GDB 44: Party Time

Wanye
January 16 2009 08:50AM

Oh we hate Fridays.The misery that comes as you count down your final eight hours of the work week. The terrible knowledge that the weekend is upon us and that there will be two whole days of not having to work before the joy of Monday returns. Someone may try and sell you beer in the next 48 hours for heavens sakes. We must have the strength to say, “No thanks friend. I don’t need beer to enjoy yourself.”

*pregnant pause*

If you are watching the game tonight do your ol’ pal Wanye a favour. If you are near Edmonton -- come to Hudsons on Bourbon Street. Click on the Game Day Party ad on the main page and print off the evite too. We were originally going to use the money to support the rebel troops closing in on the Capital City and General Montoya. His bloody regime must be brought to an end by any means necessary.

Then it was helpfully pointed out to us that we don’t actually know any rebel troops and that General Montoya is simply someone we made up in our head. Apparently imaginary political causes can’t accept real money as donations. Instead it was politely pointed out  that the Nation is currently supporting Kids with Cancer and that for every evite returned the people at Hudsons will donate $2. Decent.

For those of you who won’t be in attendance...

We will pour a little on the ground for the homies that can’t be with us. Top of the list: Willis. If he lived in Edmonton -- or Alberta for that matter -- we would load up the Nation Van with duct tape, a black hood and some Twizzlers, in case we got hungry on the way. Then we would cruise over Chez Willis, kindly negotiate with Mrs. Willis, then strong-arm Jonathan out of the house and roughly load him into the van. Then we would go to the party.

Those of you who won’t be in attendance -- our hearts and thoughts are with you. We generally get a little emotional watching Ryan Smyth playing for any team that doesn't rhyme with Snoilers. We may get a little extra emotional after a few beers tonight, especially if Smyth scores. We will need emotional support to get us through the evening and we appreciate all the help we can get. We will also be selling off the tickets to the Oilers rematch against the Wild on Jan 30. These tickets were donated by Buck75 to the cause. Personally we wouldn't part with Oilers tickets if someone had our entire family hostage.

But we don't negotiate with terrorists.

That's our policy.

Thoughts of last night

When Sheldon Souray positively ended the life of Weller we can’t help but think fondly of all the Souray haters that didn’t give the guy a moment’s peace on the airwaves and on the Nation in the off-season. Still think that he was a bad signing? Other than the odd giveaway here and there he has basically been everything that the Oil wanted when they brought him in. Plus he is a rockstar that make the ladies go “OOOOOOOWHEEEEE!”

And when is the last time Liam Reddox did that? Huh? Never.

That’s when.

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#201 jeanshorts
January 16 2009, 08:36PM

As much as I would love to see Smytty get his 300th tonight, I don't want him to do it until the Oilers have a safe 9 goal cushion.

#202 BUCK75
January 16 2009, 08:45PM

SMAC not playing? Strudwick will have to fight Strachan. Check out that guys face from last night

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uDfvK0S50E&eurl=http://video.google.ca/videosearch?sourceid=navclient&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2005-05,GGLD:en&q=stride%20gum%20g&feature=player_embedded

#203 BUCK75
January 16 2009, 08:50PM

BUCK75 wrote:

The right link of Strachan vs Chris Stewart last night.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uDfvK0S50E&eurl=http://video.google.ca/videosearch?sourceid=navclient&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2005-05,GGLD:en&q=strachan%20fightiurl=http://i4.ytimg.com/vi/3uDfvK0S50E/hqdefault.jpg&feature=player_embedded

#204 BUCK75
January 16 2009, 08:52PM

!@$#$@$$

Colorado doesn't ever roll over for Edmonton. Why is Brodziak playing defence?

#205 Dropping Deuces
January 16 2009, 08:54PM

I'm listening on the radio. How was that goal?

#206 Dropping Deuces
January 16 2009, 08:55PM

I'm glad the Oilers PA announcer doesn't sound like he's doing a monster truck rally.

#207 BUCK75
January 16 2009, 08:59PM

Dropping Deuces wrote:

I’m listening on the radio. How was that goal?

Smid pinched, Staios goes over to help Smid, Hensick gets puck dipsy doodles in & out with a shot around Brodziak & beats Garon over shoulder/blocker. Weak: Defence & Goaltending

#208 Dropping Deuces
January 16 2009, 08:59PM

* Stares out window at tumbleweeds blowing down the dirt road*

#209 BUCK75
January 16 2009, 09:02PM

SMYTH BREAK AWAY - Stopped by Garon

*whew*

#210 Dropping Deuces
January 16 2009, 09:03PM

Rod Phillips says monsterous saves by Garon and Raycroft

#211 BUCK75
January 16 2009, 09:07PM

@ Dropping Deuces:

I would agree - 2 on 1's that turn into break-aways when we are on the powerplay that are save are pretty monsterous. Sloppy play in the 2nd from the boys in white.

#212 The Towel Boy
January 16 2009, 09:09PM

This is TB doin' a quick in and out (That's what she said!).

I've only seen a bit of the game so far from my bar stool. No I'm off to go play drunken hockey (it's an ancient style from the mountains of northern Canada)

So far we looked good in the 1st and on our heels in the 2nd...sound right?

And I just heard Ferraro say Garon was Smyth's ex team mate...

*crunches numbers...does math*

How?

GOILERS!

#213 BUCK75
January 16 2009, 09:11PM

deep oil wrote:

sorry guys i will not be at hudsons - had to go to the dominican for two weeks - villa has has speed so i can watch the game on the nhl network and listen to stauffer explain why the oilers lost tonight - deep oil has sunscreen and all you can drink crown royal

*lightbulb goes on over head*

hmmm - talking in 3rd person. Another person named Howard Kinsel aka The Warrior did the same thing. He also had a man crush on Stauffer & thought he knew everything about everything...

#214 BUCK75
January 16 2009, 09:15PM

BUCK75 wrote:

And according to his website Howard is on Vaction in Edmonton right now until Feb 18th. River Cree is pretty close to Stony Plain...come on man I know it's you. Nobody from Canada brags about drinking Crown Royal.

#215 R-DAWG
January 16 2009, 09:17PM

The Towel Boy wrote:

And I just heard Ferraro say Garon was Smyth’s ex team mate…

Ferraro=dumbass

#216 BUCK75
January 16 2009, 09:26PM

Could you imagine if KLowe was sucked into signing "shaggy" Tjarnquist" a couple of years ago after he scored all those goals. Disaster nearly adverted.

#217 Dropping Deuces
January 16 2009, 09:37PM

I wish I was drunk at Hudsons right now.

#218 BUCK75
January 16 2009, 09:38PM

*turns out lights, closes & locks door*

Shoulda gone to Hudson's - 8 comments awaiting moderation...

#219 deep oil
January 16 2009, 09:40PM

@ Jack Bauer: nope i dont ghostwrite but my style i scatching on just like gregor's clothes

#220 BUCK75
January 16 2009, 09:40PM

@ Dropping Deuces:

*pulls key out form pocket & lets Dropping Deuces in the JL*

Nice to see you!!!

#221 Dropping Deuces
January 16 2009, 09:42PM

@ BUCK 75

I'm at work, whats your excuse.

#222 BUCK75
January 16 2009, 09:44PM

WOW - Raycroft

Grebs nice tape to tape (for real) pass to Horcoff!

#223 BUCK75
January 16 2009, 09:45PM

@ Dropping Deuces:

I don't like $300 cab rides. Let's face facts I would be drunk there.

#224 Dropping Deuces
January 16 2009, 09:45PM

Must have thought he was Wolski

#225 deep oil
January 16 2009, 09:48PM

BUCK75 wrote:

BUCK75 wrote: *lightbulb goes on over head* hmmm - talking in 3rd person. Another person named Howard Kinsel aka The Warrior did the same thing. He also had a man crush on Stauffer & thought he knew everything about everything… And according to his website Howard is on Vaction in Edmonton right now until Feb 18th. River Cree is pretty close to Stony Plain…come on man I know it’s you. Nobody from Canada brags about drinking Crown Royal.

You do when you buy it duty free and take it on vacation to the DR where it does not exist - but then buck you drink Canadian MIST aarrrrgh puke - went to the Pakace Casino on Monday and lost $400 trying to work the numbers on blackjack again

#226 deep oil
January 16 2009, 09:50PM

BUCK75 wrote:

*turns out lights, closes & locks door* Shoulda gone to Hudson’s - 8 comments awaiting moderation…

what causes moderation = potty mouth or giving our Pat Laforges cell number..... really

#227 Dropping Deuces
January 16 2009, 09:52PM

I guess Brule is on the outs now.

#228 BUCK75
January 16 2009, 09:53PM

@ deep oil:

I am more a grey goose guy or Captain + Coke if I get tired of Kokanee. Whiskey turns me into a bad creature.

You got dedication man - posting on here from the dominican republic. But then again who am I to tell you what to do on your vacation.

#229 Dropping Deuces
January 16 2009, 09:54PM

He's trying to throw you off by saying he is on vacation. Unless staring through your window is what he does on vacation.

#230 BUCK75
January 16 2009, 09:55PM

@ deep oil:

Including "http" in links, saying sh!t w/o the punctuation - if I was as informed as you I would probably not try to give out phone numbers of people. Stuff like that ends up in a courthouse.

#231 BUCK75
January 16 2009, 09:58PM

@ Dropping Deuces:

If changing the wallpaper on your computer counts as a vactaion I guess I would be somewhere new everyday.

Fortunate win - brother

#232 deep oil
January 16 2009, 09:59PM

Deep Oil notes that oil management is ticked off with #9 that he is lending his name to River Cree and diverting the focus of the event - is glenn wanting to take over at Poker Stars where Mats left off ??? Oilers do not have full control of his off ice activities - just like the old days......

Note - the new club is the old club with a new name and they cleaned the gunshot residue off the walls

#233 BUCK75
January 16 2009, 09:59PM

@ Dropping Deuces:

Brule was playing 4th line - they hardly played. Reddox didn't play much either though, or if he did he did a good job of doing nothing.

#234 Dropping Deuces
January 16 2009, 10:03PM

Its tough to get a read of who is playing with who on the radio. Who starts in goal vs Phoenix? I'd like to see Garon.

#235 BUCK75
January 16 2009, 10:07PM

Retro Jersey night - I think Roli. He looks better in the retro uniform

#236 freeze
January 16 2009, 10:09PM

a win!! huzzah!

#237 Pokie Reddik
January 16 2009, 10:27PM

baggedmilk is definitely not drunk wrote:

Liam Reddox looks like Jason Blake pre-cancer…

And Bob stuffer looks like Fred Flintstone.

#238 Pokie Reddik
January 16 2009, 10:28PM

Dropping Deuces wrote:

Its tough to get a read of who is playing with who on the radio. Who starts in goal vs Phoenix? I’d like to see Garon.

Yes the Old Billy Ranford

#239 rob
January 16 2009, 10:39PM

Nice super geek gallery. Baaaarrrrffff!

#240 David S
January 16 2009, 10:43PM

Dominican Republic?

Riiiiight.

It's fairly unlikely a guy who writes like a retired bus driver was ever on the Oil payroll, let alone has any credible "inside" info. Here's a news flash - alot of us over the age of forty could tell enough Oiler "Grinder" stories to sound legit.

If you want to make yourself sound important by spewing Oiler "inside news" crap in an authoritative tone, that's your sad reality. But how about leaving Glenn out of it huh? Any idiot knows his only affiliation with the team these days consists of friendships he gained over the years. Not to mention that nobody ever told him what to do anyways.

Seriously man. One of the greatest Oilers of all time is having his jersey retired on Sunday. I'm sorry you never really had anything to do with the team or those guys, but have a little respect huh?

#241 oilmoose
January 16 2009, 11:02PM

OH MY!!!

#242 Travis Dakin
January 17 2009, 01:59AM

Ok so it's almost 2:00am and I am farkin funk as druck. My girlfriend made me come home early so here I am. Yay win against a divisional rival for the Oil. I swear to hell that party you guys were at better have been a good one. I was trying to pretending that I was partying with the JL tonight but my girlfriend was just not quite up to playing the part of Wanye for me. oh well, I 'm going to bed to dream about Souray beating down some more mofo's. I love you Nation. You complete me.

#243 BUCK75
January 17 2009, 09:35AM

@ Pokie Reddik:

'old billy' traded to Pittsburgh - Roli it is.

#244 baggedmilk is hungover as balls
January 17 2009, 10:14AM

Why did we pick up another goalie? Seems strange to me.

#245 David S
January 17 2009, 11:38AM

baggedmilk is hungover as balls wrote:

Why did we pick up another goalie? Seems strange to me.

Well, we had to solve the three goalie problem and Springfield has been openly critical about how the big team has been treating them.

JDD comes up. Roster spot opens (which we'll need when guys get healthy). New goalie (JDD insurance?) and better assets for the junior team.

The thought is that there's still another trade cooking. Guess we'll see soon enough. Good job Tambo and Lowe.

#246 deep oil
January 17 2009, 09:26PM

David S wrote:

Dominican Republic? Riiiiight. It’s fairly unlikely a guy who writes like a retired bus driver was ever on the Oil payroll, let alone has any credible “inside” info. Here’s a news flash - alot of us over the age of forty could tell enough Oiler “Grinder” stories to sound legit. If you want to make yourself sound important by spewing Oiler “inside news” crap in an authoritative tone, that’s your sad reality. But how about leaving Glenn out of it huh? Any idiot knows his only affiliation with the team these days consists of friendships he gained over the years. Not to mention that nobody ever told him what to do anyways. Seriously man. One of the greatest Oilers of all time is having his jersey retired on Sunday. I’m sorry you never really had anything to do with the team or those guys, but have a little respect huh?

shiny at river cree, poker at river cree, club live at river cree, why not just retire the sweater at river cree - hit me

#247 deep oil
January 17 2009, 09:37PM

@ David S: NUMBER 11 - When the oil retired his jersey this is how it went down - Mess has a leadership camp that conflicted with the oil desired schedule - he choose the date leading to the SMYTH trading date issue - not the oil... then it was the oil's responsibility to cover all of mess' 50 relatives hangeron's that you saw show up on the ice behind him like fly's to honey.... then off to LUX for the Rexall - Cold FX party (endorsement) with the tragically hip until 3am - moosedictated what and when to the oil as they needed him more than he needed them....... $$$$$$$ expense reimbursement was to the max

#248 David S
January 17 2009, 10:19PM

Dope Oil -

Street talk + unhealthy dose of speculation + grade school grammar = EPIC FAIL.

Even if 10% of the crap you spewed were true, outing gossip nobody cares about doesn't make you a "source", despite your ever so brilliant sign-in name.

Congrats! You've become the Oilers Nation version of Eklund.

Good luck with that.

#249 GSC
January 18 2009, 12:37AM

docweb wrote:

If Tencer keeps using “locker room” instead of “dressing room” we might have to send Wanye after him to turf him back to the US of A.

Even as an American I call it the "dressing room."

Then again, I've been coached by Canadians for all my life, so the occasional "eh?" also enters my vocabulary. I also prefer Queen's English spelling (esp. with "centre," it just looks better).