Wanye Saye: What about Glen Murray?

Wanye
July 24 2008 01:43PM

Glen Murray was released by the Bruins today coming off of a 17 goal season. The Bruins have 48 hours to buy him out, and save $2.7 Mil against the cap. Then he is like Paris Hilton, available to the highest bidder.

Glen Murray may be injury prone, but this is a guy that has 337 goals in a 1009 game career, and last year's was his least productive season in a decade. Murray might be a decent fit on the Oil - he is a decent pickup for some additional scoring punch.

Given that he is old as sand he might come cheap, or way cheaper than his current $4.15 million remaining on his contract. When the Oil make the playoffs this year - BELIEVE THAT! - a Glen Murray would be a valuable role player with plenty of playoff experience with 22 goals and 42 pts in 94 career games.

He could also teach Andrew Cogliano and Company how to be play with more grit and still pot 40 goals - which Murray as done twice. We could all call him Muzz, which seems to be his nickname according to "people who know Glen Murray's nickname."

Glen Murray at $4.15 million a year? Oh hells no.

Glen Murray at $2.3 million a year? Perhaps.

Thoughts?

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#1 risto
July 24 2008, 01:51PM

Sign him, trade Moreau, make Horcoff captain.

He's no Cam Neely, but for a one year deal @ Bertuzzi money, he'll work out.

Really, isn't our team awesome/expensive enough already?

#2 The Towel Boy
July 24 2008, 01:52PM

I like it...'cept...where would we cram him in? Our roster is starting to really fill up with up and comer's, already came's and could perhaps come's.

#3 Tony Romo
July 24 2008, 02:03PM

I like this actually. Assuming plans to get a top line foreward are on hold for now. If the Oilers don't make the playoffs they could easily move him at the deadline to a contender.

#4 pDan - the p is silent
July 24 2008, 02:09PM

A veteran of his skill would be great - bump the average age up a bit, so we're not the kindergarten class of the NHL.

#5 AndrewB
July 24 2008, 03:09PM

While he would prolly make a good addition to our 2nd line, it would come at the cost of Nilsson. We must stick to developing our young players otherwise the last 2 years of missing the playoffs would all have been for nothing.

#6 James
July 24 2008, 04:42PM

Stick with who we have already. I don't want to see us make a spot for Murray at the expense of one of our young guys. Even if he's cheap how will he fit in? Who do we send back down to make room for him?

#7 Ender the Dragon
July 24 2008, 04:47PM

I don't see it in the cards. He plays right wing, so where do you put him? There's no way he cracks the top two lines, so you'd be looking to jettison Pisani, Stortini, or maybe an extra forward like Brule. There are problems with all 3 of those scenarios. Losing Cousin Fernando to bring in Murray with only marginally better numbers is going to be a big PR struggle. If K-Lowe gambles that way, he better be right because he'll be crucified by the media and the public if Pisani puts up better numbers somewhere else. I'm not a big Stortini fan, but I'm sensible enough to see that he fills a role that Murray can't. So, the only way this works is if Murray agrees to put in time in the press box until someone gets hurt, and I can't get those dollars to add up no matter how many times I punch them through the mental calculator.

No, I'm afraid that while Murray will make a lot of sense on some teams (read: Vancouver) I just don't see him as a solid part of the Oiler picture. Which, to me is a good thing: can you ever remember a time in the last decade when we might have speculated that the Oilers were too good to risk Murray messing them up? I think I'll revel in that for a bit.

#8 cgrey
July 24 2008, 04:58PM

Bring him in only if he's a replacement for Pisani or Moreau. There's really no room for the guy right now but it would be nice to add a little more intimidation to the roster.

#9 Jonathan
July 24 2008, 10:48PM

While Murray may not be completely washed up, he shouldn't be a player of interest to Edmonton because he a) takes a spot away from a player who deserves it more (Nilsson/Pisani) b) makes Marty Reasoner look quick and c) will cost too much.

#10 Jeremy
July 25 2008, 06:08AM

No thank you. This guy flourished with Thornton and has been a shadow of his offensive self ever since. Why would you rob a Brodziak/Pouliot/Schremp of a roster spot to hone their game in the bigs just because some Methuselah used to score at the torrid pace of .5 pts/game in the playoffs? Again, no thank you. The only way I see this guy being an offensive threat is if he starts telling racist jokes at elementary schools.

#11 OilersNinja
July 25 2008, 08:33AM

I remember a few years ago when the Oilers excuted a similar move and exumed the corpse that was Adam Oates, I dont think that worked out that well.

Jeremy: "The only way I see this guy being an offensive threat is if he starts telling racist jokes at elementary schools." - comedic gold, it rivals my roundtine bit

#12 fyvmvv
July 25 2008, 10:11AM

I honestly don't think Glen Murray is even a 'perhaps'. Why add players to the mix at this point when you know he is definitely on the downslope of his production? A signing like that would be a step back in my opinion.

#13 Cam
July 25 2008, 11:12AM

Just say no! There is no room salary wise or on the roster for him.

And trading Moreau to free up a roster spot? Now way! Lowe would be a fool to lose a heart and soul Oiler like him unless it was to land a superstar. Last year Moreau finished his shift on a broken ankle - now that is a guy you want to keep around.