Gagner out for tonight

Jason Gregor
December 05 2008 03:00PM

Went to an NFL game in San Diego last Sunday, and do they know how to have fun at a sporting event. The diehards start tailgating five hours before the game, 80 per cent of them wear a Chargers’ jersey and they all have tents set up with lawn chairs, BBQs, trays of food and of course beer. There are way more chicks at football games than hockey, and most look really hot with their tight football jerseys. I recommend more tight hockey jerseys, but only for girls of course. Seeing Brownlee sporting a tight retro Canucks jersey, or Wanye looking like he’s wearing his mighty mite jersey is not something any of us want to see.

It would be foolish to think Canadians could do it 41 times a year for hockey games, not to mention the beer would freeze before we could even shotgun it, but why not during March and then into the playoffs? I say we start the trend this year. Of course that would mean the Oilers have to actually make the playoffs, but its Friday so let’s think positively.

Kudos to the techies

Wanye and the computer nerds finally get it right and the site looks great. Those tech wizards will probably have it so you can text message your posts soon enough. They will have more bells and whistles on here, so that most of us will need an instruction manual to navigate the Nation. I’ve heard rumblings of videos posts soon. God help us.

Random thoughts

Avery gets six games, which is exactly what we expected him to get. That gives the Dallas Stars a bit more time for their lawyers to figure out if there is any chance they can release Avery without paying him. Fat chance of that happening, and really why should the Stars get off easily? Brett Hull made the dumbest signing of the summer when he handed Avery $15 million over four years.

Were any of you really surprised that Avery has been a distraction? That’s like saying you’re stunned the Oilers look like they’ll have to scratch and claw for a playoff spot, or that the New Libs on the Bloc was doomed before it got started. The Stars will have to buy him out in the summer, and it will cost them about $8 million to do so. Stupid is as stupid does, and Hull’s decision to sign Avery at that money was just as asinine as Avery’s comments earlier this week.

So as long as the glove doesn’t fit, you can get off on a murder charge, but steal your own merchandise can get you 15 in the clink. Of course no one feels sorry of OJ, but doesn’t it seem strange that he’ll spend close to 15 years making license plates for theft, yet for the past 13 years he’s been living it up after inexplicably beating the murder rap. Don’t tell me the judge wasn’t thinking, “I’ll get this SOB, and I’ll make a name for myself while doing so.”

Trust me, Jackie Glass will be a household name in the States very soon, and she’ll probably have a best seller with some lame title, How This Glass spilled the OJ!

Oil drops

Sam Gagner won't play tonight due to concussion like symptoms from the Grossman hit versus Dallas. Marc Pouliot will take his spot on the right side. Reddox will centre the 4th line with Stortini and Strudwick.

Mathieu Garon will get his second straight start tonight in LA, and look for Ladislav Smid to dress in place of Jason Strudwick. There’s no way MacTavish will wait until tomorrow to put Smid back in against the Sharks. That could have devastating results for Smid after not playing defence in over a month.

The Sharks are the best team in the league by a mile right now. They’ve won nine straight, they are 14-0-1 at home, and they’ve scored 100 goals in 26 games. They have seven players with 21 or more points, only Ales Hemsky, with 26, makes that category, and only Boston and Minnesota have given up fewer goals.

The one positive for the Oilers is they play the Sharks tough in San Jose. The Oilers won both games last year, and are 5-2-1 over the past four seasons in San Jose. Conversely, they are 4-4 on the road versus the Kings.

How good was the Triple Crown Line, of Marcel Dionne, Dave Taylor and Charlie Simmer back in the 1980/81 season? They’re still the only line to ever have all three guys with 100 points in a season.

Dionne: 80 GP, 58 G, 77 A, 135 PTS, 70 PIM Taylor: 72 GP, 47 G, 65 A, 112 PTS, 130 PIM Simmer: 65 GP, 56 G, 49 A, 105 PTS, 62 PIM

You wonder how many points they would have scored if Taylor and Simmer played all the games? Compare them to San Jose’s top line and you appreciate even more how good they were. Right now Joe Thornton (32), Patrick Marleau (30) and Devon Setoguchi (29) are off to a great start, but only Thornton is on pace to score 100 points. If all three keep the same pace and play all 82 games, Thornton will get 100, Marleau 94 and Setoguchi will score 91 points. That would be a great season, but not close to the Triple Crown Line’s production. I don’t see any threesome ever matching what the boys in Yellow and Purple did 28 years ago.

Speaking of points

Hemsky is on pace for a career-best 89 points right now, and you have to think with Shawn Horcoff finally waking up and Dustin Penner actually competing on a nightly basis, Hemsky’s points should increase over the remaining 58 games. Is it possible the Oilers could have a player with more than 90 points for the first time since Doug Weight potted 104 back in 1995/96? If Hemsky stays healthy, he’ll finish with 94 points and finally have his point totals match his true ability. He might even score more goals than the 25 Weight potted in 1996.

—Listen to Gregor weekdays from 3 to 6pm on the TEAM 1260 or online at www.justagame.ca.

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#1 The Towel Boy
December 05 2008, 03:08PM

hahaha "New Libs on the Bloc "

Haven't heard that one yet.

#2 Malc
December 05 2008, 03:14PM

Should be an interesting night with Pouliot as the second line center. If Gagner's injury is serious I hope Tambellini is prepared to do something. Then again, if Schremp has another good night maybe he can get Pouliot producing. One can hope.

It's good to see Smid back in the lineup.

#3 Ender the Dragon
December 05 2008, 03:26PM

We better win against the Kings tonight, because you won't make much money betting against the Sharks this season, especially in the Tank.

#4 Jason Gregor
December 05 2008, 03:56PM

Malc,

Pouliot will be playing on the wing with Cogliano and Schremp. Gagner has a concusion from the Grossman hit so he is out. No timetable on how long. He started feeling off earlier today.

What is interesting is that Cole still can't get promoted on the right side, but based on his play, you can see why maybe.

#5 RobinB
December 05 2008, 03:56PM

Jason: What's with the jersey shot? If I'm not a burning hunk of ripped man-love, why did you make me do Thursday's radio show without a shirt?

And "Random Thoughts" is getting close to constituting infringement on my "Deep Thoughts" franchise, so unless there's a royalty cheque in the mail . . .

#6 Wanye Gretz
December 05 2008, 03:59PM

Why did you make me do Thursday’s radio show without a shirt?

This new site is so much better than the old one. I could swear you just said that.

And PS When I was 6 years old I was already 6 foot three and had a 7 year old son. My jersey in those days was made of chain mail.

#7 bingofuel
December 05 2008, 04:01PM

RobinB wrote:

Jason: What’s with the jersey shot? If I’m not a burning hunk of ripped man-love, why did you make me do Thursday’s radio show without a shirt? And “Random Thoughts” is getting close to constituting infringement on my “Deep Thoughts” franchise, so unless there’s a royalty cheque in the mail . . .

That reminds me, RB, the estate of Jack Handy called... something about "a pending lawsuit" and "the entire cast of SNL lynching your candy-ass."

#8 Jason Gregor
December 05 2008, 04:03PM

And the 4th line will see Reddox in the middle with Stortini and Studwick on the wings.

#9 max fisher
December 05 2008, 04:06PM

pouliot and schremp clicked well in springfield last year so hopefully that goes well. I'm sure when the oilers drafted MP they envisioned him as the 2nd line pivot.

#10 Jason Gregor
December 05 2008, 04:07PM

RB,

As a long time writer, you know that the writer doesn't decide on the headline...

And thanks for the visual again of you doing the show with no shirt, I just puked in my mouth...

Wayne,

You are barely 5'6 now, so unless Brad Pitt's new movie about being born old and getting younger is about you, I don't understand how you are shorter now than when you were six. And Mighty mites were 7 and 8..get it right, there is no way you weren't in Tom Thumb as a six-year old. I honestly don't know if you ever played hockey, outside of NHL 09.

#11 Malc
December 05 2008, 04:09PM

Can Reddox play center? I wish someone would figure this 4th line out.

Am I way off base saying Cogliano on the LW (insert mysterious center here) and Cole on the RW would make a good line?

#12 Jason Gregor
December 05 2008, 04:16PM

This just in....Brule has been recalled and Nilsson has been placed on the IR.

#13 RobinB
December 05 2008, 04:19PM

Wanye: These shots by Gregor are making me mad. Does the new website allow me to post photos of myself from the time I finished second in the 1971 Mr. Coquitlam pose-off? How about a hook-up to the handy shower-cam in the ensuite of my estate? We'll see what's what.

#14 RobinB
December 05 2008, 04:21PM

Gregor: And cut the "this just in" stuff. That come over the e-mail at, like 4:04. I had time for a shower after reading it before you posted it. What, you're a journalist now?

#15 Wanye Gretz
December 05 2008, 04:23PM

Jason - "And Mighty mites were 7 and 8..get it right, there is no way you weren’t in Tom Thumb as a six-year old. I honestly don’t know if you ever played hockey, outside of NHL 09."

Oh I played hockey Sir. Just not in 1968 like you when there was an age division called Mighty Mites.

Robin - "Does the new website allow me to post photos of myself from the time I finished second in the 1971 Mr. Coquitlam pose-off?"

No ... but damn it - it should! Sigh. Back to the lab. See you in a few days everyone....

#16 Fiveandagame
December 05 2008, 04:26PM

BRULE!!!!!! I really think that Schremp and Cole will end up playing together. that would be WICKED!

I also think Brule is going to add som "Jam" to our Oiler team. holy crap christmas is coming early!

#17 Fiveandagame
December 05 2008, 04:30PM

There is a reason they are on the Radio and in the newspaper an not beside Ovanka on Sportsnet....

#18 Jason Gregor
December 05 2008, 04:41PM

Fiveandagame wrote:

If you start doing Video posts and we start getting faces to the names of our bloggers I am pretty darn sure that your web traffic is going to drop wayyyyy off. There is a reason they are on the Radio and in the newspaper an not beside Ovanka on Sportsnet….

Let's not get in a looks argument, Mr. Faceless...when you get a clothing sponsor we'll talk..and feel free to have your own picture on your facebook account...

#19 Fiveandagame
December 05 2008, 05:48PM

Jason Gregor wrote:

Let’s not get in a looks argument, Mr. Faceless…when you get a clothing sponsor we’ll talk..and feel free to have your own picture on your facebook account…

DUDE, did you seriously just throw that down, "when you get a clothing sponsor"???

A clothing Sponsor like Gord Stienke? A clothing Sponsor like Bob "the Blob" Mackenzie?

And who says my face book pic isn't me sporting my MAN STACHE? I know you're thinking, "there is no way this Fiveandagame guy, aka Whitney Gordon on Facebook, could look that awesome" but alas it's true...

#20 Antony Ta
December 05 2008, 07:46PM

Yeah the new layout does look friggen awesome. Any news of when the OilersNation apparel will be available?

I hear Jackie Glass loves to shit on former NFL players. She sent some other guy to a mental institution.

#21 Smokin' Ray
December 05 2008, 07:52PM

Nice site guys.... looks great.

#22 Tom Stanley
December 05 2008, 09:30PM

I was on Yahoo and found your blog. Read a few of your other posts. Good work. I am looking forward to reading more from you in the future.

Tom Stanley