So, you want the Oil to be more like the Wings?

Wanye
July 31 2008 09:59AM

Then you have to do things like sign Valtteri Fillipula to a long-term deal at $3 million per year.

Ken Holland, Master of the Universe and GM of the Detroit Red Wings done done it again yesterday. As expected the Detroit Red Wings avoided salary arbitration with forward Valtteri Filppula, re-signing him to a five-year, $15 million contract.

Here’s a guy who’s 24 years old, and another one of those shady draft picks by the Wings, selected 95th overall in the 2002 Entry Draft. As we see below his numbers aren’t stellar, but they are steady and improving year over year. Fillipula has proven that he can score in the playoffs too, which is a valuable commodity in this league. In signing him for five years, the Wings are able to continue keeping their Cup winning chemistry together, and lock up a very solid 2nd line forward at a pretty reasonable price for the next five seasons.

Regular Season

Season 2006–07: 73 GP, 10 G, 7 A, 17 PTS, 20 PIM 2007–08: 78 GP, 19 G, 17 A, 36 PTS, 28 PIM

Playoffs

Season 2006–07: 18 GP, 3 G, 2 A, 5 PTS, 2 PIM 2007–08: 22 GP, 5 G, 6 A, 11 PTS, 2 PIM

Many citizens of the OilersNation think the Oil should try and steer the ship down the same path as Holland and the Wings. Well, take a good look people. It’s deals like these that keep the Wings together in the long run, and attract the Marian Hossas of the world, who shave two mil of their price tag just to get to wear the jersey for one season.

—Listen to Wanye Gretz on 91.7 the Bounce, as he requests Mariah Carey’s “Hero” every 15 minutes.

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#1 Rick
July 31 2008, 10:10AM

I must be the only one that doesn't see this deal as the great bargain it's made out to be.

#2 Tony Romo
July 31 2008, 10:40AM

I think that he will continue to improve, and this is how the Wings stay under the cap. I agree with Wayne its a good deal

#3 1011011
July 31 2008, 10:55AM

I like Fillipula, he was good in the playoffs. He battled, for a Finn.

#4 SlipperyPete
July 31 2008, 11:16AM

I completely agree with Rick on this one. Its funny, Ken Holland does this and he is seen as smart and doing a good job keeping the team together. On the other hand Kevin Lowe does the same thing with Fernando Pisani, who I believe is a player who compares evenly with Filppula in pts per game and plus minus, after a great playoff in '06 and it is seen as a stupid move and too much money. If Pisani had been healthy all year he would have put up competitive numbers to Filpula.

#5 Ed
July 31 2008, 11:34AM

Who says that the Pisani signing was a bad deal? Everything I have read or heard agrees with you SlipperyPete...

#6 Tommy
July 31 2008, 11:48AM

Lowe out as GM, Tambellini in?

Get on it Wanye. I'd have expected you to be on the conference call at the very least.

Time to call up Robin to see what this means...

#7 fyvmvv
July 31 2008, 11:54AM

I'd like to comment on Wanye's last paragraph. I recall when the Ducks won the cup and everyone was talking about their structure and style of play. Well now, suddenly Brian Burke and ownership have acquired some rather greasy baggage and it doesn't look so rosy down there.

It's the same thing now with the Wings. Suddenly people are saying clone your team to be the Wings. I think the Wings have a great organization all right and it starts from ownership. The owner is by all accounts loyal to a fault. Secondly he listens to his management team who are second to none in experience and success. He puts the people in place to do the job and then he lets them do it. Sound familiar?

I think ownership and management have turned a corner in Edmonton. If the Oil want to emulate anything about Detroit's success then I think you start with the type of ownership that we now have in place. Management and coaching will hopefully follow Katz' lead.

We don't have to run around trying to copy the Ducks and Wings we just need to set a course with those qualities in mind and develop the Oilers to be who they are.

Remember that 2 yrs ago we sent the Wings to the golf course and Pronged -her didn't do it alone.

#8 SlipperyPete
July 31 2008, 12:19PM

Ed, The media, I like Pisani and the deal he signed.