Twenty years since the day the music died

Wanye
August 09 2008 09:37AM

When we found out that Gretzky had been traded were seven years old at the time. We were on a family vacation, and we asked our parents if we could move to another city and not go home to Edmonton. Tears were shed that day, lambs.

That is all we have to say about that.

Where were you?

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#1 Milli
August 09 2008, 10:27AM

I can still remember where I was, walking though the "Bay" in hell, I mean Calgary with my parents. It was on the wall of tv's......

#2 Abootzky
August 09 2008, 11:51AM

I was in the process of moving that August. On the 9th, I was in Edson but my TV and stereo were still back in Edmonton. I first heard the shocking news on Edson's CJYR radio and didn't want to get out of the car even though I had lots to do there. It didn't take long for me to decide to scrap my plans and drive back to Edmonton so I could stay tuned to the reaction back home.

#3 charlie
August 09 2008, 05:01PM

I was seven years old, and I too shed tears. I'm pretty sure it was the first time in my young life that I had felt loss and disapointment.

Tough, tough day. Even worse when my mom bought me a Kings hat. I didn't forgive her for that until last week.

#4 charlie
August 09 2008, 05:05PM

However... it was twenty nine years ago today that we drafted my favorite Oiler of all time, MR. MARK MESSIER.

#5 Travis Dakin
August 09 2008, 05:26PM

In 1987 I have my first ever memory of being at an Oilers game. I was standing with my face pressed against the glass in the Oilers zone during warm-up. I was in awe watching the team doing their drills. All except W ayne Gretzky. He was standing watching the team do their thing right in front of me and I asked my Dad why Gretzky doesn't have to practice. He said, "Because he is the greatest. They are all trying to be as good as him." Just as he said that, Gretzky tapped the glass to get my attention, looked right at me and gave a nod and a wink and skated off to join the rest of the team. Something so simple, yet 20 odd years later it still resonates in me. On August 9, 1988 I was 8 years old and I was sitting in the living room when my Dad heard the news on the T.V. I couldn't then, nor can I today understand why he had to go. Gretzky is God. Never forget.

#6 Brian Fellows
August 09 2008, 10:24PM

I was outside Molson House during the press conference, and hoped they would announce it was all a joke. Screw you Pocklington

#7 Jeremy
August 10 2008, 02:44AM

Katz was right when he said that Pockilngton shouldn't be hated for the trade. If not for him, we wouldn't have a team. That said, I would still kick him in the scrotum if I ever met him on the street.

#8 10011011
August 10 2008, 03:56AM

Jeremy -

uh huh. straight up

#9 Chris.
August 10 2008, 12:28PM

I was a paperboy making deliveries when I saw the headline,"Gretzky Gone". I almost vomited I was so upset. I can pinpoint the exact moment I became an Oilers fan: when Grant Fuhr made his stand in New York back in '84 for a 1-0 victory in game one of the final. Years later when the trade happened I was still so young it hadn't occured to me that the Oilers wouldn't just go on winning forever. The fact the Oilers were not invincible hit me like a tonne of bricks with that headline... Call it a death of innocence. It remains my policy to this day to not brake for Pocklington in a street crossing.

#10 Greg Mc
August 11 2008, 11:38AM

I shed a tear or two that day. There were rumours for a couple of days beforehand, but it was still a huge jolt. Peter Pocklington aka Cocklington or Mr. Burns, whichever you prefer.