Garon's 'fair shake', Reddox ain't no Rudy

Jason Gregor
January 20 2009 07:46AM

I was asked where I am regarding the Potulny re-assignment and some other things, so I will venture in on that and more random thoughts regarding the Oilers.

What can I say about Reddox, other than I'm perplexed? The "HE HAS HEART" and "HE REMINDS ME OF RUDY" is a great observation, except, Rudy played two downs in four years. TWO. And they came at the end of the game with nothing on the line.

I won't lie, I, like most men shed a tear in that movie, and I loved that portly little bastard. How could you not love Daniel E “Rudy” Ruettiger (What the hell does the E stand for? I’ve always wondered that). He engendered everything that we love about heart, determination and the will to succeed in sports. Hell, all of us relate to that because none of us had the natural ability to succeed in a really high level of sports, and deep down we all respect those traits.

That was Sean Astin’s best role, followed closely by his Sam Gamgee portrayal in Lord of the Rings.

But guess what? Rudy was in college and like I said he played two downs. Liam Reddox is in the NHL, and that fact he gives it all every shift is great, but he needs to bring more and frankly he doesn’t have the skills to produce in the NHL. I don’t think Potulny does either, so I’m not surprised he was sent down.

Reddox can barely stick handle through the neutral zone, when he hits he barely makes an impact because his buck-seventy-five frame doesn’t impose much of a threat, and outside of being in the right place on the ice he doesn’t do much for me. Thankfully Nilsson will return on the 27th and Reddox will be off the top two lines. He will probably stick around as a fourth liner or pressbox guy. Can his RUDY attitude rub off on some guys? I guess so, but I don’t see him being a factor long term, nor do I see Potulny. At least Reddox reminds us of one of the greatest sports movies of all time, so that's a positive.

Promotion for the sake of it -- I think not

I am still in awe of the blinder mentality of some of the readers and Oiler fans on here. Many of you are quick to dispatch Ethan Moreau as only a fourth liner, while you are willing to just hand third line minutes to guys like Pouliot, Brule and even an inconsistent Robert Nilsson, hell some of you wanted to hand Schremp ice-time ahead of Moreau.

“They have more skill” is the usual uneducated response to why these three should play ahead of him on the third line. Well, I’m from the Show Me State, and none of them have showed any consistency in their careers and outside of Brule even a shred of a gritty game which is needed to be a successful third liner.

I wonder if you truly understand the dynamics of what it takes to win in the NHL and the types of players certain teams need. Moreau is what he is, and he has been in the league for 13 years doing it night in and night out. He is Liam Reddox, just bigger and with more skill. Moreau gives you all he has most nights, and what he has isn’t a ton of NHL offensive skill. But he fights if need be, with a separated shoulder at times, he blocks shots with his face, he doesn’t seek individual accolades and while he might not be in the class of Messier, Gretzky or Weight when it comes to leadership, he is far from a Shayne Corson.

Did you see how excited his teammates were when he got his first hat trick? Do you think they all don’t respect him as a leader?

If you take away PP points, he would be tied for second with 18, only one behind Cogliano’s 19. Only Hemsky has more even strength goals (10), while Moreau has nine and one SH so technically he is tied with Hemsky.

He is second on the team in hits, and has more than Pouliot, Brule and Nilsson combined, yet many of you think he is better suited on the fourth line. Yes, he takes a few too many aggressive penalties, but it's easier to kill off that penalty than a lazy hooking or tripping penalty any day.

I’m not saying he's the savior of this team, but on a team that has one of the softest forward groups in the league, demoting the one guy who brings grit is asinine. WAKE UP PEOPLE!

Garon talks about getting a raw deal

Yesterday I had Mathieu Garon on my radio show and the first question I asked him was if he felt like he got a fair shot from the start of the season?

“Well, if you look all around the league, a lot of goalies like Kiprusoff, Luongo and Turco had a tough start, and the team stuck with them a little bit longer. I don’t want to say they didn’t give me a chance, but it was really quick, two bad games and it was pretty much over, but what can you do about it? When you have three goalies you have the luxury to try other goalies.”

Clearly he wasn’t happy, but sorry Mathieu comparing yourself to those three goalies might be a stretch. The big difference is that those three are so much better than their backups that those teams have to go back with their starter even if he struggles. The difference between Garon and Roloson was marginal, and that more than anything was why he lost his job this year. He didn’t get as long of a rope as Roloson did last year, and that is unfair, but I think it was Deslauriers and not Roloson that made the Oilers feel Garon was expendable.

Deslauriers’ first game was in Calgary on Oct. 17. He wasn’t great but he won, and then his next start wasn’t until Nov. 9 in NJ. Guess what? He didn’t use rust or lack of practice as an excuse, rather he was the Oilers best player that night and the next against the Rangers. Garon’s mental game is what cost him this year more than anything.

He also talked about the allegations that he and Pete Peeters had a rift.

“It was good with Pete. I’ve heard and read things that I haven’t been happy with Pete and I wanted to bring in my own goalie coach, and that isn’t true... I never asked in the two years I was here to use any other goalie coach. I only worked with the goalie coach (Lyle Mast) in LA twice so that wasn’t true.”

I always liked Garon because he was honest and candid when you asked him a question. Athletically, he might be top three in the league, but it is the mental part of the game that he has to work on, and that is the hardest part of being a goalie, in my opinion.

If you want to hear the entire interview, visit www.justagame.ca for a listen. The first question was, “Did you get a fair shot?” There is also an interview with Rick Nash talking about the Blue Jackets and if Hitchcock’s defence-first attitude has made him change his offensive habits.

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
One of Canada's most versatile sports personalities. Jason hosts The Jason Gregor Show, weekdays from 2 to 6 p.m., on TSN 1260, and he writes a column every Monday in the Edmonton Journal. You can follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/JasonGregor
Avatar
#1 BUCK75
January 20 2009, 07:59AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I am becoming a Moreau believer again based on the last game. The Pheonix game started out slow (which isn't uncommon) but Moreau was on fire right out of the gate. Your assessment is spot on, lots of talent on this team - not enough guts. I am like the majority of the other posters here who get frustrated by seeing him play so much. Moreau on the powerplay says more about the other guys who SHOULD be playing. The simplicity of his game is the biggest reason he is always on the ice.

I think the offence this guy puts up is a bonus. He wasn't signed to score 20 goals, but he might again this year.

Avatar
#2 The Towel Boy
January 20 2009, 08:06AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Nice little morning tidbits Gregor.

I can see how Garon felt like he got the shaft. He left last season early due to injury, but before that he was playing like a number one on this team and was the go to guy. Then he comes in this season thinking it's his job to lose, and well...he did. But I agree with him that maybe he coulda got a longer rope. But, as was mentioned, shorter ropes are the reality of a 3 goalie setup.

Honestly, watching him play the season he never looked solid on most nights. He looked like he was reacting late to the puck and kinda looked shakey. The colorado game just before the trade was one of his best.

Avatar
#3 Jonathan Willis
January 20 2009, 08:33AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Two things:

1) Why don't you see Potulny being a fit over the long haul? He certainly looked good when he was up here (much better than Schremp, despite the superficial statistical similarities) and he's leading the AHL team in goals. I'm not sure that there's much else he could do to show he deserved another game. On a related note, any idea if the Oilers are sending him out to a) attend the AHL all-star game and b) avoid burning up waiver immunity during the all-star break?

2) Moreau's also been injured for two seasons; I think it's fair to question if that has had some long-term effect on his game. The numbers so far this season are largely positive; he isn't an offensive player but we knew that and he is eating up ice-time against some legitimate players so he's doing his job, even thought the puck is going the wrong way a fair bit. The galling part for someone like me is watching him pull Pouliot and Cogliano out of the faceoff circle so that he can take the draw - all while he is 3-17 in the circle. His penalties may not be "lazy hooking or tripping penalties", but he takes a lot of them, and often they're slashing penalties in the offensive zone, so it isn't like he's only getting them for messing up opposing player's faces. I also wonder (since he's an integral member of the PK unit) how his penalties are easier to kill than the other kind.

Nice article, and you do make a good point about Moreau's play so far this season, but I'd be curious to see you expand on those two angles.

Avatar
#4 Rob
January 20 2009, 08:40AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

My view of Moreau is that since he was appointed captain he is trying to do too much. He has taken too many restraining-type penalties at crucial times and hurt the team as a result. He got those goals last game by putting himself in positon to receive a pass and could have had maybe another goal or two. I am one of those who expressed opinions about the reason for Garon's sudden decline in net as coach-related. Clearly I owe Peeters an apology. That suggested reason for his poor start came from a radio sports show. It makes for a great interview when the interviewer asks the right questions and the interview subject is an open and honest person. It was very revealing and interesting.

Avatar
#5 Ender the Dragon
January 20 2009, 08:41AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Jason Gregor wrote:

Nilsson will return on the 27th and Reddox will be off the top two lines. He will probably stick around as a fourth liner or pressbox guy . . . At least Reddox reminds us of one of the greatest sports movies of all time, so that’s a positive.

It's hard (ok, it's nigh impossible) to make the case that Reddox belongs on the top two lines on a consistent basis. For a few shifts, maybe, to make a statement, but I'm not so naive as to think that Liam Reddox is the second coming of Ryan Smyth. As Jason points out, Reddox will soon drop down to the energy line where he ultimately belongs and that is all for the best. I just sincerely hope that I never see the day when Reddox is sent down to Springfield to make way for the likes of some punk from the 'Me-First' generation whose shooting average is higher. Talent is needed to win games, there's no doubt, but heart is what defines champions and there is always a place for some of that in the room.

Avatar
#6 Jonathan Willis
January 20 2009, 08:46AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

One more question Jason - do you think Garon is on the level about his goaltending coach? You noted back in November the following:

It was well-documented last season that Peeters wasn’t enamoured with Garon working with another goaltending consultant, Lyle Mast. Garon enjoyed working with Mast, and sources have hinted that #32 is no longer allowed to work with him.

Garon says here that he only worked with Mast twice. I'm not trying to rabble-rouse, but do you think Garon is downplaying the story because:

a) there wasn't all that much to it or b) out of a desire not to rock the boat?

Avatar
#7 dawgbone
January 20 2009, 08:46AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Jason, weren't you the one who started the rumour about Garon and the goalie coach?

Avatar
#8 Mark Martin
January 20 2009, 08:57AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I was impressed by Schremp in the first two games he played here. He was dynamic and his presence and skill made things happen. Poultony brought a better overall game than Schremp but I think Schremp's offensive ability is more unpredictable which reminds me of how Hemsky was a few years ago. Schremp played terribly against Florida which is the game he got benched in, but damn, the whole team played bad.

The thing I cant stand of the whole Schremp situation is how Mactavish cant seem to wrap his head around Schremp's positives and exploit them for the team's benefit. Instead Craig wants to focus on all the things he cant do and bury him as a result. Of course thats not taking into account that Mactavish hates his guts and seems determined to bury him in the minors.

Avatar
#9 Sean
January 20 2009, 09:06AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I think Reddox has earned his spot. He's played on both the top 2 lines and while he isnt lighting it up he's holding his own. We might see 85-51-34 in a shutdown role when Pisani comes back. Kyle Brodziak is getting better and better in the faceoff circle and that could be his ticket to more minutes.

Avatar
#10 Travis Dakin
January 20 2009, 09:07AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

How far away is Nando?

Avatar
#11 Braden
January 20 2009, 09:08AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Safe to say Gregor has zero credibility after his fabrications about contract extensions and Peeters.

Avatar
#12 Amber
January 20 2009, 09:08AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

The 'E' is for Eugene. That's all I have.

*Amber takes a bow*

Avatar
#13 Mike Krushelnyski
January 20 2009, 09:13AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Ender the Dragon wrote:

I just sincerely hope that I never see the day when Reddox is sent down to Springfield to make way for the likes of some punk from the ‘Me-First‘ generation whose shooting average is higher. Talent is needed to win games, there’s no doubt, but heart is what defines champions and there is always a place for some of that in the room.

I don't get this. 99% of the guys playing in the NHL have "heart". It takes a pretty special talent to half-ass it and play in the best league in the world. What Reddox doesn't bring is size or talent. It's kind of hard to blame the guy because he obviously has a great work ethic, he is just lacking in a couple of god-given areas - sad but true. I don't think a guy like Potulny, who actually brings some size and a half decent set of hands, is going to put in any less effort to earn an NHL job.

Avatar
#14 Didsdave
January 20 2009, 09:15AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Travis Dakin: Are you still the king of the chat channel?

Avatar
#15 Boondock
January 20 2009, 09:18AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Gregor also reported that Garon was offered an extension in the summer, which Garon denied in the interview.

Avatar
#16 Dropping Deuces
January 20 2009, 09:19AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I think Garon didn't get a fair shake. Roli got 2 months to get out of his funk last year and it cost us a playoff spot. Gaaron didn't get any leash this year. Maybe he wasn't mentally set up for that but what do you think any other starting goalie would have done if they had a bad start and didn't play again for a month. I have a feeling Roli is going to get tired later in the season and Deslauriers won't be ready for the minutes. I hope I'm wrong but I was a Garon fan.

As for Toby Reddox, I appreciate his effort but I don't see a fit for him on this team. Maybe until Stortini gets back but after that I would rather see Strudwick play on the fourth line.

I wsn't a big Pouliot fan but before his concusion he was playing well and I feel he is a better fit on the second line because his game is offensive and he has enough defensive responsibility but Nillson will be back soon.

Avatar
#17 TonyT
January 20 2009, 09:24AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I agree somewhat that Garon was not given a "fair" chance. However, there is something to be said about seniority and that's life. Like it or not Roloson got the Oilers to the SCF, that alone has clearly bought a huge chunk of leeway. Garon's never been a consistent starter in his NHL career, so for fans to believe he could shake doldrums and risk 20 games for him to come around is not necessarily naive but it is wishful thinking. People will argue that Roloson lost his first couple starts and was therefore given a longer leash, to those people you have to look at the fact that Roloson was not the reason he lost those starts, he can hardly be held accountable for the team scoring 0 goals. And while Garon did win his first 3, if you watch the tape as always his rebound control and positioning left alot to be desired.

Avatar
#18 Dropping Deuces
January 20 2009, 09:35AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I'm sure Gregor doesn't just start rumors. He gets information none of us are privy to, everyone spins the stories to make it sound the best for them.

Avatar
#19 APE
January 20 2009, 09:39AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

TonyT wrote:

Like it or not Roloson got the Oilers to the SCF,

Pretty sure it takes 20 guys to win or lose a game, not 1. He may have stood on his head and stole a game or 5 but to say he "got us" there is unfair to the rest of the team who worked their asses off.

Avatar
#20 APE
January 20 2009, 09:40AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Also, Roloson was NEVER a starting goalie before coming to Edmonton either so there goes that theory.

Avatar
#21 rindog
January 20 2009, 09:42AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I won't mention who said this but,

"Moreau is a good 3rd liner, that when he is on his game is a great 3rd liner".

That is true. I also know that when players aren't playing well or producing, they can be demoted.

In the 30 games prior to his hat trick, Moreau had 6 points and was -2 and took 17 minor penalties.

I am not sure what players we are talking about, but it seems to me that any numbers of AHL player could put up numbers like those.

I know, I know - it's not about numbers with Moreau. It's the intangibles that he brings to the game.

Can't he bring those same intangibles from the 3rd or 4th line, while the more skilled guys get the chance to play the roles more suited for them?

Don't get me wrong. I like Moreau and what he brings to HIS role. But, I am also caught wondering what Ethan Moreau has won at the NHL level? How does he know what it takes to win?

Avatar
#22 Jason Gregor
January 20 2009, 09:57AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Braden wrote:

Safe to say Gregor has zero credibility after his fabrications about contract extensions and Peeters.

Braden,

When Garon was here and I asked him about Peeters he declined comment, so when I had him on I asked him again.

I also never said he and Peeters hated one another, but if you listened to the interview Garon didn't deny that Peeters said he wasn't ready to play a game...

As for the contract extension I asked him because I my source within the Oilers said THEY DID offer him a contract. I will ask again, but if you think I make up stuff for the sake of it, that shows aren't that smart.

Not everything you report comes true, but I don't make up stuff just to post. The source I have within the Oilers has been bang on on many accounts so I will stick with it. IF you noticed, Garon said, "They never talked to me," which could be entirely true, but they could have spoken to his agent. It is an easy way to say there was no offer, when really there was talk with his agent.

Jonathon,

As for the goalie coach, working with him only twice seems quite low since he was in LA for two years, unless that is what he meant. I also wrote that I didn't think it was that big of a deal, because no team allows their goalies to snub their goaltending coach and work with one not associtated with the team.

I don't see Potulny here long term, because he doesn't have the skill set to kick Nilsson off of the top six, and he wouldn't beat out Pouliot on the 3rd line, and he definitely is not a 4th line energy guy. He could be a 13th or 14th forward because he is versatile, but with Nilsson, Pisani and Stortini all out and he still isn't here I don't see how he fits long term.

As for Moreau kicking out Pouliot of the dot, (which I have seen once) might have been his emotion getting the best of him. Sure it wasn't a great move, but one move like that doesn't mean he is a horrible player. I will ask him today why he did it. And if you look at Moreau's penalties or anyone who takes aggressive penalties, more often than not the team kills them off. Sure he could take less penalties, he has taken 22 minors this year, 20 that put them down a man, but he has been that way his entire career. Like it or not he will take 10-15 slashing penalties a year. He has his entire career, excluding injured seasons. While I don't say all are good penalties, sometimes in the flow of a game a good hard slash can send a message. He just needs to reign it in a bit. It will take some time, but I will have stats to back this up in the next week or so.

Avatar
#23 BUCK75
January 20 2009, 09:59AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

rindog wrote:

Don’t get me wrong. I like Moreau and what he brings to HIS role. But, I am also caught wondering what Ethan Moreau has won at the NHL level? How does he know what it takes to win?

Honestly... Moreau was on the 2006 team as well. Nobody has won sh!t on this team - but I am pretty sure Moreau has an idea of what it takes to get there. He wasn't Fernando Pisani that year, Moreau had 3 points, but he was as important as the other player every game of that run.

Avatar
#24 Travis Dakin
January 20 2009, 10:02AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Didsdave wrote:

@ Travis Dakin: Are you still the king of the chat channel?

No man, I am in the plant now. Who is this?

Avatar
#25 Travis Dakin
January 20 2009, 10:05AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Dropping Deuces wrote:

I think Garon didn’t get a fair shake. Roli got 2 months to get out of his funk last year and it cost us a playoff spot.

Exactly why they didn't wait for Garon to recover. Especially when him an dROli are pretty much equal. As MacT said all year, with 3 goalies, you go with the hot hand.

Avatar
#26 APE
January 20 2009, 10:06AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Jason Gregor wrote:

I don’t see Potulny here long term, because he doesn’t have the skill set to kick Nilsson off of the top six, and he wouldn’t beat out Pouliot on the 3rd line

Really? If this is the case why did we trade for him? So we can stock pile a bunch of 3rd liners?

Avatar
#27 APE
January 20 2009, 10:09AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Travis Dakin: I would say winning 3 out of your first 4 starts would be considered a hot hand wouldn't you?

Avatar
#28 Jason Gregor
January 20 2009, 10:12AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

rindog wrote:

Can’t he bring those same intangibles from the 3rd or 4th line, while the more skilled guys get the chance to play the roles more suited for them?

That is all he plays...playing 4 games on the top line when he was hot is exactly what you said earlier in your post..."WHEN guys struggle they should be demoted, well he was hot, got promoted and the cold guys demoted."

But I guess unless it is a skilled guy, who MIGHT produce only they get a better shot.

So when Hemsky goes ten games without a goal do you demote him? Once again you prove that you are knee jerk reaction fan. Hell, if a guy isn't going demote him, bench him...well then you'd be doing that to guys all the time. Plus you also rip MacTavish for line juggling, and now you want to demote Moreau because of his last 30 games...Hypocrite...

He plays 15 minutes a game, with basically none on the PP...he plays under 13 minutes of 5 on 5...that is 3rd line numbers. So he is playing exactly what you want.

And please enlighten us on these so-called skill players that deserve so much more icetime. And please include their stats so it proves they are more skilled, because last I checked I don't see any with better goal scoring numbers, AT THE NHL LEVEL, but I could be wrong.

Avatar
#29 Travis Dakin
January 20 2009, 10:18AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

APE wrote:

@ Travis Dakin: I would say winning 3 out of your first 4 starts would be considered a hot hand wouldn’t you?

And losing two laughers would be considered going cold when the next guys come in and win. Down side of the "3 headed monster"

Look, if Garon was that good he would have been playing.

Avatar
#30 Braden
January 20 2009, 10:18AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

"As for the contract extension I asked him because I my source within the Oilers said THEY DID offer him a contract. I will ask again, but if you think I make up stuff for the sake of it, that shows aren’t that smart."

What?

I didn't say you made things up - I said you don't have credibility anymore.

Obviously you would take offence to a statement like that but it sounds like the organization he telling you what they want to fans to think.

I remember Guy Flamming wrote some critical things about the Oilers a few years ago and they flat out stopped giving in information after that. Wouldn't even return his calls.

That's how this organization works. You seem like an honest guy so it's a shame the organization

Avatar
#31 Braden
January 20 2009, 10:22AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Damn, I just lost half my post.

Basically the message I'm trying to convey is I have zero trust in what management says and that filters down to the people covering the team.

Avatar
#32 Braden
January 20 2009, 10:34AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Jason Gregor wrote:

rindog wrote: And please enlighten us on these so-called skill players that deserve so much more icetime. And please include their stats so it proves they are more skilled, because last I checked I don’t see any with better goal scoring numbers, AT THE NHL LEVEL, but I could be wrong.

Matt Cooke has as many EV points as Horcoff.

According to your logic, he's just as talented as Horcoff because the numbers say so.

Avatar
#33 APE
January 20 2009, 10:39AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Travis Dakin:

I don't buy that whole going with the hot hand argument. I think the coaching/mngmt have a large part to play in Garon's struggles this year. You could hear on Gregors show yesterday Garon said himself he didn't feel like his game was developing in practice and the whole 3 goalie debacle obviously hurt his play. I'm not saying that Garon is an awesome goalie and we shouldn't have traded him. I am aware Roloson has outplayed him but I think it was much easier for Mactavish to justify always going back to Roloson than it was for him to go to Garon. Either way, I am happy for the Oilers this whole mess is resolved.

Avatar
#34 Travis Dakin
January 20 2009, 10:43AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ APE: I will completely agree that The Oilers management team screwed this situation up. Just like MacT putting guys out of postition or in wrong roles. If you don't set people up to succeed then they will most likely fail.

Avatar
#35 rindog
January 20 2009, 10:45AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Jason Gregor:

Kneejerk reaction fan???

That couldn't be farther from the truth.

I am ALL about defining roles and letting them play there.

When did I ever say that Moreau should be demoted. I said that when players aren't performing they can be demoted.

I do find it humorous that people support the Penner and Nilsson benchings, but are dead set against demoting or benching certain players when they aren't pulling thier weight.

On the other side, just becauase a guy like Moreau gets hot, doesn't mean he should play on the top line. He does not have the skill set to play on the top line...ever!!! You can give him (or his line) extra minutes (at the expense of the 4th line), but you should never try to put a square peg in a round hole (ie. Liam Reddox).

Our top 7 players (from the start of the year) are the only guys that should be playing on the top two lines. If injuries occur, then things can change.

rindog wrote:

I am not sure what players we are talking about, but it seems to me that any numbers of AHL player could put up numbers like those.

Where did I say that they deserved more icetime? I simply stated that guys like Brule or Potulny in their short time have displayed some offensive flair and should therefore be considered for the top two lines (as injury replacements). Guys like Potulny (.75 ppg) while averaging 10 minutes of icetime or Brule (3 points in 5 games since being recalled) should be given a chance in a more offensive role than guys like Reddox, Moreau, Pisani or Pouliot.

The thing I whole heardedly agree on that Moreau is doing exactly what I want. Playing on the 3rd line and not getting offensive minutes (or being asked to produce). When he gets upwards of 16 or 17 minutes (like he was earlier) he becomes ineffective. He knows his role and is sometimes asked to play out of that role.

Avatar
#36 APE
January 20 2009, 10:48AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I thought Potulny looked good with Cole and Gagner. To me, he was more effective than Nilsson was with them.

Avatar
#37 misfit
January 20 2009, 10:52AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

"Reddox can barely stick handle through the neutral zone, when he hits he barely makes an impact because his buck-seventy-five frame doesn’t impose much of a threat, and outside of being in the right place on the ice he doesn’t do much for me."

Fernando Pisani doesn't stick handle through the neutral zone, nor is he a punnishing hitter, but he's made a very good career out of "being in the right place" and is one of the team's more effective players. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that sound positioning is more important than throwing bodychecks or being able to dangle.

...and Rudy sucked.

Avatar
#38 Since79
January 20 2009, 11:01AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Sorry Greggor, you're wrong on Garon. He was royally screwed over by this organization and its coaching staff. Garon had every right to mention that other goalies were given a longer leash than he was. I don't think he's comparing himself to them, only that other teams' coaches gave their STARTING goalies a chance to get their games going. He should have been afforded the same courtesy. Instead he was railroaded by a coach who liked another goalie better.

Garon was treated like garbage this season by a coach and organization that's completely out of touch when it comes to dealing with goalies.

I heard you mention yesterday that Roli was tougher mentally; it's pretty hard to be mentally tough when you know you're not getting a fair shake from the coach and team CONSTANTLY. You and Rishaug talked about how he played when he was given the chance, yet you didn't bring up how the TEAM was playing in front of him during those games. They were non-existent.

Garon LOVED playing for the Oilers, anyone that's been to his house and/or met him knows this.

Other points...

Reddox needs to go. The guy is a joke out there and gets laughed at by the opposition, seriously. I would rather have Potulny playing with Gagner and Cole; there was chemistry there. Reddox does nothing but bugger up chemistry. The only reason MacT likes Reddox is because he's another borderline fourth line player who reminds MacT of himself.

You are bang on when it comes to Moreau. I think he's still learning on the job when it comes to being the captain; but I think he's done a good so far. He knew when to call a players only meeting and I think that may be a huge turning point in this season.

Avatar
#39 Since79
January 20 2009, 11:03AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Sorry, it's Gregor, not Greggor... damn keyboards.

Avatar
#40 Bruthah
January 20 2009, 11:06AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I doubt Garon was given a fair shot. Kinda like another goalie that's currently 16-5-1 this year.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8469152

But at the same time, it's a moot point. Goalies aren't what are winning games for the Oil. Goal production is what is needed. With only 126 GoalsFor this year, so far, it could greatly improve the teams standing if they had 140+ like the top 4 teams in the West.

What's my point? I dunno, just wanted to channel Jdubs for a few seconds and throw some stats around. haha

Avatar
#41 Tankit4Tavares
January 20 2009, 11:25AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Like this post Greggor, and I totally agree on your views regarding the Captain. But I listened to the interview the other day with Garon and I don't feel that he compared himself, in terms of his ability, with Luongo, the Kipper or Turco. To me he was simply stating that when a goal tender is named number one, usually it is the club's and the goal tenders best interest to let him play through the low points in his game. In his case that was not allowed to happen.

AND, although Roloson ,of late, has really been on top of his game, there have been points in his time here that he has not been great and was given time to make adjustments. Until he came to Edmonton, Roloson had no proven track record that he could be a number 1 over a long period of time. So the argument that Garon had never proven himself, and thus his leash was shorter doesn't hold water. He really wasn't given a fair shake at the start and was not able to recover.

All that being said, clearly Roloson's numbers are better and he deserves to be between the pipes. I'm glad that the three headed monster is finally dead (no disrespect to Sabourin) and hope that Garon puts in some good preformances with the Pens. I still think he has all the tools to be a top 10 goaltender and can't help think what might have been... (a single bittersweet tear rolls down his cheek, and his man card is offically revoked)

Avatar
#42 Didsdave
January 20 2009, 11:27AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Travis Dakin:I retired in 2004

Avatar
#43 Cam
January 20 2009, 11:32AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

rindog wrote:

I do find it humorous that people support the Penner and Nilsson benchings, but are dead set against demoting or benching certain players when they aren’t pulling thier weight.

Penner and Nilsson were benched because they were being LAZY and that is NOT acceptable at this level. That is a far different situation than someone who is having timing issues or making errors. I will take errors over lazy every day of the week.

Avatar
#44 Travis Dakin
January 20 2009, 11:33AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Didsdave:

Dave M?

Avatar
#45 Jonathan Willis
January 20 2009, 11:38AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Jason Gregor:

Thanks, Jason. The thing I like about Potulny (over Nilsson, anyway) is that he brings a shoot-first mentality, which would seem to be a better fit on this team which lacks those kind of players.

I get what you're saying about Moreau too - we've all played the game and sometimes you get caught up in what's happening and do something that probably isn't great in hindsight. I've always had a problem with his penalties, but that's accurate too - it's just the way Moreau plays the game.

Avatar
#46 Jonathan Willis
January 20 2009, 11:41AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

misfit wrote:

In fact, I’d go as far as to say that sound positioning is more important than throwing bodychecks or being able to dangle.

It certainly gets you more opportunities at the NHL level - not just with MacTavish, but pretty much every coach.

I like certain parts of the Reddox/Pisani comparison, but Pisani's got a much better release; his overall offensive game suffers because of the role he plays but it's underrated (except for those guys who figured he'd score 30 after the 05-06 playoffs, of course).

Avatar
#47 Ender the Dragon
January 20 2009, 11:47AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Since79 wrote:

Reddox needs to go. The guy is a joke out there and gets laughed at by the opposition, seriously.

And your list of sources for this include . . .? Or have you just been in a lot of NHL dressing rooms and listened in on the banter?

Your statement is a joke, not Reddox.

Avatar
#48 rindog
January 20 2009, 11:56AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Jonathan Willis:

And yet Penner gets hammered for not hitting and is rarely out of positon????

Avatar
#49 APE
January 20 2009, 11:58AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

They are both a joke.

Avatar
#50 Since79
January 20 2009, 12:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Ender the Dragon wrote:

Since79 wrote: Reddox needs to go. The guy is a joke out there and gets laughed at by the opposition, seriously. And your list of sources for this include . . .? Or have you just been in a lot of NHL dressing rooms and listened in on the banter? Your statement is a joke, not Reddox.

Sitting behind the opposition's bench for starters, how about that? Plus I do have a press pass, I hear all kinds of things.

I've read your crap on here all the time MacT, I mean Ender... you're the joke around here.

Comments are closed for this article.