The return of ghost riding and hope

Wanye
January 21 2009 09:15AM

Screw "Private Eyes." Long-time Citizens of the Nation know that there is only one way to celebrate BIG milestones. By ghost riding the whip.

Back in the 07-08 stretch run we would ghost ride the whip all the live-long day all over the OilersNation. Times were good for awhile there. Buddies would leave messages on our cell phone after wins drunkenly yelling about "g-g-g-g-g-host rides." Rookies were scoring, Roli was smiling and we were cheering. Of course it ultimately ended in disaster -- but it wasn’t the biggest Oilers-related let down in the past four years now was it? Sigh.

This season’s Ghost Riding? Not so much. We have been witnessing mediocre hockey at best, which is particularly tough for Oilers fans to swallow in the midst of a cold dark winter when there is little else to do but scream for help -- even if the only shred of hope we could see on the horizon was Rob Schremp.

The ferocity with which Oilers fans phoned radio shows, commented on the Nation and beat down people wearing other NHL jerseys spoke to their dedication and frustration with the team. You don’t find this level of dedication in many other NHL markets. Ultimately that’s why some muffin players don’t want to play in Edmonton. Fans here get it and fans here care. And if the fans here decide you suck then you are going to hear about it. And if we collectively decide you are in the process of potentially turning the corner we consider ghost riding the whip.

And now it's time.

Now, we aren't ghost riding the whip because the Oil won 4-3 in what we hear was an awesome game last night. We aren't doing it because Hemsky is playing so well that Gregor has been moved to declare that we "might be witnessing the emergence of true superstar, and a player that will energize Rexall Place in ways it hasn’t seen in a long time." We aren't doing it because the Oil won five of six, because only 83 per cent of the Nation wants MacT fired now or because Obama was sworn in yesterday.

No we throw out the first ghost ride the whip of the 2008-09 season because hope has finally returned to the OilersNation. Sure, the bandwagon is still empty and the fire-MacT wagon is still full. But for the first time since GDB 9 some folk are considering making a move back to having some hope for the team again. And really that’s all the OilersNation wants.

Hope.

"We have been warned against giving people false hope. (But) there has never been anything false about hope." — Barack Obama

Word up, el Presedente.

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#1 R2D2
January 21 2009, 09:18AM

Wow.

I know what i'm watching over and over today. This video is so hilarious it made me post for the first time ever even though I read here every day.

THANKS WAYNE!!!

#2 Travis Dakin
January 21 2009, 09:20AM

Oh that felt Damn good.

#3 bingofuel
January 21 2009, 09:20AM

Goddamn, it's nice to be able to celebrate an Oilers win by watching some ghost riding. There's hope in the Nation once more!

#4 Wanye Gretz
January 21 2009, 09:21AM

Travis Dakin wrote:

Oh that felt Damn good.

Youtube removed it for some sort of violation. I had to find it on some shady video sharing site. I almost fainted when I thought we couldn't ghost ride for a second.

That Obama video is righteous too.

#5 Travis Dakin
January 21 2009, 09:22AM

@ Wanye Gretz: I tried to find it from some of the old posts last year. Stupid you tube. Thanks for finding it. God that makes me feel good again.

#6 Wanye Gretz
January 21 2009, 09:25AM

Travis Dakin wrote:

Hey don't thank me - thank our boy Ales. He is the one that started the revolution again.

#7 Travis Dakin
January 21 2009, 09:44AM

Viva La Revolución!

#8 Travis Dakin
January 21 2009, 09:48AM

Wanye Gretz wrote:

That Obama video is righteous too.

Am I supposed to know all these people in the video?

#9 King of Cars
January 21 2009, 10:03AM

I got goosebumps reading the nation this morning. The return of ghost riding and hope reminded me oof the Return of the Jedi with Hemsky playing Luke Skywalker bringing hope to the rebellion!

#10 Travis Dakin
January 21 2009, 10:10AM

King of Cars wrote:

That movie ended with a bunch of people partying around a fire. Hey that sounds familiar...

#11 chrisinbanff
January 21 2009, 10:20AM

Hey Wanye, there's a new banner on the main page of the ON proclaiming that war begins on Feb. 1. What's that all about?

#12 Jeremy
January 21 2009, 10:33AM

@ chrisinbanff: My guess is it is an ad for a video game. Most likely Halo Wars, as that is around the release date.

#13 Jason Gregor
January 21 2009, 10:37AM

Jeremy wrote:

Let me tell you it will be more intense than a video game for most of you. It will be personal and should be great. I look forward to it.

And if you like videos check out this classic...Props to those who can name all four guys..

#14 The Towel Boy
January 21 2009, 10:38AM

It's a good day in the nation. Dogs aren't being kicked. Babies are being made. TV remotes aren't being thrown. Beer isn't being consumed in anger, but rather joy. Thank you Ales Hemsky. Thank You.

#15 Travis Dakin
January 21 2009, 10:44AM

Jason Gregor wrote:

And if you like videos check out this classic…Props to those who can name all four guys.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNjntNHHUs0

What the hell did I just see?

#16 Chris
January 21 2009, 10:44AM

There is hope in the nation. It's nice that we can enjoy being in a playoff position for a whole week; thanks to the break. I'm also glad that I gave up all hope and ranted to anyone who would listen about how the Oilers sucked and were going to miss the playoffs extra early this year... They always turn things around when I do that. Thankfully, this time, I broke when there was still time to turn things around and post a respectable regular season... Don't break me again!

#17 Wanye Gretz
January 21 2009, 10:48AM

@ Jeremy: @ chrisinbanff:

Gee whiz. How did that get there? I have no idea what that could be about. It's not a third party ad though, it's definitely something Nation related.

*builds buzz to deafening roar on the internets*

#18 Travis Dakin
January 21 2009, 10:53AM

Wanye Gretz wrote:

@ Jeremy: @ chrisinbanff: Gee whiz. How did that get there? I have no idea what that could be about. It’s not a third party ad though, it’s definitely something Nation related. *builds buzz to deafening roar on the internets*

Oh you are all kinds of a jack-ass

#19 Ender the Dragon
January 21 2009, 10:55AM

Wanye Gretz wrote:

it’s definitely something Nation related

I was wondering. None of my web searches were turning up anything.

Methinks it has something to do with the second-half hockey pool, eh . . . .?

#20 The Ghost of Dany Sabourin
January 21 2009, 11:03AM

#21 RLH
January 21 2009, 11:12AM

@ Wanye Gretz: If it's not a new blog opening up about shoes, movies, and shopping I'm going to be seriously disappointed...Seriously.

#22 freeze
January 21 2009, 11:17AM

Hemsky for President!

#23 Ender the Dragon
January 21 2009, 11:23AM

For thosw who couldn't get the Youtube clip to play and wanted to revisit the horror that was the 70's, here's an alternate site for the Rangers clip Gregor referred to:

warning: not for the faint-of-heart

#24 Chris R
January 21 2009, 11:26AM

Anyone else notice we're in Canada? The hard on for American politics is retarded since most of you probably didn't vote in our election.

Lame.

#25 Craigsworth
January 21 2009, 11:33AM

@ Chris R: because nothing that happens south of the border has an impact on Canadian policies, right?

#26 Chris R
January 21 2009, 11:36AM

@ Craigsworth:

I never said that. People in Canada seem to pay more attention to what happens in the states than what happened in our own federal election. Chances are if you actually read something that you would see that Obama's foreign policy hopes to utilize tariffs limit the reliance on certain foreign products. The result of which will be a negative impact on many Canadian industries.

But hey, that must be a good thing right?

#27 Craigsworth
January 21 2009, 11:40AM

@ Chris R:

What happened in our own federal election? Same-old: minority government again. Big deal.

And if some of Obama's policies force new innovations and economic diversification here, particularly in Alberta where everyone loves oil and its fabulous byproducts, then short-term pain == long-term gain.

It's not like any massive change is going to just happen here because Harper has a sudden attack of conscience or the Liberals stop behaving like a bunch of entitled, sniveling babies.

#28 Chris R
January 21 2009, 11:44AM

Craigsworth wrote:

And if some of Obama’s policies force new innovations and economic diversification here, particularly in Alberta where everyone loves oil and its fabulous byproducts, then short-term pain == long-term gain.

That is the key sentence right there. A foreign President's policies will force our country to change how we do things to satisfy their needs. There lies the problem.

The way to bring a country out of a recession to place more dependancy on domestic goods which will in turn hurt countries like Canada that rely strong on the U.S. for trade.

It's great that they have a new President that seems to have a plan, but I would rather think about where I live first. I know he will be doing the same for himself.

#29 chrisinbanff
January 21 2009, 11:54AM

@ Chris R: Way to kill the mood!

#30 Chris R
January 21 2009, 11:58AM

@ chrisinbanff:

Not my fault a bunch of Canadians are excited about a guy that will help the United States' economy but ultimately hurt our own in the process.

#31 BUCK75
January 21 2009, 12:06PM

The Ghost of Dany Sabourin wrote:

Ron Dugay (sp)

HAHA Ron Greschner - I used to date a girl form Goodsoil Sask - home of Greschner, the sign in the shithole village said. The creepiest thing about Goodsoil was the 50' skinny log man downtown. The best thing was the Goodsoil Hotel...

#32 Mike
January 21 2009, 12:07PM

When did OilersNation turn into a political dicussion forum?

#33 442Junkie
January 21 2009, 12:07PM

@ Chris R: Holy cow who invited Buzz Killington!?!?!?!

#34 chrisinbanff
January 21 2009, 12:09PM

Chris R wrote:

@ chrisinbanff: Not my fault a bunch of Canadians are excited about a guy that will help the United States’ economy but ultimately hurt our own in the process.

That's cool and all, just go talk about it somewhere else.

#35 BUCK75
January 21 2009, 12:10PM

The Ghost of Dany Sabourin wrote:

Ron Dugay (sp) - not Greschner

#36 BUCK75
January 21 2009, 12:11PM

@ BUCK75:

Haha I forgot that I had some obscenity freedom on here so I had to redo the post...

#37 Amber
January 21 2009, 12:58PM

RLH wrote:

@ Wanye Gretz: If it’s not a new blog opening up about shoes, movies, and shopping I’m going to be seriously disappointed…Seriously.

YAY shoes!!! YAY movies!!!

#38 Jason Gregor
January 21 2009, 01:15PM

The Ghost of Dany Sabourin wrote:

Close, but the Captain was Dave Maloney and the others are Esposito, Anders Hedberg and Rob Duguay. Actually I am having Maloney on the show today to talk Rangers, but I have to bring up the commercial now for sure.

#39 Ssseth
January 21 2009, 01:27PM

Hope is a wonderful thing.

#40 RBK
January 21 2009, 01:31PM

@ 442Junkie: @ chrisinbanff: @ Mike:

This was supposed to be a post about Ghost riding the whip and being happy.

Buzz Killerington indeed!

#41 Adam Dyck
January 21 2009, 01:46PM

Anyone see the latest over at BoA? Matt's thinking Hemmer will be better than Iginla next year.

#42 The Ghost of Dany Sabourin
January 21 2009, 02:34PM

BUCK75 wrote:

The Ghost of Dany Sabourin wrote: @ Jason Gregor: Don Maloney, Phil Esposito, Ron Greschner and (I think) Anders Hedberg. Now to go flush out my brain with beer to remove any traces of the horror that was the sassoon commercial. Ron Dugay (sp) - not Greschner HAHA Ron Greschner - I used to date a girl form Goodsoil Sask - home of Greschner said the sign in the sh*thole village. The creepiest thing about Goodsoil was the 50? skinny log man downtown. The best thing was the Goodsoil Hotel…

Unbelievably, against all reason and sanity, there appears to have been a part II: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=FYtWlmaKsww&feature=related Espo, what the hell were you thinking? I'm hoping he got paid a LOT for this ...

#43 Wanye Gretz
January 21 2009, 03:26PM

RLH wrote:

Oh man I hear that. Imagine a blog about wearing shoes while shopping for movies?

DAMN