GDB II: Setting the tone

Wanye
October 06 2009 09:50AM

We suppose you can’t judge a book by its cover, except in this case you can. The Oilers closed out an otherwise fairly inspired season opener the other night with a five alarm asstastic final act. We also suppose that Khabibulin can’t really be blamed for going out of his crease and misplaying a puck with the game on the line, except that you absolutely can too. He couldn’t have thrown a bigger wet blanket on the new season if he had picked off the Cirque du Soleil acrobats with a sniper rifle during the *ahem* opening ceremony for the season.

But, it’s a whole new day with a whole new opponent and one game into the season isn’t nearly time enough to pass judgment on this squadron. We have at least seven cycles of unreasonable optimism and soul crushing bouts of pessimism before we do that. Say want you want about Khabibulin, he showered off quick as a flash after game one and came out to face the assembled media hordes. That kind of courage is usually reserved for war veterans, firefighters and people willing to share a toilet seat with Paris Hilton.

GDB II be on deck and the Dallas Stars be riding into town high on the confidence that comes from being written off before the season starts by basically every single publication of note. If that isn’t enough to get you down, pretend Marc Crawford is your new coach. How the Stars managed to let a decent coach like Tippett go, only to bring in the Craw, completely escapes us. Luckily we could give two jolly squirts about the Dallas Stars or their saucy ice girls.

Pitying the Stars ain’t the order of the day. Handing them a face smashing defeat is. With a power play firing at 0% and a penalty kill that is 33% effective — how could things go awry?

Oh that reminds us

What are you planning to do for the game tonight? Are you going to RX1 to drink $8 beers? Sucker. Are you going to stay in your basement in your bathrobe and watch it on pay per view for a piddling $92 dollars? Please. Why not come and join us at the first Nation party of the Season at the newly opened bar called The Pint? It’s at 10125 109 Street. Could that be any closer to where you are at RIGHT NOW?

For those of you who haven’t been to a Nation Party before, they are a grand time. No one overtly makes a great display of being there “for the party.” Instead we stand on opposite sides of the room, much like the dances you attended in Junior High, undressing each other with our eyes. But unlike those awkward dances of yore, we now serve booze – and reasonably priced booze at that. Yes, after a few Oilers goals and a few BLs, we are knocking over tables and smashing bottles on each other’s heads. Or not – you decide.

Please, please, please come to the Pint. Gregor will be there and you know he wants to see you. And we'll be raffling off two tickets to the next Battle of Alberta on Thursday.

Oh and THAT reminds us

How’s about this brand spanking new Nation site?! Isn’t it everything you dreamed it would be in between dreaming dreams about Myley Cyrus being three years older, stranded at the Millwoods Bus Depot and looking for a ride somewhere? That is exactly how it has turned out for us too.

Yep, the Nations are looking pretty dang awesome these days and we couldn’t be more proud of the fine folks that have done the fine work to get these fine results. Over the next couple of weeks they will be finalizing it all, which will include moving over all of the old articles, pictures and commentary to our new home. Then they will add in some new features (including the much ballyhooed EDIT button) and a new thing that is pretty freaking wicked if you ask us. Shouldn’t be long till you can use this site for all sorts of things including filing your 2010 tax return!*

*no, not really.

We had to make the changes

Some of us might find a hiccup in the site somewhere or have a suggestion as to how things might be even further improved. That right there is the path to forward progress, and we invite you to send any suggestions you may have to our special friend over at bingofuel [at] oilersnation [dot] com. If you want to stop progress and keep things the same forever we offer you this cautionary tale:

Know what happens if you don’t take care of yourself by getting plastic surgery or a major database upgrade from time to time? You end up look old and tired and super crappy, like this undoctored picture we found of Lindsay Lohan last night. Remember if you will, that she is only 23 years old but looks like she just crawled out of a crypt.

We won’t let your Nation get that ugly.

Ever.

You have our word on it.

GDBDEUCE. Oilers 4 - Stars 2

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#1 Tha Legion
October 06 2009, 09:57AM

Gah I want to go to the pint but I'm headed to rx1, I'll hit ip the next nation party

#2 BigE57
October 06 2009, 09:58AM

So Wanye.....with the look of the site it seems unemployment is agreeing with you.

#3 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
October 06 2009, 10:02AM

Still undecided if I'll watch the game. Don't have PPV so not sure I want to go to the bar and get ripped on a Tuesday.

I would like to see how the team bounces back after that loss. Also curious if Penner and Gagner keep their game up.

#4 Kyle S
October 06 2009, 10:05AM

Oilers 5 Stars 2

O'Sullivan gets his first (and almost 2nd as he hits the post late in the 3rd) and I pump a fist into the air while trying not to yell and wake the kids.

Hemsky and Horcoff get 2 pts a piece.

#5 bingofuel
October 06 2009, 10:11AM
Tha Legion wrote:

Damn, you know we have a good thing going when dudes like you are struggling with the choice of going to a game or coming to watch on PPV with the great unwashed... :)

#6 EricOG
October 06 2009, 10:12AM

Oilers 3, North Stars 0. Bulin comes back strong. On another note, Mr. Luongo got pulled last night. It looks like Bulin is not the only one with some kind of issue.

#7 risto
October 06 2009, 10:14AM

I didn't realize how much more expensive the hockey tickets have become - oh right, the team is losing money.......

Obviously not paying attention, but my nosebleed seats (I call them the ZZ Tops, from the old section #'ing system in the Coliseum) are now close to $50! They are awesome seats, but should come with a beer IV and feeding tube for that price.

Petty complaint about crappy food: the perogies @ the Northlands Coliseum are the smaller size this year, totally frozen and GROSS.

I hope the food is AWESOME at the Pint

BTW, the new ON page rocks! many thanks

#8 Tha Legion
October 06 2009, 10:14AM

@bingofuel

Much love to the nation, but it isn't a tough decision heh even if I am in the top row

#9 OvenChicken8 - Team JSBM
October 06 2009, 10:16AM

Tonights prediction brought to you by Ovens and Chickens and the Letter O.

Oilers 6 - Stars 1

Breakout game for Scortini (Gordie Howe Hat-trick). Gilbert -1.

Side note: I was going to go to the party but I ended up getting free Tickets instead.

#10 JeffG
October 06 2009, 10:17AM

The RX1 to drink $8 beers to see if the same intensity can be found 2 games in a row.

#12 smiliegirl15
October 06 2009, 10:26AM

The food at the Pint is awesome - we were there on Saturday. I hope Penner and Gagner keep up the good work.

#14 bingofuel
October 06 2009, 10:31AM
Tha Legion wrote:

I'm going to pretend you didn't say that.

#16 David S
October 06 2009, 10:34AM

I'll be at the game too. All the BP Pizza, chicken wings, beer sausage and vegetable rolls you can gullet. Thank the lord for Zantac 150's.

For you guys that have a personal aversion to PPV (like me), you can tune in to atdhe.net, your one-stop piracy answer to Oilers greed.

#17 blu
October 06 2009, 10:38AM

5-2 Oil.

That is all.

#18 The Fish
October 06 2009, 10:41AM

The ever lovin Oil 4 Stars 1

Peace, I'm outta here.

#19 NO Clue
October 06 2009, 10:51AM

5-1 Oil

Oiler goals by Penner, Hemsky, Sully, Comrie and JFJ. Stars goal by Toby Petterson Kabi lets in a week one then stands on his head.

Book it!

#20 Chris.
October 06 2009, 10:51AM

At least Zubov-The-Oiler-Slayer is no longer rolling in to town to challenge our 33% effective PK. Oilers 4 Dallas 3. OT.

#21 Hemmercules
October 06 2009, 10:52AM

I'm buying that PV for sure. Those jerk's just had to make game 2 PPV eh, WTF??? Maybe if I leave work now I can drive to edmonton in time for the party......

#22 bingofuel
October 06 2009, 10:55AM
Wanye wrote:

DID YOU SEE THAT GIRL CAME BACK BINGOFUEL!?

We can do NO WRONG.

#23 Chaz
October 06 2009, 11:01AM

Oilers will squeek out a 3-2 victory. Will be at the game tonight, but the party at the pint sounds great. I loved Junior High dances. Hopefully there won't be as many cases of "Boners in Sweat Pants". Those used to be downright awkward.

#24 I'm a Scientist!
October 06 2009, 11:25AM

I checked the SuperComputer and it told me the game is going to OT tonight... 3-2 for the Oil in OT... no shoot out. Gagner is getting the game winner. Book it.

*praces off on his unicorn*

#25 tricksnard
October 06 2009, 11:25AM

7-2 Oilers. I'm pissed and want the complete and utter destruction of the stars.

My boy Souray also destroys a pane of glass because he didn't like how the reflection made his hair look.

#26 I'm a Scientist!
October 06 2009, 11:29AM

Any idea what the line ups are tonight? Did Gagner earn the right to move up? Or does Quinn like his fighting skills?

#27 Hemmercules
October 06 2009, 11:32AM
I'm a Scientist! wrote:

I believe thay are the same but Nilsson will probably be in for Moreau, or Poo if his penis is healed up.

#28 I'm a Scientist!
October 06 2009, 11:36AM

So we would have Nilsson, Gags and Stortini on our 4th line? My star may shine tonight! Go Stortini!

#29 Duke
October 06 2009, 11:36AM

What the hell is wrong with the Dutch? The country that has come up with so many fine innovations like AMSTERDAM, and has provided music from the Van Halen brothers, whose music got a lot more folks laid than the Campbell brothers will ever get close to.

And, nothing like a PPV to kill the fan base momentum right off the bat.

If memory serves, and it usually doesn't, but i beleive the copper and blue are 2-25 in recent PPV's.

I'll listen to Rod and Bob, and perhaps flip on the CBC to see Tie Domi figure skate.

#30 JRocks247
October 06 2009, 11:45AM

Sportsnet is reporting that MAP is replacing Horcoff on the top line as he is out...

#31 Hemmercules
October 06 2009, 11:48AM
I'm a Scientist! wrote:

Looks like Cogs and Gagner will be our fourth liners with Nilsson taking Cog's spot. Stortini better play a violent game and protect those 2.

#32 Hemmercules
October 06 2009, 11:49AM
JRocks247 wrote:

Don't listen to Sportsnet, bush-league over there.

#33 Skidrow Gutterbum
October 06 2009, 11:49AM
JRocks247 wrote:

I'd much rather see Gags or Brule jump to the 1st line and MAP on the 3rd/4th

#34 Duke
October 06 2009, 11:50AM

Gregor already confirmed Horc is IN

#35 The Towel Boy
October 06 2009, 11:53AM

That is one smokin' hot picture of Lindsay Lohan up there. My word.

Oilers 5 - Stars 1

#36 Chris.
October 06 2009, 12:00PM
JRocks247 wrote:

Lineup according to Sportsnet:

JFJ-Poo-Hemmer

Sully-Comrie-Stone

Penner-Brule-Nilsson

Storts-Gags-Cogs

Ouch. Critical game and not one forward over thirty years of age... Fans should realize that the Islander forward core skates into every game with considerably more games of experience than the Oilers.

#37 JRocks247
October 06 2009, 12:00PM

"Gregor already confirmed Horc is IN "

Praise be to Jeebuz!

*Climbs down off the ledge*

#38 PatQuinn's Cheshair
October 06 2009, 12:02PM

OMFG Wayne! How could you post that pic of Lindsay. HOW COULD YOU! You have now rendered her useless as spankbank material. Thanks a bunch.

#39 Chris.
October 06 2009, 12:02PM
JRocks247 wrote:

"Gregor already confirmed Horc is IN "

Praise be to Jeebuz!

*Climbs down off the ledge*

Good. Kinda looked like Hemmer was auditioning for a fourth line role....

#40 JRocks247
October 06 2009, 12:03PM

"Gregor already confirmed Horc is IN "

Wait a minute...didn't Gregor also confirm Heatley was coming to E town?!?

*Starts climbing back up, while muttering something about religion and Simpson episodes*

#41 Ender
October 06 2009, 12:06PM
PatQuinn's Cheshair wrote:

That cannot really be her. I will not believe it.

#42 Chris.
October 06 2009, 12:07PM

Based on that momentary scare... who is still angry that the Oilers decided to resign Horcoff rather than drop him for some picks and prospects? (Before all the haters respond, please remember its a 5.5 cap hit, and saying they could use the money to sign another center is not the same as knowing they could attract an appropriate ufa replacement... (especially for less money)

#43 Ender
October 06 2009, 12:13PM

Wanye wrote:

[Khabibulin] couldn’t have thrown a bigger wet blanket on the new season if he had picked off the Cirque du Soleil acrobats with a sniper rifle during the *ahem* opening ceremony for the season.

It's hard to believe, but that might actually have made a couple more highlight reels than what he actually did. While not necessarily more cool, it certainly would have gotten more hits on YouTube.

Wanye wrote:

Whatever the Stars do tonight, they're doing it without Modano. He's listed as doubtful, which can't be a bad thing for the Oil.

I hope the Hobbit roughs up someone else tonight. That's entertainment!

#44 Librarian Mike
October 06 2009, 12:24PM

Lindsay Lohan is a hot tranny mess. It's a shame because she was once quite promising as an actress (not to mention that the was once pretty).

3-2 Oilers in a shootout. Khabibulin redeems himself with a glove save on Modano to take the extra point.

#45 socaldave
October 06 2009, 12:53PM

4-2 Oilers, Gags with an EN'er.

So who's going to Thursday's game against the lames? I'll be at RX1 for the first time this century!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#46 freeze
October 06 2009, 01:03PM

Trying to work out the details so I can make it to the Pint for the game. None of my friends are into a night out so far so if you see someone hogging a whole table by themselves it might be me so feel free to join.

Oh, and Oilers win 3-2 but something bad will happen...

#47 Skidrow Gutterbum
October 06 2009, 01:19PM

Bounceback game for 'Bulin. The hitting and outshooting trend continue as Crawford watches "Alex" Hemsky score a pair in an easy 5-1 win.

#48 brian glynn
October 06 2009, 01:28PM

@Librarian Mike

Lindsay Lohan is a hot tranny mess.

sad but true.

I'd love to party at the pint, but I'll be chugging smuggled Jager at RX1 tonight.

Please tell me the new thing is an option to bury comments. And also a working RSS feed.

4-1 Oil. No Modano, no Richards and an AHL defense means my boy Smid gets his first goal of the year.

#49 OILERSORDEATH
October 06 2009, 01:32PM

Oh my god that dudes shirt is Fu%$ng AWESOME!!! Where in the hell do you get something like that? I want one that says FU%$ the SEDINS, and Phanuf. Oh yeah Brule with 2 goals tonight 4-2 win

#50 smiliegirl15
October 06 2009, 01:36PM

What can I say? I am addicted to ON.