frequent this site will have disinfect their eyes with bleach.

I am disappointed that your word (as I am too cheap to pay the quarter to use it)hasn't appeared on UrbanDictionary yet Wanye.

#37 BUCK75
December 03 2008, 05:32PM

MacT should get replaced by Ted Green or George Burnett to put the Hurricanes coach recycling in perspective.

Nepotism stinks in Raleigh too as Ron Francis will be taking the assistant coach as well.

#38 Antony Ta
December 03 2008, 05:40PM

Well the Smid at F left me scratching my head but for some reason he does not feel inclined to play him instead of Strudwick. Confuses me.

#39 freeze
December 03 2008, 06:19PM

My wife's dad is taking me to the game! good luck Justice League, spare no insult or funny quip!!

oh and I think the RSS feed is b0rked.

#40 jeanshorts
December 03 2008, 06:22PM

Hurl something at MacT if we lose again Freeze.

#41 jeanshorts
December 03 2008, 06:32PM

Man, Kovalchuck is just a beauty. He's going to look so nice in Oilers silks.

#42 BUCK75
December 03 2008, 06:48PM

I would love to have Kovalchuk - Pierre has been RAVING about him :p

#43 Fiveandagame
December 03 2008, 06:59PM

George Burnette...HA!

I haven't heard that name in years...wow that was a disaster....

you nknow what's exciting? MY wife thinks I am doing work right now but in reality....

IT"S GAME DAY BEEEOTCHES!!!!! effin eh boys...effin eh?

AND

Schrempy McSchremperson is in the line up on the second line! The world is so topsy turvy tonight, the Oil might actually win...

#44 BUCK75
December 03 2008, 07:04PM

Free Pizza if Ottawa scores 6 goals in a game? Should dangle that idea in front of Penner

#45 Hockey Gods
December 03 2008, 07:16PM

Buck you are hired as head coach. Finally a new idea to motivate our boys. I heard that on the game too.

Now how would you motivate Gags, 3 points gets him a date with an Earls waitress?

#46 BUCK75
December 03 2008, 07:33PM

GAME TIME BITCHES!!!

The only motivation Cogs & Gags need is to get Guitar Hero World Tour under the xmas tree...

#47 Hockey Gods
December 03 2008, 07:34PM

Eff guitar hero, get them rock band and then they can work as a team.

#48 Fiveandagame
December 03 2008, 07:34PM

I LOVE that theme song....:) GAME DAY!!!!

#49 jeanshorts
December 03 2008, 07:35PM

World Tour is the same thing as Rock Band. Drums and all. Though I've heard Rock Band is much better. So. Yeah. Go with Rock Band.

#50 BUCK75
December 03 2008, 07:35PM

Guitar Hero copied the Rock Band thing this year in time for Xmas.

Who care about Avery, it's not like he was asking Dion to DP her...