Fright night: Jimmy poops his costume

Robin Brownlee
October 30 2009 10:47AM

I've decided to take a page from Mike Babcock and let my three-year-old son Sam dress up as Jimmy Howard on Halloween so he can pretend to be an NHL goaltender.

The Edmonton Oilers should be thankful Babcock is so willing to entertain fantasy -- he did the same thing with Manny Legace -- because the way I saw Thursday's game against the Detroit Red Wings at Rexall Place, Little Jimmy is the main reason fans are dissecting a 6-5 shootout win instead of a fourth straight loss.

If Howard didn't look like an overwhelmed Senior B goaltender in the first period and allow three goals on 12 shots, the Oilers wouldn't have had 4-0 and 5-1 leads to blow before packing for Boston with two points thanks to Patrick O'Sullivan's shootout winner.

That's not to discount the importance of the deuce, especially given the Oilers had a three-game losing streak on the go and had seen their hands turn to wood in seven previous periods, but beating what's left of the Red Wings should be taken in context.

Howard pooped his costume early and the Oilers followed suit in the third period so badly I feared that Pat Quinn might take a twister at any moment before Nikolai Khabibulin locked it down in the shootout.

Thanks, Jimmy. Move along.

Here's your answer, smart guy

-- Fans and notepads questioned Quinn's decision to move Horcoff to the top line between Dustin Penner and Ales Hemsky -- a decision prompted by Mike Comrie taking ill again -- but I had no real issue with it.

The idea of the exercise, contrary to the opinions of some, isn't to bust Horcoff down to the third line as punishment for how inept he'd been, it's to try to get him going. The move worked.

I'm not for a second going to try to say Horcoff is the guy who made the threesome tick against the Red Wings, because Penner was the catalyst, or that he turned things around with a goal and two assists, but it's a start.

Still, Horcoff's performance was something of a STFU to some of the over-the-top criticism he's been taking.

With a goal and three assists, Penner was the difference-maker again. You look at his numbers and you'd swear it's late December based on his last two campaigns.

In case you missed it, without much fanfare, Penner dedicated the game to his grandfather, who passed away this week.

At random

-- While Quinn's line-up moves up front had the desired effect with Penner, Horcoff and Hemsky, the reunion of the Kid Line of Sam Gagner, Andrew Cogliano and Robert Nilsson fizzled. They got nothing done. I'd be surprised if Quinn re-visits that trio again any time soon.

-- Like Jason Gregor, I suspected right up until game time that Quinn might sneak Fernando Pisani back into the line-up. Don't be a bit surprised to see him back against the Bruins. That'll be cause for a roster move or two.

-- The Red Wings, even allowing for injuries, are a shadow of themselves. As Jim Devallano said recently after being jabbed in the ass with truth serum, Detroit is going to have to go some just to make the playoffs. I'll eat crow big-time after saying there's no chance Chicago passes them by this season.

-- Speaking of brutal prognostications, it's obvious nobody at ON had half-a-clue about Colorado in our pre-season picks. Jonathan Willis, Wanye, Amber McCormick, Gregor and I had the Avs picked 15th. Bingofuel had them 12th.

It goes to show what many people think -- we don't know shat and you can't just look at names and numbers and get it right. The Avs will come back to earth, but it's looking like they'll be a playoff team.

-- While Laddy Smid is busting out and becoming the shutdown-type defenceman this team needs, there's no way the Oilers can go much longer without Sheldon Souray, Steve Staios and, now, Lubomir Visnovsky. Yes, that's Captain Obvious material, but the question is: what is (and what can) GM Steve Tambellini going to do about it?

-- Listen to Robin Brownlee every Wednesday and Thursday from 4 to 6 p.m. on Just A Game with Jason Gregor on TEAM 1260.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#51 Hemmertime
October 30 2009, 02:08PM

@Robin Brownlee

Well Randy Jones would have alleviated our problems

#52 Hemmertime
October 30 2009, 02:12PM
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

LA was ahead of us in the standings I believe. I thought our claim would be first.

#53 stilldrinkingthekoolaid
October 30 2009, 02:17PM

@The Fish

ha ha ha ha

#54 Dizzle
October 30 2009, 02:17PM

Ogden Brother Jr. wrote: Not that we didn't put a claim in on him, but LA was ahead of us in priority for the waiver wire.

Ogden Btrother,

you serious? LA has been ahead of us in the standings for some time, in fact they are still ahead of us after losing their last two. We clearly were ahead of LA in terms of having an oppourtunity to pick him up.

So the question is still....why didn't we?

#55 Robin Brownlee
October 30 2009, 02:22PM
cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan wrote:

it's pretty simple.

don't be a douchebag and brownlee won't call you on it.

this should be item #1 on the oilersnation code of conduct

Yes. Yes, I can, but no need to turn on each other. I was having some fun with the "discuss" comment, that's all.

And for BDSM or whoever it was asking about Penner, the No. 1 rule is don't piss me off, which is what you do when you tell me to "simma" or whatever that gangsta-wannabe word you used was.

As one poster said more forcefully than I, Penner is a longshot, at best, and deserves to be. Only here, in the bi-polar Heartland of Hockey, can 13 games turn a guy from pooch-screwing under-achiever to a Team Canada candidate. Penner's been very good so far, for sure, but he's not close to TC consideration yet.

#56 stilldrinkingthekoolaid
October 30 2009, 02:24PM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

Thank you for the "Bi-polar Heartland of hockey" comment. I have been searching for years for the proper way to describe Edmonton fans.

#57 Robin Brownlee
October 30 2009, 02:25PM
TDSM31 wrote:

Fawk cableguy, get your mouth off of Brownlee's cock. How about that for being #1 item on oilersnation code of conduct?

Nobody, including Cableguy, is performing fellatio on yours truly at the moment. Are you asking? Discuss . . .

#58 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
October 30 2009, 02:26PM

@Dizzle

Q: If more than one team claims a player on waivers, who gets him? A: It depends on when waivers is requested.

If before November 1, then priority is set by the final standings in the prior League’s Regular Season, with the worst team having 1st priority. If after November 1, then priority is set by the League standings at the time the waiver request is submitted; the team with the lowest percentage of possible points has 1st priority – meaning that the waiver order can change during the season. As per NHLSCAP

#59 Ogden Brother
October 30 2009, 02:30PM
Dizzle wrote:

Ogden Btrother,

So the question is still....why didn't we?

My understanding is that they go by last years standings up until Nov 1.

#60 Jmask5
October 30 2009, 02:34PM

Speaking of fellatio looks like Pisani, Comrie, Lubo and Staios will be playing in Boston or are at least flying with the team to Boston.

#61 Robin Brownlee
October 30 2009, 02:39PM
Jmask5 wrote:

How is that speaking of fellatio? No chance Staios plays in Boston. He's getting closer, but he's travelling with the team just so he can get back into the routine of skating and drills.

#62 Oil Fever
October 30 2009, 02:42PM
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

Gilbert has 13 all year so 10 a game is no where near close. He is also our top shot blocker on d right now. He may not be putting up the points, but like Horcoff too many people are on him simply because of his money.

Chorney has a higher giveaway rate then Gilbert, but he gets praised as if he is a god on here.

Ogden Brother Jr.

Sure people are on Horcs this year. IMO the majority are concerned about his playing disability heretofore rather than his wages.

It seems (his wages) to get thrown into the equation, more often than not, by the people that are defending him not the ones ragging on him.

Edmonton 5 Boston 2

#63 The Fish
October 30 2009, 02:49PM

@Jmask5

Are you insinuating that the 4 of them somehow fellate each other? I don't get it at all.

#64 swany
October 30 2009, 02:51PM

RB Howard was bad but you aren't giving the Oil any credit for the first 40 min, they passed the puck around that Wings D like they were a peewee team. The wings had all there D men in the game as well and the Oil made them look like crap for the first 40 min. While I agree with you on Howard the rest of the Wings were either bad or the Oil were good and I think the Oil were good and then sat back and let the Wings back in it. Howard let in 1 bad goals (Penner's) the rest were on Detroits D and while Habby made some great saves there were 2 he could have stop as well, the third goal the blast from the point and the 5 goal he was to deep

#65 Robin Brownlee
October 30 2009, 02:59PM
swany wrote:

Howard's footwork, particularly when moving laterally, was atrocious. His angles were way off and his rebound-control was abysmal.

Don't know what game you were watching, but if you're keen to credit the Oilers forwards and criticize Detroit's defence for that 4-0 lead with Howard stumbling around and kicking pucks back into the slot, go ahead.

#66 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
October 30 2009, 02:59PM

The Wings' D wasn't firing on all cylinders, either. I forget who was talking at the time, but I was just as shocked as the announcer at some of Lidstrom's lapses in judgement.

#67 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
October 30 2009, 02:59PM
swany wrote:

Howard could've had a shutout and I would've said he looked horrible. The guy was never in the right position which led to rebounds in the wrong areas and he couldn't move side to side in his net. No matter how bad the d is a goalie can't look that shaky in the NHL.

#68 Racki
October 30 2009, 03:02PM

In regards to "what is (and what can) GM Steve Tambellini going to do about (the issue with defense at the moment)?" Not to sound negative, but I'm pretty sure the Oilers are going to handle the need for a defenceman the same way they always have handled needs at this time of the year... do nothing about it.

In my opinion, it should have been considered a need before the season started anyways that they acquire a hitting / stay-at-home defenceman who's ankles don't touch the ice when he skates. I'm not sure if it's just that Tambellini and co don't see these same "needs" as pressing at all, or if they just are powerless to do anything about it. It's easy enough for me to say something like "why didn't they sign (random defensive defenceman) earlier before team X did?" or say they should have traded this guy for that guy, however I know that stuff is easier said than done.

I'd just like to know sometimes if Tambellini / Lowe are living in some sort of dream world where everything is perfect all the time or if they are concerned about things like this.

#69 TDSM31
October 30 2009, 03:05PM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

Brownlee,

I was just having fun with the "simma" comment, that's all.

No. 1A rule is don't piss me off, which is what you do when you tell me to "Write a complete sentence."

As one poster said more forcefully than I, "Brownlee, you can be a real miserable old buggar."

#70 swany
October 30 2009, 03:06PM

RB can you blame Howard on JFJ goal (a D-man has to knock him down or clear the puck) Hemmers brakeaway Horcs goal mouth scramble, even Hemmers PP goal the Oil passed that puck though them like the D wasn't even there even Habby would have been falling all over him self it went across ice 3 times before Hemmer shot that and yes he was out of position but couldn't Detriot stop 1 cross ice pass let alone 3 that's what we would be saying here in the heatland of Hockey. I'm not saying that the Oil were almighty great but just to say they only won because Howard sucks is wrong, it's because the Detiot team sucked for 40 min.

#71 Robin Brownlee
October 30 2009, 03:46PM
swany wrote:

I didn't say the Oilers "only" won because of Howard -- you have a habit of not reading what's written or not comprehending what you have read that drives me insane virtually every time you post here -- I said Howard was the main reason. Big difference.

I'm not trying to offer up a play-by-play analysis of the game here because people watched it and they don't need me going over every inch of the game again.

I'm looking for a hook -- a humorous angle if possible with Halloween here in this case -- and Howard was an obvious one. Pretending to be an NHL goalie. Costume. Ha-ha. Get it? Obviously not. I'm not going to begin a hard-and-fast, detailed analysis with Halloween references and a smart-ass remark (that I even feel the need to explain this makes my head want to explode).

Don't take every word, especially those offered in a humorous tone, literally and start twisting and grinding on every point.

#72 swany
October 30 2009, 04:03PM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

Sorry for being slow on the up take RB, I was just trying to point out that Howard wasn't totaly responsible for the loss, and that the Oil out played the Detiot team, and as far as Howard dressing up like a goalie Osgood does a great impression as well.

#73 Ogden Brother

Is this opposite day?

I'm loss today. I need a drink

#75 Ogden Brother
October 30 2009, 05:15PM
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

I'm loss today. I need a drink

Mother and I disaprove of the drinking.

#76 Jason Gregor
October 30 2009, 06:14PM

I too read what nhlcap said and it seems to make sense, but one no capologist said it was after 10 games. So I will try to find out who is correct. Ten games seems stange, because not all teams play ten games at same time, so how is that determined.

I can confirm..the OILERS did not put in a claim at any point. They had no interest and have no room under the cap.

They are juggling money just to try and find a way to put Pisani back on the roster.

I don't know the actual figure, but supposedly if you go over a certain amount on LTIR it overlaps the extra to next season.

This might explain why the Oilers don't just put Souray on LTIR and take Pisani off.

#77 Jason Gregor
October 30 2009, 06:16PM

NON-capologist...not sure if that is a word...but that is what I meant..ha

#78 Hemmertime
October 30 2009, 07:50PM

@Oil Fever

The way Horcoff is playing is he worth 5.5? No. Would I rather have Horcoff at 5.5 than 85% of the players making 4-5 mil? Yes. Least his caliber

#79 Racki
October 30 2009, 08:15PM

Just for the sake of argument, on the note of waiver order...

November 1st is the cut off for waiver order. If it's before November 1st, the order is determined by last year's standings, which would put Edmonton at 10th, behind:

Lightning (1), Islanders (2), Avalanche (3), Leafs (4), Kings (5), Thrashers (6), Coyotes (7), Senators (8), Stars (9).

But of course, the Oilers are at the cap anyways, with Pisani due back. I assume they're putting Souray on LTIR, but they probably want some wiggle room in the cap. But whoever said L.A. was ahead of us in waiver order was right, if I'm not mistaken.

#80 Racki
October 30 2009, 08:25PM

Sorry, I misunderstood the part about Souray on LTIR. That pretty much makes the whole waiver claim on Jones a moot point, but the explanation on waiver order still stands. :)

#81 Woodguy
October 30 2009, 09:17PM

Robin said:

"-- Speaking of STFU, Penner's been doing a pretty good job of sticking it up the backsides of knuckleheads like me who never thought he'd bounce back from two so-so seasons the way he has."

Chief Knucklehead is that stupid bastard Terry Jones.

I can't wait until he tells the rest of the team they need to play more like Moreau, like he did last year.

Hey Terry, pay attention to a game instead of a menu for a minute and you might have a clue about this team.

#82 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
October 31 2009, 07:48AM
Jason Gregor wrote:

10 games? I read November 1st?

Gregor seeing as there is so many issues with the cap that people aren't sure of. You think you could have Rick Olzyck do a Q&A on your show or even some sort of blog?

#83 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
October 31 2009, 08:28AM
TDSM31 wrote:

bring it on small fry

#84 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
October 31 2009, 08:29AM
The Fish wrote:

So you are not allowed to open something for discussion on this discussion based website? I was not aware that there were so many rules. This is not Warcraft which I am assuming you are balls deep in right now.

my bad. feel free to be a douchebag.

#85 roughneck
October 31 2009, 09:33AM

too bad don van massagenistic hoven tackled cogs in the third, that line was going to score that big 6th goal in regulation and go on a tear.

Bipolar in bf nowhere

#86 Robin Brownlee
October 31 2009, 10:06AM

LINE-UP UPDATE FOR TODAY: Just talked to JJ Hebert in Boston and it looks like Visnovsky and Pisani will both take the pre-game skate.

No firm word on whether one or both of them is in. Should hear more on the CHED pre-game show in the next hour.

#87 Racki
October 31 2009, 10:19AM
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

10 games? I read November 1st?

I agree on November 1st.

From NHLFA.com:

If the successful waiver claim is made before November 1st then the priority shall be determined by the final standing in the League's Regular Season schedule the preceding season.

#88 Jason Gregor
October 31 2009, 11:30AM
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

10 games? I read November 1st?

What I will do is ask people to submit any quesions they have to me at jason@justagame.ca.

I will write put this in a post next week, and then give guys a few days...Then I will ask all at once to a NHL guy and have all the answers laid out, so people can reference back to it.

Good idea, thanks.