A game, a Pint, and a hangover

bingofuel
October 07 2009 12:34PM

Our first win of the season was a shoot-out goal by Ales Hemsky... seemingly appropriate for this young team (remember when we could ONLY win at shootout). And that last shot that won us the game wasn't a pretty one, either. Hemsky sort of fanned on the shot, didn't get his whole stick behind it.

At least, that's what I was told. I was too busy harassing other Nationeers, and enjoying the drinks and hospitality at the Pint. So essentially what I remember from last night is what you see in the photo above: a win and a bunch of colourful amorphous and friendly blobs. Also beer.

What I also saw...

I've never touted myself as a hockey expert, but three things happened last night that I wasn't expecting:

1. Penner, Gagner and Comrie all scored
  2. Khabibulin wasn't shriveled up like a raisin
  3. The boys in copper and blue were finishing their checks way more than they did last year.

Does this mean we can sound the bells and declare these guys playoff contenders two games into the regular season? Yes. We wouldn't be Oilers fans otherwise. Realistically, though, these guys are going to have to keep up and increase their physical play if they're going to be competitive throughout the year. And as most people predicted, it's going to get competitive.

You know what else has been awesome so far this season? The Canucks. Three straight losses and, according to freeze, Luongo blamed at least some of it on his defencemen. Real captainly of you there, pal.

So aside from a win last night, a slick new website, signing up to become Citizens of the Nation, and the approach of Thanksgiving this coming weekend... Can we be truly thankful for the team we have right now? When's Tambo going to make some hot moves and strengthen the roster?

When is this hangover going to go away?

243fa199ff6efc362bf29a17e950b47e
Bingofuel is the handsome cyborg who pulls all the levers behind the curtains of the OilersNation. When he isn't running the site, he's plugged into a wall socket, recharging. Or Brownlee and Wanye are playing "keep away" with him. He gets little to no respect.
#1 Horcsky
October 07 2009, 12:45PM

Penner's goal was sick. I dunno if anyone else has noticed, but Pens, Cogs, and Smid are outscoring Dany@#$%in Heatley so far! Woo!

#2 RyanB
October 07 2009, 12:48PM

Good game last night for the Oil. Other than the PK everything looks to be on the right track. Hemsky could be better but he'll come around.

Watched the PPV at home last night. How is The Pint? The Fox was pretty skeezy and really only a good place to go if you wanted to be shot or stabbed. Can I assume that The Pint is better?

#3 Vanguard
October 07 2009, 12:52PM

Hmm, 12:52pm and the only Nation article is a quicky by Bingofuel despite the Oil having earned their first W last night. Think the shaker at the Pint may have been a factor here???

Time for Penner to rejoin Hemmer and Horc for a while. He'd definatley making my star prediction look solid right now!

#6 Horcsky
October 07 2009, 12:54PM
Vanguard wrote:

And Gagner is making my goat prediction look like crap! Can't complain about that though. Hope he scores 82

#7 Senator Theo
October 07 2009, 12:57PM

Great game last night, and I'm loving the new site so far.

How many citizens have registered so far? Have you guys thought about a running counter somewhere on the site?

I know I've mentioned it once before, but I would love a button ant the bottom of the page (Maybe the Oilersnation logo?) that could return me to the home page. That would make switching bewtween posts a lot easier. Cheers!

#8 The Towel Boy
October 07 2009, 12:57PM

Sure wish I coulda been there. This article only serves up a heaping mound of salt in my wound. Thanks bingofuel...thanks.

/sadtrombone

#10 The Towel Boy
October 07 2009, 12:59PM
Horcsky wrote:

He's certainly on pace for that, isn't he! Does that mean Ovechkin is going to possibly score about 137 goals this year? I sure hope so.

#11 THREE 1ST NAMES
October 07 2009, 01:00PM
Senator Theo wrote:

Great game last night, and I'm loving the new site so far.

i agree with the return to the Home Page button or a back to the top buttom

#12 Amber McCormick
October 07 2009, 01:00PM

Last night surely was good times. It was great to see you and Wanye. I met Librarian Mike! Get this, he's a librarian named Mike. Go figure! I always thought it was irony. I mean, I go by Amber and have a photo of a blonde girl when, in fact, I'm a 63 year old ex-circus midget with a bad case of pink eye.

#13 The Towel Boy
October 07 2009, 01:00PM

@bingofuel

Oh! You! ...it's on.

*travels to future to pick up a copy of the 2009/2010 Sports Almanac*

#14 Hemmertime
October 07 2009, 01:02PM
Horcsky wrote:

omg, 3 people are outscoring one two games into the season? Amazing! Heatley is only on pace for 137 points? Im so glad we didnt get him since if you combine 7 players we totally are going to to get 138 pts and its a win for us.

Sigh.

#15 The Towel Boy
October 07 2009, 01:03PM
Amber McCormick wrote:

I knew it. I could tell by the way you type.

#16 Horcsky
October 07 2009, 01:03PM

@The Towel Boy

Haha, if anyone can score 137, it's Alex the Great

#17 Horcsky
October 07 2009, 01:05PM
Hemmertime wrote:

Sigh.

Hey I want Heatley on this team as bad as anyone, but since he ain't, might as well celebrate the players we were gonna trade for him outscoring him while it lasts (it won't last)

#18 Amber McCormick
October 07 2009, 01:06PM

@The Towel Boy

I know my R's are very masculine.

#19 blu
October 07 2009, 01:08PM

Just watched footage of Penner's goal.

Hot friggen damn.

These first two games have been the most exciting Oilers hockey I've seen in a while.

It's nice to see the odd body check.

#20 The Towel Boy

#22 THREE 1ST NAMES
October 07 2009, 01:09PM
The Towel Boy wrote:

Is this the trick...

For making paragraphs?

Did it work?

looks like you figured it out

#23 JRocks247
October 07 2009, 01:09PM
Horcsky wrote:

Haha, if anyone can score 137, it's Alex the Great

He or Wilt Chamberlain...

#24 Horcsky
October 07 2009, 01:12PM

@JRocks247

Haha. I was referring to goals, not baskets or women ~jeez~

#25 Hemmercules
October 07 2009, 01:14PM
The Towel Boy wrote:

It.

Sure.

Did.

teach me the trick

#26 JorgeR
October 07 2009, 01:17PM

Score Gagner Score!

#27 Poo Czar
October 07 2009, 01:21PM

Wait, how does one become an ex-midget???

#28 Pokey K
October 07 2009, 01:21PM

A great time for all last night. It was fantastic to meet and greet the mini-horde of Nation readers... and a win for our Oil.

As I sat beside Bingofuel (you smell) I was beginning to think the only reason it was called "The Pint" was because I was only going to get one. But as the night went on the brews managed to find their way to our table and all was good. Overall, a great night for an Oilers game.

P.S. Nice goal Penner. You must have infused a Booster Juice into that pre-game donair.

#29 Jeff
October 07 2009, 01:24PM

Here is what I noticed:

Gagner is a man on a mission. He is not messing around.

Souray gets more excited when his team mates score than when he does. Awesome guy and awesome player, glad we have him.

Penner's goal was pure skill. He made a difficult play look easy.

Hopefully we can get a win in regulation against the Lames on Thursday.

#30 Hemmertime
October 07 2009, 01:26PM
Poo Czar wrote:

Wait, how does one become an ex-midget???

Wear high heels and call yourself a dwarf.

#31 Ambassador humantorch
October 07 2009, 01:27PM

I've heard that your RSS feed is b0rken.

#32 Senator Theo
October 07 2009, 01:27PM

I loved how the tough energy guys we sent out after Dallas would score were Cogs, Gagner and Storts. No one wants to mess with Gagner anymore!

#34 Poo Czar
October 07 2009, 01:31PM

Oh hell, in that case I've been a weekend ex-midget for YEARS.

#35 The Fish
October 07 2009, 01:32PM

Souray is one bad mofo.

#36 The Towel Boy
October 07 2009, 01:33PM
Hemmercules wrote:

teach me the trick

Put a p between < > where you want your paragraph to start and I think it adds the spacing.

I think.

#37 I'm a Scientist!
October 07 2009, 01:42PM

I walked past The Pint on my way to work this morning half expecting to see the Wanye passed out in front, but instead, all looks calm and clean. The only thing that was a little off was the sweet sweet stench of victory in the air. I wouldn't mind if that stench permeated my nostrils on a daily basis...

#38 The Towel Boy
October 07 2009, 01:43PM
I'm a Scientist! wrote:

There are very few stenches that I would allow to permeate my nostrils on a daily basis...but I do agree, Victory is one of them.

Also...the stench of freshly baked cinnamon buns.

#39 Cool Beans
October 07 2009, 01:43PM

@ Bingofuel

Is that an ascott you are sporting in your photo?

#40 Rigger
October 07 2009, 01:49PM
Jeff wrote:

Here is what I noticed:

Gagner is a man on a mission. He is not messing around.

Penner's goal was pure skill. He made a difficult play look easy.

Hopefully we can get a win in regulation against the Lames on Thursday.

Haha! Studly McWonderbomb is so badass. Didn't even flinch when he broke those two panes of glass in pre-season. Awesomeness wrapped up in a fabulously hairstyled package.

Gagner is making the most of his limited minutes. Good on him, hope he keeps it up and continues to get rewarded. Ole grey balls rewarded him and a couple other guys with extra mins in the third too.

#41 Rigger
October 07 2009, 01:50PM
Hemmertime wrote:

Wear high heels and call yourself a dwarf.

Hey now, it's little people. LOL

#42 Rigger
October 07 2009, 01:52PM
Senator Theo wrote:

I know, took me a minute to adjust and make sure the drugs weren't taking over my vision. Sam "The Tank" Gagner steamrollin with Andrew "Crust" Cogliano and The Zach Attack. Super!

#43 Vaclav
October 07 2009, 01:53PM

@The Fish

No kidding. Nice ragdoll on Barch. All 6'2" 210 lbs of him.

#44 BUCK75
October 07 2009, 02:15PM
The Fish wrote:

Souray is one bad mofo.

Apparently he is going to be featured in ESPN magazines "the body" issue along with Moreau & Cogliano.

Girls will be rushing the newstands for pics of Souray that look something like this...

hxxp://www.espncms.com/index2.aspx?id=261

or...

hxxp://www.showbizgossips.com/sarah-reinertsen-espn-the-body-issue/1528

or...

hxxp://newsnidea.com/16066/espns-body-issue-serena-williams-dwight-howard-adrian-peterson-naked-photos-gallery/?pid=2718

#45 BUCK75
October 07 2009, 02:20PM

Here is the one of Chara - from puckdaddy

hxxp://www.twitpic.com/kmh2g

#46 Librarian Mike
October 07 2009, 02:23PM
Amber McCormick wrote:

At least you don't look like Kelly Buchberger...

#47 dietflannel
October 07 2009, 02:27PM

Why was Gilbert playing low on the PK? He's our least-physical defenseman and he's the one who's in charge of clearing the crease? Com'on!

#48 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
October 07 2009, 02:33PM

Anyone get laid last night? Pint good for chicks?

#49 Tha Legion
October 07 2009, 02:33PM

Yep fine game last night indeedy

#50 Balf82
October 07 2009, 02:48PM

Sidenote:

Did anyone catch "King's Ransom" on ESPN last night?

I hope we get it in Canada soon, because my buddy in Seattle told me that the documentary praised Edmonton.

Basically a movie on..."The Trade."