GlenX is a traitor, signs with Flames

Wanye
July 02 2008 11:56AM

glex.JPG

Though those that are betrayed do feel the treason sharply, the traitor stands in worse case of woe.” - William Shakespeare

GlenX you son of a *****. Did you just come to the Oil, score some goals, win some hearts and minds and then sign with the Flames? Did you sign for 3 years at just over 3 million total? Did you just make us quote Shakespeare for the first time since High School?

After all Edmonton did for you … we even gave you a nickname.

You will pay dearly dear sir. You will pay dearly for your crimes.

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#1 Cole
July 02 2008, 12:09PM

So what....one word: OVERRATED. Thats why the Oilers traded for Potulny and acquired Brule,cause Glencross was asking to much when he hadnt really proven himself. As far as Im concerned Calgary is getting older and slower, they might as well finish the deal and sign the pilon that is now former Oilers captain Jason Smith.

#2 cgrey
July 02 2008, 12:48PM

That's too bad. The line of Stortini-Brodziak and Glencross was looking pretty good. I'm betting he won't even make the Flames roster next season.

#3 Tony Romo
July 02 2008, 12:55PM

NO!!!! What the heck? I thought the Oilers offered him around that kind of money.

#4 Cole
July 02 2008, 01:07PM

I think I heard that Glencross wanted Robert Nilson type of money, around 2 million a year.

#5 Whopper
July 02 2008, 01:20PM

The Oilers Offered GennX $1.3 Million/Year. He actually got less with Calgary. I thinks he will get more playing time there than with the Oilers. Bad move on his part as Sutter will not give him that much ice time.

#6 Colin
July 02 2008, 01:47PM

I would love to see some one beat him down in the first oil/flame game of the season.

#7 RobinB
July 02 2008, 02:31PM

Colin: Your statement captures the essense of why covering and writing about hockey in a town like Edmonton is a beautiful thing.

#8 Pat
July 02 2008, 05:29PM

I'm still unclear about what happened here. I've read that GlenX's agent said that Edm hadn't presented an offer since early June. Did the Oil really offer 1.3/year deal? For 3 years?

#9 David S
July 03 2008, 12:08AM

From Lowe's interview today, it sounded like the Oilers were waiting to see how the Hossa deal came down before getting back to GlenX. So Calgary came along with a firm offer in the ballpark and effectively poached him. Lowe said he understood and quoted the "birds in the hand" proverb, so that seems to be the most rational explanation.

Still, he was one guy I figured they would get locked up. That 4th line really gelled after he came here.

#10 Smokey
July 03 2008, 01:15AM

He will get 8 minutes a night, and score ten goals. Oilers have enough role guys, let it be...

#11 olderthendirt
July 03 2008, 05:50AM

Looking at Calgary's depth past the 2nd line, Glencross will get a chance at far more ice time then the Oilers could promise. (ps I like the team as it stands today.)

#12 Milli
July 03 2008, 08:23AM

I want his blood spilled on our ice. How in the *&%$ does a guy go from wanting 2 mil a year to sign with the @#$% Lames for 1???????? What a shitty day. I hope he gets bought out after 1 year.....

#13 Wanye Gretz
July 03 2008, 09:34AM

According to Kevin Lowe, via David Staples:

"Some days ago we weren't really able to get any sort of definitive answer from their side. Once we got to the point of no return, we sort of had to say we're going to move on to other things. We still have some lines in the water (with other players). We could be finished but we will see what unfolds."