Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis?

bingofuel
July 16 2008 11:17AM

Dear Everybody,

We have been running this site for nearly nine months now. It's a lot of work. We have to turn on our computer, we have to think of things to write, and then we have to decide which spell-check option to pick when we write the words wrong. Then we have to hit publish. In short, it's a real pain. But we do it for the kids. You know, all five of our readers whom we love dearly, even when they mock us.  Because even though it hurts, we know they care.

And we think there are people out there who are way better at blogging than we are. Better at thinking, better at writing and better at smelling [good]. We have our favourite blogs, and we often wish that we could work with some of these people.

But wishing won't make it so. So we write this open letter to our favorite blogger—Jonathan from Copper and Blue. This guy writes every single day, sometimes twice. Robin Brownlee once called it "important, must read stuff." Has he ever said something that nice about our own Wanye Gretz? No, he once noted that "Wanye Gretz has shit for brains."

And so, in the absence of having any better ideas on how to do this we formally ask: "Jonathan from Copper and Blue, will you join us? We have a shiny new website coming, we have candy and our moms say that we clean up good when we're forced to leave our rat-infested apartments to steal moonshine from homeless people."

Hungrily yours, The OilersNation

243fa199ff6efc362bf29a17e950b47e
Bingofuel is the handsome cyborg who pulls all the levers behind the curtains of the OilersNation. When he isn't running the site, he's plugged into a wall socket, recharging. Or Brownlee and Wanye are playing "keep away" with him. He gets little to no respect.
#1 Boondock
July 16 2008, 11:26AM

Good choice. Jonathan's blog has joined Lowetide, Battle of Alberta and mc79hockey as the must reads of the Oilogosphere. (IOF would be there too if updated more frequently)

#2 Brian Fellows
July 16 2008, 11:45AM

Holy Shit! That would be awesome! You guys are both great, and it would be sweet to see Copper and Blue join the scrum

#3 Ed
July 16 2008, 11:56AM

I have never been to his site, but I like all the comments he leaves on here.

Do it Jon!

#4 Tony Romo
July 16 2008, 12:51PM

Cool! Do it Jon!

#5 Rick
July 16 2008, 01:41PM

Boondock;

I see you left OilersNation off your must read list.

Interesting...

I hope this doesn't mean that OilersNation is going all serious.

There is a nice mix of concrete Oilers info (Brownlee) and asinine ramblings (everyone else).

Or is that a nice mix of inane Oilers speculation (Brownlee) and globally significant ponderings (everyone else).

I dunno, it's one of the two....

#6 Wanye Gretz
July 16 2008, 02:02PM

Rick-

Oh hells no we aren't going serious. I don't plan on burndening my mind with "real facts" or "accurate statistics."

We think that Copper and Blue would fit nicely into our overall site. Brownlee with the inside scoop, Jonathan with the independant analysis, and me - playing the tamborine naked down Jasper Avenue wearing nothing but an old Joffrey Lupul Jersey.

"Asinine ramblings" - that brings a tear of joy to our one working eye!

Provided Jonathan responds of course.

#7 1011011
July 16 2008, 02:03PM

I can't wait to see the shiny new site!

#8 Kevin
July 16 2008, 02:07PM

Oilersnation is a nice site, but the lack of RSS feeds means it's not on my "must read" list.

#9 Boondock
July 16 2008, 04:54PM

Well, considering I posted all of 9 minutes after the original post, it's fairly safe to assume I check up on OilersNation frequently. No slight intended!!

#10 Jonathan
July 16 2008, 06:03PM

Well, with such a gracious invitation, what could I possibly say?

NOOOO!!!!!!!!

Then I say that picture of Shawn Horcoff with a heart around it, and decided that this site has some good things going for it.

But I have a demand. One, singular, solitary, demand. If I am to write for this site, it must do something for me:

I want to see a picture of Marc-Andre Bergeron in Oilers silks displayed somewhere on this site for the remainder of the off-season.

Why? Because he's representative of the little guy. In fact, he is a little guy. I will give you some suggestions; any of these will be fine:

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/022v8CS72q2Hl/610x.jpg - dominating Henrik Zetterberg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0auA9bZ6lF44N/610x.jpg - crunching Mike Fisher

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/00N1dn86Pld8x/610x.jpg - upending Dustin Penner

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/08xq6zJdrP1FH/340x.jpg - looking heavenward, thanking God for his awesomeness.

To quote the great Michael Scott: You have one week.

#11 RobinB
July 16 2008, 06:45PM

Jonathan: Cut the short guy chip on the shoulder routine and don't make demands that Wanye post a pic of mistake-prone runt Marc-Andre Bergeron -- he's pathetic enough already.

As for me? You're OK for an ham-and egger with no journalism background, but let's not get carried away just because these simpletons insist on courting you like a horny 17-year-old looking to get some on prom night. I got your boxcar stats right here, pal.

#12 Jonathan
July 16 2008, 08:33PM

Jonathan: Cut the short guy chip on the shoulder routine and don’t make demands that Wanye post a pic of mistake-prone runt Marc-Andre Bergeron — he’s pathetic enough already.

Who, as pictured above, DOMINATED Henrik Zetterberg. For one second, in all fairness, but that's still better than Matt Greene's record.

As for me? You’re OK for an ham-and egger with no journalism background, but let’s not get carried away just because these simpletons insist on courting you like a horny 17-year-old looking to get some on prom night. I got your boxcar stats right here, pal.

Does the Edmonton Sun actually count as a journalism background, Robin? I mean sure, it is technically a newspaper, but come on...

#13 Kish
July 16 2008, 09:53PM

Oh snap. Yeah Robin, that just happend.

#14 RobinB
July 16 2008, 09:54PM

Jonathan: Please forgive me if don't cut and paste a copy of my resume here, but I'll happily forward it to you by e-mail for approval.

If you deem my credentials acceptable in spite of the six years I spent at The Sun, just drop Wanye and the guys a note that I have your blessing and I'll keep contributing what little I have to offer to ON.

I know talking to actual players, general managers and agents during the 24 I've spent writing for a living years doesn't count for much, but if you give me a chance I promise to do my best. If that's OK with you.

#15 RobinB
July 16 2008, 10:11PM

Jonathan: And one other thing. Ken Campbell, who happens to be a veteran writer who is widely respected in the business, promises that if you don't tell him how and what to write and imply that he's some kind of dummy like you did in that BS cheapshot you took at him, he won't tell you how to weld.

#16 Jonathan
July 16 2008, 10:14PM

Oh, that's not necessary, Robin. Your word that you'll do your best is good enough for me.

#17 Jonathan
July 16 2008, 10:29PM

Jonathan: And one other thing. Ken Campbell, who happens to be a veteran writer who is widely respected in the business, promises that if you don’t tell him how and what to write and imply that he’s some kind of dummy like you did in that BS cheapshot you took at him, he won’t tell you how to weld.

That seems fair. I'll also avoid taking shots at Glen Sather, who happens to be a veteran general manager who is widely respected in the business, for signing Dmitri Kalinin to a 2.1 -million dollar contract or Wade Redden to a 6-year, 39-million dollar contract with a no move clause, just because they're both bad signings.

And since we're talking about Campbell, I like a lot of his points on a lot of different issues; he's hardly Tony Gallagher. In this case, though, the idea that signing a player to an overpaying offer sheet drives up contracts is ridiculous; I'd go on, but I did notice you took care not to argue the point I actually made.

#18 RobinB
July 16 2008, 10:55PM

Jonathan: I took "care" not to argue the point? Got me. No, I didn't bother. And really, why should I?

#19 mrzael
July 16 2008, 10:57PM

To quote the great Michael Scott: You have one week

Sounds like a done deal...cooool

#20 The Swallow
July 16 2008, 10:58PM

Keep it up fellas, it's like Lowe and Burkie with intelligence added to the recipe.

Pure Gold Gents!

#21 Jonathan
July 16 2008, 11:04PM

Jonathan: I took “care” not to argue the point? Got me. No, I didn’t bother. And really, why should I?

Because neither of us is particularly educated in the fields of game theory or economics and it would give you a rare chance to be an amateur at something?

#22 mrzael
July 16 2008, 11:08PM

RobinB to Jonathan "Hey kid..this could be the start of a beautiful friendship."

#23 RobinB
July 16 2008, 11:17PM

mrzael: That, or the prized recruit -- assuming I give the website guys the OK to let him write here -- gets a thumb in the eye socket if he doesn't figure out what's what and who's who in a hurry.

#24 Boondock
July 17 2008, 12:51AM

Robin, Jonathan does have a point which I haven't seen any MSM guy address. No matter the contracts offered, the players will end up with exactly the same percentage of the pie at the end of the day. Who cares how it is distributed? Have any MSM guys even browsed through the CBA? Why is this argument not worth bothering with? If Jonathan does a shitty welding job ;), and I'm a paying customer, you're damn sure he's going to hear about it from me no matter how long he's been on the job or how good his past work is. Why are journalists any different?

#25 Robert
July 17 2008, 06:41AM

ooohh..and I thought Big Brother was good last night.

#26 RobinB
July 17 2008, 07:30AM

Boondock: Do you really think Jonathan has a point that no MSM guy has addressed or is it more likely you just haven't read it? Likewise, your question about whether any MSM media guys have even browsed the CBA? What do you think? I'm guessing they have. And it's not a question of whether the argument is worth bothering with, it's a question of how much time I'm going to spend debating somebody who (in the Campbell reference) comes in with the premise he's amused by hockey columnists because they almost always get things wrong. Finally, questioning arguments or taking issue with blatant errors or ommisions and flawed logic is fair game, but it's just as grating to MSM guys to have "bloggers" and fans suggest they're stupid and naive as it is to the same bloggers and fans when MSM guys are ignorant enough to dismiss the possibility that many of them have something to offer.

#27 marchantfan
July 17 2008, 09:48AM

Jon: please don't join ON. They don't have RSS feeds.

#28 Jonathan
July 17 2008, 09:59AM

And it’s not a question of whether the argument is worth bothering with, it’s a question of how much time I’m going to spend debating somebody who (in the Campbell reference) comes in with the premise he’s amused by hockey columnists because they almost always get things wrong.

I'm amused becaue this specific argument has been made repeatedly, even by good hockey writers, and it bears rebutting, not because "hocket writers almost always get things wrong".

It's an inaccurate assertion, and it's healthy to question it, especially given how widespread an assertion it is. Conventional wisdom that's wrong needs to be called out, and the biggest source of my amusement is that otherwise bright, knowledgeable people make the same mistake solely because it's conventional wisdom.

As for not debating the point based on my tone, that seems a little thin-skinned, but it's certainly your prerogative.

#29 Matt
July 17 2008, 10:34AM

Robin,

1- thank you for contributing to this website. I appreciate your insite and first hand knowledge of the team and the league. 2- i found blogs like lowetide and copper and blue through the interweb and i have really enjoyed the breakdowns and in depth analysis that is being done on these sites. generally speaking i find myself wanting more after reading a column or opinion piece about rumors and inuendo in the local newspapers. i am not sure if it is an editorial decision on the part of the newspapers but i think that there is obviously a market for a different style of reporting than what is given in the MSM.

Jonathan,

i read your blog daily. whether you join up with ON or not i will continue to do so.

All,

this line between MSM and bloggers is bullshit. the line is being blurred constantly with writers (such as Robin) crossing over to a different media source. it is not your job to decide who is "allowed" or qualified to blog or write their opinions. if dickheads like Ekland keep writing their crap then other dickheads will keep reading it. let the consumer decide what they want to read and stop with the infighting. in a few years its all going to be the same anyway.

#30 Kris
July 17 2008, 11:40AM

Brownlee says:

"it’s just as grating to MSM guys to have “bloggers” and fans suggest they’re stupid and naive as it is to the same bloggers and fans when MSM guys are ignorant enough to dismiss the possibility that many of them have something to offer."

Uhh... the only difference is MSM guys GET PAID BY the bloggers and the fans. Brownlee sounds like a player who thinks the fans who pay to see him play shouldn't be allowed to boo him.

Why is Brownlee being so pissy? Is someone thinking of giving his paycheque to Jonathon?

I laughed when Brownlee tried to pull rank: 'I know Wayne Gretzky. I'm a big shot. I'm the Edward R. Murrow of the Oilers- of Alberta even! You're just a welder. I'm gonna thumb you in the eye and tell the web-guys not to hire you.'

I tell you what, you phone Wayne, ask him to tell us all how great you are, and see if he phones you back...

#31 Jonathan
July 17 2008, 11:59AM

Just to make things clear- I'm not a welder. I'm an instrument technician.

Believe me when I say that the skills required for welding are completely different than the ones required for what I do.

#32 Gord
July 17 2008, 12:23PM

My friend is a welder - don't diss my buddy......... :-)

#33 RobinB
July 17 2008, 12:29PM

Matt: You're right. I've said it before and I'll say it again -- there's lots of good information and opinion to be had outside of the MSM. There's room for both.

Kris: Congratulations on establishing an unofficial and laugh-out-loud new low for comprehension skills. My reference was to Wanye Gretz, our in-house master of many thoughts bizarre, NOT Wayne Gretzky.

Apparently, this whole schtick has gone right over your pointy little head. Next time, I'll have our ON Instant Label Generator produce one of those disclaimers -- "THE FOLLOWING IS JUST A JOKE" kind of thing -- to avoid confusion.

#34 Jonathan
July 17 2008, 12:55PM

My friend is a welder - don’t diss my buddy………

I work with a half-dozen welders, and have worked with better than 20 in my 3 years at my current job. I've seen some very good ones, and like most who rise to the top in their profession, they're generally bright, capable people.

I do, however, know that English skills aren't a prerequisite for the job, and in BC, neither is Grade 11. Like I've said, there are certainly bright guys out there, but it isn't really an academic trade.

#35 David S
July 17 2008, 03:36PM

Haha! And here I was going to say that Robin and Jon were laying it on a bit thick.

Nice juxtaposition I think. Robin with the veteran inside scoop, Jonathan with the independent view and Wayne with the asinine ramblings.

BTW - from what I understand, WAYNE would almost surely call back to say how good Robin is. You do know that he's (Robin) been an institution in the dressing room for quite some time, right?

#36 RobinB
July 17 2008, 03:43PM

David S: It is true that I've been in an institution for some time, but I'm feeling better now and will be out soon.

#37 David S
July 17 2008, 05:05PM

Uhhh - I meant "...WANYE with the asinine ramblings."

Good to hear that you're feeling better Robin!