GDB IX: This team is sick

Jason Gregor
October 22 2009 11:08AM

The fifth place Oilers take on the seventh place Columbus Blue Jackets tonight. I’m positive that is the first time we’ve ever been able to write that sentence, as both teams are off to good starts. The Oilers, 5-2-1 are two points back of the Flames, while the Jackets, 5-2-0 are one point behind Chicago in the Central with two games in hand.

Gilbert Brule didn’t skate this morning and it seems unlikely that he will play tonight. Mike Comrie is also under the weather a bit, but word is they think he will be able to gut it out tonight. Ladislav Smid was back on the ice and it looks like he’ll go.

With Brule out, that means Steve MacIntyre will draw in, but expect a mixed bag of lines tonight.

Line rushes didn’t show us anything to tip us off. The new combinations of Dustin Penner/Sam Gagner/Ales Hemsky and Mike Comrie/Shawn Horcoff/Patrick O’Sullivan will be used, but with Brule out they might have to juggle and move Comrie into the middle.

We might see:

• Penner – Gagner – Hemsky
  • Nilsson – Horcoff – O'Sullivan
  • Jacques – Cogliano – Moreau
  • MacIntyre – Comrie – Stortini

That is just a guess, but I don’t think you’ll see four set lines tonight. And if Mike Comrie gets worse who will they call up? Jordan Eberle is dominating the WHL and the Regina Pats have today and tomorrow off. Eberle has eleven goals, nineteen points so far this year. Regina is a much closer flight than Springfield so you never know.

This is the Oilers 7th home game out of their first nine, and a win tonight would get them the good start at home they wanted with a 5-1-1 record.

The Blue Jackets are 2-2 on the road this year, but in two of those games they’ve given up six goals, losing 6-3 to both San Jose and Calgary. In their other five games the Jackets have given up six goals, so when they are on they are very good defensively, but if the Oilers can get to them early they’ve shown a tendency to give up a lot.

At the end of practice Zack Stortini was taking draws. Will Pat Quinn put a grind line of Stortini, MacIntyre and Moreau together tonight at times? We will see. If that happens, then Cogliano moves up between Nilsson and Jacques, which might work.

It is all speculation right now as to what the lines might look like, and I really don’t think it matters that much to be honest.

Regardless of who plays together, if they continue to play Quinn’s aggressive style they should be alright.

And Khabibulin left the ice right after practice, so he will get the start tonight.

Lunchtime Update!

Well my idea of Eberle won't happen. The Oilers confirmed that the flu bug is not a good enough reason to get an emergency call up for Eberle. They looked into and the league says that this case wouldn't fall under the guidelines of emergency call up. So no Eberle.

I was correct though with my hunch of Stortini in the middle.

He will play centre between Moreau and MacIntyre. Stortini played some centre in junior and his first year in the AHL he played centre in Iowa and Milwaukee. He also played the middle this preseason against Tampa Bay. So he has played there before.

Cogliano will move up and centre Jacques and Nilsson.

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#1 freeze
October 22 2009, 11:13AM

Yikes, hopefully the troops have enough gas in the tank to put up a fight! I Khabby is ready to stop a ton of rubber.

Oilers 3 - BJs 2

#2 freeze
October 22 2009, 11:14AM

crap. *I hope khabby is ready to stop a ton of rubber.

#3 Chris.
October 22 2009, 11:17AM

This game makes me nervous... If Columbus maintains that tight checking style and the "skill guys" get frustrated and start to go solo: there will be a loss. Am interested in seeing Garon again.

#4 Dyckster
October 22 2009, 11:24AM

We need Radar, Nurse Houlahan, Klinger, Major Charles Emerson Winchester III, and Hawkeye Pierce to get us through this.

We have incoming!

#5 blu
October 22 2009, 11:25AM

I think we grind out a tough win. The hero will be Grebby. 2 goals and a helper.

Bulin puts on a clinic.

I really hope that we body check everything that moves, and a few things that don't.

#6 Tha Legion
October 22 2009, 11:25AM

Yeah going 3-2 oilers and yes their will be a goalie fight

#7 freeze
October 22 2009, 11:26AM

The oilers should cough or sneeze on the opposition at every faceoff to get them off their game.

#8 The Towel Boy
October 22 2009, 11:30AM

@Dyckster

It's not too often you can reference M*A*S*H in every day conversation. I applaud you.

#9 OILERSORDEATH
October 22 2009, 11:31AM

I have a baaaad feeling about tonight, I'm going with a 3-2 loss for the sickly Defencless Oil. Plus they a superstar named Rick Nash, we have.......oh yeah Hemsky who shows up sometimes.

#10 Smokin' Ray
October 22 2009, 11:35AM

@Gregor:

How is that possible that they could call up a guy from juniors (Eberle) without calling up a guy in the AHL first? What are the rules?

Glad to see Big Mac get a shot. It's about time.

#11 Woogie
October 22 2009, 11:35AM

On a side note... Thank god...

Schremp did not play last night. I'm not sure if he was a healthy scratch or not. If he can't make the Islanders line up maybe just maybe he can make the leafs

He's stats.

GP 5 G:0 A:1 -2 TOI: 14.09

#12 AlbertaRanger
October 22 2009, 11:36AM

Finally, Horcoff and Hemsky have been split. I don't think this is a bad thing, as this move could make Horcoff smell the roses so to speak.

Speaking of the line-ups, it's really good to see that MacIntyre is in the line-up tonight. I am hoping he also dresses for the line-up against Calgary because like the Old Kingon Proverb goes, "Revenge is a dish best served cold."

#13 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
October 22 2009, 11:37AM
Smokin' Ray wrote:

@Gregor:

Glad to see Big Mac get a shot. It's about time.

Has something to do with lack of time and it being an emergency. You could call someone up from the UofA that isn't even your property if you wanted to.

#14 Smokin' Ray
October 22 2009, 11:38AM
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

Well then....

I can be there in no time. PICK ME OILERS!

#15 AlbertaRanger
October 22 2009, 11:39AM
Chris. wrote:

Very good point.

#16 Paq Twinn
October 22 2009, 11:41AM

OK I know they're not set in stone, but it's refreshing to see that Horc and Hemmer have under gone successful surgery in the these last 2 days off. They've been joined at the hip for too long now. Can't wait to see Pens, Gags, and Hemmer together, and that 2nd line possibility of Comrie, Horc, and Patty-O.

Oilers win 4-2 (this time we get the empty netter), Pens with 2G, Gags 1G+1A, Hemmer with 3A, Patty-O pots the empty netter.

#17 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
October 22 2009, 11:42AM

I think Bucky is ahead of the average Joe

#18 Dyckster
October 22 2009, 11:43AM
The Towel Boy wrote:

There's probably more than a couple of regular posters on this site that are saying; WTF is M*A*S*H!

I definately aged myself a little.

#19 bingofuel
October 22 2009, 11:45AM

***UPDATE***

Gregor just sent me some new info... see his update at the bottom of a story.

#20 The Towel Boy
October 22 2009, 11:50AM

Awwwwwwww...No Eberle!? Booooooo....

#21 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
October 22 2009, 11:54AM
bingofuel wrote:

***UPDATE***

Gregor just sent me some new info... see his update at the bottom of a story.

Did he send you the picture of Brownlee as a cub scout or boy scout?

#22 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
October 22 2009, 11:56AM

I have to say that Macintyre, Stortini and Moreau would be a line I'd like to see against Calgary.

#23 IgorUlanov
October 22 2009, 12:11PM

On a totally unrelated note, anybody else glad our 'bad' luck in the UFA pool/ trade block over the past few years has actually turned into a positive?

Nylander- Sent down on a $4.875mil conditioning stint.

Hossa- Shoulder injury, out for the start of the year.

Jagr- Would have taken a roster spot away from Brule/Jacques/Comrie or most likely facilitated a Penner trade

Heatley- Smid: Top 5 +/- in the league. Penner: Looking like he did in Anaheim. Cogliano: Playing pretty much every role asked of him so far very well.

#24 AlbertaRanger
October 22 2009, 12:12PM
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

Heck, I would like to see that line against Iginla's line.

#25 Smokin' Ray
October 22 2009, 12:26PM
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

I think we'll call this the low minutes line? This line could be scary... In both sense of the word.

#26 Smokin' Ray
October 22 2009, 12:33PM

Oh... It's GAME DAY!!!

GOILERS!

3-2 Oilers win. A harsh and last minute win, but a win nonetheless.

#27 David S
October 22 2009, 12:50PM

Cogliano and Nilsson together?

*Closes eyes and rubs hands together in fervent anticipation*

#28 David S
October 22 2009, 12:51PM

@Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach

Only question is, who'd play with Stortini and Moreau when Macintyre gets the game suspension 5 minutes in?

#29 Ogden Brother
October 22 2009, 12:52PM
Chris. wrote:

Ya, the real test starts tonight. BJ's, Nucks/Flames back to back, Avs, Wings and Bruins to end the month.

I'm happy with the play so far, and certainly happy with the record. But the fact remains: The shooting and SV (to a lesser extent) %'s aren't maintainable and the team is beating up on losing teams.

4-0-0 against sub .500 teams

1-2-1 against .500+ teams

#30 David S
October 22 2009, 12:56PM

You win all the games you should win and some of the games you shouldn't and you'll be OK.

#31 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
October 22 2009, 12:59PM
David S wrote:

There's a lot of truth to that. If they can consistently put away the Phoenixes and the Torontos of the league they can afford to lose a few against the Chicagos and the Pittsburghs.

#32 OilerLoverFlameoutHater
October 22 2009, 01:00PM

It's GAME DAY BIATCHES!!!!! GOILERS!!!!! 4-2 for oil

#33 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
October 22 2009, 01:01PM

There's a lot of people predicting the 4-2 win. I'm going to go off the board and call it a 6-5 win in OT.

#34 offside
October 22 2009, 01:15PM

Why don't they call up Robbie Shre......... Oh yeah.

#35 Heatly
October 22 2009, 01:16PM

Oliers 3, Jackets 1

4 line gets a goal.

Let's go OILERS!!!!!!!!!!!

#36 Petr's Jofa
October 22 2009, 01:19PM

I have a feeling that tonight is the where the roof starts to fall in.

Flu or no, Columbus has a better winning % than the Oilers. They have only lost to SJ & Calgary so I think this match is a coin flip on most nights. 4-1 Columbus. :(

Please note that I thought similar things when the flu-riden Oilers played Anahiem in the 06 playoffs where I was proven to be a pessimistic know-nothing.

#37 Bucknuck
October 22 2009, 01:23PM

If they bring up Reddox does he have to clear waivers, or is it only when they put send him to the minors?

#38 Heavyd
October 22 2009, 01:28PM

Can you wacth this game on the internet?

#39 Colin
October 22 2009, 01:38PM

Is this TSN or sportsnet tonight? 7pm start I assume?

#40 lego
October 22 2009, 01:47PM
Ogden Brother wrote:

4-0-0 against sub .500 teams

1-2-1 against .500+ teams

Well that's refreshing, under MacT we had a losing record against sub 500 teams!

#41 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
October 22 2009, 01:48PM
Colin wrote:

Is this TSN or sportsnet tonight? 7pm start I assume?

7:30 sportsnet. I sure hope there isn't a game before that goes to OT.

#42 smiliegirl15
October 22 2009, 01:51PM

How is it that so many people can spell Iginla correctly but not Gagner?

Penner and Gagner are still healthy and so is Khabi so I am hoping to pull off a win or at least a close game. It's going test our defense without question, and they have been questionable so far.

#43 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
October 22 2009, 01:55PM
smiliegirl15 wrote:

How is it that so many people can spell Iginla correctly but not Gagner?

People are spelling 'Gagne' correctly, for the most part - that's just not Sam Gagner's name. Ha!

Having Smid back should help. If they're going to try for a win they're going to come out with bruises.

#44 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
October 22 2009, 02:00PM

Gregor

These guys that are back in such as Smid, Hemsky and Comrie are they 100%? Is there others on the team that are ill as well that we don't know about?

#45 Rogue
October 22 2009, 02:04PM

5-2 Oil. Patty O 2,Penner, Comrie, Gagner, Torres gets dizzy looking up and falls asleep on bench.

#46 The Towel Boy
October 22 2009, 02:05PM
smiliegirl15 wrote:

How is it that so many people can spell Iginla correctly but not Gagner?

I don't know what you mean. I always spell Igimila's name correctly. Goneyay is not a problem for me either.

#47 KayleW
October 22 2009, 02:07PM

@bingofuel I filled out my "pledge of allegiance" to the mighty Oilernation a couple of months ago, at the time I was supposed to receive email confirmation of my account and password. So far I have never been able to log in, today I tried to re-set my account it says my email and username are already in use, when I try to have my password sent to my email address it gives me an error message. I was hoping maybe you could burn some incense and drink some goat blood (not Grebs since the Oil can't afford another player down) and remove the spell that the interwebs seem to have cast on me and all that is my Oiler fanatacism!

#48 SirFozz
October 22 2009, 02:08PM

It seems like it has been like FOREVER since they like last played. Hurry up 7:30pm.

6-3 Oilers (Pennerx2, Gagner, Vish, Cogs, Nilsson)

GOOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#49 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
October 22 2009, 02:09PM
The Towel Boy wrote:

A friend of mine who doesn't watch a lot of hockey was watching an Oilers/Flames game awhile back...

Him: "Boy, that Jarro is one hell of a player."

Me: "Jarro?"

Him: "Yeah, Jarro. Y'know - Jarro McGinla."

Me: "..."

To this day we haven't let him live that one down.

#50 Morghasm
October 22 2009, 02:10PM
Heavyd wrote:

Can you wacth this game on the internet?

You can watch it at http://atdhe.net/