GDB VIII: Using Oil to drown an Orca

Jason Gregor
October 19 2009 01:10PM

It’s amazing what a few wins will do for a team. The mood at Rexall this morning was shockingly loose. Hell, even Brownlee was smiling, but I digress. The players seemed relaxed and having fun, but every player you spoke with insisted this team needs to be better. They realize that they have to limit the scoring chances of the opposition, and try to generate more consistent offensive pressure.

The best news for the Oilers, and their fans, is that Daniel Sedin isn’t dressed tonight. The Sedin Sisters have owned the Oilers the past few years, especially on the PP.

Henrik Sedin has five points, all assists, in the three games since his brother broke his foot, and has eleven points to lead the Canucks.

The Canucks are 3-4 this year, and might be worse if it wasn’t for their powerplay. The Canucks have been outscored 13-12 at EV, but they have nine PP goals in 29 opportunities (31%).

The Oilers, however, have been winning games due to their solid five-on-five play. The Oilers have out-scored the opposition 22-13, with Dustin Penner and Gilbert Brule leading the way. Penner has the 3rd most points in the league while EV, and Brule is 4th.

Hemsky game-time decision

After spending the weekend in bed with the flu, Ales Hemsky was on the ice this morning. Hemsky, who is normally the first guy off the ice after practice, stayed out late doing some drills, to see his body would respond. He will be a game time decision; if he plays Robert Nilsson will come out. Right now it seems 50/50 if he’ll play.

Steve Staios did some light skating by himself, but he is still day-to-day, while Sheldon Souray is much farther away. You can’t rush a player back, and considering the style of play these two play, I’d guess the training staff will be very cautious before giving them the green light to return.

The good news is that the Oilers are getting a chance to see Taylor Chorney. Chorney could be the key, if Steve Tambellini thinks about moving one of his offensive defensemen. If they feel Chorney is ready to replace one of their top guys, then Tambellini might be less hesitant to make a move.

Quotes of the day

“I think Don Cherry brainwashed me. I have all the Rock 'em Sock 'em videos and he was always saying act like you’ve scored before.” But if the best goal scorer in the league can celebrate maybe I will try one soon.”

Penner had a laugh when we were talking about goal celebrations. Penner is very subdued in his celebrations, compared to Brule or Sam Gagner. I asked him if he thought about jumping up against the glass like many do, “I’m worried I might go through it,” he laughed.

Penner also said confidence is the biggest difference in his game. “Last year I wouldn’t have carried the puck into the zone and made plays, but now I feel I can make those plays. I just need to find out how to keep it going”.

“I can’t even find one right now," Jason Strudwick laughed when asked about getting that first tilt out of the way.

What about Derek Boogaard asking him last game? “I’d fight him, but if I did I’d be going into it looking for a tie, and that is no way to enter a fight.”

“He has the fastest hands I’ve seen in a long time. Guys around the league will need to take notice or he’ll surprise them. He is very entertaining as a fighter,” Darcy Hordichuk on teammate Rick Rypien.

Rypien is not a former gold-glove boxer — his dad was. But he spent lots of time training with his dad and brother and it is obvious when he drops the mitts. Rypien is top-three middleweights in the league, and Louie Debrusk thinks Rypien is pound for pound the toughest guy in the league.

Final Thought

Click here to see what the competition's saying.

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#1 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
October 19 2009, 01:13PM

Smid is a game time now too? How does that work if he is out?

#2 The Pestival
October 19 2009, 01:14PM

There is no team I despise more than the Canucks, can't wait for tonight! I think this might be the year we start owning the Nucks again. Hopefully it doesn't take too long for Stone and Brule to introduce themselves to the last standing Sister.

#3 Shapeman
October 19 2009, 01:16PM

FIRSTly i must say that i am fairly impressed with the play of the oil so far this year. They have been much more exciting and scoring way more goals. Lets hope PDP can keep this up and that Hemmer gets going soon. GO OILERS!!!

#4 Shapeman
October 19 2009, 01:16PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was first /cry

#5 Robin Brownlee
October 19 2009, 01:17PM

I wasn't smiling. That was heartburn.

#6 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
October 19 2009, 01:18PM

@Robin Brownlee

That must've been some smile.

#7 Victoria
October 19 2009, 01:21PM

"Khabibulin struggles more v. the Canucks than any other team, he is only 6-16-3 with a 3.39 GAA. He hopes to change that tonight."

But then, he's been great against the Flames in previous years and now he seems to suck against them. Maybe that trend will continue.

#8 The Towel Boy
October 19 2009, 01:25PM

GOILERS!!!

#9 JRyanMac
October 19 2009, 01:30PM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

I wasn't smiling. That was heartburn.

Maybe that's whats been bothering Hemsky too...

#10 freeze
October 19 2009, 01:31PM
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

Smid is a game time now too? How does that work if he is out?

wait, what? where?

#11 Hemmertime
October 19 2009, 01:32PM

4-2 Oilers, Penner with 2.

#12 Vaclav
October 19 2009, 01:36PM

Anyone in the know heard if Hemsky's "flu" has actually being an issue with his groin that's been ongoing since TC?

#13 Shanye Gretz
October 19 2009, 01:42PM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

I wasn't smiling. That was heartburn.

Aren't you missing the key component of that affliction?

#14 Oilersordeath
October 19 2009, 01:46PM

I hate the fracken Canucks more than anything!! I really hope Smac is playing tonight to pound some Canuck a$$ like Rypen and Hordichuk who got knocked the f$%k out in Calgary!! Yeah!! I think a great intro song for when teams hit the ice would be "I will kill you!! -Cannibal Corpse

#15 Chris.
October 19 2009, 01:52PM

Can't wait for gametime. Even the lackluster Oiler team of last season managed a higher level of emotion against these clowns: Should be a great game. Here's to hoping Luongo's poor SV% and the Oiler high shooting% don't begin their correction tonight!

#16 Eric Johnson
October 19 2009, 02:00PM

great interview by Statuffer on the Oilers web site with Dustin Penner.

He really sounds like he more than deserves that "A" he was wearing last game. What a transformation of a player.

#17 SirFozz
October 19 2009, 02:00PM

@The Towel Boy

Very good point.

GOOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#18 I'm a Scientist!
October 19 2009, 02:01PM

*looks at the screen of the newly fixed SuperComputer in a bit of disbelief*

Says here...*hits to screen, just to be certain* that the Game will be a high scoring one - 7 to 5 for the oilers. Penner will have 1 goal and 1 assist (obviously), Strudwick, Gagner, Comrie, O'Sullivan and Jacques will each have one. Stone will pick up his first part way through the second period. Luongo will get pulled after letting in 4 weak goals early in the game. There will also be a number of fights, and the camera man will keep showing the same super hot chick: Section 102, Row 18, Seat 5. Should be a fun one...

#19 Eric Johnson
October 19 2009, 02:03PM

Oilers 5-2

Penner with a goal and an assist. Gagner with 2 assists and Stone with his first NHL goal. O'Sullivan, Gilbert and big JFJ with the other markers.

#20 Eric Johnson
October 19 2009, 02:04PM
I'm a Scientist! wrote:

*looks at the screen of the newly fixed SuperComputer in a bit of disbelief*

DUDE, did your super computer hack my brain??!!!!

(sits in corner with tinfoil hat on, rocking back and forth with fear)

#21 Amber McCormick
October 19 2009, 02:08PM

Statistically, there's very little reason to think we won't walk away with victory tonight. Vancouver in 13th place? Correct me if I'm wrong but it was speculated that they would end up in first or second...at this point, although early, it doesn't look good. Being short a Sedin isn't going to help. Goilers!

#22 I'm a Scientist!
October 19 2009, 02:11PM
Eric Johnson wrote:

DUDE, did your super computer hack my brain??!!!!

(sits in corner with tinfoil hat on, rocking back and forth with fear)

Yes. Didn't you notice that network cable coming out of your head? If you follow it, you will find my precious SuperComputer.

#23 Eric Johnson
October 19 2009, 02:13PM

@I'm a Scientist!

Wow that really is a "super" computer.

Are those racing stripes and a spoiler?!

#24 BRHL Commish
October 19 2009, 02:14PM

5-3 Oilers

Gagner with 2 Penner with 1 Stortini with 1 Mr. Lube with 1

Canuck fans cry in street

#26 dustin timberlake
October 19 2009, 02:16PM

Hey, I'm a flames fan, but love your site. I was just curious: who do all of you oiler guys hate more, calgary or vancouver? To be honest, although I am 'supposed to hate' the oilers, I have a hard time with it. Everyone on your team is pretty likable, and usually are pretty entertaining on the ice. I would assume Oiler fans are probably not too pumped on the Flames after those two bullsh*t wins Calgary scraped up against Edmonton a couple weeks ago, but beyond that, what is the general consensus from Oilers Nation regarding their western Canadian rivals?

#27 Chris.
October 19 2009, 02:18PM

@I'm a Scientist!

If I take the time to walk around to section 102 there had better be a super hot chick in row 18 seat 5...

#28 I'm a Scientist!
October 19 2009, 02:23PM
Eric Johnson wrote:

Wow that really is a "super" computer.

Are those racing stripes and a spoiler?!

Hey what the...

*suddenly realized he is not alone in The Lab*

How did you get past the Guardian Unicorn?

GadZukes!

But, since you are here... yes, racing stripes, spoiler and a Lindsay Lohan screen saver... no big deal.

*puffs his chest out with pride*

#29 Victoria
October 19 2009, 02:23PM

@dustin timberlake

Canucks. But I live in Vancouver... the fans here are idiots.

#30 I'm a Scientist!
October 19 2009, 02:23PM

Just watch the camera... the truth will be revealed!

#31 I'm a Scientist!
October 19 2009, 02:24PM

Opps, that was in reply to Chris...

#32 Eric Johnson
October 19 2009, 02:24PM

@dustin timberlake

Canucks and Oilers have had some very spirited games over the past few years and there is a tangible dislike of each other by the players themselves it seems.

So yeah we hate the Canucks. But with Iggy's little play last game I think itl ignite the hatred down QE II.

No matter how much Oiler fans hate the Canucks, Flames will always be the public enemy #1 just due to proximity. Thats my 2 cents anyway.

#33 freeze
October 19 2009, 02:26PM

@dustin timberlake

For the last few years I despised the Canucks more. Mostly because of their goalie and their fans (with that stupid Loooo chant). Not to mention the losing...

Calgary earned some hate points with Keenan because it is his fault Lou is in our division for the next 112 years.

#34 I'm a Scientist!
October 19 2009, 02:26PM

@dustin timberlake

Canucks. Mostly because of the twins...and the fact that they signed Sundin last year. What a joke. Oh yeah, and they have HOW many Stanley Cups?

#35 rindog
October 19 2009, 02:28PM
dustin timberlake wrote:

Is that maybe one of the problems with our team?

Are our players too "likable" and not big enough pests/agitators?

Maybe we need a few more players that the opposition has a "hate" for?

#36 Hemmertime
October 19 2009, 02:28PM

@Eric Johnson

Canucks games fun to watch and highly spirited. However most of us will cheer on Van in playoffs if we do not make it or eliminated. Whereas ABC applies for Cowtown.

#37 Eric Johnson
October 19 2009, 02:28PM
I'm a Scientist! wrote:

Hey what the...

*suddenly realized he is not alone in The Lab*

How did you get past the Guardian Unicorn?

GadZukes!

*puffs his chest out with pride*

The Lohan screen saver is the Bee's knees!

#38 No Clue
October 19 2009, 02:30PM

GO OIL!!

@ dustin timberlake - I hate the Lames but I also hate the Nuks. I would say that i hate them equal like, but more when they play the Oil.

Oil-5 Nuks-3

#39 Ender
October 19 2009, 02:32PM
dustin timberlake wrote:

The Flamers are torn, because even though there is a longstanding rivalry in the 'Battle of Alberta', Calgary has (arguably) acquired reasons to hate Vancouver even more.

It's a little more cut and dried with Edmonton. For awhile, we hated both Colorado and Dallas because they kept knocking us out of the playoffs, seemingly by turns. By now, though, it's been so long since we've been in the playoffs with any regularity, I think that we've realized that the Avalanche and the Stars might not have been the real problem.

Long story short, we have no one left to hate more than you. You get our undivided hate attention. Aren't you lucky?

#40 EricOG
October 19 2009, 02:33PM
dustin timberlake wrote:

Well, you guys are closer and there's more history so in my book, you guys are first trhough 4th. As for the Canucks, they are just a lot of hype and kicking and screaming and things like that. So I don't really think much of them. How many significant tittle banners do they have anyway.

Tonight, the Oilers bury them farther in the standings with a 4-1 win. Bullin with 40 saves and Penner with a goal and two points.

And your damm horn does not help things at all....

#41 Ogden Brother
October 19 2009, 02:37PM
dustin timberlake wrote:

Canucks are #30 in my mind.

#42 Shanye Gretz
October 19 2009, 02:40PM
Victoria wrote:

Canucks. But I live in Vancouver... the fans here are idiots.

I live in Vancouver now too... and I agree completely.

#43 Tracie
October 19 2009, 02:42PM
dustin timberlake wrote:

Hands down I hate the 'nucks more then the flamers! How can we hate the flames when 99% of their players are from Edmonton?? It's like cheering for the young Oilers fans!

#44 jayoilfan
October 19 2009, 02:43PM

@dustin timberlake

I live in Calgary and since '04 I've actually come to like the Flames, I even watch their games from time to time when the Oil are not on the boobtube. I also really respect Iggy and his overall work ethic, I beleive he did not hurt Souray on purpose, and Souray is my favourite Oiler. Being an Oil fan in Cow Town can be hard but I've met some good Flames fans that I have a pretty good rivaly with and they seem to have their heads on straight in respect to the Oil. I mean they can be just as criticle of the Flames as we are on this website of our beloved Oilers, you know, true fans.

As for the Canucks. I hate them much more now. Maybe it's because of their braindead fans or the Sedin sisters. I know several Vancouver fans who sincerely beleive their team is the next cup winner. Poor, misguided simpletons.

This is just my take on the western canadian stupidity amoungst fans and the teams they cheer for.

#45 Morghasm
October 19 2009, 02:46PM

Between his play and his interviews, I think Penner is well on his way to winning back the hearts of Oilers fans... It's great to see.

Gregor, what's the deal with Peckham these days? Is he still hurt / out of commission? I thought he played fairly well when called up last year, and expected him to get the long look for 7th dman this season. Any news on whether he'll make it back into the mix any time soon?

#46 Eric Johnson
October 19 2009, 02:49PM

I think we can all agree that the Canuck fans are the most retarded in the country. 2 wins in a row and everybody is on the cup bandwagon, 2 losses and nobody watches the games.

The worst part is they think they know something about hockey and spew out retarded things like this, (I actually heard this from a Canuck fan)

Roberto Luongo had just kicked out a juicy rebound and I commented that Luongo was having trouble controlling rebounds that night and he said "that wasn't a rebound that was a pass!"... fricken retards...

#47 Vaclav
October 19 2009, 02:51PM
Jason Gregor wrote:

He has been sick. He looked like crap. Whether is groin is sore is another issue, but his groin didn't give him the flu I can tell you that.

***Try to refrain from comments regarding what ailments a groin can give you***

Ooh. My bad. I didn't mean to infer that Hemsky was sick with the newer and more virulent H1N2 = The Groin Flu.

#48 Morghasm
October 19 2009, 02:53PM

@jayoilfan

Dude, you must be living in a different Calgary than I am... I've lived here since 05 and found that Flames fans are the worst for bandwagon-jumping and complete ignorance when it comes to actual hockey.

Last Oilers-Flames game I attended in Calgary, one fan actually jeered me with "Oilers fan suck, like, SO much." Wow. Sadly, that's about as in-depth as most of the Flames fans' hockey comments get. Although the fact that they all started watching in 2004 (hence the city-wide matching jerseys) might explain part of the ignorance.

In the 4 years I've lived in Calgary, I've grown to hate the Flames more with every year, mostly cause of their fans. Canucks on the other hand I mostly pity - silly little canucks fans, so much ego based on nothing at all...

#49 The Fish
October 19 2009, 02:53PM

@dustin timberlake

Can't stand Vancouver. Those twins are the creepiest dorks these eyes have ever seen.

#50 Paq Twinn
October 19 2009, 03:00PM

Can't watch tonights game? Follow my Live TweetCast at twitter.com/paqtwinn or on oilersjambalaya.blogspot.com. GOILERS!!!