On a night that began with darkness

Wanye
December 31 2008 10:09AM

So let's get this straight for those of you who weren't paying attention last night. The Senators waltz into town having lost 12 games in a row in the road. Twelve games Nation. The last time they won on the road the US had a vibrant economy, Mathieu Garon was considered a starting goalie in the NHL and oil was north of $120 per barrel.

The local Oil on the other hand had become more valuable of late too, having won three in a row including a whomping of the Predators earlier in the week that cost them Ales Hemsky. Two Canadian teams heading in different directions it seemed, meeting at RX1 on another snowy night to do battle.

So you knew there was going to be only one way that this game would ultimately turn out. A 25-minute delay to start the game because of lighting failure, the Oil teasing us for the majority of the game and then gassing it late. Throw in a first career NHL goal by something called a "Brian Lee" and you have your game right there. 50 CCs of disappointment serum headed straight to our brain where we need it the most.

Post-game fun

Now normally we don't listen to post-game shows if we aren't driving home from the game down back alleys trying to avoid checkstops. But on this night we decided to give our pal Gregor -- who was guest hosting the post-game show on Team 1260 -- a listen to see what's what.

75% of his callers were either:

a) hammered

b) under the age of 12 or

c) hammered.

The rest were hopping mad at the Oil for losing another one and seemed to think yelling at Gregor would send a message directly to the Edmonton Oilers Trading Department. It was great fun to listen to.

From what we could gather here seems to be the consensus around the OilersNation after last night's loss:

1. Liam Reddox is a piece of crap: When an AHL player gets the call and is inserted into the top line for a game, scores a goal, gets three shots on net and generally has about the most productive game you can get from him there is only one conclusion that you can come to. Liam Reddox is a piece of crap. This argument is rock solid.

2. Shawn Horcoff is a bigger piece of crap: Coming off a night where he was named third star, had two assists and looked generally quite solid for most of the evening Horcoff was the secondary focus of the rage of Oilers fans. It makes perfect sense to rip on the highest scoring forward on the team not rhyming with Gemsky.

Doesn't make any sense to us. Mind you, we are neither an elementary school student nor drunk.

Yet.

Happy New Year Nation. See you in '09.

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#1 Big Deal
December 31 2008, 10:24AM

If Liam Reddox is one of the best players for your team, your team is in big trouble! Garon looked really bad on Alfredson's goal. Yes, Souray was screening the shot, but this is the NHL. You have to stop that shot. Garon has to be better to get more ice time. This is the type of loss that keeps the Oilers from moving up the standings. Good teams prey on teams like Ottawa that are on long losing streaks and long road trips. The Oilers won't move up the standings unless the win these games.

#2 BUCK75
December 31 2008, 10:33AM

Vancouver has already improved their team acquiring Sundin & now another goalie should Captain Lou be out for an extended period. WHAT IS OUR TEAM DOING!?!?!?

While I agree that the Kevin Quinn dubbed Red-Ox has absolutely no business skating with Penner & Horcoff, he was probably the best player for most of the game. Hopefully Brule takes the little leprechaun's spot on the first line tonight.

We need a huge reality check, Calgary & Vancouver are playing considerably better than our team, even with a big move in the dressing room it is an uphill battle to make the play-offs. If you cannot be motivated by a 9-2 loss to go on a torrid win streak what else can you do?

I am so disappointed with this lack of consistency I had best stop my incoherent ranting.

#3 Jason Gregor
December 31 2008, 10:44AM

Wanye,

Not only did you listen you penned an e-mail, and actually a rather intelligent one. To be fair there were only 4 idiots, but most of us remember them. I love the post game fire of some people, while the idiots who are drinking-the-first-beer-of-their-life make me laugh. It's great to rip them, and even better when you call them out and they slither away. It's all good fun.

BUCK,

"Head shots are big league wide, but when our best player gets knocked out by one & Pouliot (who has shown flashes of becoming an effective player) are knocked out of games & nobody except the guy with the smashed wrist gets mad, what else can you do. I think that this problem is so far beyond coaching, it is totally on the other guys not wearing the goalie skates!!!"

Problem is that Pouliot wasn't a head shot, that was as clean a hit as you'll see. THis is hockey, sometimes you just get plastered. Do you remember people fighting Torres when he used to crush guys? I agree that a Tootoo shouldn't be running at Hemsky, but Foligno on Pouliot are the same type of players and that was a clean hit. You can't have a fight after every clean hit, sometimes you just have to accept that your guy got clocked.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to the loyal NATION readers.

#4 JackBauer
December 31 2008, 11:04AM

I think the bigger question out of last nights game is why is the officating in this league, utter and complete garbage. Why do we have 4 striped men on the ice to call holds that should be called dives, to not call holds when the guy has 2 hands wrapped around the guys head, or not call a dive when #11 falls around another Oiler? In all the sports I watch, there not one that has worse officating than the NHL. Not in any other league do calls get blown at such a regular pace as they do in this league. I know its weak to blame the officating for the Oilers loss, but they certainly had a hand in it, and that alone is awful.

#5 Tony Romo
December 31 2008, 11:22AM

I knew that was Wanye when I heard the email. Making fun of callers with offside remarks. LOL

#6 Guy who watched PVR'd version of game hours later...aka The Towel Boy
December 31 2008, 11:25AM

Merry new year Nation!

#7 The Towel Boy
December 31 2008, 11:26AM

...guess I coulda updated my name. Oh well, that's what you get for being drunk at 11:25am.

#8 baggedmilk
December 31 2008, 11:32AM

Wanye,

#9 rindog
December 31 2008, 11:38AM

While I was void of the "hammered" state of mind myself I will concede that Horcoff did play a good game (especially with his buddy on the shelf). That being said, I think the hostility stems from the type of player our management has him pegged as (Hybrid # 1, with mad defensive skills).

If we look back at the first goal we will see that our supposed ultragood defensive center had yet another defensive brain cramp...

Everyone knows that; as centerman, when you lose a draw in your own end, you are supposed to tie up your guy. I beg you to go watch the replay of the first goal again and tell me how a guy (that is supposedly as good defensively as everyone says he is) does absolutely nothing after he loses the draw (it took Spezza about 2 seconds to win the draw and go straight to the net to tap in the open netter)???

I am not letting Smid off the hook either, he definitely could have helped Horcoff out...

I have watched many an Oiler goal against only to look up and see either Horcoff or Staios standing there watching their guy bang the puck home.

Unfortunately for Horcoff, he plays center. It is alot harder to hide defensive lapses at that position.

So after all my rambling, Horcoff was probably our best forward - but still was not the type of guy that $5.5 million per year gets you. He as more of $3.5 million guy last night. Luckily for him he doesn't get his big raise until next year - hopefully he will improve enough by then to earn it.....I have my doubts.

#10 rindog
December 31 2008, 11:49AM

@ Jason Gregor:

I too was laughing all the way home from the game at your responses regarding Reddox.

While he wasn't the problem last night - he is part of the problem on a bigger scale.

As a fan (which we have already established that you can't be) what are we to think when we are spoonfed promises of depth and skill up front?

Last time I checked - depth meant that if a top line guy goes down - you don't replace him with a career AHL hockey player with no offensive skills???

Even though those guys on the show were plastered and sounded like idiots - their frustration was just aimed at the wrong place.

To have only one forward available speaks volumes of the mismanagement of the club. From the 3 goalie fiasco to the Dmen playing forward to the player postion shuffling from the start preseason....

It all wreaks of a management team (inlcuding the coaching staff) that just doesn't have it figured out.

Maybe they didn't think Hemsky would miss last nights game. But when they found outhe couldn't go - did they put the call in then? No, they waited until another AHLish player went down with injury.

Square pegs in round holes seem to the norm for this team and it gets awfully frustrating.....

#11 Antony Ta
December 31 2008, 11:52AM

Reddox was good and I've been awaiting his arrival from the AHL for years, but you have to admit that the puck movement really takes a nosedive without Hemsky on the team. Reddox is a great player in his own right but in an undeniably different mold than Hemsky.

On a positive note, his footspeed eclipses that of Dustin Penner's.

#12 baggedmilk
December 31 2008, 11:53AM

@ Antony Ta:

AT, a one legged Petr Klima eclipses the foot speed of Dustin Penner.

#13 Blaine
December 31 2008, 11:56AM

Directing hate bombs towards Reddox and Horcoff doesn't make much sense. They're playing in the positions they were put/offered. Which if you are in either of their skates, you take it.

For Reddox it's being on the 1st line (though the guy played great). That was a coach's decision to put him there. Just like Cole on the LW.

For Horcoff it's that big contract that kicks in next year. He didn't write himself a big contract, that came from the GM, at a time when the economy and dollar was still high, and the cap on the rise. I'm sure there's alot of contracts out there in the league in the same boat moving forward.

I think Reddox stepped up and made the most of an opportunity very few ever get. I also think Horcoff is finally returning to the level he was performing at last season.

It's great to vent, I just think the venting should be directed in the right direction.

#14 Wanye Gretz
December 31 2008, 12:11PM

baggedmilk wrote:

Wanye, You should have seen JS and I last night. We were absolutely plastered by the end of the game. It was beautiful.

There were wild rumors and theories flying around the JL that you two were responsible for the power outage. A 25 minute head start with the beer vendors open.

How do you spell PERFECT STORM?

#15 Ender the Dragon
December 31 2008, 12:25PM

Big Deal wrote:

Garon looked really bad on Alfredson’s goal. Yes, Souray was screening the shot, but this is the NHL. You have to stop that shot. Garon has to be better to get more ice time.

Please don't think I'm advocating that Garon should start more games, because I can't even begin to defend that position. Nevertheless, let's be fair; you can't stop what you can't see and, more importantly, that was an absolutely perfect shot right under the crossbar in the far corner. I think you'd have a difficult time making the case that (insert goalie name here) would've snared that shot. Garon has screwed up a lot of times this season, but I can't hang that one all on him.

#16 baggedmilk
December 31 2008, 12:40PM

@ Wanye Gretz:

We had already crushed 4 beers each before the opening face off. The evening ended with us beaking a lady behind us and people getting angry about my foul potty mouth.

#17 humantorch
December 31 2008, 12:43PM

I laughed for a good solid ten minutes at the caller with the huge mancrush on Schremp's lacrosse moves last night.

#18 JackBauer
December 31 2008, 01:37PM

#19 Dennis Castro
December 31 2008, 02:22PM

Reddox shouldn't be on the top line, they need someone with a scoring touch like Cole. He has been playing pretty decent of late and deserves the chance. Reddox should be playing on the 3rd line with Moreau and Cogliano. Nilson with Gagner and Brule on the second and keep the forth line intact as it is.

If the oil can stay close in the conference and division they should be able to make a run at both the playoffs and division once they get Pisani, Hemsky, Pouliot, and MacIntyre back in the lineup. Now I would hope they can make a trade because they still need a top line center for Hemsky.

#20 Gary
December 31 2008, 02:33PM

Dennis Castro wrote:

With the exception of Hemsky there isn't an impact player in the bunch there Dennis. I certainly hope we aren't all waiting for MacIntyre to come back to lead the troops.
#21 Gary
December 31 2008, 02:34PM

I don't know how to work that damn quote button :)

#22 Cam
December 31 2008, 02:49PM

the first line had two points last night - they did their job. The first line hasn't been our problem this year (well at least since Penner got his game).

Let's pick on the other lines OK???

Gagner? How many times do you have to fall in a game, he goes down more than... uh... never mind...

#23 baggedmilk
December 31 2008, 02:53PM

JackBauer wrote:

#24 JackBauer
December 31 2008, 03:12PM

@ baggedmilk:

baggedmilk wrote:

Oh really?? We were sitting in 335 the first half of the game then we decided to move down. I was hoping my, "We want free beer" chant during the power outage would inspire the masses.

#25 jeanshorts
December 31 2008, 03:55PM

I can tell you this much.

Reddox looked good out there.

Nilsson looked like ass.

That Alfredsson shot was just deadly.

Buying 70 dollars worth of beer is always a good idea.

baggedmilk almost punched out a 45 year old lady.

JSBM definitely had nothing to do with the light show, or lack thereof.

Fire MacT.

#26 baggedmilk
December 31 2008, 03:57PM

JackBauer wrote:

@ baggedmilk: baggedmilk wrote: JackBauer wrote: Hey BM, what section were you sitting in? I saw the large security chick get 3 cops and kick 2 guys out. We were up in 335 with the normally rowdy crowd. I think we were the only two fired up last night though I guess. Oh really?? We were sitting in 335 the first half of the game then we decided to move down. I was hoping my, “We want free beer” chant during the power outage would inspire the masses.

Dude that was you? I even heard that and laughed about it. I was busy trying to get www.jeanshortsandbaggedmilk.com up on the big screen but that asshole wouldn't put it up.

#27 topshelf
December 31 2008, 04:48PM

I thought Horc was flyin' out there last night..too bad Hemmer was out I think they would've been deadly.

#28 jack bauer
December 31 2008, 06:06PM

Damn Straight that was me. The least the fine scams artists at Rexall could do would be to reimburse us with 1 free beverage. Cause after all, 1 would lead to 4. I tried that texting thing that you do to get your message on the big screen, "haha i snuck in a mickey, screw you security"

didnt get on.

#29 Wanye Gretz
January 02 2009, 10:18PM

baggedmilk wrote:

I even heard that and laughed about it. I was busy trying to get http://www.jeanshortsandbaggedmilk.com up on the big screen but that asshole wouldn’t put it up.

I tried the same as Wanye saying 'Sheldon Souray is sooo hot! w00t!"

I'm trying again tomorrow against Dallas