August 25 2008 09:14AM
Jim Matheson had an interesting piece in the Journal on Sunday about Daryl Katz’s foiled attempt to land the big fish Georges Laraque back in the Oilers rowboat.
According to the article, Laraque was offered a four-year deal at $1.5 million per season to come back Chez Oilers and give Boogaard the beating he has so richly deserved since Georges left in 2006.
Laraque goes on to say:
"I see Daryl Katz almost every morning at the gym (Body by Bennett)... We're good friends, and I talked to Kevin (Lowe) and Mac (MacTavish). At the end of the day, my mom said 'You played here for nine years, give the family back home a chance to see you live.' "She said, 'If you sign there for three years, you'll still only be 34 and maybe you can still finish in Edmonton.' "
There is a lot to take in here:
- Laraque was that close to resigning in Edmonton? It just goes to show you how little actually hits the newswires ‘round here.
- Laraque and Katz work out together? That’s gangster.
- $6 million for Big Georges? That would have been a pretty big admission of error on the part of the Oil, who as I recall were offering him in the area of $1 mil per year when he left. I wonder if they would have given him the no-trade clause he so highly desired last time around.
- It’s good to see Georges listens to his mother, like any good Canadian boy should. Imagine how tough she must be, to still be able to tell Georges what to do.
- We like how Katz rolls. Goes to the gym, sits down at the elliptical machine next to Georges, “accidentally” lets a gigantic money roll fall out of his pocket onto the floor, then talks Laraque’s ear off about the new Anthony Henday opening in 2010 and about how great it is living in Edmonton.
All in a day’s work, we suppose.
51 votes in the poll?? We put me in the poll as a joke. Grazie Nation, mille grazie. Take that Dr Randy Gregg. Who went to medical school now? In celebration, we shall refer to ourselves as Dr Wanye Gretz, to celebrate the week we beat a real live doctor in a popularity poll on a website he has never even heard of, much less visited.
Sexily yours, Dr Wanye Gretz