With sadness and fondness...

bingofuel
April 02 2008 09:57AM

Happier times...

I like to think our fledgling website shares a lot in common with the Oilers. This site was started for one reason and one reason alone: the Oilers need independent coverage from people that aren’t comfortably seated next to Kevin Lowe on the plane. People writing about the Oil need to have the stones to call Pronger a chicken, MacT an alien or whatever they please, because they aren’t in the pocket of the team. The Oilers' goals are different, but we're both doing what we love, and we're doing it because we want to see this team succeed.

The team was all but written off in February by even the most hardcore fans. But something happened in February, some point was turned. And we hardly noticed it, but suddenly the Oilers were winning games, giving fans hope, and playing some good hockey in the process. Sure, mistakes were made, bad luck and injury befell some of our stronger players, but from the ashes rose the likes of Glencross, Stortini, and Cogliano to name but a few.

Am I pissed we didn’t make the playoffs? Absolutely! I feel like we were robbed. Last night’s game against the Flames should have been ours. It WAS ours but for Owen Nolan’s sudden Robert DeNiro-like awakening from his geriatric sleep. Calgary’s win put this year’s Battle of Alberta series at 4–4, hardly the outcome we were hoping for.

Mathematically eliminated from the playoff race, we’ll like hear a lot from the Oilers about rebuilding, focusing on next year, and all the things players and coaches need to say to get past a devastating loss and look toward the future. I think the Oilers are in a good spot for next year. But I think we were in a good spot for this year too, certainly after an astounding March run.

So, I’m not going to whine like Wanye. I’m not going to hide under a pile of clothes or drown my sorrow in low-fat strawberry ice cream covered in chocolate sauce covered in beer covered in tears. I’m going to watch the rest of the playoffs with detached interest, and recall with fondest an impossible final push that ended badly. I’m going to look ahead with the hope that the Oil Kids stick around, develop more over the summer, and come out next season with guns blazing.

So thanks, Edmonton Oilers. Thanks for proving me wrong so many times this season. Thanks for the dizzying highs, and the terrifying lows. Thanks for the excitement, and the excuse to drink beer and force my girlfriend to learn to love hockey.

Thanks for a great season. Here’s hoping the injured players get well, and we have a real go at this next season.

243fa199ff6efc362bf29a17e950b47e
Bingofuel is the handsome cyborg who pulls all the levers behind the curtains of the OilersNation. When he isn't running the site, he's plugged into a wall socket, recharging. Or Brownlee and Wanye are playing "keep away" with him. He gets little to no respect.
#1 Fish
April 02 2008, 11:05AM

Despite being a passive hockey fan, or hockey fan "by extension" of other hockey fans, I too was saddened at our dear team's loss last night. At the start of third period, my boyfriend and I were traveling due east on Jasper Avenue - him, listening to the radio, me, explaining to him why I like peach iced tea better than lemon. And then the Oilers scored for a 2-2 tie. And said boyfriend cheered, making me spill my drink and have a bit of a stroke. He laughed like a maniac for a while. Short lived happiness, it was.

When he is sad, I am sad. I love you, baby. Let me take care of you.

#2 DJ Spin Cycle
April 02 2008, 11:12AM

Take care of me... but also take care to cheer on the oil next season!

#3 Wanye Gretz
April 02 2008, 12:22PM

Holy crap, they are eliminated from the playoffs and the very next day this turns into a site about Spin Cycle and his lady.

Smoochy smoochy smoo, THAT AINT HOCKEY. Now ol' Wanye on the other hand, he doesn't have to worry about driving with Mrs. Peach Iced Tea on Jasper Ave. When the 2-2 goal went in, he was underneath the high level bridge lecturing vagrants on finding religion.

Or drinking at Hudsons South Side. You pick

#4 doritogrande
April 02 2008, 01:57PM

That man needs to be re-signed. Friday.

#5 DJ Spin Cycle
April 02 2008, 02:23PM

You mean GlenX? Hell yes. I'll lend Lowe my pen so the deal can get done.

#6 doritogrande
April 02 2008, 04:10PM

DJ Spin,

I'd go so far as to buy Kevin his own pen if he promised to sign GlenX with it. I know it's a lot to stomach for a meer University Student, but I'd be every Oiler fan's hero.

#7 TonyRomo
April 02 2008, 04:41PM

GlenX for Tarnstrom is one of the better deals Lowe has ever pulled off.

#8 milli
April 02 2008, 05:54PM

reminds me of how sather used to fleece teams back in the glory days.....Must be a sign of things to come!!!

#9 David S
April 02 2008, 07:24PM

So if I understand it correctly, a guy who purports to be into hockey enough to contribute to what's becoming a pretty decent hockey blog is driving down Jasper Ave with his peach ice tea loving GF - during the most important Oilers game of the year.

That's just sad on so many levels. Thank freaking god for Robin Brownlee and Wanye!

#10 Fish
April 03 2008, 08:08AM

David S:

Alas, it was my fault that at that moment, his ass wasn't parked on the couch in front of the big screen. He was picking me up from work - a round trip that took all of 10 minutes. I assure you that it took a LOT of convincing to rip him away from the TV.

Next time, I will take the bus.

#11 Wanye Gretz
April 03 2008, 11:29AM

Oh great now the 'fish' is going to be taking the bus. Poor ol Spin Cycle is going to hear about this one for most of the offseason.

ha ha ha

We love the Fish. Don't take the bus, a taxi will suffice.