Stauffer Steps In

Robin Brownlee
August 15 2008 02:05PM

It'll be the Rod and Bob Show for Edmonton Oilers broadcasts on 630 CHED next season. In one of the more major moves on the Edmonton broadcasting scene in recent years, the Oilers have hired Bob Stauffer, the host of Total Sports on TEAM 1260, to do colour on their radio broadcasts alongside HHOF play-by-play man Rod Phillips with rightsholder 630 CHED. Stauffer, who's consistently hauled down the biggest numbers for TEAM 1260 with his afternoon drive show since hitting the airwaves more than five years ago, takes over from long-time Phillips sidekick Morley Scott. Long one of the Oilers most vocal—and informed—critics, Stauffer has agreed to a multi-year contract with the Oilers and will make the move from TEAM 1260 to 630 CHED at the end of August. An announcement will be made today.

—Listen to Robin Brownlee every Thursday from 4 to 5pm on Total Sports with Bob Stauffer on Team 1260.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#1 Jonathan
August 15 2008, 02:21PM

So Robin, if you start suggesting that the Oilers make player moves, will they listen to you there too?

Makes your previous column look a little prescient.

#2 DJ Spyn Cycle
August 15 2008, 02:23PM

Bob's professionalism and reputation are revered, as proven by the HF Boards thread about his new digs: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=544131

People are congratulating him, but selfishly wishing he'd still do Total Sports!

#3 James
August 15 2008, 02:24PM

Nice move!

#4 Rick
August 15 2008, 02:47PM

What, Bob couldn't talk Katz into letting him be GM and President?

I hope this doesn't mean that the last two weeks of him hosting the show will be all roses and sunshine when it comes to the Oilers. I would love to see Stauffer piss off his new bosses.

Now that the speculation is done, I would have to say congrats to Bob but if he was going to move, it's too bad he wasn't doing the Sportsnet colour instead. I wonder what the chances are that Bob could talk Katz into buying Sportsnet so he could get that gig?

Robin; any inside poop on who is taking over Bob's show?

#5 BUCK75
August 15 2008, 02:49PM

A helluva career move, now what does the "team" fill his spot with? Gregor?

Stauffer will be missed at the "team". Although sooner or later the mighty oil will be back on CFRN as will Stauffer.

#6 Jenga66
August 15 2008, 04:13PM

Well, it will certainly be getting a little tighter in the broadcast booth.

#7 mjsh
August 15 2008, 06:37PM

I too will miss Stauffer's show. It was great listening to him rail about Mac T's coaching for the last few years. I rarely listen to Ched except the aftergame show if I get to a game at Rexall but might tune in this winter to see how they get along. I see Phillips as a cheerleader and Stauffer as a bit critical. So it should be interesting times in the press box.

#8 oilcrazy
August 18 2008, 10:49AM

I am going to miss listening to Stauffer - he is the best talk show host on team 1260 for sure..

#9 1011011
August 20 2008, 11:42AM

Jenga66 "Well, it will certainly be getting a little tighter in the broadcast booth.

That's gold