The HNIC theme challenge

Wanye
September 11 2008 10:38AM

Because of hilarious “only-in-Canada” style bungling, CTV now owns the rights to the Hockey Night in Canada theme song which has been a CBC institution for over 150 years. CBC, trying to cover its own butt, has launched a contest where ordinary Canadians can compose a theme song of their own and have a chance to win some prizes and the actual honour of being the composer of the new HNIC theme. This new song will be played prior to the start of HNIC for another 150 years, when it too will be stolen from the CBC.

This is actually a cool contest, though clearly not one that your ol’ pal Wanye can enter. The best we could submit would be a 50-minute recording of us clapping and yelling “HOOOOOOCCKEEEEEEY” over the sounds of the cars driving on the bridge under which we live.

But many people have entered and we keep seeing ads for it on CBC, especially during the recent Olympics. We can't handle the song that they usually show—the one with everyone screaming incoherently along to a vague tune while standing in the bar. First, there are children in the clip. We don’t think that children screaming in a sports bar is good business, but we don’t work for the CBC. Secondly, there is something unsettling about the vacant desperate stare of its creator. Something that says “if I don’t win, expect me to mail you a box of my toe nails annually, you CBC bastards.”

So we decided we would go over to CBC’s anthem page and peruse through some of the top rated ones. Some of them are actually quite good. Others are so bad we would rather have air horns blasted into our ear canals for a week straight, rather than be forced to hear them again. But after half an hour of poking around we have come up with this one which we will endorse as the Wanye Gretz Sing Song Champion 2008™.

Check it out here.

It’s a good track and we can picture listening to it on Saturday nights as we wait—wearing only an authentic Dr Randy Gregg jersey—for the second half of the double-header to commence. Its author Rene Schmidt is from Chestermere, AB and we will gladly support a fellow Albertan.

We highly suggest you vote in the poll. We would ordinarily never encourage anyone to vote for anything—especially Civic, Provincial or Federal Elections. But do a stranger from Chestermere a favour—and vote for his song.

Good luck to you Rene Schmidt, wherever you are.

—Wanye Gretz is now 97.5% body lice free and can be reached at wanyegretz@gmail.com.

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#1 Tony Romo
September 11 2008, 11:21AM

This actually is pretty good. Has anyone heard the one with shotgun blasts and stuff? I heard it was done by the guys that tried to get that Canuck into the all star game

#2 The Towel Boy
September 11 2008, 11:22AM

Umm...wow.

#3 Brian Fellows
September 11 2008, 01:26PM

I don't understand how CBC could let the anthem get sold out from underneath

#4 RobinB
September 11 2008, 02:01PM

Wanye: How'd you get Kevin Karius to pose for the goofy photo? And what's that big black bulb between his legs?

#5 Steely Dan
September 11 2008, 03:25PM

Yes, but what kind of song will it be? Will Canada want an instrumental, or something different. Remember we're talking the '60s when Dolores Claiborne wrote it. The boys in this link are from Edmonton: http://anthemchallenge.cbc.ca/mediadetail/279702

#6 Chaz
September 11 2008, 03:43PM

Why don't they just bite the bullet and pay Stompin' Tom to use The Hockey Song? Or maybe get the Hip to re-record a more modern/rocking version?

#7 Chris.
September 11 2008, 05:00PM

I hate the CBC. The sooner they lose playoff coverage rights to Sportsnet the better. I remember a couple of years back when Toronto played Montreal on the last night of the regular season. A Toronto win could result in a playoff berth...((Only if the NYI were to lose thier last game.) Well our friend Don Cherry pregame said, "This game is more exiciting than game seven of last years final." Thanks a lot Asshole. The Oilers were in that game. Don Cherry and the entire CBC crew (Except Don MacLean)sucks ass!

#8 charlie
September 11 2008, 05:08PM

I agree with Chaz... The Hockey Song pumping nice and loud when I'm half in the bag at a pub waiting for the Oil...

I'd be one loud and more than just slightly beligerent fan singing along to them shits.

#9 mAD~mOD
September 11 2008, 08:34PM

So "Saturday Night" by the Bay City Rollers didn't make the cut.

#10 BUCK75
September 12 2008, 07:50AM

Or they could use a song that they ALREADY own & don't use anymore.

From "Original Six Hockey League" Blog

#11 The Swallow
September 12 2008, 01:40PM

Can those that have had the time to check out songs recommend some of their favs?

After checking out songs for a few hours last weekend, this is my favorite so far (link below). I swear I'm not promoting something I did, just my fav so far. I'd like to hear more, but cant be bothered to sift through a bunch of crap.