Happy Gretzmas!

Wanye
January 26 2009 11:08AM

Every Nation has it's official Holidays -- and our boy Charlie and his crew in Lethbridge have the honour of coining the very first National Holiday in the OilersNation.

Gretzmas.

For those of you who don't know their heads from their elbows, Gretzmas is the celebration of the most holy day: The Birth of Wayne Douglas Gretzky on January 21, 1961 in Brantford, Ontario. While the rest of us allow this sacred day to pass unobserved Charle and "the crew in Lethbridge are gonna get bombed, play hockey, and exchange Gretzky related gifts afterwards. Last year I got "Hockey My Way" starring Wayne & Brent Gretzky with Defensive drills by Kevin Lowe, circa 1984" -- via e-mail from Charlie.

These are some real fans down there in Lethbridge, Nation. This is an annual event and it has gotten big enough that they are renting ice this year as opposed to playing 'er on the pond. We heartily encourage everyone in the OilersNation to take the remainder of the day off, find something Gretzky-related and toast it repeatedly using whatever booze at your disposal.

Here are pics from last year's Gretzmas that Charlie was kind enough to send our way. The crew in Lethbridge is in our hearts on this wondrous day and we violently salute you.

Merry Gretzmas all.

Peep all them Gretzky Jerseys. Mmmm.

Probably one of the best pictures we have ever been sent.

*insert inappropriate sexual comment here*

Dig those Oilers sweats. These are real fans, Nation.

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#1 BUCK75
January 26 2009, 11:27AM

Haha - Why is that dude wearing pink gloves? Mind you after slamming back a few ounce of fireball I might wear pink gloves too.

#2 r59
January 26 2009, 11:34AM

Fantastic. Just fantastic.

GRETZMAS!!!

#3 Milli
January 26 2009, 11:34AM

nice....maybe a little less clothing this year??????

#4 Dropping Deuces
January 26 2009, 11:35AM

*insert inappropriate sexual comment here*

I'm amazed those two dudes can stand sideways in sweatpants considering what is going on a few feet away!

#5 The Towel Boy
January 26 2009, 11:48AM

Wow, best fans ever!

I've always maintained that Lethbridgadonianites are a classy bunch. Now I know it.

WTF are the dudes in the background of the two chicks wrestling looking at? Must be another set of chicks wrestling off camera.

#6 BUCK75
January 26 2009, 12:00PM

The Towel Boy wrote:

Wow, best fans ever! I’ve always maintained that Lethbridgadonianites are a classy bunch. Now I know it.

Great town - I haven't been there in like 10 years, but there was a liquor store in town that you could pay with Canadian Tire Money.

Greatest idea ever!

#7 Charlie
January 26 2009, 12:03PM

Nice! Happy Gretzmas Nation!!

#8 Dennis Castro
January 26 2009, 12:18PM

As a fellow Oiler fan from the south who rocked it in the 'bridge for a time, its good to see that Oil pride is still alive and well. Keep up the good work and stay classy! Happy Gretzmas!!

#9 Travis Dakin
January 26 2009, 12:21PM

Just one slight typo but Merry Gretzmas anyway!

#10 MJ
January 26 2009, 12:25PM

Travis Dakin wrote:

#11 Travis Dakin
January 26 2009, 12:31PM

@ MJ: That kind of information should be locked in to your memory! Gretzkys vitals and stats are more important to memorize than the alphabet. That's how we roll in the Nation.

#12 The Towel Boy
January 26 2009, 01:05PM

Travis Dakin wrote:

Gretzkys vitals and stats are more important to memorize than the alphabet. That’s how we roll in the Nation.

I prey nightly to a Mcfarlane toys lifelike figurine of the Great One.

"Oh sweet great and powerful one of flowing locks of golden feathered hair. I ask that you provide me with the strength, courage and fortitude to complete sweet passes and launch perfect slapshots top bunk off the wing. I also ask you provide me with cunning moves of trickery and dangleness when one on one with all that oppose me. Thank you oh Great One."

#13 The Towel Boy
January 26 2009, 01:09PM

...lol...prey?...ahem...It's about that edit button.

#14 Travis Dakin
January 26 2009, 01:19PM

@ The Towel Boy:

I sh*t you not... The Gretzky McFarlane is what adorns the top of my tree at christmas.

#15 Chris
January 26 2009, 01:53PM

Grew up in Lethbridge... blamed the constant wind on Calgary for sucking so bad.

#16 Wanye Gretz
January 26 2009, 02:12PM

MJ wrote:

Travis Dakin wrote: @ Wanye Gretz: he Birth of Wayne Douglas Gretzky on January 21, 1961 in Brantford, Ontario. Just one slight typo but Merry Gretzmas anyway! I actually had to look it up in hockeydb.com myself. I was thinking, why is Wanye 5 days late! I figured it may have something to do with the Moose Jaw hangover in the prior post.

Ah crap. Quite right. I think I got the 21 and the 61 fomr "1961" mixed up. And yes, the hangover has a lot to do with it. Plus I write most of my articles on my blackberry while pretending to do other things.

Fact checking ain't my strong suit.

#17 Klima85
January 26 2009, 02:14PM

Ha ha. Wedge is that the closest you've been to a real fight? all you do is beak and beak.

#18 Sean
January 26 2009, 02:35PM

Hear I thought Gretzmas would be Wanye giving away Nation gear all day ;)

#19 Charlie
January 26 2009, 03:41PM

@ Klima85:

I just texted Wedge... I think you're gonna feel the wrath... hahaha

#20 Wedge
January 26 2009, 03:49PM

Klima85 wrote:

Ha ha. Wedge is that the closest you’ve been to a real fight? all you do is beak and beak.

Who the @$*% is klima85? if your gonna beak use a real name hahahaha

#21 Captain OBVIOU5
January 26 2009, 06:06PM

Bravo Charlie... Bravo!!!

#22 Charlie
January 26 2009, 09:15PM

Well, another Gretzmas in the books... next year we're doing it in Brantford. Cheers Nation!!

#23 Klima85
January 27 2009, 08:29AM

@ Wedge: Cool your jets Wedge. I dont want you slashing me in the alces. It's Ty from team canadian Tire.

See ya @ beer pong in march

#24 Klima85
January 27 2009, 08:29AM

I mean Laces. need an edit button.

#25 wedge
January 27 2009, 09:57AM

you would ty you would.....

#26 ScottyMcGregor
January 27 2009, 12:32PM

Thanks guys, for putting Lethbridge on the map!!

#27 Charlie
January 27 2009, 01:08PM

Scott Mcgregor? From Rock 106? Play more Black Betty!!! At least three times a day should be fine. Love, the crew from Maddhatters.