Post Game - Oilers vs. Avs

Jonathan Willis
October 27 2009 11:16PM

Colorado Avalanche: 3

Edmonton Oilers: 0

Not much to say about this one. It was a lousy hockey game, and the score is a fair indication of both who carried the play and exactly how boring it was.  There wasn't a player on the team who had a good game, save perhaps Khabibulin.  We can chalk it up to the flu (everybody's sick, and Ladislav Smid has swine flu) or we can chalk it up to percentages normalizing (since I said the Oilers were bound to drop from their 15.2% rate they've fallen down to 12.3%) or we can chalk it up to outshooting the opposition a grand total of one time on the season, but this team doesn't look good right now.

The same things apply now that applied prior to this streak of three losses to division opponents: it's early, it's only a few games, and it isn't worth panicking about.

Also possibly of interest - while Dan Tencer suggests the powerplay is the problem, I thought it looked good tonight, even if it didn't score.  But when the Oilers have gone three games without an even-strength goal, and two without a goal period, I think it's a bit much to blame special teams.

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
#1 MattL
October 27 2009, 11:22PM

Probably the worst Oilers game I've seen in years. Not one thing went right. Well, maybe they gave half the Avalanche team the flu if we're lucky.

#2 Coppperhead
October 27 2009, 11:26PM

Definitely unimpressed. But I'm inclined to give the team a break. Facing a trapping team when half the team is sick is tough.

The only thing I am worried about is the habits from last year that seem to be coming back. For example: Ethan Moreau trying to skate the puck through the neutral zone. He is effective when he gets in on the forecheck...not by trying to do things himself.

#3 CopperMan
October 27 2009, 11:29PM

Tough game to stomach...same team as last year with the same result. Hears hoping thursday is a better night for these guys. No sense is lighting the torches just yet.

#4 Wanye
October 27 2009, 11:39PM

If I hear swine flu, H1N1, swine, flu or wrist shot one more time I am going to have to take drastic action.

#5 Hax
October 28 2009, 12:06AM

Flu

#6 Victoria
October 28 2009, 12:07AM

Shutout twice in a row by divisional rivals. *sigh*

There's really nothing more to say...

#7 mowgli
October 28 2009, 12:07AM

I think it's the flu becuse i watch the game twice and the second time i like to see how the other team plays. From what i seen the oilers had no flow and did'nt play nothing like last week.

#8 easymoney
October 28 2009, 12:27AM

Are we the only team in the nhl who has the flu ?The powerplay sucked badly this game and the last and all of the last year .This team has the same record it had last year as it has this year .We either get it going in the next two games or so or we could be out of the hunt early.I wont push the panic button yet but its getting close .

#9 jeanshorts
October 28 2009, 12:38AM

@easymoney

Like Willis pointed out, I'm far more unsettled by the fact that the team has managed to score 0 even strength goals over the last 3 games then by the mediocre power play. Everyone knew the power play was going to be up against the wall as soon as Souray got his bell rung. The power play is the least of this teams problems right now.

#10 Hatecoff
October 28 2009, 01:38AM

why is horcoff not playing on the fourth line and cogliano not on the second?

horcoffs horible act of hockey belongs on the forth line at best

if this franchise keeps acting proud with his contract we might as well pack it in now

we cant get an offensive cycle going with him on the ice

he fcuked up the game tonight with his turnover that play further sickened his already sick teammates

he skates like he can not get his back straightened always hunched over for somereason spinning around the boards

he cant shoot

fcuk his faceoffs if he cant create nothing with the ones he wins

you guys think we suck now wait till we throw pisani in the washed up veteran mix we have with horcoff and moreau

horcoff gilbert and + or horcoff grebeshov + is needed to get horcoff out of here for a legit superstar from a rebuilding team

sooner the better

#11 Ambassador humantorch
October 28 2009, 01:49AM

Man, that H1N1 swine flu has really given this team a wrist shot to the groin, hasn't it?

#12 Hatecoff
October 28 2009, 01:53AM

oh and one more thing about horcoff

all the fans in rexall have the nerve to startyelling "shoot" when oilers string more then 5 passes on the powerplay

yet they cant tell horcoff how he licks dry testicles shift in shift out

its time we start booing him everytime he touches the puck

let him know we know and call his sorry ass out

Good Night

#13 TonyT
October 28 2009, 02:44AM

With the imminent return of Pisano can we now have dedicated lines? I would like to see a Moreau-Horcoff-Pisani shutdown line (partly because of my lack of faith in their ability to contribute elsewhere). I also wouldn't mind Cogliano on the second line with Comrie and O'Sullivan, I believe Cogliano's speed could open lanes for Comrie and O'Sullivan. Brule would fit on that line as well, however Cogliano on the energy line doesn't really do it for me. Stortini, Brule, and Jacques could be a fun line to watch. Anyways, that's my opinion.

#14 TonyT
October 28 2009, 02:49AM

Also with tonight's H1N1 announcement, I am going to blame the last three games on the flu, and we lose Thursday to the Wings that'll be cus' of the flu too.

#15 TonyT
October 28 2009, 02:50AM
TonyT wrote:

If we lose Thursday

#16 DonDon
October 28 2009, 07:17AM

Turnovers in their own zone, turnovers in the neutral zone, turnovers in the offensive zone. Reasons? Inept passes, weak on the puck, losses in the faceoff circles.

Couldn't get pucks on the net; either totally missed the net, shots were blocked, weak shots.

Too many passengers on this team. or, perhaps, not enough legitimate NHLers. One can see the frustration in Quinn's face. Fans not happy either in the direction the team is headed. Oil not playing like contenders, more like pretenders.

#17 jayoilfan
October 28 2009, 07:19AM

Someone ate the crust! When they were winning last week they had the crust Quinn was talking about, today it is gone! They had no fight, looked slow out there and were very dispassionate about the whole thing. Lackadasial passes, half hearted effort. This looks like the team from last March.

As you said it JW, it is still early but I don't like seeing old habits come back.

#18 Reagan
October 28 2009, 07:21AM

There was no desparation, no emotion, and no effort show at all last night. Maybe three of four minutes at the top of the second period, that was it. Freaken sad. I'm glad I left early enough in the third. However I did see a fight in the stands, that was rather humourous.

Like I called it two days ago.

"The Debacle of Monumental Proportions"

#19 Hemmercules
October 28 2009, 07:42AM

Worst officiating I've seen in awhile. Two hits from behind with no calls. Stortini, Hemmer and Penner all draged down with no call. I guess we got away with a couple too.

I can only hope it's the flu thats making us look like the 2008 oilers.

Our dmen are haaving problems pinching now too. Seems like we take at least two penalties a game hoooking or tripping a player on a near breakaway.

I called it last night that things would get worse before they got better. Detroit and Boston doesn't look like two wins the way the oil have been playing. And if Smid has the swine flu our d line just gets worse and worse, Pisani will be back there when he returns.

#20 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
October 28 2009, 07:52AM

Quinn ripped O'Sulivan for taking stupid shots on the powerplay he then went on to rip Lubo for moving the puck too much on the PP. The team as a whole is trying too hard to make the pass when maybe they should just try a wrist shot on net and fight for the rebound.

Quinn knows 100% what is wrong with the team and like he said he needs to be able to convince the players that what they are doing won't work.

Our defenseman were brutal for the most part. Chorney made a gutsy decision and it led to the second goal. Gilbert and Grebeshkov seem to make the stupidest passes when on the ice. Although I will say that Gilbert made some decent defensive plays and he was hitting yesterday.

Offesnively O'Sullivan looked to be our best player and Bulin was definetly our star once again.

As for the officiating, big deal our PP wouldn't have done much anyways

#21 Librarian Mike
October 28 2009, 07:54AM

Well, even with the last 3 games, we're still better than this time last year. Didn't the Avs score 8 goals on the Oilers last October/November?

I'm sure they'll make up for this slide by going on a big run in March and almost get into the playoffs/just miss the playoffs...just like every year.

#22 Hemmercules
October 28 2009, 07:54AM

Another thing is Sully on the PP. Get that guy outta there. Can't hit the net with a one timer to save his life, can't make a 10 foot pass on the tape, can't hold the zone. How many chances does he get playing the point so terribly???

A Smidless D line scares me right now. Strudwick, Chorney, Peckham looks pretty scary compared to Souray, Smid and Staios. Gilbert and Grebs can't handle all the tough minutes and Lubo can only play 30 minutes a night for so long. Ugh.....wake me when its over.

#23 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
October 28 2009, 07:56AM

Also if anyone knows the guy that phoned the team 1260 and said that the Oil should curve their sticks backwards so that we have better backends, can you slap him up side the head?

#24 Librarian Mike
October 28 2009, 07:57AM

@Librarian Mike

just miss the playoffs

I meant to say "just get into the playoffs", although now that I look at it...haha

#25 Hemmercules
October 28 2009, 07:58AM
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

As for the officiating, big deal our PP wouldn't have done much anyways

~Ya big deal, Powerplay's suck and it's always cool to see an Oiler get his head driven into the boads from behind~

#26 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
October 28 2009, 07:59AM
jeanshorts wrote:

I don't know if the power play at least clicked once in each of the last two games it is a totally different game. Sure it may not be our biggest concern, but it has to be a concern.

#27 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
October 28 2009, 08:00AM
Hemmercules wrote:

Yes that is what I said.

#28 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
October 28 2009, 08:01AM

I wonder if it is time to take our 3 best players on the first line and break them up and try for the balanced attack once again.

#29 Bob Loblaw
October 28 2009, 08:06AM

I played the game again on my PVR at 4X speed. Then the Oilers looked like they were going at normal speed. Unfortunately, then the Avalanche looked like Supermen on crystal meth.

#30 HOZ
October 28 2009, 08:12AM

Oilers suckitudinalism is standing out now. 2 season of being outworked by our opposition at home.

We have been massively outshot this year and that goes directly, coaching excluded now, to the fact that not everyone is willing to put out.

#31 Oil Kings
October 28 2009, 08:14AM

I think it is time for Moreau to realize he does not have the skill set of P. Kane. All too often I see hit pathetic attempt of the "driving around the net, spinning and shooting" move. You do not have the ability to do that.

He starting to look just as out of place as D. Hatcher did in the beginning of "new NHL". I just don't think he has what it takes anymore.

#32 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
October 28 2009, 08:21AM
Oil Kings wrote:

Moreau may not have the ability to do that, but he was one of a few that were getting close to the net yesterday when he had the puck.

#33 Hemmercules
October 28 2009, 08:26AM

@Oil Kings

Moreau hasn't been taking stupid penalties but he has been invisible this year. I love it when he drives into the corner and shots it when he gets to the goal line from the worst possible angle, then cogs is running around like a chicken with his head cut off trying to recover the puck. Poor cogs will never get going on that line.

#34 Chris.
October 28 2009, 08:31AM

There has been no secondary scoring...

If you set aside Nilsson's empty netter and remember that Lubo's goal came with the first line on the ice... It's been nearly 14 periods of Hockey since anyone has supplied secondary offence. O'Sullivan scored 26 seconds into the second period of the Vancouver game back on the 19th... then nothing. The Oilers have now lost 5 of thier 7 divisional games... so much for a good start.

#35 Tracie
October 28 2009, 08:32AM

I have read that Quinn is resting the players during off days instead of practicing to give them rest and try to help stop the spread of the flu. I am assuming here, but doesn't that mean that the only practice we are getting in is on morning skates then? It would make sense if we are reverting back to last's year play if we aren't taking the time to practice Quinn's system and drive it into their heads. While I agree with Quinn's logic to try to stop the spreading, it obvisouly hasn't worked b/c everyone is sick and I believe we need to get back to full practices. I'm putting this out there b/c I haven't seen a lot of comments about the lack of practices but I think that this would be a huge reason to their decline of play as of late, wouldn't it?

#36 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
October 28 2009, 08:35AM
Tracie wrote:

I was talking about this last night. It is evident that we aren't playing the games at 100% is it because of not practicing? It may not look like a good idea right now, but I guess if we were to do full practices and the whole team gets sick then what do we do?

I'm curious to how many guys are playing sick?

#38 Hemmercules
October 28 2009, 08:42AM

@Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach

I'm really curious myself as to who is actually sick. 1 or 2 guys shouldn't be a problem but if it's like 5 or 6 that's alot of clouded heads and tired players to have in a game. I do think the days off might hurt a bit though, no prep time for games isn't a good thing.

#39 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
October 28 2009, 08:48AM
Hemmercules wrote:

That's what gets me because if it is 1 or 2 guys wouldn't you just keep those two guys away and let the other practice? We do know that Hemsky, Smid, Brule and Comrie were sick anyone else? Even if it is 5 or 6 guys, shouldn't the others at the very least be skating?

#40 Tracie
October 28 2009, 08:50AM

That's my thought! The morning skates just aren't enough to learn and use a new system! From what I read, the only guys who have not been affected by the flu are Andrew Cogliano, Jason Strudwick, Zack Stortini, Robert Nilsson and Sam Gagner. Gags says it's garlic pills...Dan Barnes says that the "Completely healthy Oilers are vastly out-numbered by those who are feeling a bug of some sort in varying degrees..."

#41 Tracie
October 28 2009, 08:52AM

Plus this also means that we cannot call up healthy players to replace them b/c they only should be out a couple of days and we don't have the room ro bring up anymore.

Not saying this is an excuse but the NHL is hard enough to play in, let alone against division rivals at 50% strength with no practice...

#42 Milli
October 28 2009, 08:54AM

Is it because of a lack of practise or the Flu? Either way, we stank again lastnight. And our D, without Smid, now that is scary.

#43 Milli
October 28 2009, 08:56AM

And what is with Gene Principe? His humor, I can take when we are winning, but lastnight, he BLEW!!!!

#44 Chris.
October 28 2009, 09:02AM
Milli wrote:

My understanding is that Smid has already recovered... Lubo, on the other hand, (Smid's partner) left the game early due to the onset of the Flu.

#45 Hemmercules
October 28 2009, 09:06AM

@Chris.

Lubo out, the sky really is falling. Souray and Lubo out is a playoff miss waiting to happen.

#46 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
October 28 2009, 09:08AM
Chris. wrote:

He might be recovered to the point where he isn't as sick and contagious, but he could still be in the stage where he is getting his body back to where it was before he was sick.

#47 Hemmercules
October 28 2009, 09:12AM

~Pisani will right the ship this weekend~

#48 NsxZero
October 28 2009, 09:13AM

They gotta stop making those impossible saucer passes back to the blueline. We never get them and only end up going back into our zone and wasting time on our PP. KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid!

#49 stilldrinkingthekoolaid
October 28 2009, 09:21AM
Hatecoff wrote:

oh and one more thing about horcoff

yet they cant tell horcoff how he licks dry testicles shift in shift out

its time we start booing him everytime he touches the puck

let him know we know and call his sorry ass out

Good Night

But how do you really feel?

#50 Hemmercules
October 28 2009, 09:26AM
Wanye wrote:

You of all people should know that Oiler fans hang onto excuses like grim death. Wait until March, everyone will be saying "man, if we didn't have that flu back in Oct we would be a lock for the playoffs right now!"