The Millennium Place Line Juggle

Jason Gregor
October 07 2009 03:33PM

The Oilers skated at Millennium today. All except four guys, that is.

Sheldon Souray wasn’t on the ice, but similar to Shawn Horcoff yesterday, it was a day of maintenance for Souray. Steve Staios also sat out, after getting his bell rung last night. Pat Quinn said they will re-evaluate Staios tomorrow. Dustin Penner, who has been the best forward so far, didn’t take part in practice and it sounds like his was a mix of a day of maintenance, but also he was resting some sort of minor injury.

Marc Pouliot didn’t skate, because according to Quinn he has re-injured himself and he is at least a week away from playing again.

Ethan Moreau did skate, and after spending the last few days being hooked up to an IV, to fight off the infection in his ankle, he said he felt great and expects to play tomorrow.

The Oilers only skated for 45 minutes, but the lines were all different. Quinn cautioned that the changes were due to the guys not skating, but expect to see some minor shuffles in the lineup come tomorrow.

Penner will skate with Horcoff and Ales Hemsky if he plays. Quinn moved Penner up to that line in the third because, “The play was stalling with that line. I didn’t think Horcoff had much going early, and Penner was playing well so I moved him up,” said Quinn.

JF Jacques skated with Sam Gagner and Patrick O’Sullivan, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see them as a combo. Comrie and O’Sullivan have given Quinn some fits with their defensive zone coverage so he might lean towards splitting them up.

Again, we won’t know for sure until the morning skate tomorrow, but you will see some line juggling. The other lines were Stone, Brule and Nilsson, while Cogliano, Comrie and Stortini skated together. I don’t see any chance that Stone, Brule and Nilsson will be a line tomorrow, because if Moreau plays I’m guessing either Nilsson or Stone comes out.

Nilsson made a great pass to Penner on his goal, but also had a few giveaways, while Stone had another big hit for the second game in a row.

Some have wondered when JDD will play, and it looks like he won’t play until the road trip. Quinn wants Khabibulin to get more comfortable, so unless he stands on his head tomorrow, I think Quinn is leaning towards playing him the next two games, before we get to see Deslauriers and his bright orange pads between the pipes.

I think it is better to get Khabibulin comfortable, than get Deslauriers a game. Deslauriers will get his games eventually but it's clear Khabibulin needs to find his game.

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#1 Balf82
October 07 2009, 03:40PM

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULIN

#2 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
October 07 2009, 03:43PM

I thought next week against Nashville would be a good start for JDD.

Can't see how Nilsson stays in over Stone tomorrow. We will need as much grit against the flames as possible.

So what is the maintenance with all these guys?

And Pouilot like your Grandma said it is to be looked at not touched.

#3 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
October 07 2009, 03:52PM

Oh yes I forgot about the paragraph thing

#4 blu
October 07 2009, 03:55PM

you forget about the paragraph thing

to your detriment

and ours

#5 I'm a Scientist!
October 07 2009, 03:55PM
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

I thought next week against Nashville would be a good start for JDD.

So what is the maintenance with all these guys?

And Pouilot like your Grandma said it is to be looked at not touched.

I am pefectly fine with the fact that he can't get enough of himself... damn goat.

#6 Travis Dakin
October 07 2009, 03:56PM

That is an AWESOME picture!

#7 blu
October 07 2009, 03:57PM

Odgen Bro Jr ... I've been reading your name Ogden prior to this. No idea why.

#wtf

#8 SirFozz
October 07 2009, 04:01PM

@blu

Don't feel bad, I did the same thing with senior for awhile.

#9 Ogden Brother
October 07 2009, 04:02PM

Hey Gregor, is the coaching staff starting to lose confidence in JFJ?

ie is Penner being rewarded or JFJ being "punished".

#10 Travis Dakin
October 07 2009, 04:03PM
blu wrote:

Odgen Bro Jr ... I've been reading your name Ogden prior to this. No idea why.

#wtf

me too!!!

#11 Ogden Brother
October 07 2009, 04:04PM
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

Oh yes I forgot about the paragraph thing

You spelt it wrong! Your a disgrace to the brotherhood.

#12 I'm a Scientist!
October 07 2009, 04:07PM
Ogden Brother wrote:

You spelt it wrong! Your a disgrace to the brotherhood.

Well, this is awkward...

*Tip toes over to the punch bowl to watch the Brotherhood crumble while sipping a nice glass of punch*

#13 swany
October 07 2009, 04:12PM

It didn't take Gagner long to move up the latter good for him

#14 SirFozz
October 07 2009, 04:14PM

@I'm a Scientist!

mmmmm, punch

#15 I'm a Scientist!
October 07 2009, 04:21PM

@SirFozz

*Cheers*

#16 Panda
October 07 2009, 04:22PM
Ogden Brother wrote:

Hey Gregor, is the coaching staff starting to lose confidence in JFJ?

ie is Penner being rewarded or JFJ being "punished".

I thought JFJ didn't play that badly against Calgary last Saturday and he wasn't great last night against Dallas but he didn't make any major mistakes. I don't think the coaching staff would "punish" someone base on a game or two unless he caused us a game. I think Horcoff is struggling somewhat on the first line and maybe adding someone on a hot streak might give him some confident and motivate him to move his feet. Afterall, your first line should be your greatest contributor and if Penner is finding his game, he should be moved to the first line to help with your team's primary scoring. I am not a big fan of JFJ yet but I don't think it would be fair to say he is being punished.

I might be off, but this is just my thoughts.

P.S: I would love to see Stone rather than Nilsson for tomorrow night against Calgary just for the size sake.

#17 Ogden Brotheer
October 07 2009, 04:35PM
Panda wrote:

I might be off, but this is just my thoughts.

Ya that's why I put the "" around punished vs nothing on reward..... ie JFJ isn't getting it dont vs Penner being too good to hold back.

#18 Shannon
October 07 2009, 04:35PM

I love that picture and how happy the cats look. Too funny.

I think Khabi needs a few more games, but I really believe that JDD is hungry, ready and wants to prove that he's a valuable part of the team. Time will tell, I guess.

#20 Ogden Brother
October 07 2009, 04:35PM

....if that makes any sense.

#21 Ogden Brother
October 07 2009, 04:38PM
Jason Gregor wrote:

No...Penner is being rewarded and Quinn didn't like Horcoff or Hemsky's game v. Dallas, so he moved Penner up there with the hope it could jump start both of them.

Penner has proven more and probably deserves to be there, but Jacques if far from the doghouse at this point.

Thanks man.

#22 Librarian Mike
October 07 2009, 04:46PM

Seeing Jacques with Gagner and O'Sullivan is going to look like a father/son game. That said, it seems like a nice combo.

While it's still early, it's been nice to see Penner so far. You can really tell he has a new lease on life.

#23 Crackercats
October 07 2009, 04:53PM

Anyone notice Penner disappear in the third once he went to the top line? Even though Hemsky was flying Dustin was nowhere to be found, he is simply not a good fit.

#24 Smokin' Ray
October 07 2009, 04:59PM

Wouldn't having a better guy than Stone to play with Comrie/O'Sullivan be better than splitting those two up? Maybe Penner could have been paired up with those two? I just think that those two (91/19) have played too well together to be split. Defensive zone troubles or not.

It's a pretty sad day when Penner is the one bringing a line up rather than Hemsky. I thought Hemsky wanted to be the "guy"? He sure hasn't showed it (other than the last 10 minutes of last nights game).

#25 Smokin' Ray
October 07 2009, 05:01PM
Crackercats wrote:

Are you for real?

~Yeah... Penner sucks.~

#26 BRHL Commish
October 07 2009, 05:02PM

One would have to figure to see Nilsson out if Moreau is back in, especially against the Flames.

One good sign for the team is that the offense has came from everywhere, but the top line. When Hemsky gets it kicking, this could be the deep forward scoring core we have been clamoring for for years

#27 quicksilver ballet
October 07 2009, 05:05PM

Jason

We've taken it upon ourselves to chip in and get Robin a set of pink balls to hang off the hitch of his vehicle.He speaks very passionately about these but i feel his true feelings scream he wants a set.

We're in the parking lot right now....whats he drive?

#28 Kingsblade
October 07 2009, 05:06PM
Crackercats wrote:

Of course. One period of hockey is more than enough time to evaluate a players "fit" with a line.

Nevermind that he has already proven in the past to be the best fit available on this team.

#29 Smokin' Ray
October 07 2009, 05:09PM
quicksilver ballet wrote:

Jason

We're in the parking lot right now....whats he drive?

It's not a KIA.

#30 Horcsky
October 07 2009, 05:17PM
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

I thought next week against Nashville would be a good start for JDD.

So what is the maintenance with all these guys?

And Pouilot like your Grandma said it is to be looked at not touched.

I'm also curious to hear more about the minor injuries, or "maintenance". I hope we're not accumulating a bunch of nagging injuries that will plague these guys through the season already

#31 Citizen Alpha
October 07 2009, 05:17PM

I want to frame that picture.

Also, comment paragraphs should be fixed soon. Your shift fingers will get a break.

#34 Smokin' Ray
October 07 2009, 05:22PM
Jason Gregor wrote:

Navigator....

And Ray...the Sorento is a sweet ride...

I know... just bugging.

#35 rubbertrout
October 07 2009, 05:30PM
Jason Gregor wrote:

Navigator....

And Ray...the Sorento is a sweet ride...

Are we back to the KIA love in? Gregor I think you love that car too much especially given last evening's sausage party.

#36 David S
October 07 2009, 05:38PM

Hmmm...sweet pass for a sweet goal or an extra hit or two. Tough choice there man.

It was pretty obvious Nilsson was a bit outta sync last night, probably from sitting out a game. But both Stone and JFJ looked pretty weak out there.

#37 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
October 07 2009, 05:42PM
Citizen Alpha wrote:

I want to frame that picture.

what else would my shift fingers be doing?

**runs away giggling and waits for the yo momma jokes to spiral out of control**

#39 Citizen Alpha
October 07 2009, 06:19PM

If things went well,

There should be paragraphs,

with no steeeenking p tags

#40 Smokin' Ray
October 07 2009, 06:21PM

When

right

now?

#41 Smokin' Ray
October 07 2009, 06:26PM

YAY! By do I ever feel special being here for this milestone. Someday, I'm going to tell my grand children that we used to have to put in the "code" to get a paragraph. Not this easy, enter button thing.

But really though. Thanks. I'm lazy and forgetful. Not a good combo.

And just so everyone knows... I drive 1991 Crown Victoria.

#42 Librarian Mike
October 07 2009, 06:38PM

@Smokin' Ray

I get around in a $250,000 vehicle, and finding parking downtown is never an issue. (AKA the '5').

#43 BarryS
October 07 2009, 07:00PM

@Citizen Alpha

I was reviewing some previous posts and noted my avatar was changed. how can it be returned to BarryS

??I must have changed to MC since my number is 91. Does this mean he has to be my star??

#44 jt in Oilertown
October 07 2009, 07:04PM

I like the looks of those lines, but I'd switch Stone and Stortini (positions notwithstanding).

#45 BarryS
October 07 2009, 07:04PM

@Smokin' Ray

"And just so everyone knows... I drive 1991 Crown Victoria."

-Does this mean you drive a taxi?-

Captain of a grey '99 gizermobile |(Buick Century)

#46 RossCreekNation
October 07 2009, 07:20PM

@Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach

You spelled your name wrong!?

#47 RossCreekNation
October 07 2009, 07:20PM

@Ogden Brother

Witness...

#48 RossCreekNation
October 07 2009, 07:21PM

@Ogden Brotheer

Ummm... ? Whatchya guys smokin?

#49 RossCreekNation
October 07 2009, 07:22PM
Ogden Brother wrote:

You spelt it wrong! Your a disgrace to the brotherhood.

CORRECTION: Witness...

#50 Smokin' Ray
October 07 2009, 07:24PM
BarryS wrote:

"And just so everyone knows... I drive 1991 Crown Victoria."

-Does this mean you drive a taxi?-

Captain of a grey '99 gizermobile |(Buick Century)

No. In essence, it's like the old cop cars. It's white too. Every once in a while I see someone hit the breaks. Then they realise it's 2009.

It's my go to car (READ:work beater). Is obvious that I have nothing to prove anymore? (READ:Married) To be honest I hate the damn car. But it's all I got for now. My 1979 chev pickup is dead and the wife gets the (never thought I would own one) new mini van.

*cries* I used to drive a Camaro before the kids. *shakes fist at the world*