Let’s file this under 'F' for 'ucked up'

Wanye
July 14 2008 09:14AM

Ok, stop us if you have heard this one.

Former NHL enforcer goes out to a bar, witnesses his cousin getting beat up in a brawl outside and goes postal. Police get involved and try and subdue said enforcer. He bursts through a crowd of people and starts swinging at police officers. Police taser him twice, he threatens to kill everyone and is tasered and pepper sprayed again for his efforts before finally being taken into custody.

Just another night in Simcoe, Ontario right? Here’s where it gets scary for hockey players and fans everywhere. The enforcer in question, Ryan VandenBussche, was cleared of one count of uttering a death threat and three counts of assaulting police—one punch broke an officer’s nose and orbital bone—with a very scary defence.

What was it? Alien abduction? Mistaken identity? Try this on for size:

"VandenBussche’s lawyer successfully argued that his client's history of concussions and a hard shove against a wall during the altercation legally rendered him a 'non-insane automaton' that cleared him of criminal responsibility for his actions. The Judge ruled 'that the action that Mr. VandenBussche engaged in was not voluntary as it related to the officers, that it was not the product of an operating mind.'"

You see, it seems that since VandenBussche’s 10-year NHL career as a fighter came to an end—remember it was he that famously ended Nick Kypreos’ career with one punch—he has been suffering some mental vagueries from time to time.

“Court heard that VandenBussche often came out of hockey fights in a daze and sometimes experienced flashbacks and seemingly random thoughts before snapping out of it. “He recalled skating to the wrong bench after one fight, occasions when he sat in a penalty box without knowing why, and an incident in which he sat in the box and began remembering his Grade 3 teacher before regaining his thoughts.”

We’re the first to jump all over Gary Bettman and Company when they say that fighting has no place in the game of Hockey. We love to go to the games and watch the odd tilt, and will admit that once a player retires we generally don’t give too much thought to how they spend their retirement years. This could be because we are an Oilers fan, and any ex-Oiler that retires seems to end up as an assistant coach, but we digress.

There are clearly repercussions to be felt down the road from a career of “getting one’s bell rung” and it’s unsettling to realize that, down the road, your local enforcer could be so messed up that he becomes a “non-insane automation” and can lose it completely in the heat of the moment and not be legally responsible for his actions.

Yikes.

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#1 DJ Spyn Cycle
July 14 2008, 09:19AM

Did it occur to you, Wanye, that this defence is just a bs smoke screen, and the judge was dumb enough to fall for it? HUH?!

#2 Tony Romo
July 14 2008, 09:33AM

That story reminds me of LT in Any Given Sunday

#3 Rick
July 14 2008, 10:21AM

If I was the judge I would have let him walk as well. Clearly the guy that ended Kypreos' career deserves some leniency.

As far as him going to the wrong bench or not knowing why he was in the penaly box and so on...

Did it occur to anyone else that maybe he is just not a smart guy?

...

Actually, as I now reflect on my comments I would like to change my first statement.

If I was the judge I would have given him life in prison. Any guy that had a direct hand in Kypreos unding up on TV deserves the worst punishment possible.

Clearly the judge in this case is a stupid Leafs fan.

#4 Ender
July 14 2008, 10:35AM

Actually, this issue is getting more and more common. It's what caused the Chris Benoit murders a few years back. They call it CTE. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_traumatic_encephalopathy

#5 1011011
July 14 2008, 10:39AM

Ha ha ha Rick. I was going to say that VandenBussche should be given a life sentence for "crimes against humanity" for the man responsible for unleashing Commentator Kypreos on the world.

#6 DJ Spyn Cycle
July 14 2008, 10:50AM

Thanks for the link, Ender. Based on that wikipedia entry, I think it's fair to say both Mike Tyson and possibly Brian Burke suffer from CTE.

#7 Dav
July 14 2008, 11:59AM

The funny thing about Kipper is that media tends to think that polarizing characters like him attract viewers??? I stopped watching snet a long time ago because of guys like him, and if it wasn't for Dreger or Mckenzie I wouldn't watch TSN either.

#8 jdrevenge
July 14 2008, 12:37PM

Effing brutal. Somebody should call Dick Pound before this guy kills somebody.

#9 RobinB
July 14 2008, 01:32PM

jd: Call Dick Pound what? Frankly, I'm for shoving Preacher Dick into a lcoked room with Bushy, piping in a little "Cum Feel The Noize" by Quiet Riot and seeing what happens. Then again, I'm not well . . .

#10 Death Metal Dennis
July 14 2008, 03:26PM

hooray for VandenBussche. finally the cops take a beating after the countless abuses of police power on people around the world (sorry, but the cops should know going into it as an institution that historically there isnt many people around the world who like them.). im sure theres been worse defenses and lies used for corrupt cops over the years anyhow. im not about to shed a tear over one punched cop. wah wah wah.

#11 Wanye Gretz
July 14 2008, 03:57PM

Holy Snap! Hopefully Death Metal Dennis doesn't call 911 anytime soon with any pressing Police matters!

hahaha

#12 Brian Fellows
July 14 2008, 05:59PM

I feel bad for the guy. He gave it his all to his sport and this is what he is reduced to.

#13 Ed
July 14 2008, 11:56PM

That punch he delivered to Kypreos was something I will never forget