GDB II: Setting the tone

Wanye
October 06 2009 09:50AM

We suppose you can’t judge a book by its cover, except in this case you can. The Oilers closed out an otherwise fairly inspired season opener the other night with a five alarm asstastic final act. We also suppose that Khabibulin can’t really be blamed for going out of his crease and misplaying a puck with the game on the line, except that you absolutely can too. He couldn’t have thrown a bigger wet blanket on the new season if he had picked off the Cirque du Soleil acrobats with a sniper rifle during the *ahem* opening ceremony for the season.

But, it’s a whole new day with a whole new opponent and one game into the season isn’t nearly time enough to pass judgment on this squadron. We have at least seven cycles of unreasonable optimism and soul crushing bouts of pessimism before we do that. Say want you want about Khabibulin, he showered off quick as a flash after game one and came out to face the assembled media hordes. That kind of courage is usually reserved for war veterans, firefighters and people willing to share a toilet seat with Paris Hilton.

GDB II be on deck and the Dallas Stars be riding into town high on the confidence that comes from being written off before the season starts by basically every single publication of note. If that isn’t enough to get you down, pretend Marc Crawford is your new coach. How the Stars managed to let a decent coach like Tippett go, only to bring in the Craw, completely escapes us. Luckily we could give two jolly squirts about the Dallas Stars or their saucy ice girls.

Pitying the Stars ain’t the order of the day. Handing them a face smashing defeat is. With a power play firing at 0% and a penalty kill that is 33% effective — how could things go awry?

Oh that reminds us

What are you planning to do for the game tonight? Are you going to RX1 to drink $8 beers? Sucker. Are you going to stay in your basement in your bathrobe and watch it on pay per view for a piddling $92 dollars? Please. Why not come and join us at the first Nation party of the Season at the newly opened bar called The Pint? It’s at 10125 109 Street. Could that be any closer to where you are at RIGHT NOW?

For those of you who haven’t been to a Nation Party before, they are a grand time. No one overtly makes a great display of being there “for the party.” Instead we stand on opposite sides of the room, much like the dances you attended in Junior High, undressing each other with our eyes. But unlike those awkward dances of yore, we now serve booze – and reasonably priced booze at that. Yes, after a few Oilers goals and a few BLs, we are knocking over tables and smashing bottles on each other’s heads. Or not – you decide.

Please, please, please come to the Pint. Gregor will be there and you know he wants to see you. And we'll be raffling off two tickets to the next Battle of Alberta on Thursday.

Oh and THAT reminds us

How’s about this brand spanking new Nation site?! Isn’t it everything you dreamed it would be in between dreaming dreams about Myley Cyrus being three years older, stranded at the Millwoods Bus Depot and looking for a ride somewhere? That is exactly how it has turned out for us too.

Yep, the Nations are looking pretty dang awesome these days and we couldn’t be more proud of the fine folks that have done the fine work to get these fine results. Over the next couple of weeks they will be finalizing it all, which will include moving over all of the old articles, pictures and commentary to our new home. Then they will add in some new features (including the much ballyhooed EDIT button) and a new thing that is pretty freaking wicked if you ask us. Shouldn’t be long till you can use this site for all sorts of things including filing your 2010 tax return!*

*no, not really.

We had to make the changes

Some of us might find a hiccup in the site somewhere or have a suggestion as to how things might be even further improved. That right there is the path to forward progress, and we invite you to send any suggestions you may have to our special friend over at bingofuel [at] oilersnation [dot] com. If you want to stop progress and keep things the same forever we offer you this cautionary tale:

Know what happens if you don’t take care of yourself by getting plastic surgery or a major database upgrade from time to time? You end up look old and tired and super crappy, like this undoctored picture we found of Lindsay Lohan last night. Remember if you will, that she is only 23 years old but looks like she just crawled out of a crypt.

We won’t let your Nation get that ugly.

Ever.

You have our word on it.

GDBDEUCE. Oilers 4 - Stars 2

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#51 Ender
October 06 2009, 01:48PM

I see the Habs picked up Marc Andre Bergeron. What does that tell you about the state of their D without Markov? Man I'm glad we're not them.

#52 RossCreekNation
October 06 2009, 01:54PM

We got paragraphs yet ?

#53 RossCreekNation
October 06 2009, 01:55PM
RossCreekNation wrote:

We got paragraphs yet ?

I

guess

not

#54 jeanshorts
October 06 2009, 01:56PM

As a Cowboys fan that mans shirt is very offens......OH MY GOD DID YOU JUST SAY A GIRL CAME BACK????

*straightens his bowtie, accidentally shoots himself in the eyes with a breath freshener, curls up in the fetal position, and life continues on as normal*

#55 RossCreekNation
October 06 2009, 02:01PM

RANDOM COMMENT OF THE DAY

Anyone ever notice how jobs and chicks are the same? One day (or week, scratch that - or month) it seems NO ONE will ever call you, and then as soon as 1 calls you with an offer, 2 or 3 others call with their "offers". What a cruel world.

*Quit playin games with my heart*

#56 Ender
October 06 2009, 02:05PM

RossCreek wrote:

*Quit playin games with my heart*

RossCreek or Dawson's Creek?

#58 Ender
October 06 2009, 02:28PM

@Wanye

Seriously, my friend; NKOTB? A million things to choose to represent yourself, and that's what you roll with? The Betty White thing we can look past, but this is honestly a bit much.

:-)

#59 RossCreekNation
October 06 2009, 02:29PM

@Wanye

Props on being user # 179 Wanye. I mean Citizen Alpha being 1 and bingofuel being 2 is expected, but Wanye at 179. Way to play your 'A' game ;-)

#60 GSC
October 06 2009, 02:36PM

The Dallas picture accompanying this article is epic.

#61 Senator Theo
October 06 2009, 02:42PM

I wasn't going to purchase the PPV tonight, but I just got a $15 credit from Bell last night, so it seems like fate has already purchased the game for me. Is anything I do, really my own decision? *runs off to eat a McDouble*

#62 Eddie Shore
October 06 2009, 02:44PM

Wow I didn't realize how thin this Dallas team is. This is a must win. We cannot lose to teams that will be below us in the standings.

#63 BUCK75
October 06 2009, 03:06PM
Eddie Shore wrote:

Agreed - that would be turning the page on last year. Although it is a PPV game...

#64 Ender
October 06 2009, 03:17PM
GSC wrote:

The Dallas picture accompanying this article is epic.

And it's not just his shirt either; dude is rockin' the hat too. I wonder what his gloves say?

#65 Skidplate
October 06 2009, 03:36PM

Edmonton: 3

Dallas: 1

#66 bingofuel
October 06 2009, 03:41PM

Any of you goons coming to the Pint tonight?

#67 Skidplate
October 06 2009, 03:42PM

Too far of a commute for me. Have a pint or 2 for me.

#68 bingofuel
October 06 2009, 03:49PM

@Skidplate

I'll have three.

#69 Ender
October 06 2009, 03:50PM
bingofuel wrote:

Any of you goons coming to the Pint tonight?

I'd like to, but I'll have to see if the wife says I can come out and play.

[obligatory whip crack]

#70 Colin
October 06 2009, 03:55PM

So what happened to Hudson's as a sponser?

Cool that the Pint is on board though.

Is there a regular season hockey pool (like the playoff one we did (and some of us sucked at.....)?

#71 Smokin' Ray
October 06 2009, 04:11PM

I wish I could be at the Pint tonight. But it's to far to drive for a game (in a bar). But... Paq Twinn will be there to represent Oilers Jambalaya for us.

I am going to make plans to attend the next Nation party. I want to stand there all awkward too. :(

Oilers win 4-2

Oops... I almost forgot. GAME DAY!!!

GOILERS!

#72 Travis Dakin
October 06 2009, 04:11PM

@jeanshorts

accidentally shoots himself in the eyes

now THAT is a pain I know all too well.

#73 Travis Dakin
October 06 2009, 04:13PM

@bingofuel

Try to give some of us a more advanced heads up about the parties. Are we following the PPV schedule? It takes a bit of planning but I really do want to come down for one.

And when I do I want a crew there. I want to meet everybody

#74 Smokin' Ray
October 06 2009, 04:14PM

Sweet. I just noticed that I'm the Gagner of OilersNation. User #89

Someday when there is 10,000 members, we can all sit back and say, "Hey Rookie! I'm #89 (insert your number), so that makes me a vet and that makes me right around here, even when I'm wrong."

Sweet!

#75 BUCK75
October 06 2009, 04:20PM

@Smokin' Ray

Until a new person takes this place over & says that we have to sit at the front of the plane/bus. Or sit in the visitor's locker room for training camp with the rooks.

#76 BUCK75
October 06 2009, 04:21PM

@Travis Dakin

Get a crew together! I'm game - even though I am JUST an hour away from downtown.

#77 Smokin' Ray
October 06 2009, 04:24PM
BUCK75 wrote:

Ugh! Foiled again. Is there anything you don't know?

#78 bingofuel
October 06 2009, 04:31PM
Travis Dakin wrote:

And when I do I want a crew there. I want to meet everybody

We'll definitely try and provide more advanced notice next time. This one just sort of cropped up out of nowhere...

If you're part of the Nation's Facebook Group, you shouldn't ever miss anything.

#79 Ender
October 06 2009, 04:31PM
RossCreekNation wrote:

I felt bad being 186 until I saw that. Then I didn't feel so bad anymore.

#80 freeze
October 06 2009, 04:44PM
bingofuel wrote:

Any of you goons coming to the Pint tonight?

I'm coming down around 6ish I think. What time is the Nation showing up?

#81 bingofuel
October 06 2009, 04:49PM
freeze wrote:

I'm coming down around 6ish I think. What time is the Nation showing up?

I'm gonna try and be there around 6 as well.

#82 freeze
October 06 2009, 06:18PM

In tha pint. Where are yall?

#83 Skidplate
October 06 2009, 06:46PM
Smokin' Ray wrote:

Sweet. I just noticed that I'm the Gagner of OilersNation. User #89

Sweet!

Hey Smokin' Ray, where do you see user#?

#84 Poo Czar
October 06 2009, 07:37PM

So this GDB ain't the GDB?

#85 Skidplate
October 06 2009, 07:41PM

@Poo Czar

I think everyone is in the other thread.

#86 Poo Czar
October 06 2009, 08:46PM
Skidplate wrote:

I think everyone is in the other thread.

You'd think that, but you'd be wrong. They appear to all be drunk at the Pint.

#87 Hoss
October 06 2009, 10:40PM

Oh man! Skinney penner is on his game! Keep it up Brother!

#88 Hoss
October 06 2009, 10:42PM

Oh man! Skinney penner is on his game! Keep it up Brother!

#89 treblecharger
October 07 2009, 01:17AM

Hey guys! How was The Pint... good place to see the game?