Oilers Vs. Blackhawks: Post-Game

Jonathan Willis
October 15 2009 10:59AM

Edmonton Oilers: 3

Chicago Blackhawks: 4

What the Coach is Saying

“Our defence had a nightmare of a time trying to figure out how to stop what looked like a fast attack, which only comes about because your forwards don’t do a good job, and our forwards did a poor job.”
“Our guys that are supposed to be our high-end skill guys, in games like this they want to play the wide-open stuff, but what it shows is their skill’s not good enough to play there. If they think that’s how they want to play the game they’re kidding themselves; they better really get back to thinking about being a lot better without the puck.”

Fun With Numbers

Something a little different in today’s Fun With Numbers section – a look at the Corsi counts for last night, courtesy of timeonice.com:

Forwards

• Jason Strudwick: -1
  • Lubomir Visnovsky: -4
  • Denis Grebeshkov: -7
  • Taylor Chorney: -8
  • Tom Gilbert: -8
  • Ladislav Smid: -12

Those of you who watched the game (I know, shame on me) can decide amongst yourselves if that’s at all indicative of the way certain people played last night, but I have trouble seeing a guy like Shawn Horcoff having a good game when he’s that far into the red. I’ll grant that he probably played against very good players, and quite possibly a lot in the defensive zone, but he’s being paid very handsomely to be good in those situations anyway and last night I imagine he wasn’t.

I see Strudwick up at the top in terms of shots for and against for the defence; I’m surprised to see it not only because he traditionally struggles by this metric but also because based on his confusion on the Blackhawks first goal and his subsequent pull-down of Patrick Sharp (resulting in a penalty shot) would seem to indicate a poor game.

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
#1 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
October 15 2009, 11:02AM

What are those numbers? Never seen them before.

#2 Kristopher
October 15 2009, 11:03AM

You should seriously watch the hockey games, it helps.

#3 BK16
October 15 2009, 11:07AM

Strudwick was absloutely brutal last night. When he gets a hold of the puck he instantly throws it away, without any second thought of even trying to make a pass or a play of some sort. We really miss Souray. Bad.

#4 Deans
October 15 2009, 11:13AM

I feel that Quinn's analysis is correct. The Oilers played Chicago's game but they didnt have the skill to counter punch when the Hawks swarmed them. Bulin saved this from being a blowout. Perhaps, The Oil matchup poorly against The Hawks.

#5 Garett
October 15 2009, 11:13AM

Khabby skews the look of this game, shoulda been about 7-2. We got out smarted, out skated, out talented and out worked. Besides Penner and Khabby, there was not much to be happy with. Bulin was lights out against his former team. Penner should take Hemmer's "A". He is leading by example and earning all of his points,Hemmer is just not looking good at all. Does he not fit this system? Is it time to put Hemmer on the block? Whatcould he get us?

#6 Garett
October 15 2009, 11:15AM

#7 smiliegirl15
October 15 2009, 11:20AM

I did not see last night's game either. I am very happy with Penner's two points but I am even more happier with the fact the coach is calling all players accountable for their play. It's refreshing, although brutal, to realize just how bad some of our "star" players are. If anyone can make something of this team, Quinn can. If he can't, I hope to hell Tabellini has a Plan B.

#8 smiliegirl15
October 15 2009, 11:20AM

Tambellini

#9 me
October 15 2009, 11:21AM

If Corsi numbers are showing that Strudwick was the best dman then this stat has a major problem.

#10 Dale
October 15 2009, 11:21AM

Corsi numbers are garbage. The Oilers got out shot two-to-one again. Of course they will look bad.

The reason Strudwick gets more shots for is becuase he plays with Visnovsky, is that really that hard to figure out.

Only 4th line and Penner played well up front. Rest struggled.

#11 Colin
October 15 2009, 11:30AM

Penner and Cogliano were the only players other than Khabibulin to have a decent game. Really like seeing Penner actually shove people around, might make a power forward out of him yet.

Atrocious effort all around. Comrie and Chorney stood out as exceptionally bad I thought.

Couldn't make a pass or clear the zone to save their lives.

And what's with the no look behind the back passes into the centre of the ice, saw it several times last night and the hawks picked it off easily every time.

#12 blu
October 15 2009, 11:32AM

Outside of actually throwing the odd shoulder at someone, Strudwick was terrible.

Hemsky has been invisible. When you're Ales Hemsky, the last thing you should be is invisible.

Comrie was pants on head retarded lights out. And I mean that. Lights out. Dead battery. No power. Not moving. Doing nothing.

Penner has brought his A game all year so far. I really hope he keeps it up, and others join him.

Bulin really was a wall. We appear to have a couple of goaltenders on our hands.

#13 SirFozz
October 15 2009, 11:32AM

That game made me sad.:(

#14 Deans
October 15 2009, 11:38AM

@SirFozz

Dont worry abou it, that was a very entertaining game. Two hours well spent

#15 Harlie
October 15 2009, 11:44AM

Horcoff, Commie and Hemmer were the worst of the bunch last night. Probably because I expected the most out of them. Shame on me. Or shame on them??

#16 E-Mac
October 15 2009, 11:54AM

Hemsky looked horrible last night. Floated around, didn't do anything except look real soft.

#17 BingBong
October 15 2009, 11:58AM

Agree with most of the posts above - Strudwick was terrible, he's at best a 7th dman. Most of our forwards don't have the skill to be effective in that type of game (like Quinn said) and then struggle bigtime on the defensive end. Comrie, Horcoff, Sulli and Hemsky were especially bad last night. Turnover after turnover, and doing nothing to stop it on the defensive end. Penner did play well, as did the 4th line most of the night. Our defense had a very hard time, but like Quinn said the forwards weren't helping. I don't understand why they refuse to cover the point...doesn't make sense. Chorney looked good at times but was obviously playing in the wrong league. Bulin Wall was awesome - some of those stops when it was 3-1 were incredible.

#18 Wanye
October 15 2009, 12:08PM

I watched the game last night - that was probably the best game I have seen Dustin "the donair inhaler" Penner play in his time as an Edmonton Oiler.

#19 Doug Donnelly
October 15 2009, 12:15PM

The guys have to get away from the Mac T game, they have to listen to coach Quinns game plans. Forget about the fancy plays, the game is getting faster and faster. Shot the puck on net and things will happen. A War can not be won by an individual sniper, you need your Army to soldier on as a unit to meet your objective.

#20 Ogden Brother
October 15 2009, 12:29PM
Wanye wrote:

Agreed (though I think he's had 3-4 games at that caliber this year). If he can maintain this level over the season he'll be a 30/60 guy easy.

#21 Lofty
October 15 2009, 12:40PM
Doug Donnelly wrote:

Quinn is looking for the same thing MacT was looking for.All we can do is hope that Quinn's tactics work better than last years

#22 RT
October 15 2009, 01:09PM

I was at the game last night, and have been to the Oilers - Hawks games here in Chicago for the last 3 years.

We don't match up well with the Hawks. Smid looked good and played a good game, Strudwick had a rough night.

Gagner and Hemsky get pushed off the puck so easily it sucks. Penner played well and took the body. He is also skinnier than I remember.

We got out played badly in the first 40 minutes and without Khabibulin maiing some tough saves and some fluky goals, we'd have been blown out.

#23 Colin
October 15 2009, 01:29PM
Ogden Brother wrote:

His current pace is 41 goals and 55 assists, 96 points.

I doubt he can maintain it, but wouldn't be horribly suprised if he did, the talent and size are there, it's been the effort that's held him back in the past.

I'd say 30-35 goals and 70 points are realistic acheivable targets.

#24 Tha Legion
October 15 2009, 01:42PM

tough showing last night, oilers didn't look like they wanted it. They can't win em all I guess and i'm sure they will bounce back.. Stop getting outshot gdi

#25 Milli
October 15 2009, 01:44PM

Pretty ugly night. Thought most of our forwards looked really slow, especially in our own end. Our D look butter soft without Souray and staios in the line up. I am really having troubles figuring out what has happened to Hemmer, at the end of last season and so far this year, he just seems off. On a side note: Wayne, I just got the shirts, Thank you very much, they are friggin sweet!!!! Anyone who hasn't seen them should check them out!!!!!

#26 Wanye
October 15 2009, 01:49PM
Ogden Brother wrote:

I didn't think we would be measuring the big man in those increments this year. Let's hope that is the case.

#27 Ogden Brother
October 15 2009, 02:14PM
Wanye wrote:

Either did I, I would (will) be happy with 25/50, but I'd be extact (and dare I say we could then call Penner a "deal) if he can put up 30/60.

#31 David S
October 15 2009, 02:53PM

@Jonathan Willis

Actually, its really too bad you didn't catch this one. A game like this puts things back into perspective and might have given you a different context when looking at the numbers. It seems to me that we weren't so bad, rather the opposition was that much better. So much so in fact that most of our guys fell back to doing things like they did most of last year. Very interesting to watch.

#32 hegs
October 15 2009, 03:12PM

I admit hemsky, and struds looked bad,,,,,but hands down the brutalist player in the "NHL" has got to be Moreau, it is extremely difficult to watch this guy.....absolutely zero hockey sense, he is good for one bad penalty a game (except last night), usually has his stick at opposing players teeth level.

My thought get rid of the old guard, Moreau, Pisani, Staois and make Souray your Cap and get a different veteran supporting cast

P.S. Horcoff is worth every penny

#33 rubbertrout
October 15 2009, 03:25PM
smiliegirl15 wrote:

Tambellini

And you don't want to edit the "even more happier" part?

#34 Racki
October 15 2009, 03:57PM

Sorry to pile on, but really, there are no stats that substitute for watching a game no matter how hard you wish it ;)

#35 Cool Beans
October 15 2009, 07:34PM

The problem with Hemsky is he is listening to all the clowns who yell shoot! whenever he crosses the blueline.

#36 Eric Johnson
October 15 2009, 09:47PM
Jonathan Willis wrote:

Well, golly gee, I may need to start watching hockey.

Wow Willis I am impressed, that was very Brownlee-esque :)