GDB X: Another provincial civil war

bingofuel
October 24 2009 04:55PM

Watching the Oilers come back from a 4-1 deficit last game against the Blue Jackets was really something. Like Gregor and Brownlee alluded to yesterday, it's been pretty unreal watching PDP blow fans, hangers-on and bandwagon-jumpers away. Even Hemsky came alive!

And this gives me hope.

Now let's hope this fekkin' flu bug that's knocked Gilbert Brule and Mike Comrie out of the line-up has run its course. I'd hate for hope to fade.

Battle of October

Can someone please explain to me why we've played the Flames twice since the beginning of the season? Tonight marks the third iteration of the Battle of Alberta. After this we don't play Calgary again until after Christmas — twice more before the New Year. After that, we play them one more time in January and that's it for the regular season.

Won't get fooled Iginla

After the knock-down blow Iginla dealt Souray in the last Battle of Alberta, there was a lot of fuss kicked up by, well, just about everyone. Was it deliberate? Will Pat Quinn's curmudgeonly ramblings result in more fines? Should Ignila have been fined too? Is Bulin staying hydrated?

The real question I think everyone wants an answer to is what's going to happen in tonight's game. Whether you believe Ignila's hit was dirty and deliberate or not (deliberate hit, yes, but surely he didn't intend to injury Souray to the extent that he did), you have to wonder what the Oilers have in mind for Iggy tonight.

A good, old-fashioned beat-down? And who rolls up their sleeves to get this done?

We need answers

Thankfully, we needn't wait much longer for answers to at least some of these questions. And although the Flames and the Oilers share the exact same record so far this season (6-2-1), I'd say the Flames have more to worry about than we do... The Oilers are playing spirited hockey.

And it's a blast to watch.

Oh yeah, check out what the competition has to say about tonight's game.

243fa199ff6efc362bf29a17e950b47e
Bingofuel is the handsome cyborg who pulls all the levers behind the curtains of the OilersNation. When he isn't running the site, he's plugged into a wall socket, recharging. Or Brownlee and Wanye are playing "keep away" with him. He gets little to no respect.
Avatar
#251 Crust
October 24 2009, 10:47PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Yes, Rosscreek, I imagine the only time you are on top is when Calgary wins. ha ha

Avatar
#252 Archaeologuy
October 24 2009, 10:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Ah, i just turned to Talladega Nights and it inspired me.

From this point on I will be reffering to Gilbert and Grebeshkov as Dr. Quinn and Medicine Woman.

Avatar
#253 TonyT
October 24 2009, 10:51PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
RossCreekNation wrote:

Damn it feels good to be up on it!

Calgary played well, I give them credit. Doesn't change the fact that the Oilers were short one whole line but I give credit nonetheless. For the record, Horcoff has the death touch right now, I'd rather play shorthanded than have him on the ice.

Avatar
#254 Librarian Mike
October 24 2009, 10:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Archaeologuy wrote:

Ah, i just turned to Talladega Nights and it inspired me.

From this point on I will be reffering to Gilbert and Grebeshkov as Dr. Quinn and Medicine Woman.

And just like that:

http://egg.org.au/gallery/d/935-1/You+Win+an+Internet.jpg

Avatar
#255 Zamboni Driver
October 24 2009, 10:53PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Funny after that, the one thing that jumps out...

Macintyre....seems like a good guy.

But 'buh-bye' comes to mind.

One game, one shift and get your clock cleaned...with a coach who doesn't like your kind anyway.

hope he can catch on some where, but....not here.

Avatar
#256 Robin Brownlee
October 24 2009, 11:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
TonyT wrote:

How many more games before Gilbert actually starts to lose value?

There's no hurry on Gilbert, especially with Souray and Staios out.

Gilbert has skill. Gilbert is a good player. BUT, I've seen 100 guys like him: a guy with good size who isn't physical and who tends to get jittery in games when the intensity picks up.

Gilbert can look like all-star material in a no-hitter, but in games like this he gets happy feet and hands and coughs it up. The numbers guys can say what they want about him -- and they did last season when I stuck with my guns even as he was putting up points -- but I know what I see and I've seen it before.

Avatar
#257 RossCreekNation
October 24 2009, 11:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I'm gonna throw some names out there for D. Like I said, I'd move both Gilbert & Grebeshkov. Here's some (potentially available) D I may have some interest in for the Oil...

Shaonne Morrisonn

Barrett Jackman

Zbynek Michalek

Mark Streit

Dan Hamhuis

Matt Greene

Bryan Allen

Rostislav Klesla

Scott Hannan

Cam Barker

Tim Gleason

Ron Hainsey

Avatar
#258 Shawn Cronin
October 24 2009, 11:05PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

What a difference it makes when Stone & Brule are out, Jacques is flu bitten and Stortini is forced to play as much as he did (16:28). The grit and aggression was missing on 3/4 of the lines and it showed.......

Avatar
#259 Librarian Mike
October 24 2009, 11:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Robin Brownlee

Based on your description, he sounds like the 2nd coming of Marc-Andre Bergeron. Not a good sign.

Avatar
#260 TonyT
October 24 2009, 11:09PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
RossCreekNation wrote:

I'm gonna throw some names out there for D. Like I said, I'd move both Gilbert & Grebeshkov. Here's some (potentially available) D I may have some interest in for the Oil...

Shaonne Morrisonn

Barrett Jackman

Zbynek Michalek

Mark Streit

Dan Hamhuis

Matt Greene

Bryan Allen

Rostislav Klesla

Scott Hannan

Cam Barker

Tim Gleason

Ron Hainsey

Are you Eklund? You can't just throw out names. Especially when half that list is not "available". Barker for Gilbert is highway robbery on Edmonton's end. Go back to drinking your happy juice after your regular season win.

Avatar
#261 RossCreekNation
October 24 2009, 11:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@TonyT

Dude, I never said that I was talking straight up swaps for any of these guys. And by potentially available, I guess I meant I wasn't gonna count obvious unavailable guys like Weber or Seabrook. I threw some names out to talk about. Bitter much? Coward.

Avatar
#262 Shawn Cronin
October 24 2009, 11:23PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Most interesting stat brought up all night. Tied for the league league in giveaways with Hal (Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overated) Gill, is Grebeshkov with 16. Gilbert is 17th with 10. 27 between the two of them in 10 games. That is scary. Just in time for Halloween. I present to you, The Scare Pair.

Avatar
#263 RossCreekNation
October 24 2009, 11:23PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Penner no-showed After Hours?

Avatar
#264 BarryS
October 24 2009, 11:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

It is highly unlikely their will be any major trades until after the olympics. As for G & G they could be split up and so could S & S making two G & S pairs. One tough d and one soft d per pair. Smid has become a good tough defenceman and perhaps could help his new partner.

Avatar
#265 Shawn Cronin
October 24 2009, 11:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Make that 26 giveaways in 10 games, bad math at this hour of the night.

Avatar
#266 Librarian Mike
October 24 2009, 11:38PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Dan the Man wrote:

Gilbert, Grebeshkov and Giveaway all start with G...coincidence? I think not.

You forgot 'Goat'.

Avatar
#267 Travis Dakin
October 24 2009, 11:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Robin Brownlee wrote:

There's no hurry on Gilbert, especially with Souray and Staios out.

Gilbert has skill. Gilbert is a good player. BUT, I've seen 100 guys like him: a guy with good size who isn't physical and who tends to get jittery in games when the intensity picks up.

Gilbert can look like all-star material in a no-hitter, but in games like this he gets happy feet and hands and coughs it up. The numbers guys can say what they want about him -- and they did last season when I stuck with my guns even as he was putting up points -- but I know what I see and I've seen it before.

Did what you see before used to wear a number 5 and happen to be alergic to oxygen?

Avatar
#268 RossCreekNation
October 24 2009, 11:47PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I'm liking Minnesota's new jersey's - quite an improvement.

Avatar
#269 Robin Brownlee
October 25 2009, 12:21AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Travis Dakin wrote:

Did what you see before used to wear a number 5 and happen to be alergic to oxygen?

Yes, Poti is among the many, but I'm also talking about WHL guys who never made it, NHL guys etc. Strip away all the various skills that different types of players bring and there are still two categories I look at: players who get better when the going gets heavy and those who tend to wilt. Unless a player is so unbelievable in every other area -- Gilbert isn't that guy -- then I'm wary of players who fall into the second category. And, no, I'm not saying every guy has to be a monster physically, a hellacious hitter or a guy who drops the gloves 15 times a year. I just don't like guys who unravel when it gets hot and heavy.

Nick Lidstrom (top of the scale) doesn't scare anybody physically, and you can try to pound him all you want, but his game doesn't change. He never flinches. He never panics. He buckles down and sticks it to you with what he does well. I prefer guys who get more determined when the going gets tough, not guys who go the other way.

Avatar
#270 TonyT
October 25 2009, 12:29AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
RossCreekNation wrote:

Dude, I never said that I was talking straight up swaps for any of these guys. And by potentially available, I guess I meant I wasn't gonna count obvious unavailable guys like Weber or Seabrook. I threw some names out to talk about. Bitter much? Coward.

Coward

–noun 1. a person who lacks courage in facing danger, difficulty, opposition, pain, etc.; a timid or easily intimidated person.

–adjective 2. lacking courage; very fearful or timid. 3. proceeding from or expressive of fear or timidity: a coward cry.

Try not to throw words around like you do "trade options". Bitter much? Yeah, the Oilers just lost to their archrival. People put up with you (a Flames fan) because for the most part at least you're on topic. However, coming on to Oilersnation (a pro Oilers forum) and gloating after a (flu assisted) win is downright pompous. There's a reason why TSN.ca lists the Calgary Flames as the least popular NHL team (2008) and you're a primary example of why. Suck our collective Oilersnation cacks, we still have 5 Stanley Cups!

Avatar
#271 TonyT
October 25 2009, 12:33AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Robin Brownlee wrote:

There's no hurry on Gilbert, especially with Souray and Staios out.

Gilbert has skill. Gilbert is a good player. BUT, I've seen 100 guys like him: a guy with good size who isn't physical and who tends to get jittery in games when the intensity picks up.

Gilbert can look like all-star material in a no-hitter, but in games like this he gets happy feet and hands and coughs it up. The numbers guys can say what they want about him -- and they did last season when I stuck with my guns even as he was putting up points -- but I know what I see and I've seen it before.

Thanks for the reply Robin. Any thoughts on my growing concern that if Gilbert continues to be exposed defensively (partnered with 37) that possible trades (i.e. Stafford) decline in value.

Avatar
#272 RossCreekNation
October 25 2009, 01:08AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@TonyT

Funny how one moment Oil fans say "enough of the glory years re-visited already" yet they still throw the "we won 5 Cups" around. Ya, big deal. The Leafs have 13 Cups. Does that automatically mean they're better than the Oil? I think not. Keep livin in the past. I didn't just come here at the end of the game to 'gloat'. I was here all game. Where were you? Pompous my assterick*

Avatar
#273 Hemmercules
October 25 2009, 02:52AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Tough game. Almost had to fight my way out of that building, I can only take so much abuse in one night. Boo flames......

Avatar
#274 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
October 25 2009, 07:13AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
TonyT wrote:

Coward

–noun 1. a person who lacks courage in facing danger, difficulty, opposition, pain, etc.; a timid or easily intimidated person.

–adjective 2. lacking courage; very fearful or timid. 3. proceeding from or expressive of fear or timidity: a coward cry.

Try not to throw words around like you do "trade options". Bitter much? Yeah, the Oilers just lost to their archrival. People put up with you (a Flames fan) because for the most part at least you're on topic. However, coming on to Oilersnation (a pro Oilers forum) and gloating after a (flu assisted) win is downright pompous. There's a reason why TSN.ca lists the Calgary Flames as the least popular NHL team (2008) and you're a primary example of why. Suck our collective Oilersnation cacks, we still have 5 Stanley Cups!

"we" havent won anything in almost 20 years.

get off your little pedestal and come back down to the real world for a minute

Avatar
#275 Lofty
October 25 2009, 08:26AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@VicOiler

***Vomit in mouth***

Avatar
#276 Senator Theo
October 25 2009, 09:35AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
RossCreekNation wrote:

I can't wait til Smid gets 'his'. It may not be tonight, it may not be against the Flames, but he will bite off more than he can chew sooner than later and go yelping away like a shot dog.

This has got to be the first time I've ever heard an opposing team's fan complain about Smid's play. Who's next - Joey Moss?

OK, Smid was a little feisty last night, but that's the hairiest I've ever seen his eyeballs. Am I using that right?

Avatar
#277 Lofty
October 25 2009, 09:51AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Robin Brownlee wrote:

There's no hurry on Gilbert, especially with Souray and Staios out.

Gilbert has skill. Gilbert is a good player. BUT, I've seen 100 guys like him: a guy with good size who isn't physical and who tends to get jittery in games when the intensity picks up.

Gilbert can look like all-star material in a no-hitter, but in games like this he gets happy feet and hands and coughs it up. The numbers guys can say what they want about him -- and they did last season when I stuck with my guns even as he was putting up points -- but I know what I see and I've seen it before.

Robin,

I am wondering what plans the Oil are going to have with Pisani? He is a UFA next season and doesnt look like he is going to touch the ice this season. Looking at the numbers it seems Tambo is just going to waist the cap hit this year so they can use his cash to sign the RFA's in the spring.

Do you see a deal out there for a rental player that the Oil can spend Pisani's injury money on? It would be nice to swap Patty O, Nilsson or Gilbert for a $4 million dollar player that is only signed till the end of this season.

I dont like Frolov but if the Oil could send Nilsson and a 2nd or 3rd rounder or Patty O back to LA would it not be a short term upgrade?

Gilbert's contract is the new immovable object in Oil country

Avatar
#278 BK16
October 25 2009, 10:02AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
RossCreekNation wrote:

I can't wait til Smid gets 'his'. It may not be tonight, it may not be against the Flames, but he will bite off more than he can chew sooner than later and go yelping away like a shot dog.

At least he'll back it up and fight, unlike that pussy Phaneuf.

Avatar
#279 TonyT
October 25 2009, 10:10AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@RossCreekNation

"Funny how one moment Oil fans say "enough of the glory years re-visited already" yet they stull throw "we won 5 Cups" around. Ya, big deal. The Leafs have 13 Cups. Does that automatically mean they're better than the Oil?"

- Well RossCreek, that depends entirely by what you mean by better. If you mean better presently, then no the Leafs (with zero wins) are not better. However, if you believe the Stanley Cup to be the barometer of a franchises success, then yes 13 is better than 5. I'm not going to lie, I would rather have 13 league titles than 5 (granted the Leafs are an original 6 team). If you would rather have 1 (which incidently like the Flames last Stanley Cup Finals appearance is now one year further than the Oilers last), then thats your perogative. If you would like we can compare first round appearances as well, however I'm confident you're still holding the short end of the stick.

"I didn't just come here at the end of the game to 'gloat'. I was here all game. Where were you?"

- If you must know, I was at home watching the game, of what relevance that has I'm not sure. The fact remains (by your own admission) you did come on here to 'gloat'. When the Oilers win, I celebrate with other Oiler fans, I don't go looking for a strictly pro-Flames forum to brag about it. That sir after a regular season win is pompous.

If I come across as rude, I apologize. I can appreciate a loyal fan such as yourself. I can appreciate that you are probably one of the regular 12,000 who graced the Saddledome during the '04 season to be pleasantly surprised with not only the playoffs but a Stanley Cup run. I (like you) am passionate about my hockey club. Sure they haven't won the Cup in 19 years, but they've given me lots of reason to smile since then. Not only am I proud of having (arguably) the greatest dynasty in hockey but of pro sports. I'm proud of that short span in the late '90s when the Oilers (as Canada's sole representatives in the playoffs) were Canada's team. I'm proud of the Oilers first round upsets of Dallas and Coloardo, and I'll never forget the feeling of that late comeback against the Stars where they were down 3-0, I promised never to 'give up' on the Oilers again. I'm proud of the excitement of our annual first round meetins with the Dalla Stars, each year more optimistic than the last. Of course, I (like everyone else) cried when the Oilers lost gm 7 on '06, and I was a wreck for months after. I love my Oilers and I wouldn't have it any other way. PS 5 Stanley Cups is nice too.

Avatar
#280 Archaeologuy
October 25 2009, 10:19AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Did i just see on Sportsnet that team Canada's Junior Team will wear green next year?

Someone better be fired because of that. Why dont we just get them to wear pink pokadots, or instead of a Maple Leaf they can slap a picture of a Beaver on there.

It's team Canada, dont f*ck with the colours!

Avatar
#281 KayleW
October 25 2009, 10:39AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

i am disgusted with the green jerseys for the Canadian juniors! We are NOT all Rider fans even some of us who live in SK! Pa-freakin-thetic!

Avatar
#282 Senator Theo
October 25 2009, 10:41AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

If you don't like the green jerseys, you're going to hate the cartoon moose riding the loon.

Avatar
#283 Librarian Mike
October 25 2009, 10:51AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Archaeologuy wrote:

Did i just see on Sportsnet that team Canada's Junior Team will wear green next year?

Someone better be fired because of that. Why dont we just get them to wear pink pokadots, or instead of a Maple Leaf they can slap a picture of a Beaver on there.

It's team Canada, dont f*ck with the colours!

Wait till you see the Mountie-style helmets...

Avatar
#284 Chris.
October 25 2009, 11:03AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Ross Creek wrote: "I can't wait til Smid gets 'his'. It may not be tonight, it may not be against the Flames, but he will bite off more than he can chew sooner than later and go yelping away like a shot dog."

Nice. You sir are a wordsmith... The irony is rich coming from a man who cheers for a coward like Phaneuf. Phaneuf will never be the kind of dog that gets shot... as he chooses to cower in the dark and will only take advantage of prey in a vulnerable position. This kind of dog sometimes trys to act big by joining the pack late, willing to feed on a carcus he was too scared to engage when vital... Every once in a while, when pretending to be the alpha; the "big" dog realizes the half eaten immobilized body has some life left in it; so he turns tail and runs, yelping and sh!tting himself to the embarrassment of the pack.

Avatar
#285 Watty
October 25 2009, 11:06AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Dear Flames Fan

You guys are just as bad as Canucks fans...you have this arrogance that would normally come with years of success yet you have not had any success.

The Flames have won NOTHING since 1990...simply making the playoffs means NOTHING unless you win the cup (or at least one round). Yet, because you have finished a few points higher in the standings than the Oil for the last few years you have a false sense of achievement that is making you sound and act like idiots.

Finally, how can you cheer for a team with Dion Phaneuf on it??? He is the BIGGEST coward the NHL has seen in a LONG time...he alone will hold your team back from winning anything. Dion...take off your visor and back up that little smirk of yours with something other than multiple face-washes once the refs have jumped in.

PS...the argument that we are living in the past because we talk about our 5 Stanley Cups in 7 years is RIDICULOUS and can only come from the fan of a team that has only won 1 Stanley Cup in 29 years...GOOD NIGHT NOW!!

Avatar
#286 Zamboni Driver
October 25 2009, 11:20AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Watty

I would say 'rack him'....if this wasn't bathed in nut-jobbery.

I'm a Oilers fan, don't get me wrong but.....the Flames have had almost exactly the same success as the Oilers since 1990 - one accidental trip to the finals, both teams....whack of years not in the playoffs both teams (one has a current streak going, guess which one?)

Five cups...yes. that was impressive. Twenty to Twenty-SIX years ago. It is time for us to stop living that far in the past. Were you even alive in 1984?

As to Phaneuf...if you can name one Oilers defenseman you'd take ahead of him, you're kidding yourself. And if you say 'Big Sexy'...time to turn up the meds. (Btw...have you seen who Dion's doing? Dude wins just for that.)

It's important to have some judgment before you go embarrassing yourself.

Avatar
#287 smiliegirl15
October 25 2009, 11:31AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

That game last night was bad, bad, bad but the first line still is looking good. Penner, Gagner and Hemsky is truly a thing of beauty.

Avatar
#288 Librarian Mike
October 25 2009, 11:42AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Zamboni Driver

Agreed. There is nothing more embarrassing as an Oilers fan than the old 'we used to be really good' chestnut.

Seriously, we make fun of the Leafs for doing it. We don't want to be THEM, do we?

Avatar
#289 Heatly
October 25 2009, 11:45AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Game last night was disappointing, but after 10 games in I still like the team

We need our starting line up of Brule, Stone, Souray, Staois back.

Avatar
#290 TonyT
October 25 2009, 11:56AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Any lineup changes for tonight?

Avatar
#291 MattL
October 25 2009, 12:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Not to change the subject too much, but guess who only has 1 point in 6 games?

Robbie Schremp!

Where you at, Schremp-aholics? Where you at? I didn't think so.

*crickets*

Avatar
#292 Librarian Mike
October 25 2009, 12:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@MattL

Okay, I'll admit I thought Schremp wasn't getting a fair chance at the time. I have to say I really thought he'd be ready to show something after being trashed by MacT for so long. It just goes to show how with the draft, 'Nobody Knows Anything'.

So yeah, mea culpa. I know I'm not the only one though...

Avatar
#293 Wedge
October 25 2009, 12:29PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Zamboni Driver

Yeah, I'm sure you are an oilers fan - nice try! I would take Gilbert with no arms over Pukeneuf. I'm sure his idol is Claude Lemieux. As a matter of fact I was 12 yrs old in 1984 and the memories and excitement of those times will never grow old and founded my very dedication to the oilers - in good and bad times! The fact of the matter is flames fans have used that " stop living in the past" excuse since the summer of 1990. It is simply because they have NO history to hang their hat on. For some strange reason think they are contending for the cup when they haven't got out of the first round of playoffs more than twice in their history.

Avatar
#294 Smokin' Ray
October 25 2009, 12:35PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

What's with all the anger around here? Who wants a group hug?

Avatar
#295 RossCreekNation
October 25 2009, 12:35PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@TonyT

Tony T, I am not here to start wars or anything. I live in the Edmonton area, always have. I see/hear/read all that is Oil because I am a hockey fan, and until this here interweb thingy came along (ya think its gonna stick around?), it was my main source of news. I follow the Oil closer than some Oil fans, even though I 'hate' them so much. Its the way I was raised. My Grandpa and my Dad both hated the Oilers, so it just came natural. Having said all that, I'm not on here spewing my hatred toward the Oil like a buffoon. I'm a hockey fan, period. I'm on here to share stories/articles/comments/arguments like most everyone else, not to cause 'rifts' just because I'm a Flames fan. When I first started coming here, I didn't let on I was a fan of the Flames because I didn't want that to stop close-minded Oiler fans from listening/reading/engaging with me. This is a great site, and there's not too many 'regulars' that I don't like. I have respect for most everyone here. My 'coward' blast was perhaps a tad over the line, but as I said earlier, I didn't just come here at the end of the game to gloat. I was here all game checking in. When the Oil scored, I was still here (and at a Flames site). When it looked like maybe the Oil were about to mount their patented comeback, I was still here. When the Flames looked like they were going to infamously blow yet another lead, I was still here. If the game went the other way, I would've still been here. My goal is not to be "just another simple-minded Flames fan that doesn't earn or deserve any respect. I have several Oiler fan friends - its all in good fun to me. Is there times where the blood gets boiling and its hard to remain civil - you betchya, but I'm sure you know this. Yes 'you guys' have 4 more Cups than 'us'. Yes I know a bra has more Cups than Calgary. Yes, I know the Flames had riff jersey's in the late 90's. And yes, I know that the Oil have looked pretty decent this year. And yes, things around here seem funner when the Oil make the playoffs. Until the Flames & Oil meet in the playoffs, I don't forsee any issues between either sets of fans. BUT, when that happens, ALL BETS ARE OFF! Until then Tony T, RESPECK!

Avatar
#296 RossCreekNation
October 25 2009, 12:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Wedge

Actually, Zamboni Driver is an Oiler fan. You would take Gilbert with no arms over "Pukeneuf"? I'm sure there's not more than 3 people that'd agree with you. I am not the biggest Phaneuf fan myself, but that above statement is pure rubbish.

As for your "stop living in the past" blast, you're probably right, if the role's were reversed, I probably would throw that one in your face from time to time. My reference wasn't even so much to "stop living in the past", but that SOME Oil fans talk out of both sides of their mouth - "enough bringing up the past already", "get rid of the ol' boys club", "we don't need to see a 25th anniversary of the 1st Cup winning team, enough with the past already!" yet as soon as they're in an argument with a Flames fan, they go back to the clever "we have more Cups than you" take.

For some strange reason think they are contending for the cup when they haven't got out of the first round of playoffs more than twice in their history.

What relevance their 1st round history has on their future, I'm not sure. But yes, it has been a lousy record. Please don't tell me you'd rather miss the playoffs 3 years in a row than get ousted in the 1st round though.

Avatar
#297 Ogden Brother
October 25 2009, 01:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I'd take Phaneuf over any of our Dmen. I'd take RR over any them as well.

Avatar
#298 Wedge
October 25 2009, 01:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@RossCreekNation

I think you need to relax just a tad bit - I was using an exaggeration to display my passion for the oilers and demonstrate how much I hate the flames. Your right - after I thought about it for about 78 hours, in the end I probably would go with Phaneuf instead of someone with no arms. My point I am getting at is that I was under the impression this site is for everyone (regular or not) to read and breath Oilers. The name "oilersnation" is a good indication of which way the passion and feelings of most contributors tend to lean to. I very much enjoy the humour and sarcasm often directed at "everyone who opposes Oilers". I am not one of the oil fans who talk out of both sides of my mouth. I love the history of the team and I am a Kevin Lowe, MacT, Huddy, Buchberger, Semenko etc. fan and enjoy the fact they have joined the Oilers after they finished their playing career. Bashing flames is a great tradition that is passing generations. Don't panic - if Phaneuf was traded to the oilers for Hemsky, I would cheer for Phaneuf eventually and boo Hemsky. (probably not)

Avatar
#299 Eddie Shore
October 25 2009, 01:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Robin Brownlee

Robin could part of this 'awful' play by Gilbert and Grebs be due to the fact that they are playing tougher competition now that Staios and Souray are out?

Avatar
#300 roughneck
October 25 2009, 01:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Robin Brownlee wrote:

There's no hurry on Gilbert, especially with Souray and Staios out.

Gilbert has skill. Gilbert is a good player. BUT, I've seen 100 guys like him: a guy with good size who isn't physical and who tends to get jittery in games when the intensity picks up.

Gilbert can look like all-star material in a no-hitter, but in games like this he gets happy feet and hands and coughs it up. The numbers guys can say what they want about him -- and they did last season when I stuck with my guns even as he was putting up points -- but I know what I see and I've seen it before.

Dont they have drugs and sports psychologists for that sort of thing?

Comments are closed for this article.