GDB XIII: Wings of change, perhaps

Jason Gregor
October 29 2009 12:18PM

It was a mixed bag at the morning skate today, as the Oilers try to end a three game losing streak against the under-performing Detroit Red Wings.

It looks like Pat Quinn will change his lineup again:

Penner — Horcoff — Hemsky
Cogliano — Gagner — Nilsson
Jacques — Brule — O’Sullivan
Moreau — Stortini — MacIntyre

Strudwick — Gilbert
Grebeshkov — Chorney
Peckham — Smid

Mike Comrie didn’t skate this morning, but that doesn’t mean he won’t play, since there has been a few occasions this season where a guy didn’t go in the morning, but played that night. Lubomir Visnovsky didn’t skate either, but he is out for sure with the flu.

Fernando Pisani and Steve Staios skated today. Pisani could go, but he was bagged skated at the end of practice which means MacIntyre might play tonight. Staios skated, but it was his first real practice with the team, and it is good to see he is making progress, but I don’t see how they can play him tonight.

Based on what I saw on the PP units, it looks like Horcoff will indeed be playing with Hemsky and Penner. They were the first unit with O’Sullivan and Grebeshkov on the back end.

The second unit had Nilsson, Gagner and Brule with Gilbert and Chorney on the backend.

The Oilers spent extra time on shots coming out of the corners. The coaches were stressing getting more pucks on net, but also getting more shots through traffic and on goal. The Oilers have had far too many shots blocked the past three games, and Fleming was driving that home this morning.

Quinn had separate meetings with Gagner, Cogliano and Nilsson and the message was he heard they did well together a few years ago, and is hoping they can rekindle that production. The key for those three is puck support. When they were scoring they supported one another very well, if they get to spread out in the offensive zone they won’t produce.

The Wings have given up 35 goals in ten games so far, and their goaltending is highly suspect. They have played a bit better of late, and it is only a matter of time before they are back in an actual playoff spot.

After slow starts Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk are back scoring. Zetterberg has ten points in ten games, while Datsyuk has seven in the eight games he has played.

Fishing for Charity

If you are like fishing and the Oilers you might want to head to www.campusauctionmarket.com Today at 3 p.m. the bidding ends to have a chance to fish at one of the best places in Alberta,

You get two nights and three days of fishing at Fortress Lake, in the Rocky Mountains. You and three of your buddies will fly in and enjoy three days of fishing, great food and good laughs.

Jason Strudwick and Zack Stortini along with Kevin Karius and me are the “guides”. All the money goes to charity. This is part of the Edmonton Sun Christmas Auction.

I’ve done it for three years, and I can honestly say it is my favourite three days of the summer. When you get to www.campusauctionmarket.com click on the banner at the top, and our package is #5.

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#1 Jeff
October 29 2009, 12:28PM

If the Oilers win tonight it will be a miracle. Having said that I am interested in seeing the kid line again even though I am disappointed with the Penner-Gagner-Hemsky line being split.

#2 OilW30
October 29 2009, 12:29PM

"if they get to spread out in the offensive zone they won’t produce." Should be "too"

I'm glad we didn't trade any defencemen.

#3 Ender
October 29 2009, 12:30PM

I remember the 'kid line' as much as anyone, but putting Nilsson with Cogs and Gags ahead of Sully seems wrong to me. Sully should get a chance to play with some speedy and skilled players.

I hope 'Nando makes it back soon so we can get Storts back to the wing.

#4 Ender
October 29 2009, 12:31PM

Add to my last post: 'Nando and Comrie too.

#5 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
October 29 2009, 12:32PM

Wow my worse nightmares car true on defense, not often you see a teams 6,7,8, and 9 dress in the same game. Pretty banged up team right now if we can keep it close against Detroit that will be enough for me.

#6 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
October 29 2009, 12:33PM
Ender wrote:

I hope 'Nando makes it back soon so we can get Storts back to the wing.

I don't know Quinn is just trying anything right now and the kid line did work at one time so why not try it? If it doesn't work it can be changed pretty quick.

#7 Jmask5
October 29 2009, 12:35PM

I think this may be the worst defense the Oilers have iced since the 2007 dive for bottom 5.

#8 Wanye
October 29 2009, 12:35PM

Can I go fishing with you Gregor? I'll bring the dynamite and the 60 pounder of Jack - which as we all know is the only way that fishing can be considered tolerable.

#9 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
October 29 2009, 12:35PM
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

car=came

#10 BigE57
October 29 2009, 12:40PM

Jason Gregor wrote:

"Jason Strudwick and Zack Stortini along with Kevin Karius and me are the “guides”."

I hope by "guides" you mean bartenders.......

As far as tonights game goes, nothing like icing the worst possible defensive corps you can against a team that is looking for a breakout game. I hope Khabibulin is drinking lots of water today.

#11 Charlie
October 29 2009, 12:43PM

No Souray, No Staios, No Lubo, No Pisani, No Stone, No ....problem.

Go Oilers.

#12 Librarian Mike
October 29 2009, 12:44PM

I can imagine Detroit's looking at the Oilers the same way my cat looks at a moth he's swatted out of the air.

All we can hope for tonight is that the Wings go in expecting 'guaranteed win night', and that the Oilers are feeling better.

#13 Tyler
October 29 2009, 12:45PM

Cue the trade hemsky comments, I am sure his slump wll start agian with whifcoff on his line.

This move shows that Pat Quinn doesnt have a set. Horcoff should have moved down a line not back up.

#14 PartyPooper
October 29 2009, 12:51PM

TSX way up. Oilers win. It's that simple.

#15 tyler
October 29 2009, 12:54PM

Horcoff + Nillson + top six minutes = NO playoffs

#16 SirFozz
October 29 2009, 12:59PM

Yikes, nice D.

#17 I'm a Scientist!
October 29 2009, 01:05PM

Game Day Prediction: 4-0 for the Wings. I know it is a little faux pas to predict a loss for the mighty oil, but there it is.

*hangs his head in shame*

On the plus side, I predict a physical game that showcases Stortini fighting SMac and Horcoff will continue his scoring streak --- on our own net.

OBVIOUS PREDICTION OF THE DAY: 3 Oiler players will be hit from behind and shaken up... play will continue on with no call on the play.

#18 OvenChicken8 - Team JSBM
October 29 2009, 01:08PM

4-3 win for the Oilers via shoot-out, 11 rounds with Stortini scoring the winner.

#19 SportsDad
October 29 2009, 01:19PM
Wanye wrote:

Wanya, you are Old school using the Dynamite :) I prefer the C4 with the Oilers detonator watch. The 60 of Jack is a good common denominator for fishing though.

#20 SportsDad
October 29 2009, 01:20PM

And if I could proof read, that would Wanye, not his evil 1/2 brother twin, Wanya.

#21 Alex
October 29 2009, 01:20PM

I think the Oilers win this one tonight. How long will Vish be out?

#22 Helmerfied
October 29 2009, 01:22PM
Tyler wrote:

Between your numerous comments in the last 2 articles, I think you've made your point in spades here Tyler. You have an absolute hate-on for Horc and Nilsson. No amount of hard facts proving their value will change your mind. Now that you've made your feelings absolutely clear, can we drop it now man? I'd venture a guess most fans coming to this site looking for info and insight on their team aren't eager to read the same hate-on point every 5th comment.

#23 Librarian Mike
October 29 2009, 01:23PM
SportsDad wrote:

1/2 sister actually (the moustache throws people off)...

#24 Senator Theo
October 29 2009, 01:37PM
Tyler wrote:

Line combinations notwithstanding, I have it on good authority that Quinn's set is actully quite impressive.

#27 Homie
October 29 2009, 01:44PM

I'm calling for a bit of an upset tonight and have the Oilers, AHL defense and all, beat the Wings. Smid plays 28 minutes and scores the only goal in a 1-0 game.

#28 Hemmercules
October 29 2009, 01:51PM

Who's in net tonight?? I wouldn't mind seeing JDD play this one or the next. Not sure if we win this one but I'm pretty sure the scoring drought will finally end. The 1st line will come up big tonight, just have a feeling.

#29 Garett
October 29 2009, 01:58PM

To the guy with the Gene Principe comment:

No doubt! I mean, congrats Gene on the success of your hairplugs, but dude, your "spinny propellar hat humour" has to go! My sphincter tightens every time I anticipate what cheese ball dog Sh*t comment is gonna crawl outta your mouth. I am so thrilled that TSN carries a decent amount of games minus that douche bag cue ball headed former Pens assistant coach. Can u believe he has a Cup ring??? I was wetting myself when I heard he was in the running for the Minni GM job, I could only dream of what TSN would be like without him. We can only hope he proclaims Phaneuf to be his monster enough times that they frolic off together to the beach and drown in a freak Tsunami!

Good day gentlemen!

P.S. Is it possible to dress Buchberger to take draws and dress K Lowe to play "D" tonight?

#30 Ogden Brother
October 29 2009, 02:05PM

Wow that's an ugly defence (forwards don't look that good either). It would take an absolute miracle to win tonight.

#31 Oil Kings
October 29 2009, 02:09PM

Princessipe + K Quinn are two bumbling fools. When the game is on my wife rolls her eyes at the lame humour attempts spewing from the set; and I don't blame her, it is brutal!

For someone that is a paid professional play-by-play guy (Quinn), he sure does mis-speak a tonne.

If you were to turn this into a drinking game and slam a shot everytime Quinn gets a player's name wrong, can't get the words out of his mouth.....etc, you would have a 26oz'er done every period.

That may be, however, the only way to get through games as entertaining as the Colorado game the other night.

#34 I'm a Scientist!
October 29 2009, 02:14PM
Jason Gregor wrote:

In case you are curious...Here is what the Wings lines looked like...

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Holmstrom Clearly-Filppula-Bertuzzi Leino-Draper-Williams May-Abdelkader-Maltby

Lidstrom-Kronwall Stuart-Rafalski Ericsson-Lebda

*checks his game prediction*

Yup, sounds about right. 4-0 Wings.

#35 R Kenny
October 29 2009, 02:30PM
Oil Kings wrote:

Just be happy we don't have Loubardias calling the play by play. He's much worse. Do you recall his ridiculous exuberance with every play, wild up and down intonation and patentedly annoying "heeeee scooooooorezzzzz" from a few Oilers broadcasts a couple years back? *shudder*

The Flames deserve him.

#36 Jmask5
October 29 2009, 02:34PM

Kevin Quinn is actually one of the better of the Canadian team Broadcasters. The French guys who do the Habs games are pretty good and the Sens guy is decent and then Kevin Quinn is in there as well. The Toronto guy over does it, the Flames Loubardias is meh at best and the Vancouver guy puts me to sleep and may in fact be the worst.

#37 Hemmercules
October 29 2009, 02:40PM

@R Kenny

You got that right man, Loubardias is so annoying. I'll take Gene and Kevin over him any day.

#38 Milli
October 29 2009, 03:12PM

Wow, a nightmare on D.

Oiler 5, wings 4!!!! Ina fun game to watch.

#39 Librarian Mike
October 29 2009, 03:25PM
Jason Gregor wrote:

In case you are curious...Here is what the Wings lines looked like...

Lidstrom-Kronwall Stuart-Rafalski Ericsson-Lebda

Well, after you get past the first 3 forward/first 2 defense lines, there's nothing too scary...

*starts rocking back and forth*

#40 jorge.r
October 29 2009, 03:29PM

I've gotta make the morbid prediction that Detroit wins 5-2 and the only reason we get two is because Osgood is shaky. Chorney will give up break aways all night and horcoff will give up the puck in front of the net 1 minute in to get the ball rolling.

#41 RossCreekNation
October 29 2009, 03:29PM

@Jmask5

I think I'd put Quinn at the bottom of that list. I don't mind Loubardias at all... even when he used to do Oiler games.

#42 Muji 狗
October 29 2009, 03:40PM

Strudwick on the top pairing?! This will not end well. Damn flu.

#43 Dan the Man
October 29 2009, 03:46PM

Had a dream last night that I was reading the scoring summary from tonight's game and Horcoff had a goal and an assist.

Oilers hang on for a 5-4 win.

#44 Andrew W
October 29 2009, 03:47PM
Dan the Man wrote:

Oilers hang on for a 5-4 win.

This is not encouraging. Even you admit that you were dreaming - it would take a near miracle for the Oilers to pull this one off tonight.

#45 David S
October 29 2009, 03:49PM
I'm a Scientist! wrote:

*checks his game prediction*

Yup, sounds about right. 4-0 Wings.

Holy crap look at those Detroit lines!

So, is that a first period prediction?

#46 I'm a Scientist!
October 29 2009, 04:01PM
David S wrote:

Holy crap look at those Detroit lines!

So, is that a first period prediction?

Errr... *checks again*

Nope, final score. We play really well tonight, y'know, for a bad team.

#47 BigE57
October 29 2009, 04:10PM
RossCreekNation wrote:

C'mon Roger Millions makes Principe look like Ron Mclean.

#48 David S
October 29 2009, 04:17PM

*Gets down on knees, looks skywards and prays to hockey gods for the second coming of the Kid Line.*

#49 Rob
October 29 2009, 04:28PM

I wonder if it has occurred to Quinn 'et al' that he is (they are) coaching the Edmonton Coach Killers?

Is there nothing the Oilers management are unwilling to sacrifice to put Hormeoff in a better light? What they are doing tonight is pulling the plug on Dustin Penner's improved play. Talk about having your guts kicked out!!This is the first time this year that I wonder what the heck Quinn is thinking...or is someone in the ivory tower calling the shots?

#50 Lofty
October 29 2009, 04:30PM

@Jason Gregor

interested how the kid line plays against Cleary, Filppula and Bertuzzi, they will either get manhandled or draw a bunch of penalties