Happy Saint Basilissa Day, Nation

Wanye
January 09 2009 09:44AM

Has it been a year already??

Now of course half of you are saying “Happy St. Basilissa's Day to you, Wanye. peace be with you and your third century Roman family on this special day.” The other half are saying “You are incorrect, sir. Today is St. Agatho’s Day”

To the first group we kindly reply “and unto you fellow Citizen of the Nation of Rome” and to the second we remind you that St. Agatho’s Day is tomorrow, Jan. 10. For those few ignorant boobs amongst you who aren’t up to date with your third century Roman-nobility-turned-Saints we will give you a quick primer.

Basilla, also known as Basilissa, was a member of a noble Roman family. She refused to marry Pompeius, a Roman patrician. She was beheaded when she was denounced to Emperor Galienus by Pompeius and remained steadfast in her refusal to marry him.

Ain't that some serious shit? Too bad you can't go around beheading people left and right these days for pissing you off. We know of a few Citizens of this Nation who would be lining up outside RX1 tonight with their head cleaving swords at the ready if they could.

But Wanye why are you telling us about this? And quite frankly who cares?

Because -- quite frankly –- we are searching high and low for something positive to discuss today. Over at the Journal they are excited that Ales Hemsky is able to ride a bike.

"Just the fact he was on the bike is a good sign," MacTavish said. "But he's probably still a little ways away." So nothing there.

Gilbert Brule was fun to discuss prior to the last game -- but he finished the game with a grand total of eight shifts, including a corking one whole shift effort in the third period. Horcoff? He’s still feeling the effects of carrying around his gigantic wallet which has caused him to have some back spasms of late. Penner? Looking for elastic-wasted jeans to fit his ample frame.

Then there's this:

We are from Edmonton. Born and raised. We will go out and frolic in the snow for hours wearing nothing but a speedo and braided chest hair if the mood strikes us. But even this is getting to be a bit much. Sometimes we wish we lived in a warmer country. Perhaps one with lax gun running laws and that allows for multiple wives...

But we are getting off track.

The Universe has us backed into a corner today Nation. The Sharks are coming in here ready to bust some heads. With only five regulation losses all year they are riding high on the horse. Further complicating matters is the fact Calgary had the audacity to beat the Sharks 5-2 the other night and so they roll into E-Town mad.

Great.

We could go look for inspiration from our All-Star (swoon).

"If we have a lackadaisical start against San Jose, they're going to eat us up," Souray noted yesterday. "It's going to be important that we're ready off the bat. There's no fuel that needs to be added. Every day we get motivation from looking at the standings and seeing we're not in a playoff spot."

So like we said to start.

Happy Saint Basilissa’s Day.

Final Note

We have a buddy in San Jose who reps the Sharks hard. Like any good Oilers fan we rip him mercilessly for his poor choice of hockey squadron and often place wagers on the game. Despite all good sense and logic we will be texting him later to place a double or nothing wager on last game, which the Oil won mind you -- Saint Basilissa be praised –- so we know he will be down.

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#1 The Towel Boy
January 09 2009, 09:48AM

Remember when the Sharks' best player was Pat Faloon? Those were the days.

#2 Zamboni Driver
January 09 2009, 09:50AM

Doesn't that art pic of the Saint look a little like Bucky being asked to explain breakout strategy vs. a left-wing lock?

To be followed by, "Me played with Gretzky."

#3 SeanS
January 09 2009, 09:51AM

@ The Towel Boy:

Lol and dave manson with the blistering slap shot. Good old nhl 93.

Any word on the starting goalie tonight? I assume it must be Roli?

#4 Steele
January 09 2009, 09:53AM

Wayne,

I live in San Francisco, but an Edmontonian through & through, and even up here we can all smell the Sharks down there in San Jose. Yes, Shark fans with so much money in thier fancy jeans that they show up mid-way through the second period to kick out real hockey fans from the good seats they noticed were empty at the start of the first. Pompus, rich, e-poser techie hockey fans that wonder why the NHL hires deaf referees that need to sign-in thier penalty calls to the timekeepers.

Take solice Wayne that you live where Hockey was born - EDMONTON!!!!

Go Oilers!

~Steele

#5 BUCK75
January 09 2009, 10:09AM

The Towel Boy wrote:

Pat Faloon

Is that the same guy who was on SNL who played the guitar? The same guy who was in that Pepsi commercial who jumped on the roofs of cars & did a silly dance?

Oh Pat Falloon, the 2nd overall bust who had a cup of coffee in Edmonton.

After being embarassed in Calgary the other night & losing a game they should have won earlier in the year to Edmonton, the sharks will be in a pissy mood tonight I would imagine.

#6 Jack Bauer
January 09 2009, 10:51AM

"Yes, Shark fans with so much money in thier fancy jeans that they show up mid-way through the second period to kick out real hockey fans from the good seats they noticed were empty at the start of the first"

That happens at RX1 all the time trust me.

#7 The Towel Boy
January 09 2009, 10:52AM

I once traded a Kevin Stevens R/C and a CUJO R/C for a Pat Faloon R/C. I'm pretty sure the kid I traded with wishes he never made that deal. Sucker.

#8 shakey
January 09 2009, 11:08AM

Just what we need... a pissed off Sharks team that already had revenge on their minds. Oh and I see its a Sportsnet game. Yeah, we get more of Louie rambling and saying Horcoff when it's Cogliano. I miss Ray.

#9 Cam
January 09 2009, 11:15AM

The Towel Boy wrote:

I once traded a Kevin Stevens R/C and a CUJO R/C for a Pat Faloon R/C. I’m pretty sure the kid I traded with wishes he never made that deal. Sucker.

I traded an Yzerman rookie for a Federov rookie and bunch of spare parts when I was still an idiot kid. I still think about it and grind my teeth.

#10 Wanye Gretz
January 09 2009, 11:19AM

The Towel Boy wrote:

*single tear*

#11 The Towel Boy
January 09 2009, 11:28AM

Wanye Gretz wrote:

When I was 6 years old I traded a Patrick Roy rookie card for a Patrick Roy rookie sticker. The kid I traded it to still has the card, whereas my sticker book is long gone. *single tear*

Haha...I remember those stupid sticker books. My friend was so anal about the stickers lining up perfectly within' the lines...I wanted to punch him.

#12 CurtisS
January 09 2009, 12:01PM

Thats not improving at all.

#13 Travis Dakin
January 09 2009, 12:06PM

Zamboni Driver wrote:

Doesn’t that art pic of the Saint look a little like Bucky being asked to explain breakout strategy vs. a left-wing lock? To be followed by, “Me played with Gretzky.”

See, now that was pure, solid f*cking gold.

#14 Dennis Castro
January 09 2009, 12:15PM

CurtisS wrote:

We are 15-17-3 since after our little 4 game winning streak at the start of the season. Thats not improving at all.

Well what are we going to do, the whole team and organization has made it acceptable to be a mediocre hockey team that barely makes the playoffs or misses the playoff by 3 points or less. At least before the salary cap era we could make the excuse of not being able to pay, but there is no excuse now. Its a result of the whole management team, from K Lowe down not being able properly assess the needs of the hockey team from year to year, or not being willing to do what ever it takes to pick up the required pieces.

#15 David S
January 09 2009, 02:55PM

"Like any good Oilers fan we rip him mercilessly for his poor choice of hockey squadron and often place wagers on the game."

More than likely you won't be able to sit down for a week after this game Wanye. At least you get staff prices on booze at Hudsons. That will be your only solace tonight I'm afraid.

#16 Wanye Gretz
January 09 2009, 03:29PM

David S wrote:

At least you get staff prices on booze at Hudsons.

I do?? Since when??

*runs out of building with no jacket straight to Hudsons*

I can assure you there will be Nation staffers at Hudsons for the game day party hooking up the people who come down to support the Kids with Cancer cause.

#17 David S
January 09 2009, 07:03PM

Come to think of it, it might be cool if you guys had a ON night at Hudson's. Then we could all get together and plot the demise of Deep Oil and live post the meeting's notes. That and enjoy the staff prices - triples all night boys!

#18 Amber McCormick
January 09 2009, 08:03PM

I only celebrate 2 Saints:

1-Saint Polycarp of Smyrna: Patron Saint Against Dysentery and Earaches

2-Saint Drogo: Patron Saint of Unattractive People

#19 Trent
January 10 2009, 12:17AM

David S wrote:

Come to think of it, it might be cool if you guys had a ON night at Hudson’s. Then we could all get together and plot the demise of Deep Oil and live post the meeting’s notes. That and enjoy the staff prices - triples all night boys!

You may want to look at the big box over there that says "Nation party"

#20 David S
January 10 2009, 01:01AM

Thanks. I use Firefox, which this site has yet to be optimized for. That big box is a 30 second scroll down so I never look there.

Bourbon Street, WEM huh? Too bad. I don't carry a shiv and I'm over 20. Bring it to the downtown Hudsons and I'm there.

#21 Dana @ AgileStyle
January 10 2009, 11:06AM

@ David S: What makes you think this site hasn't been optimized for Firefox?

That banner has been up for a week--I think your comment says a lot about how some of the regular posters use the site, which is both interesting and valuable to know.

#22 David S
January 10 2009, 11:19AM

Dana - Firefox (on a new MACBook Pro) looks like a bit of a dog's breakfast. Then I switch to Safari and I see all the great work the developers have put in. It's a bloody Greek tragedy. And yes, I've dumped the cache.

Anyways. I'll have to be a bit more diligent to check the rest of the page, even if it's a bit outta whack. I'd like to met some of the ON crew.

#23 Dana @ AgileStyle
January 10 2009, 11:35AM

I'm the developer, so thanks. Firefox on my MBP was the primary browser used when turning the designer's images into what your browser loads. The site should look identical between Firefox and Safari, and IE6/7 has a few small differences.

What version of Firefox are you running? Click Firefox -> About from the menubar to find out. Could you email me a screenshot (you can use finder to run Grab, which lets you do this easily) to dana.janssen@agilestyle.com? This will show me what a dog's breakfast is. Thanks, I appreciate it!

#24 Danny
January 10 2009, 12:08PM

Oilers are going to make an announcement, at 2pm anybody know about what it is all hush hush