Call me unimpressed

Robin Brownlee
January 06 2009 07:53AM

I laughed out loud when Sportsnet play-by-play man Kevin Quinn tipped us off during the third period of the Edmonton Oilers life-and-death struggle with the New York Islanders that "It doesn't get any easier on this homestand."

No, Kevin, it doesn't get any easier -- the Islanders are the laughing stocks of the NHL. They arrived at Rexall Place Monday having lost 12 straight games on the road and sitting dead-last in NHL overall standings.

Then, they lost captain and leading scorer Doug Weight during the morning skate. So, no, it really doesn't get any easier. Of course, that's not exactly what Quinn meant.

So how is it that the Oilers, who already gassed two points in losses to the hopeless Florida Panthers and inept Ottawa Senators, needed fluke goals by Kyle Brodziak and Jason Strudwick in the second period on the way to a 3-2 win to avoid making it three times they've soiled the sheets?

Because this is a team, regardless of post-game spin, that has no clue about the intensity and fortitude needed to be a consistent winner and a legitimate playoff contender in the Western Conference.

That's how.

Hero act

"They played as good as anybody against us," coach Craig MacTavish said after his team pulled a fast one. "Especially early. They put a lot of pressure on us and we didn't handle the pressure very well."

You'd think after blowing off those games against the Panthers and sad-sack Senators, who also came to town with 12 straight road losses before beating the Oilers 3-2 Dec. 30, MacT's men would have been motivated to come out like a house on fire against the Islanders.

But, down 2-0, they were in danger of falling back to .500 at home until they got lucky -- Brodziak banked a puck off Brendan Witt's skate behind Joey MacDonald and Strudwick made it 2-2 when Zack Stortini's pass bounced in off his skate.

Good for the fourth-liners, who've carried more than their fair share of the workload in recent games, but getting outplayed early before winning it on Andrew Cogliano's 12th goal of the season is inexcusable.

The Oilers talked the talk in the morning, but they damn sure didn't walk the walk when the puck dropped.

Not good enough

Serve up the same mistake-filled slop against the Vancouver Canucks Wednesday or the San Jose Sharks Friday and the 19-16-3 Oilers will be back under .500 at home.

Hell, try that against anybody but the feeble Islanders and it's a loss. Playing down to the level of inferior competition as the Oilers too often do is not the sign of a team ready to contend.

"We collected ourselves after the first period and played a pretty workmanlike second and third," offered MacTavish.

"We had a line that was playing a real simple game that got a lot done tonight. That's a good lesson for everybody. It doesn't have to be pretty all the time."

This is not a good team. Tell yourself otherwise if you must, but be prepared to be disappointed.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
A sports writer since 1983, including stints at The Edmonton Journal and The Sun 1989-2007, I happily co-host the Jason Gregor Show on TSN 1260 twice a week and write when so inclined. Have the best damn lawn on the internet. Most important, I am Sam's dad. Follow me on Twitter at Robin_Brownlee. Or don't.
Avatar
#51 RobinB
January 06 2009, 01:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

raged wrote:

Then why did you predict them to not make the playoffs if you had expectations higher than where they are now, tied for 8th?

Nice try. I have expectations of better, as in being satisfied with a team that has made no sustained progress in terms of results under the new CBA. I picked them ninth because that's where I thought they would finish. I expect better with the new "level playing field," but that doesn't mean I think they'll deliver with the team as it stands now. Big difference.

Avatar
#52 baggedmilk
January 06 2009, 01:34PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ Chris:

So deflecting the pass off the defenceman's skate and then another one banking in off a shin pad was completely intentional by your logic?

There's nothing wrong with that line crashing the net, it's what they're supposed to do. They produced two LUCKY bounces through hard work, I'm not denying that.

If you think for one second that the Oilers played well enough to win that game without lady luck you too can pass me the pipe you're smoking.

Avatar
#53 rindog
January 06 2009, 01:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ RobinB:

Is there any truth to the rumor that Pronger didn't like MacT when he signed here (from their playing days) and was told (by Lowe) that MacT would be gone at the end of the season?

Then the cup run forced Lowe to resign Mact, etc, etc....

I have my doubts - but was just curious???

Avatar
#54 Chris
January 06 2009, 01:51PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ baggedmilk: Sorry. Disagree. Luck is when you connect on a cross seam saucer pass for a tap in goal. This is a lucky play because it almost never works... and when this rare and beautiful occurance happens; we celebrate how "skillful" the player is and discount the luck element. Yet when we score on a higher percentage play; like throwing the puck out front from behind the net to an attacking forward you just call it "lucky". You must be suffering from the disease Oieritis that is affecting much of our forward core. Dirty goals count. They are not lucky. They are earned.

Avatar
#55 Rev
January 06 2009, 01:55PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ Ender the Dragon:

I know I am way behind the posts here (geez - 40 posts in the morning?) but thought Ender hit it. I had a very difficult time switching from the juniors to the Oilers last night. Very difficult - no passion or energy.

In the last 3 seasons Edmonton has only outshot the competition in 05/06 (347 more shots for than against). Since we have been outshot by 246 in 06/07, 381 in 07/08 and we are on par to be outshot by about 250 this year.

All talk and no action - where is the PROOF they are trying to be better - we have learned to accept 'acceptable'. To measure that win against the Islanders as a success is embarrassing.

Avatar
#56 RobinB
January 06 2009, 01:56PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ rindog: No truth.

Avatar
#57 RobinB
January 06 2009, 01:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ Rev: That's dribble. What a crappy attitude.

Avatar
#58 raged
January 06 2009, 02:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Robin- Speaking of nice tries... Perhaps its my reading comp, but that reads a bit like one of deep oils posts, or mine for that matter. You predicted them 9th in september, the wonderful level playing field brought about by the cba is three years old, assuming you havent gone amnesiac on us, how are the two related? This is a useless argument, I see your point with the effort and consistency for sure, just dont think it needs to be made after a win, even against the islanders.

Avatar
#59 baggedmilk
January 06 2009, 02:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ Chris:

You're definitely right, when Hemsky cross seam passes to Horcoff for the open net PP goal it's all luck. No skill involved there.

Avatar
#60 rindog
January 06 2009, 02:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ RobinB:

The only reason I asked was because there seems to be a lot of negativity towards Lowe in this blog. From what I can see - Lowe has done a remarkable job of atleast trying to give us a chance to be a good team.

When we lost Pronger - he got Souray. We lost Smytty - he got Penner. He tried to get Nylander, Vanek, Kariya, Jagr, Hossa (maybe others).

My only real knock against Lowe is the fact that he kept the same coach for so long. I don't care if it is MacTavish or Bowman - 8+ years is far too long for a head coach with the same team.

Lowe should recognize that even if MacT is highly regarded around the league - his shlef life is long past due here in Edmonton.

Avatar
#61 RobinB
January 06 2009, 02:11PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

raged wrote:

Robin- Speaking of nice tries… Perhaps its my reading comp, but that reads a bit like one of deep oils posts, or mine for that matter. You predicted them 9th in september, the wonderful level playing field brought about by the cba is three years old, assuming you havent gone amnesiac on us, how are the two related? This is a useless argument, I see your point with the effort and consistency for sure, just dont think it needs to be made after a win, even against the islanders.

It's your reading comprehension.

rindog wrote:

Lowe should recognize that even if MacT is highly regarded around the league - his shlef life is long past due here in Edmonton.

How so? If you have issues with MacTavish as a coach because of his style and philosophy, that's one thing. The shelf life argument -- as in being tuned out because he's been around too long -- doesn't hold as much water. Look at the turnover. How many players are left from the 2006 Cup Final team? I count Roloson, Staios, Moreau, Hemsky, Pouliot and Pisani.

Avatar
#62 baggedmilk
January 06 2009, 02:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

RobinB wrote:

How many players are left from the 2006 Cup Final team? I count Roloson, Staios, Moreau, Hemsky, Pouliot and Pisani.

Come on Brownlee. You have to use Pouliot loosely as an example of players that were on that team.

You're forgetting Horcoff though. <3

Avatar
#63 Chris
January 06 2009, 02:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ baggedmilk: Man we are arguing on two seperate threads simultaneously. I think I'm fighting an indefencable position regarding Jr hockey... but this; not so much.

baggedmilk wrote:

You’re definitely right, when Hemsky cross seam passes to Horcoff for the open net PP goal it’s all luck. No skill involved there

Our "lucky" goals last night occured 5 on 5. It must have been "unlucky" that Nilsson's repeated cross seam passes into coverage resulted in no scoring chances because we are told he is a high skill player. When Souray blasts one in off a defender it is skill not "luck". When the Oilers fail to keep the crease clear and the opposition scores off a skate it is "unlucky"....

I'm merely downplaying the importance of "luck" in a hockey game. It's overblown. Pucks are thrown at the net. Sometimes they are deflected in, sometimes they are deflected wide, sometimes they arrive screened, and so on. When a line can deliver the puck to the front of the net, or on net, they will score 5-10 percent of the time. This is about the law of averages not some notion of "Hockey God" interference, or fate, or luck. If goals like the fourth line generated last night rarely occured I would concede that they were lucky... but those kind of goals are not rare...I have seen enough of them scored on us the last number of years.

Avatar
#64 RobinB
January 06 2009, 02:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ baggedmilk: Yes, I did forget Horcoff. But even if you don't want to count Pouliot, who got nixed by mono going into the playoffs after eight regular season games, that doesn't alter my point.

Sub in Horcoff for Pouliot and that still makes just six players left from 2006. It's not like the majority of players here have been listening to MacT forever and are simply tired of the message.

Avatar
#65 Cam
January 06 2009, 02:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I don't think anyone on this list will be happy until the Oilers go 82-0 for the season. I cannot believe the amount of bitching after a win. Winning five of the last seven no less... and still there is a lot of moaning. What is this - a Lemas class?

I was at the game. It was ugly. The Oil were a disorganized mess through the first fifteen minutes. After that they righted the ship and managed to be fairly good, if not great. There were chances and lucky and unlucky bounces at both ends of the rink. to listen to you lot carry on you would think they were figure skating for most of the game.

Our best centreman was playing with a bum back. He took faceoffs mostly and when he played he wasn't overly effective. He gave the Islanders their first goal. He should have had an assist on that perfect feed... Ugh. Compile that with Hemsky being out and the Islanders being plenty hungry and sick of losing and you have a closer affair than many would have liked to see.

It was a case of who sucked the least, but you would have thought that the sky was falling the way you whiners are carrying on. Half way through the season they are in playoff position with a number of games in hand.

Don't get me wrong, I want another dynasty too, but barring that I will settle for better than half the league, which is where they are now.

Avatar
#66 baggedmilk
January 06 2009, 02:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ Chris:

It is never a bad play to throw the puck on the net. Lord knows it's probably the last thing that the Oilers know how to do this year. You can't count on those though, if it had not been for two banked passes for the 4th line we'd all be livid about a loss to the Islanders. The effort, as a whole was not there last night. It was absolute luck that those went in last night, but it was driven by hard work. Either that or we'd see those 3 yahoos on the PP. Although I'm sure MacT would like that idea.

As for Nilsson, that guy plays about as soft as an elderly man's flacid love rocket. The defenssemen know that he is going to pass because he's too big of a pansy to get in the tough areas of the ice.

Saying Souray hitting the net is skill is off too. If the guy hit the net a third of the times he wound up I'd by psyched and the maintenance team could spend less time repairing the boards.

Avatar
#67 RobinB
January 06 2009, 02:30PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Cam wrote:

Don’t get me wrong, I want another dynasty too, but barring that I will settle for better than half the league, which is where they are now.

Can we see if this team makes the playoffs for the first time in three years before using the D-word?

Avatar
#68 baggedmilk
January 06 2009, 02:32PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ Cam:

With a team spending this close to the cap it is completely understandable that fans expect a better effort than last night. Play that way against a team like Detroit, or San Jose and they're dead in the water.

I was thrilled at how the Oilers played against Dallas, that was a complete game and they came out ready to play. Last night the effort was piss poor and they're lucky to have a win on the score sheet.

Lose that game last night and they're 1 game over .500. I don't know about everyone else but I'm tired of watching mediocrity. ESPECIALLY with expectations as high as they were coming into this season.

Avatar
#69 shakey
January 06 2009, 02:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

So by some of these responses I get that we should just be happy with the 2 points and we're not allowed to jump on them because they won. Does this mean that we aren't allowed to praise them in a game that they actually worked hard in but lost? Some of us have watched this team for a long time and just because we should be used to the inconsistancy and lack of effort doesn't mean we should just accept it and 'support our boys no matter what'. When you start every 3rd or 4th game like you just woke up from a nap...you have problems. When your 4th line is your best line...you have problems. When Liam Reddox is your default option to fill in on the 1st line...you have problems. This team has problems and a win against NYI doesn't change that.

Avatar
#70 blade
January 06 2009, 02:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

RobinB wrote:

@ Rev: That’s dribble. What a crappy attitude.

http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/dribble

I thought a man "with 25 years as a hockey writer and columnist on his resume" would own a thesaurus or at least know how to use one.

Avatar
#71 Rev
January 06 2009, 02:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ baggedmilk:

I am fine with mixed scores and a record of .500 (hell even less) if everyone can skate off of the ice with a solid contribution. They can't do that now - which explains a certain amount of frustration.

Avatar
#72 baggedmilk
January 06 2009, 02:47PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ shakey:

Sometimes I would be a lot more satisfied if they came out with their asses set ablaze and lost rather than a gross win like last night. If the Oilers go out there and leave everything on the ice and lose then I would be happy they competed. Prime example, when they lost to Colorado this year only because Boo-Dye stole the show.

Last night they didn't compete and were lucky to be rewarded.

Avatar
#73 Chris
January 06 2009, 02:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ baggedmilk:

Chris wrote:

Our “lucky” goals last night occured 5 on 5. It must have been “unlucky” that Nilsson’s repeated cross seam passes into coverage resulted in no scoring chances because we are told he is a high skill player. When Souray blasts one in off a defender it is skill not “luck”. When the Oilers fail to keep the crease clear and the opposition scores off a skate it is “unlucky”….

This entire paragraph was ment to be phecisious.

Avatar
#74 me
January 06 2009, 02:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

It's an interesting argument and I see both sides.

But do we make excuses for other teams when they get "lucky" bounces to get wins against the Oilers?

Are would we argue that they earned those breaks. The first goal was a result of the fourth line outplaying and outhustling the opposition on that shift. They earned that goal and the second one because of their hard work and grit. Something that has been a weakness all season, so when we finally get it we call it a fluke? Sorry I have trouble with that reasoning.

The Islanders have lost how many one goal games this season? It is not an uncommon occurrence.

Are they really underacheiving? I picked them to finish six and they are now two points back with two games in hand.

Why did I pick them to finish 6th? I expected growing pains, I expected mistakes, I expected the young kids on this team to struggle. This is exactly what is happening. I also expected some players to play well and that the Oilers would be able to overcome it and make the playoffs. I still expect that to be the case but the Oilers are really underacheving. They are about where I expected them to be. Now the other side of the coin.

That being said this teams needs to learn from their mistakes, learn from their inconsistency and learn to put 60 minutes together.

I haven't seen enough consistent effort from the veterans on the team to compensate for the projected growing pains and inconsistency of those players. Some of the veterans have been as inconsistent as the kids.

I have not seen management address the PK problems, the faceoff problems? The lack of grit?

This team is where I expected them to be but this team can get better and needs to address their problems.

Avatar
#75 Cam
January 06 2009, 03:05PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

RobinB wrote:

Can we see if this team makes the playoffs for the first time in three years before using the D-word?

You have a point, there. I used that word only because it seems people have dynastic expectations.

Last night's game wasn't wasn't impressive like the way they handled Nashville or Phoenix, but they weren't lucky to survive it like they were against the SanJose game either.

It was a chippy slow blue collar January game between two teams who are short their best players. I expected a win and I didn't expect it to be pretty. They got the result; they didn't talk about how good they were after the game. They know they have to be better. Good; enough said. Bring on Vancouver.

Avatar
#76 Chris
January 06 2009, 03:09PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

baggedmilk wrote:

If it wasn’t for two lucky bounces last night the Oilers would have lost 2-1.

Should read, "If it wasn't for the great effort of the fourth line last night the Oilers would have lost 2-1."

We are negative enough on this site without denigrating the efforts of the few character players we have.

Avatar
#77 swany
January 06 2009, 03:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

This team after all the personal turn over is 9-5-1 since Dec Cole is starting to go as is Gagner. We have games in hand on Van and the Ducks. 6 points behind Van with 3 games and 4 points behind the Ducks with 2 games in hand, so does that mean all these teams aren't as good as though? If we win our games in hand and pass the Ducks and Vancity will there be a blog stating we are BETTER than thought? Look around the NHL teams with way more talent are struggling, Pitty is only 1 piont better than us and we have a game on them, last time I checked there is know Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Sykora ect on our team. Maybe just Maybe Mact is getting more out of this team than some people are giving credit for. The Ducks should be way better than us by all of the bloggers who want Mact's head yet they have the identical record as us (if we win our games in hand) so some perspective here Robin maybe this Games was bad but what about the Dallas game. If they come out that flat for Vancity I will agree 100% but if they come out and play like they did against Dallas I will chalk this game up to looking past them to Van.

Avatar
#78 topshelf
January 06 2009, 03:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Penner was awful last night and Horcoff looks lost out there without Hemsky. I was at the game and I think I dozed off a few times. Brutal hockey and I'm glad my tickets were free.

Avatar
#79 me
January 06 2009, 03:15PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Cam wrote:

RobinB wrote: Can we see if this team makes the playoffs for the first time in three years before using the D-word? You have a point, there. I used that word only because it seems people have dynastic expectations. Last night’s game wasn’t wasn’t impressive like the way they handled Nashville or Phoenix, but they weren’t lucky to survive it like they were against the SanJose game either. It was a chippy slow blue collar January game between two teams who are short their best players. I expected a win and I didn’t expect it to be pretty. They got the result; they didn’t talk about how good they were after the game. They know they have to be better. Good; enough said. Bring on Vancouver.

Any one that reasonably expected this team to be a contender was really not having reasonable expectations.

Predicting how the Oilers will play from game to game is like picking which 6 numbers will appear in the lottery.

Who in the hell knows. That is the only accurate prediction I will make about this team is that is is completely unpredictable.

Avatar
#80 Deans
January 06 2009, 03:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Something has been bugging me about the Oilers this season and it has nothing to do with inconsistency or coaching. Whats bugging me about the Oilers is well.. frankly YOU. I'm not trying to be confrontational but I honestly think Oiler fans are not as loud and intense as in seasons past. The place is reminding me of the library they played in during the mid 90s. I would love to know hat does OilersNation thinks? Have Oilers fans lost there standing as one of the leauges best?

Blade your an assclown. FYI-You can look that one up in your thesaurus but chances are you wont find it.

Avatar
#81 Chris
January 06 2009, 03:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

The key to winning is clear: We beat Calgary after MacIntyre smeared Boyd. We beat Dallad after Penner powerslammed Wilson. We beat the Islanders thanks to the gritty efforts of the fourth line. It's clear that our "skill" players are about as reliable as a K-car in a snowstorm... the key is to get more hustle out of the muscle.

Avatar
#82 me
January 06 2009, 03:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Deans wrote:

Something has been bugging me about the Oilers this season and it has nothing to do with inconsistency or coaching. Whats bugging me about the Oilers is well.. frankly YOU. I’m not trying to be confrontational but I honestly think Oiler fans are not as loud and intense as in seasons past. The place is reminding me of the library they played in during the mid 90s. I would love to know hat does OilersNation thinks? Have Oilers fans lost there standing as one of the leauges best? Blade your an assclown. FYI-You can look that one up in your thesaurus but chances are you wont find it.

I agree the fans haven't been as enthusiastic as seasons past but I think a lot of the reason can be seen is this thread.

1. High and perhaps unreasonable expecations, tied in with that.

2. The Oilers have not been great at home and have underperformed on home ice.

3. The fans are sick and tired of mediocrity and rightfully so.

In years past there was almost a mantra or a feeling of cheering for the underdog because we could not afford to pay the Doug Weight's of the world. Now we expect more and are still hovering around the 8th place spot and fighting for our playoff lives. Fans want more, expect more and I don't think there is anything wrong with that even if I think the expectations are too high at this point!

Avatar
#83 Cam
January 06 2009, 03:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ me: They are consistently inconsistent. They are good enough some nights to give me hope and bad enough some nights to make me want to vomit.

Any team that is good enough to make the playoffs is good enough to put a run together. Who knows which team will be hoisting our Great Lord Stanley in the Spring, I just want to make sure the Oil have a crack at it.

Hope is a double edged sword though. It cuts deep at times (like the season after the cup run 2007)

Avatar
#84 Deans
January 06 2009, 03:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Great point about how having higher expectations can diminish fan enthausasm. I dont think fans are content with 7th or 8th as they were during Weight/Smyth era. During the late 90s/early 00s I was never too upset after an Oiler loss b/c frankly the team was operating on a shoestring budget. Now Im a little more dejected after an Oiler loss.

Avatar
#85 rindog
January 06 2009, 03:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ RobinB:

Except when Hemsky, Horcoff, Moreau, Pisani & Staios are our leaders.

I have many, many more reasons (other than the shelf life comment), but I won't bring them up now.

The fact is - the players that our young guys all look up to (our leaders) have really only had one NHL coach (except Moreau & Souray). They only know HIS way.

It's one thing if HIS way has been proven successful and delivers results. It's another thing if it doesn't/hasn't.

To top things off - our coaching staff is also very inexperienced when it comes to working with different systems/styles at the NHL level.

I have always agreed with with the theory that "if it ain't broke - don't fix it"...

My question is.....

What do you do if it is broke???

Avatar
#86 me
January 06 2009, 03:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Cam wrote:

@ me: They are consistently inconsistent. They are good enough some nights to give me hope and bad enough some nights to make me want to vomit. Any team that is good enough to make the playoffs is good enough to put a run together. Who knows which team will be hoisting our Great Lord Stanley in the Spring, I just want to make sure the Oil have a crack at it. Hope is a double edged sword though. It cuts deep at times (like the season after the cup run 2007)

Yep.

One game you think they are turning the corner and the next game they appear to take two giant step backwards.

There are some positives though.

1. The fourth line. There have not been many games in the last while that they haven't outplayed the line against them. Scoring two goals is not going to happen on most nights but the hard work and determination they have showed is not fluke or luck.

2. Eric Cole/Gagner - Cole is starting to look like the player I thought we were getting and it is no coincidence that Gagner is starting in flashes to look like the Gagner we saw last year. So there are some signs of secondary scoring. As luck would have it, Hemsky went down so we still don't really have two lines of consistence scoring.

3. Smid - I have seen some wonderful plays under pressure from him over the last few games.

It has given me some hope that this team can turn the corner but until they start showing consistency I will not get my hopes up.

Avatar
#87 me
January 06 2009, 03:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Questions for Robin:

These are really not on topic but I wonder if you would answer them anyway.

Who is really in charge of trades or moves? Is Tambellini a puppet GM?

Do you get a sense that the Oilers will a move soon? (I don't expect any blockbusters as no one is making those kinds of moves in the salary cap world right now) but is there any talk or legitimate rumours of smaller moves they might make.

Avatar
#88 Cam
January 06 2009, 04:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ me: I agree with your comments regarding Gags, Cole and Smid. Love the way Smid played last night. The only guy who looked better on the back end was Visnovsky

Avatar
#89 Chris
January 06 2009, 04:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

me wrote:

Questions for Robin

Since we are asking questions... Why are we still booing Comrie? It's been years and years and the club has never delivered on it's promise to clear the air... What REALLY happened? At the time I automatically sided with Lowe... now I'm not so sure.

Avatar
#90 RobinB
January 06 2009, 04:08PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

rindog wrote:

What do you do if it is broke???

Good question. The debate, of course, is what constitutes "broke?"

Some people will say making the playoffs is good enough. Some people expect the Oilers to win a division title. Others, given MacTavish's tenure here, probably have a couple rounds deep into the playoffs as their cut-off point for what's acceptable.

I said in the pre-season I don't like the make-up of this team, and that goes for the coaching staff. I think there's adequate individual talent here, but as we're seeing, that hasn't consistently translated into results many people think it's reasonable to expect.

At times, I question the personnel Lowe has assembled. Other times, I question how MacTavish has used the personnel he has. I look at the veterans. I look at the leadership. The coaching.

I don't have the answer. If I did, I'm guessing Katz would pay me handsomely for it.

Avatar
#91 RobinB
January 06 2009, 04:09PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Chris wrote:

me wrote: Questions for Robin Since we are asking questions… Why are we still booing Comrie? It’s been years and years and the club has never delivered on it’s promise to clear the air… What REALLY happened? At the time I automatically sided with Lowe… now I’m not so sure.

Actually, it was Comrie and agent Ritch Winter who said they'd tell all when the saga was over and the time was right. It never happened.

Avatar
#92 David Supina
January 06 2009, 04:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I don't know what everyone expected out of this team. I thought they were a team that would finish first in their division in a close battle, or second and around the sixth spot, depending on how things went, but either way, would be better towards the end of the year than the beginning. The fact of the matter is that they've been a bit better of late, and should continue to improve. They're a playoff bound team, IMO. Not a conference contender, but I don't think anybody was suggesting that.

Keep in mind they actually won this game. You can talk all you want about how they played down to the level of the Islanders, but the fact is they found a way to win this one, whereas earlier in the year they didn't. It's slight progress, but progress nonetheless. They'll make the playoffs as long as Hemsky isn't out too long.

Avatar
#93 Chris
January 06 2009, 04:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Nice side step. I bet you have the 411...

Avatar
#94 Deans
January 06 2009, 04:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I still boo Jason Arnott and Tom Poti. I'm not mad, bitter or resentful of anything they have done in the past or present. The reason I boo them is because it is fun. It adds something to the game. Frankly the joke is not on them its on us. Yes we still remember, and Yes we are this childish. When I boo Comrie I''m not seething with anger, Im lauging and having a good time. Dont kid yourself, nobody is still upset about Comrie's preceived transgresions against OilersNation.

Avatar
#95 Chris
January 06 2009, 04:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I boo Pronger for real.

Avatar
#96 me
January 06 2009, 04:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

RobinB wrote:

Chris wrote: me wrote: Questions for Robin Since we are asking questions… Why are we still booing Comrie? It’s been years and years and the club has never delivered on it’s promise to clear the air… What REALLY happened? At the time I automatically sided with Lowe… now I’m not so sure. Actually, it was Comrie and agent Ritch Winter who said they’d tell all when the saga was over and the time was right. It never happened.

What do you think happened?

I have my own theory and one of management leaked to me that there was a division in the dressing room between MacT supporters and players that did not support him.

MacT won the battle as the players that I was told did not support MacT have all moved on.

Avatar
#97 Cam
January 06 2009, 04:48PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Chris wrote:

I boo Pronger for real.

I do too. And it is good and just to do so.

I also boo Comrie for real since he did the same thing as CFP. You tell me you will not play for my beloved team and I say "bOoooooo" until you retire... and then I don't say anything at all.

Avatar
#98 Chris
January 06 2009, 04:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ me: I really have no real direct source of good info regarding the matter, and therfore, no ability to intelligently speculate. I'd be interested to know if Comrie's direct ties to ownership played a part in this. I disregard rumors of poor sexual conduct as rumors. I think it was bush league of Lowe to ask for money back. This act severley damaged the organizations reputation amoung many agents and players.

Avatar
#99 rindog
January 06 2009, 04:51PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ RobinB:

A couple of things.

I think "broke" would be defined as not making the playoffs with any consistency whatsoever.

Even the year we went on the cup run - we needed a colossal collapse by Vancouver to do so.

As far as the make-up of the team - what didn't you like? And I am not necessarily disagreeing with you.

As far as being concerned with the make-up of the coaching staff...I think a large majority of hockey fans share your concern but aren't nearly as patient/objective as you are when it comes to placing blame/resposibility for our lack of consistency.

To me it is very hard to evaluate both things simultaneously (coaching & player personnel). It's evident that Lowe has tried to change the roster to see if that was the problem?

Why do you think MacT has been here so long? Do you think Lowe is afraid that another guy will do worse? Is he just looking out for a buddy? Is he concerned MacT will leave and come back to burn us? Or does he really think that MacT is the guy that will lead us to championship opportunities??

The whole situation seems very odd, don't you think?

Avatar
#100 Deep Oil
January 06 2009, 05:02PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ Deans:Comrie received a bad deal - what is the sin in not resigning as a RFA in Edmonton - what is this organization - the IRON CURTAIN - Lowe was ticked off at Comrie for "quitting" on the team in the playoffs with his equipment off based on an injury between periods - and KLOWE went SID VICOUS on the kid - the off ice issue rumors are not valid - but the Oil promised disclosure on this smearing incident that both sides looked bad and caused a FREE AGENT avoidance of Edmonton for some time - causing Lowe to overpay time and time again - for $4mm I would take Comrie over Penner, Pisani and so on....

Comments are closed for this article.