GDB VII: Sans Hemsky

Jason Gregor
October 16 2009 12:07PM

Happy frickin' Friday to you. My day started out just peachy when I was dinged by the fuzz for speeding. They sure picked the perfect spot: Edmonton's scenic 66th St and 36th Ave, just as you sped up the hill.

I have all the respect for the Police, and no doubt I was speeding, but this officer riled me up. I’ve been pulled over many times, and once I’m stopped I reach into the glove box and grab my insurance and registration. I believe in getting it over with as quick as possible.

So Mr. Patrolman knocks on the window, I power my window down and I’m greeted with this:

“Jason do you know you were going 81 in a 60 zone?”

I look up and have no clue who this guy is, but he knows my name. I do have the Kia logoed up with a TEAM 1260 logo, so it’s not hard to put two and two together.

Once he said my name he gave me a glimmer of hope that I might get off, or at least get a reduction. Nope, he just threw that out there to add insult to injury. I have no problem taking my lumps and paying the ticket, but next time, coppers, don't tease with the possibility or a reduction.

As a side thought, I wonder how many guys have been let go with a warning after being pulled over for speeding, because almost every hot girl I know has had one freebie?

Hemsky out

Even though he hasn’t played well to date, a team never wants their most skilled guy out of the lineup, but that’s the case tonight. Ales Hemsky is out with an undisclosed injury and Robert Nilsson will draw in.

Pat Quinn will put Mike Comrie on the left side, with Nilsson on the right of Shawn Horcoff. Horcoff left the morning skate and returned at the end, to try a different padding in his skates. Horcoff’s right foot is swollen after blocking a shot in Chicago, and the swelling is right where he ties up his skates. He was noticeably uncomfortable this morning, and admitted that it really bothers him to push off hard on his right foot.

Ken Lowe will be working to come up with something to relieve the pressure by game time.

Ethan Moreau, Andrew Cogliano and Zack Stortini will be another line, but after that it’s up in the air.

You could see JF Jacques with Sam Gagner and Patrick O’Sullivan, and Dustin Penner with Gilbert Brule and Ryan Stone. Or maybe Quinn puts Stone and Jacques with Gagner with the hope they have the same success as Moreau, Cogliano and Stortini.

No Havlat?

Many wondered who would get hurt first, Marian Gaborik or Martin Havlat, and if you picked Havlat you are the winner. Gaborik did miss some preseason games, but he has been on fire in the regular season. Havlat has five points in five games for the Wild, but he wasn’t on the ice this morning, and word is he won’t play.

Petr Sykora also didn’t skate and is out.

The Wild only have 12 goals in five games so far and right now only Marek Zidlicky and Shane Hnidy are + players. Seven of their 12 goals have come on the powerplay, and once again the Wild’s special teams are both in the top ten.

Their PP is 6th at 28% and their PK is 9th at 83.3%, but they can’t score five-on-five.

Eric Belanger leads them with two goals and seven points, while Andrew Brunette has four goals and six points. The Wild only have four players with three or more points, while the Oilers have ten with 3+ points.

The Wild are 0-4 on the road so far, and the Oilers were talking about the importance of a good start tonight.

The Wild will dress both 6’7” Derek Boogaard, and 6’8” Johnny Scott, so Zack Stortini could have his hands full tonight.

NATION DRAFT NO 1

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#1 SirFozz
October 16 2009, 12:15PM

Interesting to see what it's like with Hemsky out. He hasn't done anything but his presence most likely gives the other lines easier minutes.

Gregor, any chance Smackintire draws in tonight?

#2 David S
October 16 2009, 12:16PM

Thanks for the updates Jason!

Since the cop knew who was driving the Team 1260 Kia, I'm surprised he didn't punk you by saying he was going to issue another ticket for driving with a faulty gas gauge.

#3 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
October 16 2009, 12:20PM

No chance Mac is in? One would think if we don't dress him when Minny dresses two big goons like Boogard and Scott, then there is no place for Macintyre on this team.

This was looking like an easy game with all of Minny's injuries, but now with Hemksy out and are lines all mixed up who knows what happens.

#4 Poo Czar
October 16 2009, 12:22PM

Wait, Hemsky got beat up by a cop???

#5 Ogden Brother
October 16 2009, 12:23PM

If big mac doesn't draw in for this game, I don't see much reason to keep him around.

#6 DK0
October 16 2009, 12:26PM

@Poo Czar

Its amazing what reading 10% of the words in a post randomly will add up to...

#7 freeze
October 16 2009, 12:27PM

How long is that draft going to be open for sign up? It is pretty easy to pick the top point getters at this point in the season and sit a top the leader board.

#8 bingofuel
October 16 2009, 12:30PM
freeze wrote:

not much longer... that's why we're trying to promote the hell out of it right now.

#9 Freezing Weather Fan
October 16 2009, 12:31PM

Sounds like it should be a good game to watch. At least on paper the Oil sound like they're in a good position for another winner. And a few heavyweights should make the side-action interesting. I hope Smacintyre makes it in the lineup. The home of the nation might just get me down there to watch again, I'm pretty happy with the Pint.

#10 ChaseEmDown
October 16 2009, 12:33PM

It still scares me when I read about how bad another team is before the Oilers play them. Those guaranteed wins ended up turning into losses every time in the past. Let's hope that has changed positively along with the team we've been seeing so far this season.

#11 Librarian Mike
October 16 2009, 12:34PM

I hope MacIntyre is in tonight. My friend is from New Zealand and this will be her first hockey game. I told her not to expect too many nice goals, but all she cares about is seeing lots of fights. Ha.

#12 erixon
October 16 2009, 12:35PM

Gregor,

I have never been let go by a male cop, but once by a female, it was great. But for that one time, I've had many, many other times that make up for it. Once, about 2 years ago I was given a ticket for 40 km/h over the speedlimit, and a double fine, because a cop had someone pulled over, and I was "in the lane next to him" going 100 km/h. The rule is, if you are in the lane next to the cop, the speed limit reduces to 60 km/h, and if you are in the far lane, you resume are regular speed. Well, I had the passanger side tire on the dotted line, never thought anything of it then the cop comes racing behind me, pulls me over and forks over a $600 bill. Nice, especially considering my fiance and I wre on our way to pick up our new puppy.

Another time was actually sort of funny, I was pulled over on Gretz drive, with my buddy in teh passenger seat. A ghost car, a weird one at that, an older Taurus. Two guys come out in street clothes, one a dark guy with a Jamacian accent, and his pudgey white friend strolling up to the car. At this point we aren't even sure these are cops, it looks sketchy, and my friend gets a knock on his window from the white guy, he rolls it down, the cop says to my friend, "Do you know how fast you were going", my buddy is confused, he looks at the cop, "I don't f**king know, I'm not driving...". The cop stood there perplexed as to what to do next, then this jamacian guy comes up to the window and asks me for my info. I have no idea what to do, I reluctantly give him my info, and then he comes back a few minutes with my ticket. At that point I was actually happy to get a ticket, proving that they were actually cops. The single weirdest experience with cops I have ever had.

#13 Morghasm
October 16 2009, 12:35PM

what the... somehow the planned line-ups sans Hemsky leave me feeling like we're left with several 3rd lines and a fourth line. How did that happen?

Here's hoping it's not a disaster!

And @ both Ogden Bros - I agree, if SMac doesn't fit into the line-up tonight when the team is facing two uber-goons on the Wild, I don't see how he fits in at all. Combined with PQ's earlier comments this season about not wanting players who only bring fighting as a skill, it makes me wonder why he's still on the roster at this point. Mysteries abound.

#14 Bucknuck
October 16 2009, 12:37PM

I agree with OgBro, this is the game you need SmackIntyre in. Some might argue that you don't want to break up the fourth line, but in my opinion you don't have to. It's been playing so good it's the third line. Put Smack on whichever line is doing more poorly.

But since Nilsson is in... that means McIntyre is out. I hope Nilsson comes out with something to prove.

#15 Tha Legion
October 16 2009, 12:39PM

Smacknuts will draw in tonight and I've decided he will score, tha legion has spoken!!!

#16 DK0
October 16 2009, 12:39PM

Can we get a shot of Nilsson with his arms above his head all cheering with a Happiness arrow photoshopped in there? haha, that would be great.

#17 SportsDad
October 16 2009, 12:40PM

What about Staios? Is he in tonight to show the forwards how to block shots without losing a leg.

#18 blu
October 16 2009, 01:11PM

The reason our lines look to all be 3rd and 4th lines is because if our players, with few exceptions, went to most other teams in the league, they'd all be 3rd and 4th liners!

/thud

If we come out with the PQ work ethic, and everyone is hitting, we should be fine. Assuming we don't get into penalty trouble, with special teams being the one thing the wild actually have, outside of 2 huge friggin guys.

Stupid pay per view. I pay to view all the other games too ...

#19 blu
October 16 2009, 01:12PM

Just another thought along the special teams line of thinking.

Anyone else think sitting Chopper for this game might be a smart idea?

:p

#23 Dan the Man
October 16 2009, 01:35PM

Has Hemsky had this "flu" since September?

#24 freeze
October 16 2009, 01:47PM
Dan the Man wrote:

Has Hemsky had this "flu" since September?

snark aside it is possible. The flu stuck with me for at least 3 weeks and I still have a cough.

#25 Nick Dynasty
October 16 2009, 01:49PM

What's with everyone dogging Hemmer? The man has 5 points in 6 games with an even +/-. Has he been a dominating force? No, I'll give you that. But seriously, take it easy. Horcoff hasn't exactly been the best linemate for him either.

#26 I'm a Scientist!
October 16 2009, 01:50PM

I thought the "cool" hockey pool to join was the CBC one that bingofuel set up? Meh, might as well make it 4 different pools this year... should be interesting to try and keep track!

*head is spinning*

#27 blu
October 16 2009, 01:51PM
Jason Gregor wrote:

Yes, take out the guy who has been playing well. That's about as smart as the people who want to trade Hemsky after six games.

Gregor, it was entirely facetious.

As to his playing well, while he might look OK on the ice, he could play better on paper. It is difficult to even quantify all of the intangibles he brings, but I think this team needs more tangibles from him.

I'll be very interested to see how Nilsson plays tonight.

#28 Robin Brownlee
October 16 2009, 01:52PM

PPV analyst Rob Brown just provided the Wild with a quote to keep on Bob Stauffer's Oilers Lunch show on 1260.

Brown, talking about Minnesota's forwards without injured Martin Havlat, Petr Sykora and Cal Clutterbuck, characterized the rest of them as "A bunch of nobodies."

What could possibly go wrong?

#29 blu
October 16 2009, 01:52PM
I'm a Scientist! wrote:

*head is spinning*

That's exactly how I feel.

#30 Robin Brownlee
October 16 2009, 02:04PM

"For those of you in the OilersNation looking to take your involvement to the next level, I suggest entering the Team 1260 online hockey pool by clicking here. There are some great prizes to be won and as of writing this Robin Brownlee is in first place. Are you going to let him get away with that?"

Pfft. Let me get away with it? Like they have a choice. And what's deadline for signing up? It should be like, today, no?

#31 blu
October 16 2009, 02:17PM

@Robin Brownlee

Brownlees's blockquotes are weak today ...

His hockey pool skills still appear to be tack sharp though.

#32 Smokin' Ray
October 16 2009, 02:21PM

GAME DAY!!!

It's too bad we have to pay for this game. Minny vs. Oilers is always a crappy game to watch. Never mind paying for it.

I'm guessing that Nilsson is balls out for the 1st half of the 1st period. After that... invisible. I'm not liking the look of a 91 10 12 line. Is Horcoff the only one that's going to do anything tonight on that line? I'm guessing so.

This has been the strangest beginning of the season in a long time. Detroit not doing so well, Grebeshkov tied for the team lead in goals, Penner leading this team in effort and points, Brownlee leading a hockey pool. It's just crazy right now. Who knows what will happen next?!?!

#33 esa tikkanen
October 16 2009, 02:28PM

Gregor

Do you know, if Souray misses 10 games, will they be able to retroactively claim that 12% of his season to not go against the salary cap? that would be $500,000. add that to Pisani's 12% of $300,000 and we save $800,000. Add Pouliot missing 40 games, another $350 and the oilers are saving $1.1 million based on injuries, and that is assuming Staios doesn't end up missing 10 games..

#34 dubya
October 16 2009, 02:36PM

Not to burst your celebrity bubble, Jason, but cops do run plates when they pull people over ;)

#35 Jamie B.
October 16 2009, 02:41PM

So maybe if Boogaard runs around killing people Quinn will be convinced he should play MacIntyre once in a while. Yay, more concussions.

#38 blu
October 16 2009, 02:49PM
Wow. Somedays I wonder if people just try to point out negative garbage...

Yeah. Sorry. I'll shutitupjustshutitupshutitup now.

#39 freeze
October 16 2009, 02:50PM
I'm a Scientist! wrote:

*head is spinning*

Good thing you are a scientist! ;)

#40 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
October 16 2009, 02:57PM

This night keeps getting better!

Oilers hockey and Hooters wings.

#41 GSC
October 16 2009, 03:22PM

Rishaug just said on TSN that Boogaard and Scott will not be in the lineup tonight.

#42 quicksilver ballet
October 16 2009, 03:23PM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

Put me in coach.

Can i add a framed auto'd hockey jersey to the kitty.

#43 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
October 16 2009, 03:36PM

Can I still participate in the pool even though I'm from Winnipeg?

#44 I'm a Scientist!
October 16 2009, 03:38PM
freeze wrote:

Good thing you are a scientist! ;)

Might be better if I was a juggler...

*saunters away humming a circus tune*

#45 SirFozz
October 16 2009, 03:44PM

6 hours until we're all celebrating a 3-1 Oilers victory!!!!

GOOILERS!!!!!!

#46 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
October 16 2009, 03:46PM

213. Team Discovery Channel 107 -15

#47 I'm a Scientist!
October 16 2009, 03:53PM

@SirFozz

I agree with your score prediction. 1 goal from Souray and 2 from Hemsky...sorry, just a sec...

*puts his finger to his ear like he is listening to the producer through his ear piece*

Mmmhmm...hmmm...*noding to nobody*...mmmhmm...Sorry, they are what? No? Since whe...oh.

err.. New game prediction: Oilers 1 Wild 0. Our lone goal will come from Penner. There will be zero fights on the ice, one in the stands when some dude kisses some other dudes girl on the kiss cam...

#48 freeze
October 16 2009, 04:03PM

That's right, Penner will score!!! Book it!

I think Cogs will find the twine also.

Nolan always seems to score on us so I'll stick with an Oilers victory. 4-2

#49 MattL
October 16 2009, 04:10PM
Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things wrote:

Can I still participate in the pool even though I'm from Winnipeg?

Yes, but they'll remove your team half-way through the season, and replace it with an AHL pool team.

#50 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
October 16 2009, 04:13PM

I just realized how big the Minnesota Wild really are. Is it just me or is their shortest guy 6'2"?