Oilers vs. Canadiens: Post-Game

Jonathan Willis
October 11 2009 10:20AM

Edmonton Oilers: 3
Montreal Canadiens: 2

Play of the Night

With 30 seconds left in the second period, Nikolai Khabibulin made three saves in the span of about four seconds, including a brilliant stop on Canadiens centre Scott Gomez.  Khabibulin's strong play was all that kept the Oilers in the game.

The Coach Is Saying...

"I think you get a lift from [Khabibulin's play].  You're probably sitting there saying, 'we don't necessarily deserve to be ahead, but here we are ahead'.  We went in that way, and in the second when we started to play, got a couple of nice chances and then a little bit of a cusion, and some bad stuff set in again.  We picked times to not be smart, stickhandling with less than a minute to go, we have the puck, turnover for a two-on-one to even give them any sort of a sniff after a pretty good period.  In the third we battled hard but Montreal had the edge in the play, and Khabibulin was sharp again."

"We weren't quick enough.  Quickness comes out of positioning too, and our positioning - we didn't help our defence a lot to find plays tonight.  We were in circles.  We drifted away, turning our backs to the puck.  Your system of moving the puck then is ad lib, and ad lib very seldom has a chance."

"Our down low coverage depends a lot on your third man back in, which traditionally is your centreman.  We were losing a lot, we weren't strong enough around the net area.  Part of that is your third, your centreman in a lot of cases.  I thought I'd move Mike [Comrie] out to the wing, which is where he believes he signed to play."

"Early on in camp when I was looking at Sam [Gagner] I was looking for his offence because I'd heard he had lots, but more importantly I was looking for how he'd play the transition game and that's something I hadn't seen earlier, but in the three games that he played so far to this day I thought he was doing pretty well."

"This will be work.  This is a project.  All teams are projects.  I don't know how many points I can say I would be happy with; I'll know when I see it as far as how we play, and when I'll take some comfort that we're getting close.  I've seen some good signs from my team, but at critical moments we do good work and follow it up with chicken stuff: not awareness, not smarts, not puck placement, or in the last minutes of games.  We gave up points in the last minute of two games.  Good teams have that happen once in a while, but in the first four games to give up points of two.  Again, in the last shift of the second period, for crying out loud, and last shift the other night against Calgary, the faceoff."

Fun With Numbers

• Montreal outshot the Oilers 35 - 19.
  • Ladislav Smid led the Oilers in ice-time (23:12)
  • Of the Oilers' top-nine forwards last night, none had less ice-time than Mike Comrie (12:24)

Random Thoughts

Did Hemsky really need to miss that empty net?  Doesn't he realize he's on my fantasy team and that I'm in the fight of my life?  If he really cared about my fantasy hockey team he would have found a way to make that happen.

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
#1 Plumber Jer
October 11 2009, 10:25AM

Sad that I had to miss the game last night. Cousin's wedding last night. Blargh.

#2 ®ider
October 11 2009, 10:26AM

Khabby played fantastically, that's what we need: him to steal a few games for us.

#3 Shapeman
October 11 2009, 10:44AM

Ugh JW i feel for you too. I was hoping Hemmer would put t int he empty net and help out my fantasy team too..

#4 Horcsky
October 11 2009, 10:55AM

Well, Khabibulin is learning what it's like to play goal for the Edmonton Oilers. Lots of defensive breakdowns, the puck in your end for extended periods of time, and shots upon shots.

Hopefully that's not true by the end of the year.

#5 Low On Oil
October 11 2009, 11:02AM

I watched the game at Hudson's last night. It was pretty funny, I was trying to explain that guys like JFJ/Stone were on the team to create space/crash and bang to one of my friends--then they both finally put up points. It was good to see JFJ get a goal and Stone an assist.

#6 freeze
October 11 2009, 11:10AM

That was a beauty tip by JF and Khabby was lights out. Quinn certainly knows the story and I think he will make solid NHLers from our young guys. I wonder how much patience he will have with vets making the stupid plays?

Anyone know Peckham's status? Is he not in game shape yet? I noticed he played in the falcons games this weekend. (both losses)

#7 Librarian Mike
October 11 2009, 11:21AM

Well, one thing I can say about this season so far is that it's been exciting.

Jonathan. I saw in today's Journal that there's talk about the Oilers having a ceremony to commemorate the 84 cup win. Are they serious? Look, I'm as big a fan as you'll find, but I thought this team was done with trading on the glory years. Can we please all just let the 80s lie and focus on the now?

Sorry, I guess that kinda turned into a rant.

#8 Gerald R. Ford
October 11 2009, 12:32PM

@Librarian Mike

Yeah, enough with the trips down memory lane already. You can't go forward if you're constantly looking back. There's a fine line between honouring the past, and being a slave to it. I'm not a fan of the vintage jerseys replacing the copper and blue as the primary home uniform, either.

Have to agree with the assessment of Khabibulin. Rock-solid, and he's kept the Oil in every game, despite lots of horrifically bad bounces. He might sweat like Wanye around one of those airport luggage sniffing dogs, but he's as cool as a cucumber.

In other news, it's good to see Horcoff making progress. At least he's finally finding *a* net. Just wish it wasn't ours...

Oh, and if it's standard procedure to add "er" to the end of a guy's name for a lazy nickname ("Hemmer" etc.) does that make Roman Hamrlik "Hamrlikker"? Wouldn't want that one...

Food for thought on a Sunday afternoon.

#9 DiamondDave
October 11 2009, 01:07PM

I'm sure you guys have heard this one:

After a narrow victory in 1994, Boston Bruins defenseman Al Iafrate was asked why, in the closing moments of the game, he had fired the puck around the boards rather than into the empty net. His reply? "Empty-net goals are for faggots."

As per the Hamrlik nickname, it'd be "Hammer" which is pretty B.A. to me.

#10 Oilitsinyoutogive
October 11 2009, 01:26PM

hemsky has now missed 2 empty nets, one of which would have put us ahead, Time to panic???? No, no its not.

#11 Oilchange64
October 11 2009, 01:52PM

Turkey + Oiler win + Sask win + NFL today = Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

#12 Dan the Man
October 11 2009, 02:00PM

I criticized Bulin for mot making "the big save" in past games so I'm going to give him kudos for a great game last night too. He IS the reason we left with 2 points.

#13 Smokin' Ray
October 11 2009, 02:16PM

JW WROTE: "I thought I'd move Mike [Comrie] out to the wing, which is where he believes he signed to play." What does this mean? Has Mike expressed displeasure about playing center? Is he unhappy already? *scratches head*

#14 Hemmertime
October 11 2009, 02:37PM

Gregor said Khabby needs to steal 7 games for us this year, I think its safe to say: One.

Side note, why does it seem ON had quicker, more frequent updates in the offseason than during the year? Granted most of those were Willis and he has his new writing gig, but c'mon people. Piss off Bob Stauffer by writing articles.

#15 Hemmertime
October 11 2009, 02:40PM

@Librarian Mike

Sigh, Those werent my Oilers, I want success now (even at the expense of "Dignity" by groveling for a star as Brownlee puts it). The Oilers are becoming the 50 year old man that still brags about his High School Quarterbacking days.

#16 toprightcorner
October 11 2009, 02:44PM
Smokin' Ray wrote:

He has over 60% FO winning percentage, he needs to be the one to help take some for Horc. I don't care where you prefer to play, you play where you can best help your team and currently that should be on the dot, but Brule on the wing to give him more opportunity to hit guys.

What the heck is Horc doing trying to bat a shot out of the air. I bet only a 10% chance of actually batting it into the corner. Is it just me or do the Oil try to swing at shots in front of their own net more than anyone. Take your man and let the goalie see the shot. Blocking is one thing but trying to deflect it intentionally is down right retarded!

#17 David S
October 11 2009, 03:35PM
Smokin' Ray wrote:

#18 Deans
October 11 2009, 04:03PM

People who had the over were equally pissed that Hemmer missed the net. I had the Oiler at -1.5 so I also missed out.

#19 Smokin' Ray
October 11 2009, 04:05PM
David S wrote:

Then why would Quinn say that?

#20 Oh Man
October 11 2009, 04:14PM

Willis,

Take some advice: either offer insightful analysis or don't post. You're stretching yourself too thin and this post is evidence of that, since it's pretty pointless. Usually you offer some of the best stuff, but you shouldn't add these analysis-free posts just to keep up appearances. You're going to ruin your own reputation. More is not necessarily better.

And don't give me the "if you don't like it, don't read it" line, because I do like your stuff, but I'm going to stop clicking through if you keep offering these pointless posts, as will many of your readers I suspect. All you have to separate you from the countless other bloggers is your reputation for good analysis. Don't ruin it!

#21 Wanye
October 11 2009, 04:25PM
Oh Man wrote:

Willis,

Easy there my good man. This is intended to be a new feature centered around highlight packages of the game the night before. Willis is busy winning the Nobel Prize and establishing himself at a new gig. Give him a break.

#22 gangstar
October 11 2009, 04:44PM

yeah stfu "oh man" I appreciate this post if only for the highlights.

#23 David S
October 11 2009, 04:52PM

@ Ray.

Are you bored? Need some nebulous conjecture to get through the day?

Just because Quinn stated that Comrie thought he was signing up for a winger position doesn't remotely equate to his (Comrie's) dissatisfaction. Did you see the After Hours segment last night? Comrie would be just as happy washing Joey Moss' car as long as he was in the starting lineup.

#24 Librarian Mike
October 11 2009, 05:09PM

@David S

Comrie would be just as happy washing Joey Moss' car

I'm pretty sure that job is already taken by Robert Nilsson.

#26 BarryS
October 11 2009, 06:41PM
Jonathan Willis wrote:

No worries, I didn't take it personally.

Behind the scenes, we've been discussing that it might be a nice idea to put the NHL.com highlights package on site after every game and provide some brief highlights from the game.

It's probably going to continue.

Seems like a good plan to me. Of course, when we loose I won't be watching it. Keep up the good ideas.

#27 freeze
October 11 2009, 07:06PM

@Jonathan Willis

I have no beef with a recap post at all, esp. if I happen to miss the game. I really appreciate your posting Quinn's post-game remarks.

#28 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
October 11 2009, 08:18PM
Oh Man wrote:

Willis,

Oh Man,

Take some advice: Go start yourself a blog full of what you deem to be insightful analysis.

Until then, STFU.

Regards,

Common Sense

#29 Michael
October 11 2009, 09:33PM

How did Smid look in all that ice-time? I missed the game but I know he had an assist on a good point shot wrister and ended +1. And who did he face mostly?

#30 Smokin' Ray
October 11 2009, 09:50PM
David S wrote:

@ Ray.

Are you bored? Need some nebulous conjecture to get through the day?

Am I bored? Yes.

Did I watch After Hours? Not very much anymore, I don't really care for that segment.

Do I think that there is something underlying in that statement about Comrie? Yes.

Am I wondering why your in a bitter mood on Thanksgiving weekend after a win? No.

#31 BigE57
October 11 2009, 10:27PM

Went to RX1 for the game last night. Pretty much enjoyed it, a win seems to do that. I have 2 issues though.

1. The lame Hab fans behind us who continually cursed uncontrollably making it particularly less enjoyable for the younger fans in our section. We should have got security but didn't and one of the Canadiens fans decided it would be ok to fight a fellow Oiler fan right there in the seats after the final buzzer. Give the decision to the Oil fan as he got in a couple shots and then the other guys friends dragged him away before it got too ugly.

2. Maybe Gregor, or Robin or Jonathon or anyone at the Nation can answer this for me. Why does the Oilers organization roll out the red carpet for the Canadiens and there fans when they come to town. It's bad enough we have to put up with red and white jerseys in the stands, can't do anything about that, but when Paul sings part ofthe National anthem in french and the pregame promo on the board caters to the Montreal faithful it bugs me. RX1 should be a hostile environment for the visitors not home away from home.

#32 Hemmertime
October 12 2009, 01:12AM

@Oh Man

I see it as "Todays thread" for comments too. I enjoy new material each day - hell I enjoy the pointless Wanye rants immensely so this is way more on target

#33 RLH
October 12 2009, 06:31AM

Nice story JW. Please make this a series.