GDB 45: Vincent Lecavalier

Jonathan Willis
January 18 2009 01:04PM

As we wait for the game against the Coyotes to begin, let’s consider two players over the past two seasons. Both are gritty, have good size, and are well-known and often mentioned as Top-10 players. Here are the numbers:

Player A

2008-09: 45GP – 28G – 21A – 59 PTS, +10

2007-08: 82GP – 40G – 66A – 106 PTS, -8

2006-07: 82GP – 56G – 54A – 100 PTS, +23

Player B

2008-09: 45GP – 15G – 22A – 37 PTS, +4

2007-08: 82GP – 41G – 44A – 85 PTS, -23

2006-07: 82GP – 49G – 57A – 106 PTS, -11

Player A is clearly superior to Player B. Outside of a slight difference in one season, he’s been a far better offensive performer, and his +/- totals are well ahead of Player B. Yet everybody, bizarrely enough, thinks that these two players are identical in ability, despite the fact that the statistics don’t support it at all.

The reason that everybody regards these two players as identical talents is because they are one player. Player A is Vincent Lecavalier, specifically his point totals against his own division, pro-rated over full seasons. Player B is Vincent Lecavalier against the rest of the NHL, pro-rated over an entire season.

I haven’t gotten into the effect of the various divisions on player performance, but it is something that we as Oilers fans should be wise to. We’ve seen the effect on Erik Cole, and it isn’t an illusion. The Southeast is the worst division in the NHL, by far, and it isn’t surprising that some of the league’s top goal- and point- scorers can be found there. It’s something that GM’s should keep in mind before making trades, at any rate.

It's something Oilers fans should keep in the back of their mind as they watch their team play the Coyotes and fantasize about what a new addition to the lineup could do to help the cause.

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
#351 Travis Dakin
January 19 2009, 12:00AM

It's a damn shame you missed this game Willis. It was a perfect example of what Hemsky means to this team. He was flying all game and everybody had that extra spark because of him. This teams offence lives and dies by this man. He is a complete player now in that he shoots all the time and is scoring and putting up points like gangbusters on a marginally successful offensive team. If he were to play the whole season I have not much doubt that he would put up 90-100. He is in top form now and it is scary. I believe this team is turning it around now and he will be the one to bring them to the playoffs. Book it.

#352 Jason Gregor
January 19 2009, 01:37AM

Jonathan Willis wrote:

THe reason Moreau wasn't the first star is that the three star selections are normally voted on by a media panel. THey collect the votes with 5 minutes to go in the game. And up until then Hemsky was first star, but last night was one of those times where they should have made an executive decision and given it to Moreau. First career hat trick should give him first star. It doesn't really matter at the end of the day, because for the Molson Cup, 1st, 2nd and 3rd star are all worth five points.

#353 DrPow
January 19 2009, 01:52AM

Jonathan Willis wrote:

friends from out of town - i got out of eating at my parents’ place when i got a real job - phoenix is in financial trouble - moreau not being the first star is because he plays oldies when the kids want to hear hiphop - the classic rock crew is losing the room as a result - macts always been a country guy, which is the only thing him and penner agree on - have I lost you yet or are you still reading

Willis, your Deep Oil'ish post is still much easier to read than DeepOil selling realestate in Arizona.

#354 Fiveandagame
January 19 2009, 03:31AM

wow the oil won..Moreau proved why he is captain and Hemsky proved why he is awesome.. GOILERS

The Black frog in Van tonight was awesome !!!!!

#355 The Towel Boy
January 19 2009, 08:27AM

Heyyyyyy 3rd Jersey/Retirement Game and a WIN! The curse is broken!

#356 Peso de Setenta y Cinco
January 19 2009, 08:43AM

@ The Towel Boy:

I wouldn't say broken - but improving. .500 against Pheonix in retirement games now.

3 wins, 3 Losses, 2 OT Points in the retro uni's now.

Definately the best game I have seen @ Rexall in some time. I noticed they added a drum guy in the stands to pump up the fans. Music slightly improved as well, I laughed when the played Hungry like the wolf though...

#357 BUCK75
January 19 2009, 08:44AM

@ Peso de Setenta y Cinco: Guess I should change my name back.

#358 The Towel Boy
January 19 2009, 09:08AM

BUCK75 wrote:

@ Peso de Setenta y Cinco: Guess I should change my name back.

Haha.

#359 Jonathan Willis
January 19 2009, 09:57AM

@ Jason Gregor:

Thanks, Jason - I didn't know that was how it worked. Good stuff.

#360 freeze
January 19 2009, 11:56AM

Wanye Gretz wrote:

They need to keep the dressing room feed live. This is the most interesting post game I have seen to date.

No doubt. Absolutely priceless! Worth the PPV price in itself.

Did anyone PVR that game? Get that clip on YouTube.

*clap, clap*

#361 Darcy
January 19 2009, 03:51PM

Jason Gregor wrote:

Ender the Dragon wrote: JW makes the case that it would be a poor trade for the Oil. CurtisS thinks it’s a no-brainer that the Oil do the trade in a second. I’m not sure what Gregor thinks; his answer is a bit ambiguous, but maybe he wasn’t aware there was a question. I didn’t know there was a question, but my answer is clear. If I’m starting a team, I take Lecavalier over Hemsky any day. There is a reason why Lecavalier is making the money he will make and what Hemsky makes, he has earned it. Hemsky has never been an 80 point player. Take out the salary and I don’t care what division they play in, I take Vinny hands down. Anyone who thinks Hemsky is better is wearing coloured glasses. Lecavalier plays in any situation, scores more goals, it tougher and has put up more points. To say that a GM would take Hemsky over Vinny is only based on money. If the question is what player/salary would fit better on a team, that is different than who is flat out a better player. I asked 10 scouts at the game tonight, and 10 out of 10 agreed with me. My other point Jonathon, you talk about tough and soft minutes. Well it seems that all 1st line players are considered tough minutes. But if a team has a checking line that doesn’t score, wouldn’t they be harder minutes to play against as on offensive player? Just curious.

Jason,

Maybe in the past. Not today.

This year Hemsky's ppg is 1.05.

Vinny's is 0.91.

Less points at half the price.

Also Vinnie is 28 and Hemsky is 25.

With the salaries being equal and you had to start a franchise today, you couldn't make a great argument for Vinnie over Hemmer today.

Last year maybe. Two years ago for sure.

With the salaries as they are, you take Hemsky and its not even close.