TINY BUBBLES

Robin Brownlee
July 04 2008 06:47PM

rumble.jpg

"Moron." "Wannabe." "Media junkie."

After a year of taking a public flogging from blowhard bully boy Brian Burke, Edmonton Oilers GM Kevin Lowe responded today and delivered the verbal equivalent of a pile-driver from the top turnbuckle on Total Sports with Bob Stauffer on Team 1260.

Tired of turning the other cheek with Burke still sulking and shovelling shat his way over the offer sheet to Dustin Penner last summer, Lowe lowered the boom in an interview that'll have Burke blowing snot bubbles until he bails on the fading Anaheim Ducks and skulks off to Beantown to put his stamp on the Boston Bruins.

If you didn't hear the interview -- easily the best Lowe has done in five years -- you can find it by going to http://www.justagame.ca/audio/Kevin%20Lowe%20Full%20Interview%20July%204.mp3

I'm guessing Burke will have brain fluid shooting out his ears when he finally hears Lowe's cutting comeback. Here's an edited excerpt of Lowe's comments:

LAYING THE SMACK DOWN

"Where do I begin? He's a moron, first of all. Secondly, he really believes that any news in the NHL is good news. Thirdly, he loves the limelight. I don't think anyone in hockey will dispute that.

"Lastly, he's in a pathetic hockey market. They can't get on any page of the newspaper, let alone the front page of the sports. Any of this stuff carries on. If he wants to get into a debate about what our offer sheets did to salaries, anytime . . . I'm sick and tired of it. I think everyone in hockey is. I know all our peers are like, 'Well, that's Burkie.' This guy is an absolute media junkie . . ."

Gold, pure gold, and overdue the way Burke's been wagging his yap since Lowe plucked Penner while the Anaheim GM was busy flushing a big stack of Henry Samueli's ill-gotten cash down the toilet dithering about in trying to sign Todd Bertuzzi.

THE LAST STRAW

The latest Burke volley came this week after signing Corey Perry to a $26.63 million contract -- he sniffed that Lowe was to blame for the stupid money now being thrown at restricted free agents.

"They're all being re-signed at inflated prices," Burke told the Los Angeles Times. "Everything I said a year ago has come true. Every single word.Most managers don't like starting fights with any other managers … thanks to the Edmonton Oilers, the second contract (for players) has disappeared."

"You go right now from entry-level to what used to be the third contract, thanks to two offer sheets from Kevin Lowe."

Between the offer sheets Lowe put on Thomas Vanek and Penner, Lowe forever changed how NHL GM's will do business, and Burke hasn't been able to shut his yap since.

Perhaps now, after having Lowe drive him cranium first into the mat and then go to the trunks and shred his gelatinous forehead with a box-cutter, he will. But don't bet on it.

-- Listen to Robin Brownlee every Thursday from 4 to 5 p.m. on Total Sports with Bob Stauffer on Team 1260.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#1 Brian Fellows
July 04 2008, 07:13PM

I heard this driving my 1983 Cutlass Supreme to the liquor store to buy a mickey of cherry whisky for the evening.

Finally Lowe shot back. FINALLY

My favorite line "He is running a team that he was basically given in Anaheim. He left Vancouver with nothing. I sent him a gift (with Pronger) an absolute gift"

And the attack on Anaheim as a city!? Brilliant!! Someone is getting tougher with a Billionaire of his own on his side.

#2 numbernine
July 04 2008, 07:21PM

If there's anyone that was due a verbal bitch-slapping, it was that puffed-up overblown meatball in Anaheim. Kudos to Kevin for, first of all, letting Burke totally embarrass himself over the last year, then tapping the dunce cap on him real tight. You wear it well, Burkie!

#3 Dav
July 04 2008, 07:23PM

That was fantastic! Easily on of the top moments for Bob's show and a memory I soon won't forget. Klowe was intense and genuine, and the more he shared the better it felt for him and for everyone listening. You can only take the high road for so long before you must strike back.

#4 Reefer Pete
July 04 2008, 08:21PM

Katz to Laforge - Why have guys been putting up this crap?

Laforge to Katz - Well, Cal was a 'take the high road' kind of guy. You know that you can ever win a fight with a bully. And he is from Saskatchewan. He's used to being been up on.

Katz to Laforge (in a curiously Burns-like fashion) - Release the hounds.

Laforge to Stauffer - Kevin is available for your show this afternoon. . . And by the way, why don't you ask him about Brian Burke.

Lowe to Stauffer - History

#5 spOILer
July 04 2008, 08:27PM

TSN has a virtually verbatim transcript of Lowe's words as their lead story on TSN Hockey right now.

But no Stauffer.

Not only does poor Bob not get a mention, it's like he never spoke.

Hope 1260 is getting some money out of it, since the content is 98% theirs. It's like Lowe wrote the article himself.

#6 David S
July 04 2008, 08:59PM

Hey Robin, the interview doesn't seem to be in the JAG clips section yet. Either that or I just plain can't find it. Can you post a link?

Just finished listening to Lowe's interview on July 1 though. He sounds like a completely different man. Its pretty obvious that this is really HIS team now and Katz is going to give him the support to do whatever it takes. I can't help but wonder about the pressure he's been under over the last few years. I met Kevin once, long ago. He's a good guy and I wish him the best, because after what he's been through, he really deserves it.

Thanks for the post!

#7 RobinB
July 04 2008, 10:36PM

David S: I'm not a linkage guy. Im just smart enough to know how to open my laptop and type. If you can't find it, odd are I can't find it.

#8 Wanye Gretz
July 04 2008, 10:48PM

The audio file has not been put up yet Nation. I am a linkage guy, and its not up.

I can give you the best quote of the interview though from the Great Kevin Lowe:

"(Burke) won a Stanley Cup? Great. I've won six Stanley Cups, you want to count rings?"

#9 mAD~mOD
July 04 2008, 11:20PM

Honestly, that was great radio.

#10 Rev
July 04 2008, 11:40PM

Glad that Lowe has finally responded. I honestly think it had to be done. But -

Enough is now enough. Nothing more can or should be said by either GM. The league has to muzzle them. Every word from this point forward will hurt the game.

#11 Rev
July 04 2008, 11:41PM

By the way - I give kudos to team 1260 for a week of non-unlistenable radio...great job....

#12 David S
July 05 2008, 12:41AM

Its up. Full props to Kevin!

http:www.justagame.ca/audio/Kevin%20Lowe%20Full%20Interview%20July%204.mp3

#13 Rick
July 05 2008, 11:41AM

I always figured the high road was the one to take here with the idea that eventually Burke would just fade into the background. Obviously he had no intentions in doing that so with this in mind I say good on Lowe for finally stepping up to defend himself and the team.

Ever since Burke's first outburst last summer it felt like Lowe had been tip-toeing through his business and both his joba nd the team were suffering as a result.

This interview feels like he just kicked in the jambs to announce that not only is he back but this team no longer needs to compare itself to other ones, it will be a team that other teams can compare themselves to.

Here is hoping it works.

The only thing that would have been better is if Lowe waited until Burke was celebrating Brian Burke Day in some shit hole BC town again.

Robin; I don't get the references that lowe made about Neidermayer. Any insight that you can share?

#14 AndrewB
July 05 2008, 01:27PM

Definitely not a coincidence that Lowe fires back at Brian Burke 6 days after we get a new owner. It is about time we put Burke in his place, now if only we can do the same to Pronger for continually trash-talking our city.

This is the beginning of the Oilers make-over, it is about time we became fearless.

#15 Micheal
July 05 2008, 02:18PM

Great article Robin,

Figures the one day this week I didn't listen to Bob's show and I miss the best interview of the year!

I loved that he gave Nonis top props and I've shared that same view on how he wrecked that Canuck team. I have never figured out why Burke's looked upon so highly.

Also good reference to MacT. Is it just me, or does he always have the best oneliners!?! (minus the Reasoner/Sakic comparison of course).

Thanks Reefer Pete... I busted another gut (if that's possible) on that mock conversation!

#16 Milli
July 06 2008, 09:48AM

“(Burke) won a Stanley Cup? Great. I’ve won six Stanley Cups, you want to count rings?” This is an awesome quote!!!!!! F_ck me, I am so happy Klo finally hit back!!!! I wonder if Burkie can even count past 5??? I've been saying for a year that the Mouth of the South was just beaking off to cover his own ass, being to close to te cap and not protecting is assets!!! ya, burkie, it's Klo's fault you signed big bert, it's Klo's fault you didn't qualify Penner???? Fired in Vancouver.....No shit...He destoyed that team, the cuboard was empty when he left. Now Burkie's gotta dump salary again...who's running their team into the ground now???? I like the new era...the we can compete era. The more cups era....I gotta drive 12 hours return to see a game and I'm buying a mini pack this year!!!!!

#17 jay
July 06 2008, 11:28AM

Way to grow a pair and put that idiot Burke in his place!!

#18 Dennis
July 06 2008, 06:14PM

Burke deserved a shot but if I signed Souray to a certain contract back in July of '07, I certainly wouldn't be calling anyone ELSE a moron.

#19 Wanye Gretz
July 06 2008, 09:55PM

Are you really going to buy a mini pack Milli? Holy crap, if you do that is some serious committment!

#20 Milli
July 07 2008, 07:52AM

totally....I AM THERE FOR FOUR OR FIVE GAMES TIS YEAR!!!!! AND I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

#21 Wanye Gretz
July 07 2008, 09:37AM

You Milli are one of the greatest citizens of the OilersNation, without a doubt.

#22 Milli
July 07 2008, 03:53PM

Ya, Wayne, well, I'll even let you buy me a beer!!!!! hahaha.

#23 RobinB
July 07 2008, 05:56PM

So, if Bettman has stepped in and told Burke and Lowe to cease and desist, why is Burke fartcatcher Adam Brady still taking pokes at Lowe on the Anaheim Ducks website?

Brady, who is employed by the Ducks -- he is director of publications and new media -- posted a blog at 8:53 a.m. today, which is before Bettman's edict that both sides shut it came down, and it's still there for all to read.

It begins . . .

“Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.” - Abraham Lincoln

For almost a year, while Brian Burke took repeated jabs at Edmonton GM Kevin Lowe for last offseason’s offer sheet and signing of Dustin Penner, Lowe refrained from firing back. But you know what happens when you let things build up and fester inside – when things finally come out, they tend to get overcooked.

Kevin Lowe’s fiery and often mindless diatribes during radio appearances and interviews late last week were akin to punching your buddy in the shoulder a few times and him waiting a year before running over your entire family with his car . . .

If you want more of Brady's snivelling on behalf of his boss, you'll have to go to the blog. That's assuming the Ducks don't do the right thing in the spirit of Bettman's gag order and pull the contents.

#24 Tommy
July 08 2008, 09:22AM

And it is still there to read with the following lame-ass addendum:

Updated July 7 at 5:01 p.m.

In an effort to make matters clear on my previous blog entry, I want to note that it was posted early this morning prior to the NHL releasing a cease and desist order on the matter involving Kevin Lowe and Brian Burke. My blog entry was posted at 8:53 a.m., and we did not receive word of the cease and desist order until 11:10 a.m. I hope that this helps with any confusion.