Primetime for Gregor

Robin Brownlee
August 24 2008 07:33PM

TEAM 1260 hasn't wasted time deciding who'll take over the coveted 3pm to 6 pm slot that went up for grabs when Bob Stauffer turned in his critics card to take a job with the Edmonton Oilers August 15th.

Expect an announcement Monday that Jason Gregor and his Just A Game show will be moving into the prime drive-time vacancy as of September 1st after five years doing nights from 9 p.m. to midnight.

With Stauffer joining 630 CHED as the color man with Rod Phillips on Oiler broadcasts after consistently pulling in the best numbers at the TEAM with his insights and volleys of verbosity on Total Sports, 1260 wasn't going to parachute a lightweight into that spot.

Gregor, who's spent his share of time around the Oilers and Eskimos as well as doing play-by-play for the Edmonton Rush and Edmonton Huskies since graduating from NAIT in 2001, was the obvious choice—unless management was going to look outside its current talent roster.

Moi? Wanye? Pfffft.

Readers of Oilersnation were representative of that, giving Gregor the nod in a poll with 123 of 283 votes cast, or 44 per cent.

That was well ahead of yours truly, who somehow managed 52 votes, or 18 per cent, and ringer Wanye Gretz, who made his immediate family and everybody associated with Oilersnation stuff the ballot box to the tune of 51 votes. I'm guessing TEAM management resisted the urge to give either one of us—speaking of lightweights—a look. The last thing Marty Forbes needs as he rides off into the sunset of Arizona on his Harley is the stench of that kind of managerial bowel spasm staining his rep.

Looking Ahead

So, Gregor it is. All told, that's a good thing—if you look past the designer glasses and his penchant for posing with hot chicks on his Just A Game website. He'll bring some edge to the slot and he's well-connected to the Oilers and Eskimos with players, coaches and management.

My understanding is Gregor will be bringing producer and occasional on-air fill-in Wil Fraser with him. They play off each other well on-air and there's plenty of chemistry there, so that's a positive.

I'm also told Gregor is looking to keep most or all of the so-called "Dream Team" assembled by Stauffer—Mark Spector of the National Post, Ryan Rishaug of TSN, Ken Reid of CTV and myself -- in the fold as rotating co-hosts against his better judgment.

There'll be a change or two from the way Stauffer did things, and that's fine, but I'm hoping Gregor welcomes the opportunity to bring the same critical approach to primetime. This market needs the balance Stauffer provided, and there's plenty of guys throwing underhand already.

The question I have is who'll assume Gregor's old time slot and how TEAM 1260 can come up with something to compete with 630 CHED's Dan Tencer and Inside Sports, which draws big, big numbers.

—Listen to Robin Brownlee Thursday from 4 to 5 pm on Total Sports with Bob Stauffer on Team 1260.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#1 Trent
August 24 2008, 08:51PM

Congrats Gregor & Fraser! Well deserved. Also glad to hear the alledged Dream Team will be sticking around as well.

I hope that Corey Graham gets the 9 to midnight slot.

#2 Abootzky
August 24 2008, 09:00PM

I like Corey Graham but he's awfully young knowledge and credibility-wise. I think the TEAM would be wise to bring in someone older and more experienced (Jim Jerome?) to co-host with Corey.

#3 Vaughn
August 24 2008, 09:51PM

Congrats Gregor. Corey would be a good choice as a replacement. He'd grow into it. As for being too young isn't Tencer like 15 or 16? Sure looks and sounds like it.

#4 Tone
August 24 2008, 10:56PM

This is good news. I like Gregor's style and analysis more than Stauffer's anyways.

I listened to Stauffer (and Gregor) regularly and Stauffer's show was entertaining, but all this talk that he is such a knowledgeable "hockeyman" is a little perplexing.I wouldn't mistake strong opinions for knowledge.

As far as the 9-12 slot I am not sure who could take that over, maybe someone will grow into it.

#5 Ed
August 24 2008, 11:16PM

Good scoop Robin! That jackass Wanye doesn't hold a candle to you. The only reason he got so many votes is because all of his illegitimate children got together and voted for their papa.

#6 Eugene Monias
August 24 2008, 11:32PM

Hey Rob, you think Jason can handle "The Warrior"?

#7 AndrewB
August 25 2008, 12:10AM

I agree with Tone, I have been an avid listener to the Team 1260, and although I listened to Stauffers show religiously, I much preferred Gregor's. It is a FAR more balanced show, and as much I love talking Oilers, it sometimes gets old.

I haven't listened to Inside Sports, mostly because of its time slot (same reason I didn't listen to gregor's show as much as I wish I had, is it any good?

#8 Hoos
August 25 2008, 02:00AM

Well, Warrior is a huge fan of Gregor's from back when Jason had a show on what was CJCA. I'm happy with the Gregor getting the prime slot; I've been listening to him since he used to fill dead segments with Seinfeld talk. His interviewing skills are stellar and really gets on with professional athletes in this town.

As for the night show ... here's my solitary vote for Corey and Jakubic to host in tandem. While Corey was good to play off Bob; he was the Iceman to Stauffer's "Maverick". I've said this on the air; Jakubic is the most misused guy at the Team. He knows every sport and could carry a show with Soccer Steve just as well as he does the play by play for the Oil Kings. Good knowledge and a good demeanor, that night time show could be cool.

Congrats to Gregor, and sorry Wanye, but those of us who know you know your Rishaug good looks would be wasted on radio.

#9 Hoos
August 25 2008, 02:07AM

Oh, and if that doesn't work, they could always bring back Tony Fioroillo and Jeff Jackson....

Because that worked SOOOO well.

#10 Dennis
August 25 2008, 11:06AM

I really liked it when Wil Fraser said the Oilers made the right move keeping Greene over Hejda.

I look forward to reminding him of that.

#11 mAD~mOD
August 25 2008, 09:19PM

Bob leaving was bad enough, but Gregor taking over the slot is tragic. The last time 1260 put a CJCA castoff (John Short) it an afternoon slot it was a disaster.

#12 RobinB
August 25 2008, 09:24PM

Dennis: That's the beauty of shows like Total Sports and Just A Game -- people give their takes and there's always an "I told you so" or what were you thinking?" involved down the road.

That's good radio. Everbody who takes a stand on the air or in print has lots of examples that make them look like blockheads, but I'd rather have that than listen to people who sit on the fence and never say anything remotely interesting.

#13 Dennis
August 26 2008, 11:27AM

Oh, yeah, RB, I"m not debating that.

I just thought it was funny at the time that he would be so dismissive of Hejda and so supportive of Greene.

Keep in mind that Frasor said this halfway through last season when Hejda was well on his way to a very good first season in CBJ.

I just remembered that remark and the whole conversation because that was also the night Frasor told me that my opinions didn't matter because I wasn't a season ticket holder.

#14 RobinB
August 26 2008, 01:29PM

Dennis: Neither am I. Guess I won't be offering my opinion on the Oilers any more. That's a bad take by Wil.

#15 UC
August 26 2008, 02:26PM

Love Gregor's show but it will not be the same in the afternoon.Can you see Will Frazer Wed night trivia on a drive home show? Gregor was made for night time radio just like Bob couldn't of done Jason's job. All the best to Jason but be warned it won't be the same show we have come to admire.

#16 Dennis
August 26 2008, 02:27PM

RB: Yeah, when I've listened to him on Gregor's show, I've always got the impression that he watches a lot of sports but he doesn't really learn anything From Watching them.

Now, maybe I got his dander up -- and I have been known to do that;) -- by laughing at him when he said that Greene would end up being a better dman than Hejda; but, he was a guy who a few times would fall back on, "well, I was talking to Scout A and he likes Player B and that's good enough for me."

Like I said, a guy who never learns anything for himself.

#17 Dylan
August 30 2008, 03:02PM

Gregor's selection as Stauffer's replacement is well deserved! Gregor is knowledgeable, but not as padantic as Stauffer. Gregor's opinions are objectively based and not so strongly based on personal beliefs as Stauffer's were. Of cource Stauffer was going for a different angle, albeit too contrived. He played the extreme devil's advocate to much success for his nieve kool-aid drinking followers who lacked their own opinions and needed someone like Stauffer to tell them what opinions they should have. Having said that, Stauffer was entertaining and charismatic. His show filled an immense void in local afternoon sports talk. It was the most comprehensive sports (or hockey) show during the drive home hours. I will miss his show, but i must admit, his show was getting stale and less engaging after the regular departure of Spector. Stauffer's so-called "dream team" replacements were too patronising towards Bob and lacked chemistry with the said host. Brownlee, sucked up to Bob, perhaps too secure his co-host gig. Ken Reid tried too hard to be a comic relief, with his self depreciating schtick getting too old and annoying. He reminded me of the class clowns who were so insecure that they had to try to be funny and self depreciating just so they could feel accepted by the others. Unfortunately, he was liked by some listeners, which reflects the kind of mentality that they possesed. Rischaug was the only objective co-host who had enough confidence to challege Bob's subjective views. If it was'nt for Bob's personality, the show would have totally bombed after Spector left. With Spector's departure and the subsequent staleness of the show, it seems to be perfect timing for Bob to move on to bigger things while still at the peak of his show. It will now give the listeners a new breath of fresh air with a new charismatic and knowledgeable host which should keep the show relevant and engaging for years to come. I just hope Gregor developes his own show without relying on features that Bob used on his shows, like the dream team, etc.. Gregor should create his own show instead of regurgitating what Bob did. It will minimise comparisons and give Gregor his own distinction as a premier sports show host. In closing, i want to quote a person who commented about Stauffer: " i would'nt mistake strong opinions for knowledge". What a great quote! Having said that, i will miss Bob, but i am looking foward to seeing Gregor taking over. Good luck to Both, Stauffer and Gregor! They both deserve it! Onward foward!

#18 Shawn
September 11 2008, 12:07AM

I miss the often open line of the old show .... not a shot against Gregor but i tuned in for the past 4 years cause the old show seemed more about the listeners. I appreciate its a new host but ... the emails and calls is why i tuned in