Gilbert signs a six-year deal with the Oilers

Wanye
April 11 2008 12:50PM

gilbert.jpg

Whoa, nice rookie season kid. Apparently breaking Paul Coffey's Rookie scoring record is a lucerative business. EdmontonOilers.com is reporting that Gilbert has signed a six-year deal worth $24 milion that will keep the sophomore rearguard in Edmonton until 2013-14 at the very least. By that time we'll all be driving around in rocket cars, and $4 million won't buy you a cup of coffee at a Starbucks, but still.

Is this too much for a player that has only played one year in the NHL? What does this mean for Pitkanen? What does this mean for Grebs? What does this mean for Gilbert? For Gilbert it means moving out of Moreau's house, and buying one made of solid gold.

Suddenly trading Salo for Gilbert is a pretty cunning move by K-Lowe.

Some other good reactions to the deal can be found at PunjabiOil.

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#1 1011011
April 11 2008, 01:09PM

I think its a great deal, Gilbert is the bomb

#2 Travis Dakin
April 11 2008, 01:44PM

Did I miss something? When did Gilbert get THAT good? That's Hemsky money...

#3 Travis Dakin
April 11 2008, 01:48PM

I would love to see the master plan because that sure sets an alarming standard for other pening RFA's (Pitkanen)

#4 Amber McCormick
April 11 2008, 02:03PM

I would be interested to see the fine print on this agreement. Something tells me it might include an annual lapdance for MacT.

#5 Sean
April 11 2008, 02:43PM

I would assume that Lowe has built an escalating based contract to allow for cap space over the next three years. If he is getting lets say $2.5 a year over the next three years, for arguements sake, then he will be making $5.5 a yr over his last three. By his fourth yr. Souray's contract will be done.

Lowe is paying for future promise. I would rather see this type of signing then a signing of a 33 or 34 yr. old, 4yr.$20 million deal.

Time will tell, by the way, it's not our money!

#6 Tony Romo
April 11 2008, 03:17PM

"by the way, it’s not our money!" - Sean

Uh, Sean where do you think the revenues of the NHL come from exactly? Its from the fans dude. Its ALL our money

#7 fyvmvv
April 11 2008, 03:41PM

It's great to see mostly positive comments about one of Lowe's truly excellent adventures. Long term contracts for young guns is something we haven't seen very often. The CBA seems to be revealing an interesting landscape as we go further into it.

#8 Sean
April 11 2008, 03:59PM

Tony, your right to an extent, other revenue streams contribute to the overall revenue as well.

I feel the moves are positive from a number of different aspects; keeping top talent, keeping the core young guys together (from experience, if you get along and like playing for one another will only contribute to their overall success), & from an optics standpoint.

I hear Lowe has apparently signed Nilsson to a three year deal.

#9 milli
April 12 2008, 08:51PM

lot's of $$$$.....But I sure think it is a possitive to see us locking up good young talent long term. This guy has it all, and will develop even further. Gifted offensively, solid defensively.....Awesome. And you know, most D-men take a few years to even start to develop.