Sam I am

Robin Brownlee
March 26 2008 01:35PM

This just in, Sam Gagner is a helluva hockey player.  What Edmonton Oilers fans might not know is Gagner is also a fine young man. It's obvious to me that his dad, former NHLer Dave Gagner, did a lot of things right—on and off the ice—raising his boy. I've known that for months, but it seems a somewhat timely revelation in the wake of the disgraceful conduct of Hall-of-Famer Patrick Roy and his son Jonathan that's made news for several days. I'll get to that later, but, with another must-win game against the Minnesota Wild tonight, it's worth reiterating how good the NHL's youngest player has been for the Oilers in their push for a playoff spot. Let coach Craig MacTavish tell it "It's amazing to me that a kid at that age can be as polished emotionally and physically as he is," MacTavish said. "He knows the game. "You look at the greats over the years and they've all had some growing pains within the game. I think it's obviously a big advantage for Sam to come from a father who played the game." Has there been a better player for MacTavish than Gagner down the stretch? Statistically, certainly not—in the 24 games since Shawn Horcoff went out with a shoulder injury, Gagner has scored 8-19-27. As rare as it is for an 18-year-old to play in the NHL, it's almost unheard of that a player his age would lead the way as his team makes a playoff push like the Oilers are on now. "He (Dave Gagner) obviously passed on a lot of important lessons on how to play the game, how to conduct yourself and how to prepare yourself," MacTavish said. "He's really a complete player at 18. To be as productive as he has been offensively, well, you just don't see it. The last I saw that was when I started in 1979 with (Raymond) Bourque. He was polished at 18. He came into camp and he was a player. I see those same attributes. Sam is going to be a special player, for sure."

.sambrownlee.jpg

The Sam I've seen...

Having been punted from the travelling merry-go-round that is the life of a hockey beat writer after a decade by the Edmonton Sun in January 2007, I don't see Gagner every day. I don't know Gagner well. It's obvious from what I have seen that he's polite, accommodating of interview requests and well-spoken at an age when many players fumble around with a case of nerves like a freshman on prom night. But I did get a glimpse of the stuff Gagner is made of early this season, and it told me all I need to know about him. On an off-day during a homestand in November, I took my 14-month-old son Sam to a practice at Rexall Place. That's really a no-no, but I had no choice as the baby-sitter was sick, my wife was at work and I needed an interview. I was standing off to the side holding Sam—mine, not Dave's—as players began filing off the ice. As Gagner walked past, he said something along the lines of, "Who's this little guy?" I said, "He's your biggest fan. His name is Sam, too." Gagner spent a few seconds making small talk and then, after a tweak of Sam's cheek—mine, not Dave's—he headed for the dressing room. A few minutes later, crack media man J.J. Hebert emerged from the room, walked over and said, "Here, Sam, this is for you," and handed my son an Oilers puck Gagner had signed. The ink was still wet. Gagner had no way of knowing Sam's circumstances. How Sam weighed two pounds when he was born three months premature. How Sam had to fight for his life and was in intensive care for three months. Gagner had no idea of how much that gesture meant to me. He was just being, well, who he is. That puck is Sam's first. When he is old enough to understand, I'll tell him how he came to have it. I can tell you this: my son's first hockey jersey will be an Oilers jersey with No. 89 and "Sam" on the back. —Listen to Robin Brownlee every Thursday from 4 to 5pm on Total Sports with Bob Stauffer on Team 1260.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#1 Tom
March 26 2008, 01:44PM

Really touching story. Couldn't be more thrilled to have a class guy like that set to represent our team in the years to come.

#2 Bobby Robertson
March 26 2008, 01:46PM

Awesoem story Robin. You don't hear enough of the good people.

Thank You.

#3 Al
March 26 2008, 03:12PM

What a special memory for you and your little guy. Thanks for sharing it.

#4 Shane
March 26 2008, 03:34PM

Yes. That's very cool. Looks great on everybody.

#5 1011011
March 26 2008, 04:43PM

That is an awesome story Robin. Well done

#6 Unknown Author
March 26 2008, 05:47PM

Really nice story Brownlee, great to hear about hockey players with humility. I hate Pronger.

#7 docweb
March 26 2008, 09:04PM

Oh,oh...I'm feeling some manly misting happening!!

#8 RobinB
March 26 2008, 10:12PM

Doc: It did bring a tear to my eye to watch the Oilers power play beat the puck square in six attempts and give up a shorty against the Wild.

#9 PunjabiOil
March 26 2008, 11:42PM

Two comments:

1) Great, touching story

2) "I took my 14-month-old son

Still getting some action, atta boy Robin!

#10 PunjabiOil
March 26 2008, 11:47PM

I forgot to mention my last comment was just a good-hearted joke/poke. If deemed offensive, feel free to delete it.

#11 Igor Viyazmikin
March 27 2008, 02:58PM

It certainly gave me a chuckle, POil, so I hope RB feels the same way;)

BTW, I think it's Very tellling that a kid of 18 has his head on that bloody straight. When I was 18 all I was thinking about was getting to various baby-maker's but I had no interest in babies:D

#12 Risto
March 27 2008, 03:40PM

I hope Sam Gagner gets a chance to read this, and know he is following in the footsteps of the game's greatest ambassador (which is really why they called him the Great One) by reaching out to the littlest hockey fans first.

The loyalties built up through young Edmontonians gets passed on.

It had seemed sports in general had turned a very selfish corner, and Oiler fans have dealt with more than their share of greedy players.

Now, we have a very unselfish group of Oilers again, and it's a breath of fresh air.

If there was a conscious decision to start bringing in character-first players, I applaud management.

Regardless, I applaud Sam's parents, Mathieu Garon for wanting to play in Canada, and all the new faces on the club for making it fun again.

After the Super Series game in Red Deer last August, I saw a young fan carrying a stick. I asked which player had given it to him, he said "Sam Gagner!" Sam had dominated the game (and the series) and then unselfishly given his game stick away. I knew then that he was going to be a good character addition to our team, and was totally overjoyed when he made the team from camp.

#13 RobinB
March 27 2008, 04:09PM

Risto: Well said. Sam's talents on the ice are obvious. What a lot of fans don't get to see is the off-ice stuff. At this point in his career, Sam is as genuine a person and as well-grounded an athlete as I've ever met. He's a lot like Gretz.

#14 gary m
March 29 2008, 11:32AM

This team is gonna be Canada's team!! with players like Sam, Andy, Kent, and all the rest...the future is sooooo bright it kinda hurts the eyes!!lol woo hoo GO OIL, ALL THE WAY!!

#15 Amanda B
March 31 2008, 02:33PM

Thank you so much for sharing your story Robin. This just proves that he truely is an amazing player both on and off the ice! he seems incredibly humble and down to earth!!! We are so lucky to have picked him up the draft! He's amazed me this whole season!

#16 Bridgette
September 27 2008, 10:34PM

Thats the cutest story ever! Everytime i read this story, i just start giggling because it's just so cute :) that just shows you what character guy gagner really is. Great story robin!