Staple em to your feet

Wanye
December 05 2008 03:42AM

Otherwise your socks might get blown right off.

Like the Mighty Oil themselves - we are closing in on a New Era. There are some small things that need to be touched up but here you go Nation - this is what a better tomorrow looks like. Metallic dolphins mightily jumping into the sky, an armada of ships cruising peacefully as the sun sets into a purple twilight. Did we mention that baggedmilk slipped us some of his acid and we sat up watching the awesome developer launch the site until the wee hours of the morn?

What say you via instant message baggedmilk?

baggedmilk: As I ponder moonbeams and sunrises, Shawn Van Allen and sloppy seconds my vision becomes clear as though I am somehow using Horcoff's wolf vision. I see visions of grandeur, a nation rejoicing and all the wisdom of Brownlee and Gregor bursting forth like a mighty oak eminating from the ground. As a new era of a thin Dustin Penner and permanent roster spot for Schremp flashes vividly before my eyes, never have I imagined such potential and beauty. Ladies and gentlemen, the new OilersNation has arrived.

*dead silence*

Wanye: Er.... yeah.

She's 90% done Nation. RSS Feeds, digg it, digg that, technocrati something something. A search function, better navigation and the ability to sort by author. This may mean the very end of anyone reading yours truly - but if you go up to 'voices of the nation' you will see you can pick your favorite author and read all his or her stuff.

Your blessed edit button is coming next week - but we will warn you we will all have to log in now before we can make comments. Its the only way to make an edit function go. Personally we hate having to sign up for sites - but what you say goes around here. This is why we are also discontinuing the weekly 'Sexist rants by Rusty Trombone" column.

Whatever you say goes.

Blogroll

Oh yeah! Before we forget and pass out on the floor you will see that we now have the ability to display a blogroll. It's currently a little grey box cleverly labelled 'blogroll.' If you would like to be added to our BlogRollV1 (there is a different version coming) please email us at oilersnation@gmail.com - include the name of your blog, the URL and who you think would win in a knife fight between K-Lowe and Tambo. Winning entries get a spot in the blogroll. Losing entries - chemical neutering!

And

They sentence OJ today! Could this be the best day ever?? Yes. Yes it could.

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#1 Dana
December 05 2008, 03:55AM

Who posts articles at 3:42am?

#2 Wanye Gretz
December 05 2008, 03:57AM

People who love watching infomercials and are completely unemployable. That's who Mr. Smarty Pants.

#3 Wanye Gretz (near death)
December 05 2008, 04:30AM

We do realize that there are some things that need tweaking. We also realize it's 430 AM and we have been working at this since 7 PM.

To you with failing hands we throw the torch Nation. Feel free to leave us some comments on what needs tweaking.

Note: Firing MacT is not something we can control.

Yet.

#4 Travis Dakin
December 05 2008, 05:21AM

This is Awesome!

#5 Travis Dakin
December 05 2008, 05:26AM

The best part is that we were guaranteed December 5th.... And here we are. Well played.

#6 Robert
December 05 2008, 06:37AM

Wow this looks great...it 'pops' off the screen and is so easy to read...among other good things....

Thanks for the work

#7 Tommy
December 05 2008, 06:48AM

A much better effort vs. the previous "new" edition.

I see that unless Wayne loves the teen titan superboys which #4 refers to, there are still some spam blocker kinks to be worked out.

But given it went up at 3:42am, I guess I'll let that slide. I guess.

#8 Chris
December 05 2008, 07:24AM

It's okay...My mom is cool with that.

#9 BUCK75
December 05 2008, 07:24AM

Oooh look at all those neat 'share' buttons. Congratulations on finding someone who could html & web edit on a deadline!

Loggin' in is no problem - for the most part after you log in once, you don't have to log in again unless you clean your cookies. I think I will make

Next on the agenda - my oilersnation store...

#10 BUCK75
December 05 2008, 07:27AM

Errrr - You might have to adjust the standings box on the main page sometime...

82-0-0

#11 I Am The Law
December 05 2008, 07:35AM

It looks very spiffy. I am deeply impressed!! Well done Wayne and new web developers!

Might I suggest some form of alarm clock, or alert if you will, that can be used to assemble the JL (especially Wayne) on time for the 5 remaining matinee games this year?

#12 Chris
December 05 2008, 07:48AM

I'm not computer savey...Is there anyway the page can auto refresh. Sometimes I comment on something, post it, and am on the wrong side of five similar comments. In the computer world I'm as useless as Avery's publicist.

#13 The Towel Boy
December 05 2008, 07:52AM

This is neato. Ohhh look, reply/quote buttons....COOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

#14 The Towel Boy
December 05 2008, 07:52AM

The Towel Boy wrote:

This is neato. Ohhh look, reply/quote buttons….COOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

I just quoted myself. Teehee.

#15 Monday Guy
December 05 2008, 07:55AM

@ The Towel Boy:

Yeah, this is Swell I replied to the Quote of your Quote

Hello Oilers Nation Banter Goodbye Sears catalogue Underwear pages

#16 Monday Guy
December 05 2008, 07:56AM

Monday Guy wrote:

@ The Towel Boy: Yeah, this is Swell I replied to the Quote of your Quote Hello Oilers Nation Banter Goodbye Sears catalogue Underwear pages

Damn, where's that edit button ... sorry Mom :s

#17 Joey Moss
December 05 2008, 07:58AM

looks so much better than the botched relaunch a few weeks ago.

very nice!

#18 BUCK75
December 05 2008, 08:08AM

@ Chris: Right click mouse on tab, refresh.

Nothing made me more crazy than reading 300 comments, then having to scroll back up to the top of the page to get back to home page.

Nice addition of the links under the post a comment box!

#19 jambon
December 05 2008, 08:19AM

Nice site!! You finally got rid of those retards in the banner, save for that sexy blonde one.

#20 Chris
December 05 2008, 08:21AM

Auto Refresh. AUTO. I'm too lazy and drunk to do it myself. Is such a thing even possible?

#21 Chris
December 05 2008, 08:23AM

Why metallic dolphins? Why not go all James Bond with metallic silhouettes of the Dallas Ice Girls?

#22 BUCK75
December 05 2008, 08:24AM

Chris wrote:

Auto Refresh. AUTO. I’m too lazy and drunk to do it myself. Is such a thing even possible?

I think auto refresh would suck when you're in the

#23 BUCK75
December 05 2008, 08:24AM

middle of posting something & the page refreshes!

#24 milli
December 05 2008, 08:25AM

Wow, all in 1 day, new Oilersnation site, Oilers game and the season premier of TRAILER PARK BOYS!!!!! Me thinks me gonna need a big bag of Weed.

#25 Chris
December 05 2008, 08:31AM

@ BUCK75:

Nice.

#26 Ender the Dragon
December 05 2008, 08:34AM

Just wanted to see what strong was.

#27 Ender the Dragon
December 05 2008, 08:34AM

@ Ender the Dragon:

Ah, just a fancy name for bold.

#28 gord
December 05 2008, 08:38AM

pretty sharp.

#29 Ender the Dragon
December 05 2008, 08:38AM

This just in; TSN reports 6 games for Avery. Good job, Bettman. Not that it matters; it's not like Avery would have been back anyway.

#30 RLH
December 05 2008, 08:55AM

Woohoo, even spiffily accessibility compatible.

-1 on autorefresh, +1 on Cuthbert.

#31 BUCK75
December 05 2008, 08:58AM

@ Chris:

Right click mouse anywhere on page => refresh.

cmd + r on a mac ;)

#32 Hoodlum
December 05 2008, 09:01AM

I'm by no means a Flames fan, but Avery's punishment should have been 6 rounds of no holds barred handicapped punishement with Dion Phanuef and Jarett Stoll.

#33 BUCK75

December 05 2008, 09:05AM

Chris wrote:

F5 for refresh

#36 Ender the Dragon
December 05 2008, 09:05AM

Hoodlum wrote:

I’m by no means a Flames fan, but Avery’s punishment should have been 6 rounds of no holds barred handicapped punishement with Dion Phanuef and Jarett Stoll.

That would only be good if Avery took the thrashing he so richly deserves. What happens, though, when he gouges Stoll in the eyes and kicks Dion squarely in the stones? It just wouldn't do for the Verminator to escape justice by being weasely.

#37 Jessica
December 05 2008, 09:10AM

"Horcoff’s wolf vision" - LOVE IT!

#38 Chris
December 05 2008, 09:20AM

Thanks Gord! One finger on F5 one hand on my Morning Ale.

Also...some Guy on Gregor's show yesterday suggested that the Flames should pick up Avery off waivers and skate him in a few practices...(Oh Yeah!)... then release him.

#39 Fiveandagame
December 05 2008, 09:34AM

HOLY LORD JEEBUS!!!! Did I over sleep and it's christmas already....cause this looks like what I was asking ol elf Lovin Santa for!

Wicked awesome. This is totally BAYWATCH! (baywatch meaning totally awesome to look at)

KUDOS interweb architects and Wayne and any other internet dude who took time out of their world of warcraft schedule to launch the site awesomely and on time.

GOILERS!!!

#40 MJ
December 05 2008, 09:45AM

Way better than the failed deploy some weeks back.

The next game / previous game seems to be plainer than before. The standings need to be fixed up.

And oh ya, 1996 called -- they want that tacky title page back.

#41 Dana
December 05 2008, 09:59AM

@ Chris: You can refresh from the place you were at by clicking on the comment number, then hitting f5/right-click refresh/click the little refresh button. The page will reload with the clicked comment on top, so you won't miss anything. You can also direct link to comments using that link.

@ BUCK75: Nope, sorry. That's the correct standings.

@ MJ: It has to stay for a few more days, but it will eventually be taken out.

#42 tricksnard
December 05 2008, 10:03AM

Sweet teets.

Good work guys!

#43 tricksnard
December 05 2008, 10:04AM

tricksnard wrote:

Sweet teets.

Sorry Mom.

#44 freeze
December 05 2008, 10:09AM

looks hot!! Congrats to the new Dev team for not f*cking up!

#45 freeze
December 05 2008, 10:15AM

@ Chris: there is a firefox extension called Reload Every or something or other. you are using firefox right?

Also, is there a way to get the RSS feed to only display Nation stories and not the full Oilers news?

#46 Dana
December 05 2008, 10:19AM

@ freeze: Yes, that will happen by default fairly soon. You won't need to change your subscription.

@ bingofuel below: They already exist, there's just no links provided

#47 bingofuel
December 05 2008, 10:21AM

@ freeze Those feeds are coming. We're going to have a feed for Nation posts, and feeds for specific Nation authors as well.

-- bingofuel (aka DJ Spyn Cycle)

#48 BUCK75
December 05 2008, 10:30AM

FYI I found some Oilers Season tickets for sale on Craigslist & BuySell.com if anyone is into that with the xmas season 20 days away.

It's a scam, I talked to my rep @ oilers about it.

#49 baggedmilk
December 05 2008, 10:33AM

Huh... Where am I last? Last thing I remember was flashing colors and flying dolphins... What happened to the site? This is new isn't it?

#50 kris