Reason for sadness?

bingofuel
July 17 2008 01:40PM

By now you've heard it, but some Nation staffers were at lunch sans laptop, so here it is: TSN and other news agencies are reporting that free agent Marty Reasoner is going to be joining the Atlanta Thrashers. According to the story at TSN.ca, it's an as yet undisclosed deal.

Seems like a lot of people are hot and cold with old Marty. Is it better for the Oil to have gotten rid of him, or will he be missed on the ice next year?

243fa199ff6efc362bf29a17e950b47e
Bingofuel is the handsome cyborg who pulls all the levers behind the curtains of the OilersNation. When he isn't running the site, he's plugged into a wall socket, recharging. Or Brownlee and Wanye are playing "keep away" with him. He gets little to no respect.
#1 Maverick
July 17 2008, 01:47PM

Well I guess Sakic will light it up for the Thrashers now!

#2 Tommy
July 17 2008, 02:03PM

For some reason I am kind of sad.

I think its still feeling bad for him to get traded right before the run.

#3 Ender the Dragon
July 17 2008, 02:03PM

While the dollars and the points involved are not really comparable, I find myself feeling a lot like I did the day Smitty left for New York. Business-wise, I can see how this makes sense. On the ice, this is still pretty understandable overall. But wow, that dressing room is going to have a huge hole to fill.

In this day and age where everyone is raised with a 'me-first' attitude (and I'm not talking about just hockey players) Marty was the one guy that always seemed to be all about the team. While I'm reasonably sure we can replace his point production, I just hope that the same work ethic will find its way into the next body who occupies that stall or the next player to wear #19. Good luck, Marty. You deserve it.

#4 Moony
July 17 2008, 03:22PM

I think this is awesome. We have so many good young talented forwards who will now get more of a chance because Marty (if he was faster would be Joe Sakic) Reasoner will not be getting 20 minutes of ice time per game. This means a spot just opened up for 1 of the 4 or 5 young guys (AKA Brule Potunly, Shremp, Pouliot) who deserve a shot in the bigs!

#5 oiler_fan
July 17 2008, 04:28PM

i don't understand why people take mact's comment about sakic and place them on marty's sholders. this pisses me off. marty is a class act that was mr. consistent and one of our best penalty killers! not to mention his face off capability. marty deserves our respect, and not snide remarks.

i hope you have a great year in atlanta marty and maybe we'll se you in copper & blue again before you're done.

#6 Matt
July 17 2008, 04:30PM

In two years he is an assistant in springfield.

#7 fyvmvv
July 17 2008, 04:36PM

I'm sure the team may miss him in the room. I have yet to buy Oiler tickets anticipating with great excitement watching Reasoner play. With so many younger players in line I think they made the right move.

#8 TorontoOil
July 17 2008, 04:38PM

it was written on the wall after greener, his comedic partner, got traded to la-la-land. who was he supposed to make bad, deadpan gags with?

#9 Jonathan
July 17 2008, 05:12PM

By which you mean 14-15 minutes a game, with 3+ of it coming on the penalty-kill, right?

I'd guess Cogliano picks up the penalty-kill time, and whichever kid is good enough to break in on he 4th line gets the rest (my money's on Potulny).

#10 Eskimo44
July 17 2008, 08:03PM

Heck of an oiler. I have all the respect in the world for him as a player. he really stepped it up down the stretch. just too bad he had a couple knee and ankle injuries, being a poor skater was really his biggest flaw.

#11 Hemmer
July 18 2008, 01:01AM

No doubt on someone being able to fill his point production, but work ethic and team first attitude is gonna be missed for sure .

#12 Milli
July 18 2008, 07:50AM

Marty was a good Oiler, showed up every night. But, ya know, I am glad to see this team take a different road, seems like for a long, long time we've been a whole team of Reasoners (no disrespect intended). But what I mean is a collection of 3rd and 4th liners. It looks like we will be a lot deeper with skill guys on the top 3 lines this season. But hey, best of luck to Marty!!

#13 SlipperyPete
July 18 2008, 10:15AM

Glad he is gone, was not valuable to the team. The Oilers had to many guys in that tweener role, not great offensively but not a defensive liability either. And answer me this Mac T, How is he even comparable to Joe Sakic? Joe has a quick release on his wrist shot and was Mr.Clutch when the Avs needed a goal, Reasoner couldn't hit an empty net as evident by the two he missed at the end of last season. Good Riddance Marty!!!!

#14 Moony
July 18 2008, 01:21PM

Marty Reasoner has no talent at all and is a prime example of how the NHL has expanded to to many teams therefore to many players who have no right to play among the world's best hockey players. This is a great day in Oilers' history. I am almost more excited about this then if the Oilers had actually signed Hossa.