Il voce nuevo

Robin Brownlee
August 14 2008 12:01PM

There's going to be a new voice in the radio booth for the Edmonton Oilers on 630 CHED this season—and no, HHOF broadcaster Rod Phillips, who we profiled at Oilersnation the other day, isn't going anywhere.

What I'm hearing is Phillips long-time colour man, Morley Scott, won't be back for the 2008-09 season and that an announcement to that effect could be made by the team as early as Friday.

If that's the case, and I believe it is, that's another hole to fill with Oilers broadcasts on radio and TV for the coming season.

Sportsnet is already looking for a replacement for Ray Ferraro, the highly regarded analyst for Oilers TV telecasts for the last several seasons.  While play-by-play man Kevin Quinn will be back after signing a new contract, as will host Gene Principe, Ferraro leaves big shoes to fill as he moves along to TSN.

The candidates to take over for Ferraro likely include former NHLer and Edmontonian Rob Brown, who has done analysis on Oilers pay-per-view, former Oiler Louie DeBrusk and Scott, who has done some play-by-play on pay-per-view.

Who’s Next?

As for who'll ride shotgun as the analyst with Phillips on 630 CHED, that's anybody's guess—especially since Scott's exit hasn't been made official by the team yet.

I obviously don't get a say in who'll take over for Scott, but I know who I'd hire—if I was the Oilers I'd be looking at Bob Stauffer, the opinionated and connected host of Total Sports on Team 1260.

Hiring Stauffer works on several levels. First, Stauffer knows his stuff. Second, if you've heard his call of Golden Bears hockey and football, he knows his way around a microphone in a game situation, not just in the afternoon drive-time format.

Finally, snapping up Stauffer would put a helluva dent in TEAM 1260's roster—his afternoon show has the best numbers of the three sports talk call-in shows at 630 CHED's main rival.

I don't know if the Oilers would consider such a move, seeing as Stauffer has long been one of the most vocal critics of the team—or if he'd be interested—but if they want a guy who can make their radio product better, he's it.

Global TV's Kevin Karius has also done some good work in the radio booth alongside Phillips when Scott moved over to pay-per-view, but I can't see him leaving his gig and there's no way he could juggle his desk work on the tube with the demands of an 82-game season.

The only other candidate I can think of with any ties to the Oilers would be Brian Munz, who did play-by-play with the Edmonton Road Runners of the AHL during the 2004-05 season. Last I checked, though, he was working the mike with the Manitoba Moose.

Stay tuned.

—Listen to Robin Brownlee every Thursday from 4 to 5pm on Total Sports with Bob Stauffer on Team 1260.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#1 TonyRomo
August 14 2008, 11:37PM

As much as I would love to hear the sound of Jonathan Willis' husky voice, I would suggest Jason Gregor could do this too, he calls Huskies Games very well

#2 David S
August 15 2008, 12:08AM

Well at least the TSN games are about to get a whole lot more watchable.

How about Lowetide in the booth. He'd be able to start every broadcast with..."Remember Stan Mikita?".

#3 Pat
August 15 2008, 12:09AM

I assume we'll find out soon enough, but I'm interested in hearing why it is that Morley is moving on. I'm not 'in the know' at all, but I would be very surprised if it was due to any sort of dissatisfaction in his current position. I'd be more inclined to think that another position came up - one that would give him the chance to work more on his play-by-play chops.

#4 RobinB
August 15 2008, 12:18AM

David S: The only Lowtide I see in the booth is former coach Ron Low as a possible replacement for Ferraro on TV. I don't know if Ronnie is interested, but he's got the gift of gab and he obviously knows the game and the Oilers.

#5 Jeremy
August 15 2008, 07:21AM

What about (pardon my spelling) AJ Jackyibeck? Didn't he call the Ottawa 67's? If I am not mistaken he calls the Edmonton Rush, too.

#6 Brian Fellows
August 15 2008, 08:55AM

I'm with Tony Romo, Gregor would be good.

#7 Rick
August 15 2008, 09:08AM

Ray Ferraro leaving Sportsnet really sucks. He had the knack for telling it like it is without being offensive to the fan. I don't mind Morely Scott but he comes off a little too homerish for my liking.

As for Phillips' new right hand man, I could see Stauffer doing a decent job but I think he does his best work for the TEAM so I hope he doesn't move over to do colour. If he does, please god, don't let him anywhere near the big mic where he would actually end up calling the play by play. I must have heard his call of the Golden Bears goal, from a few years back, replayed a hundred times and I still have no idea what he said.

He sounded like Charlie Brown's teacher on an acid trip.

I like the Gregor idea but again I would prefer to see him stay on the TEAM as well. He does a good job there.

#8 1011011
August 15 2008, 10:07AM

Robin - Would the Oilers ever look to hire from another team in the NHL?

Would you ever do it?

#9 RobinB
August 15 2008, 10:17AM

101: I'm sure the Oilers would look at broadcasters from other teams, assuming they weren't under contract for the coming season. As for me, I enjoy radio and am trying to get better at it, but I'm a writer first. While Rod and I are friends and it would be a lot of fun, I'm not nearly good enough to contemplate doing colour at the NHL level at this point.

#10 Jason
August 15 2008, 10:45AM

Maybe they could get Dan Tencer to do it... Phillips could make hilarious "when you were in diapers" references. This is, of course, assuming Little Danny is done with the pull-ups.

I'm kidding, Dan, if you ever read this. I enjoy your show and your blog!

#11 Oilers Ninja
August 15 2008, 10:57AM

First of all if Stauffer where to get the job, it would be World War 3 between him and terry jones for who gets to sit beside the popcorn machine.

I found Karius kind of bland and abrupt... no voice for radio

Munz?????? I believe he is cousins with the star of "malcolm in the middle" or the uncle of the guy who wrote all the children's books.... either way who are you?

I do not mind the Gregor idea, he does brings alot of energy.

My pick would be Wayne Gretz with his witty hilarity, its just a shame he has the voice of a Castrada Singer...

And on another note, I had no clue Newfoundland joined the confederation in 1867..... good job Steve!!!!!

Judo Chop

#12 fyvmvv
August 15 2008, 01:24PM

Just remember that whoever replaces Morley will likely replace Rod Phillips and we had better like him because he could be there for a long time. Need I say it...Icksnay on B.Hall.

#13 Doogie2K
August 15 2008, 01:29PM

I assume Ferraro's and Scott's departures are linked, i.e. Scott is replacing Ferraro on Sportsnet. It's too obvious, especially with Matheson floating Scott as one of the candidates to replace Ferraro.

#14 RobinB
August 15 2008, 01:45PM

Doogie: It's not too obvious. You're putting 2+2 together and coming up with 5. I can tell you right now (1:44 p.m.) that Stauffer has taken the job vacated by Scott -- I'll be posting an item shortly. Scott is by no means a lock for the Sportsnet position.

#15 Doogie2K
August 16 2008, 09:23AM

I also usually fall for at least one of the red herrings whenever I watch a British mystery, so I'm perfectly ready to be wrong. Still, seems odd that he'd leave CHED if he wasn't confident in getting the SNet job, unless he had some other, unpublicized, reason for leaving.

#16 tech500
August 17 2008, 12:03PM

Robin, let me get this timeline right. You posted this article at 12:01 pm "suggesting" on Friday that Stauffer should be "considered" for the color position and then less than 2 hours later you are able to confirm it??? That is some good lawyers that Katz has that can get the deal done that fast. This has been in the works for weeks if not months. Its nice that Bob let you break the story but you should come clean that it was a fait accompli when you wrote the article.

That being said, Bob has been auditioning for this spot for the last several months as he has backed off his once previous harsh and neccasary criticism of McT and Lowe. His voice was needed in this town as a critical response to the CHED softballs. I hope that he is able to be realistic in his new position and question players, managers, motives and coaching tactics.

#17 RobinB
August 17 2008, 05:48PM

Tech 500: I can see how the posting time would lead you to the conclusion you did, but the problem is the time is wrong -- our guys should have it as 12:01 a.m., or Thursday at midnight. Hopefully, they will make the change.

By the way, Bob didn't "let me" break anything. Nothing was decided when I wrote the article you refer to. If it was, I would have written it then and not the next day.