Down to the final seconds. Again

Jason Gregor
October 09 2009 01:00AM

For the second straight game v. the Flames the Oilers gave up a goal in the final minute, and this morning they find themselves already five points behind the Flames.

The Oilers played well enough in both games against Calgary to earn a win, but they didn’t. Pat Quinn didn’t critique the effort, but was annoyed about small plays, but the Jarome Iginla hit on Sheldon Souray really got his Irish blood boiling.

“It was a pretty dirty play in my opinion. You poke his feet out and then pile on him on top of that. Somehow they never deal with that crap, and they (the league) won’t let the vigilante stuff deal with it.”

When asked if Ethan Moreau going after Iginla was the right decision, Quinn said what many hard core hockey fans feel at times.

“In the area that I come from you do dirt with dirt. You don’t give him honour. Why would you give a man honour for that kind of a play and he honoured him with a fist fight.”

Quinn was understandably irate with the play, and I can understand why. Iginla is a hard nosed player, and an honourable one. I doubt he meant to hurt Souray, but it was still a dangerous play. When a D-man has to go back for a puck straight on, rather than from an angle, it is much more dangerous and forwards have to be aware of where their stick goes. Because it was accidental doesn’t give Iginla a free pass. It was a dangerous, not cheap, play.

Quinn was also irritated with Hemsky’s effort with the Flames goal empty.

“We had a chance to make a play to put it in the open net and we dicked around with the thing. We found a way to give them an opportunity to get in it. Was it lucky, yeah I guess it was?”

He also talked about making the right decision in the final moments in the offensive zone.

“In tight games you play percentages all the time. You don’t try to score another goal when it’s so high percentage to trap yourself. The guy who put the puck there trapped himself. Sure he got back and got organized, but then it went in from a bad angle. We can’t battle like we did all night long and lose.”

Rather than be satisfied with a good effort, Quinn is demanding more from his players, and until they start winning I don’t see that changing. This team needs to understand how to make the smart plays at the key times in games. Making the correct play at these important times is the difference between winning and losing. The Oilers have to learn how to win, and Quinn seems hell bent on ensuring that his players understand it.

Quinn wasn’t just grumpy though. He had this to say when asked about the Souray, Moreau and Andrew Cogliano photo shoot that had them posing naked for ESPN.

“It’s a new life I guess. They didn’t ask me. I don’t understand that,” he laughed. “I haven’t seen it yet, but Beefcake has always been Beefcake as far as I know.”

That picture will generate lots of reaction. I’m guessing some homophobes will cringe, while most of the women’s panty sprinklers will be on high.

Quinn’s post game comments have been incredibly entertaining. It is refreshing to hear someone speak from the heart, and you have to think that if he keeps challenging his players to be better, that eventually the wins will follow.

Wake up, people

I love that the web, and specifically that the Nation allows everyone to vent, but sometimes I wonder if some of you can only whine and complain.

Do you actually think Khabibulin was bad last night? If so, you should get some glasses. Khabibulin played fine. The save he made on the 5 on 3 was great. Sure, he looked shaky in the first two games, but if you want to be a sofa scout; understand that you evaluate a player on the current game, not the previous ones. Khabibulin has progressively gotten better, and last night he was solid.

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#1 Wanye
October 09 2009, 01:01AM

"Do you actually think Khabibulin was bad last night? If so, you should get some glasses." How dare you Sir. My glasses are intact.

#2 Dimensha
October 09 2009, 01:10AM

"women’s panty sprinklers will be on high."

HAHA.....nice one Gregor, way to keep things classy

#3 Quinn's Chesthair
October 09 2009, 01:53AM

Thank's for the chuckle gregor "pantysprinklers" just awesome.

#4 Whirlwind
October 09 2009, 05:35AM

The oilers are playing better that is for certain but something has to give. The bulin wall is getting better and more comfortable in net but I think we need more talent upfront. Hemsky has been invisible and I might consider taking a bucket of pucks for horcoff right now. Maybe it is time to trade some of the high priced dead weight. Just a thought and yes I know it is still early in the season.

#5 jayoilfan
October 09 2009, 07:13AM

WHAT F%#@ING WAY TO END the GAME. Yes I am yelling mad. Man was I mad. They had the puck in the Flames end with 30seconds left. Hold on to the f'ing puck, play keep away, cycle it, what ever but don't give it back to the Flames. That is what lost them the game.

"Pantysprinklers" just about made up for it. but not quite. That is the quote of the season so far! Too funny JG!

I too, thought Khabibulin played very good. Not much you can do on deflections (two fo the plames goals). The Flames had a lot more scoring chances than the Oil and Khabibulin was the difference there.

Lets pound on the Habs to make us feel better Saturday night. Something like a 15-2 score would be nice...

#6 Reagan
October 09 2009, 07:31AM

Last nights game was deserved. They got away from any form of team play to start the second. By the third the lazy mistakes were happening. For a second game in a row, every time Horcoff jumped over the boards, I had a hard time watching(Hand over my eyes when he approached touching the puck). I do not know what it is with this guy this season but something isn't working. Pressure from a big contract? The team was hopping in the first but died by the third. Oh, well 81 games to go. Plently of time to iron out the wrinkles. Entertaing to say the least. Loved the PIE to the face. Nice work...

#7 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
October 09 2009, 07:34AM
Reagan wrote:

81 games to go?

82-3=81?

#8 Milli
October 09 2009, 07:49AM

Bulin was great. Horc wasn't bad. I thought the same thing about hemmer on the empty net, good god man, put that fing puck away. Totally cheap play by Iginla. Any word on Souray?

#9 BingBong
October 09 2009, 07:50AM

Ugh. Another brual loss. This is getting hard to take. Although he scored, Hemsky looked like garbage out there. Everytime he touched the puck he just turned it over. Was tough to watch. I usually defend Moreau - funny enough he scored as well - but man, BRUTAL play towards the end. Nice to see Quinn call him out on it. Way too many turnovers last night, from Hemsky's moves that don't work to Comrie's little drop passes (flashback!!!). I sure liked Stone though - he threw some nasty hits out there. Bottom line - this team continually makes horrible decisions with the puck and that will hopefully change with Quinn here. I did think Bulin played well though - MUCH better than the previous games. It looks like he finally figured out what "angles" are, and was quicker following the play.

#10 BUCK75
October 09 2009, 07:51AM

I totally forgot about hemsky's weak pass attempt to Horcoff that would have iced the game for us. God Damn it Hemsky, quit being so nice & be an effin puck hog once & while.

#11 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
October 09 2009, 07:54AM

Bulin was great yesterday, bad bounces but he made some assume saves.

Moreau I was going to rip you a new one, but you redeemed yourself first with the goal then the fight. You are now allowed a free screwup tomorrow.

Lubo stepped it up once Souray went down and it was also nice to see Quinn roll the lines without issue.

Now Gregor here are my complaints:

Why aren't we using the boards like Calgary is? Those bank shots just seem to be the in thing.

I hope Stone tones down his hitting. Too many hits behind the play that are going to be called roughing or interfernce. He doesn't bring enough that he can afford to take a penalty a game.

All and all I can accept that lose.

#12 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
October 09 2009, 07:58AM

One more comment. Didn't like Quinn's comment on Iginla. Iginla didn't even hit him, they slipped. Then Iginla risked the 5 minutes and squared off with our 4th liner. He then allowed Moreau to get up after a slip, instead of pounding the crap out of him. I thought Iggy was very standup last night and he isn't know for being a cheap player so I give him the benefit of the doubt.

#13 Jeff
October 09 2009, 08:14AM

Last night was one of those frustrating games that can't be explained. I don't think the Flames scored a single goal that didn't bounce off of a couple of players. But what do I know? Maybe the Flames practice bouncing pucks off players in front of the net.

#14 Homie
October 09 2009, 08:15AM
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

He should have squared off after what happened with Souray and its says a lot about him that he didn't back down when Moreau came after him. I doubt it was intentional, but it was a high risk play that took one of the Oilers' best players out of the game. He should just be glad Souray wasn't able to get up and "barch" him later in the game.

#15 Next Year Country
October 09 2009, 08:30AM

Do these guys even want to win? They keep finding ways to lose to the Flames! I am so tired of paying my money to sit in the stands and watch the Oil give the game away to Calgary. Missed opportunities... missed opportunities... missed opportunities. I'm so tired of paying my money and sitting there being mocked by Flames fans when they score and when they walk out of our building with two points. I'm tired or Phaneuf and Regher cheapshoting our guys and nothing being done about it. Iggy sure sugarcoated his cheap hit on Sourey in the post-game interview. Good for Stone for showing some grit. I really liked Strudwick's game, but didn't like his comment that he didn't like losing two, but it didn't matter that it was to Calgary! Hemsky is an immense talent, but shoot the damn puck when you have an open net! We could have had two wins against the Flames and have six points. Oh well, I guess we are content to be the second fiddle in Alberta and watch our big brothers to the south school us again! Keep McIntyre. We need the nuclear deterrent, or we'll be like the 06-07 team when lots of teams took liberties with us and put our good players out of commission. I really like Quinn and I hope that he can get these guys playing to win, rather than to show!

#16 knobert
October 09 2009, 08:31AM

note to oilers

You can't get "Calgary" type bounces if you are farting around with drop passes and the like!!

If there is no play or pass, shoot the damn thing and create some havoc!!!! Hemmer better listen up!!

#17 Chris.
October 09 2009, 08:33AM

Quinn said: “I don’t understand the players of today. If that happened in the old days, he would have got hit over the head with a stick right after. That’s the way you used to deal with, but now you can’t touch him."

Yes you can. Try pulling that crap in Philly. This isn't a league wide problem; this is an Oilers problem. Quinn you magnificent bastard: you always say exactly the same stuff I'm yelling at my TV! The Oilers, despite Qinn's best efforts (promoting JFJ, Stone, etc) are still ridiculously soft. If these guys had ANY sence of team loyalty; each and every roster player would have taken a turn slashing Iginla's boots, cross checking him in the kidneys, and outright boarding his ass. Iginla is a high profile player and he needed to be punished tenfold to send a message around the league that a) Rexall isn't an easy place to play, and b) Be very careful not to injure even the least of our players, even by accident or you'll be peeing blood for a week...

What about penalties you say? First of all, no matter how dirty you play, the refs try to even things out. Secondly, you can usually draw a reataliation... So twenty seperate Oilers would recieve back a single slash and a rest; Cogs could go to work four on four; and Iginla would be icing twenty distinct bruises for his trouble. There is obviously no sence of team when a man like Souray can be run like that and only Moreau offers something of a response... What happened to guys battling for each other?

#18 Ogden Brother
October 09 2009, 08:34AM

Couple things:

1. last year we blew alot of games late too, everyone wanted to blame Rollie, looks like the truth is coming out.

2. I'll give Hemsky 12 more months left on this team.

3. Quinn needs to be careful what he says, taking the vigilante approach could have EASILY led to Steve Moore part 2.

#19 Ogden Brother
October 09 2009, 08:39AM
Chris. wrote:

And your reply if Iggy had his neck broken?

#20 Tha Legion
October 09 2009, 08:42AM

yeah my jaw dropped yesterday... couldn't effing believe it

#21 captainnapalm
October 09 2009, 08:43AM

Despite his goal, Hemsky hasn't impressed anyone with his play this year. The other teams know exactly what he's going to do on the ice and it's an easy poke check to get the puck off his stick. There's no reason that puck shouldn't have at least gone deep in the last minute if not in the net.

#22 Chris.
October 09 2009, 08:55AM

@Ogden Brother

And your reply if Iginla had broken Souray's neck? Having a standard of respect or code enforced by the players will save more necks than it will risk. You didn't used to see the kind of head hunting you see today. Remember Phaneuf on Okposo? Technically a clean hit... but a very dangerous play: the kind of play that players didn't use to bother making in the preseason because it wasn't worth the price. There HAS to be a price.

#23 Ogden Brother
October 09 2009, 08:59AM
Chris. wrote:

Ask Bertuzzi, I'm sure he'd love to take that day back.... can't see Moreau/JFJ/Stortini or whomever wanting to be the next "Burt"

#24 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
October 09 2009, 09:03AM
Ogden Brother wrote:

That is why Moreau did it the way he should've. Stepped up said I want to go and Iginla accepted. You see how they each acknowledged each other after the fight? Pretty sure it was something along the lines of Moreau saying I have to stand-up for my teammates and Iginla saying I know and I didn't mean for it to happen.

Anyone that thinks Iginla meant to injure Souray needs to give their head a real good shake. This heat is completely different from Phaneuf's, so don't even bring that one up. This was an accident, plain and simple. If you can't see that go to wayne's thread and look at the picture he posted, because obviously your eyes aren't open enough.

#25 The Fish
October 09 2009, 09:05AM

That f***ing a$$hole Iginla is a cheap c*nt.

#26 Dennis
October 09 2009, 09:09AM

It's fun to see Quinn call out 18 for a couple of plays and it's certainly a difference from how MacTavish viewed thecaptainethanmoreau.

Moreau could've went on a tri-province killing spree and MacT would've found a way to forget about it and, yet, here's Quinn laying out the boots even though the guy scored a goal. Don't get me wrong, I loved MacT and I wish him well but his ideas about Moreau were off the mark as far as I was concerned. And I can understand why the media would give him a free pass as well considering the guy's a great quote and seems like he does a tonne for the community.

But he's been a dummy on the ice for a long time now and it didn't take long for Quinn to call him on it.

As for the rest, I get a kick out of Quinn's old-timeyness.

The "you do dirt with dirt" line had me in roars.

#27 Ogden Brother
October 09 2009, 09:09AM
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

I would have liked to see Moreau/Stortini/JFJ initiate without asking (like what Moreau did to Phaneuf last year)...in other words don't ask for the fight, just take.

#28 roadrunner
October 09 2009, 09:10AM

With everyone ALREADY ragging on Hemsky a mere 3 games in, do you think maybe we should give the kid a break? We get mad when he passes or doesn't, we get mad when he shoots or doesn't, we get mad when he dances, we get mad when he dangles. The kid averages 70+ points a year and everyones mad at him.

For years our offence consisted of Smyth behind the net lagging the puck from corner to corner hoping to make a pass out front, or Weight setting up on the half boards looking for the perfect pass.

Now the offence consists of Hemsky setting up on the left of the net waiting on his dumb-dumb team mates to break to the net. They don't so he dishes to the point so they can start the process all over again. Once in a while(last year more specifically) Horcoff would get a gift pass across the ice for a one timer.

When the kid has no options or no one of equal talent to play with, he's stuck so let's not be too harsh to jump on him.

As for the game last night, the bigger villain should be Reagher's forearm smash to the head of Comrie early in the 3rd. The guy is ALWAYS head shotting our guys after a hit. Why can't the NHL see this?

#29 rubbertrout
October 09 2009, 09:11AM
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly. Iginla is a class act. Quinn shouldn't be slamming him because it is ridiculous and hypocritical. Anyone remember what Quinn had to say about Domi hitting Niedermayer? McCabe's numerous knee on knee hits? Just about anything done by Darcy Tucker?

Iginla held up on pummelling Moreau. That isn't something that a "dirty" player does.

I get that Quinn is trying to deflect from the fact that the team has blown two points (at least) in two close games with Calgary. The team likely has a fragile psyche and he wants to protect that to give them a chance to keep up the strong play.

As well, Gregor hit the nail on the head. Anyone who thinks Khabby was bad needs to get some glasses. He made a number of huge plays and it was just bad luck that the last deflection got by him (to say nothing about Jokinen--the pig man's--flukey shoot out winner.

#30 Reagan
October 09 2009, 09:11AM

For some strange reason I though it was a 84 game season. lol

#31 Chris.
October 09 2009, 09:15AM
Ogden Brother wrote:

OMG! ONE Steve Moore type incident and you want to throw out a hundred years of balance and justice in hockey. Maybe you want all fighting to be banned also citing Don Sandersons death in Ontario?

Some sore shins, a crack on the hands, a little extra in the goal mouth scrum...this is the stuff Iginla needed to be delt so he thinks twice next time he pulls the feet out from a speeding defenceman two feet from the boards. You simply HAVE to do this or maybe next time one of our guys gets killed. Nobody respects the Oilers... and that is what is dangerous.

#32 erixon
October 09 2009, 09:15AM

Calgary is a veteran team, and we are just 3 games in (4 for the Flames). I would say right now, that although Calgary is winning games right now, they are not going to continue at this pace. There are aspects of their game that are suspect, and they are winning some games right now that they aren't. Those things will balance themselves out.

With the Oilers, right now, the team just out of the gate, I am more concerned with their compete level, the wins will come eventually, there is just too many changes with this team to have expectations. Many of us last year have said, "We just want a team that competes, and is in every game". Well, so far that's exactly what we've gotten.

There is going to be a period of adjustment for all players here. The new coaching staff brings about many of changes. Vets who have played the same system for almost a decade have to adjust to new tactics and philosophy, young players roles are changing, and there some who've never gotten such a big opportunity, and will need time to adjust. When this starts coming together, and we see a couple wins rattled off consecutively, I think you'll see the team grow with the confidence they've gained. I wouldn't worry about being 5 points back of Calgary this early. The season is too unpredictable and volatile to start to worry about that.

#33 rubbertrout
October 09 2009, 09:16AM

Plus I was also ready to kill Moreau for his dumb slash that put the Oil shorthanded in the first. He was spared my wrath when he managed to shovel one past Kipper on the break away. If he can do that every time he gets a bad one I'll forgive him but it just wounds me to wait for the other shoe to drop every time he's on the ice.

here's hoping the might Oil can give the Habs a drubbing that makes the Vancouver game look close.

#34 The Fish
October 09 2009, 09:16AM

@rubbertrout

Give me a break. It was a cheap play, which makes him dirty on at least that play. I agree 100% with Quinn. Someone should have knocked hi block off or run him from behind.

#35 The Fish
October 09 2009, 09:16AM

his

#36 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
October 09 2009, 09:19AM
The Fish wrote:

You're kidding right? That is the stupdiest thing I have ever heard and you obviously never played hockey before. You want redemption you square off and fight. You are thrwoing out a situation that could turn out very badly and not just for Iginla.

#37 erixon
October 09 2009, 09:20AM
erixon wrote:

Sorry, I meant to say they are winning games right now they shouldn't.

#38 Chris.
October 09 2009, 09:22AM

@rubbertrout

I'm sure Iginla really learned his lesson. Maybe on the 24th he can run Gilberts face through the boards "accidentally", and the Oiler players will do nothing and Oiler fans will call him "classy".

#39 Michael
October 09 2009, 09:24AM

Definitely a crushing loss. To me the play that stands out is Horcoff losing that draw. If I was deciding I'd have let Brule (on his strong side) take it instead of Horc on his weak side.

#40 Homie
October 09 2009, 09:27AM

@roadrunner

"So ask yourselves this honestly,is Hemsky really the problem or is it the system the Oil play? Look at Kovalchuk in Atlanta. The guy has been basically lost in a sea of mediocrity and the Thrashers don't say anything about him."

Kovalchuk also scored 40+ goals for the past 5 years in his sea of mediocrity. One is a superstar and the other is a decent first liner. I think a lot of people, including myself, had our hopes too high for Hemsky. If the Oilers can continue to get 70 points per year out of him during this contract, that's a great deal. I get frustrated by his lackadaisical effort out there most nights, but the guy has talent and gets points on a team where few others do.

Accept it until his current deal runs out and his agent asks for $7 million. Then trade him at the deadline.

#41 The Fish
October 09 2009, 09:29AM

@Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach

Yeah, never played a day in my life. Perhaps not run him from behind, but definitely let him know that he's not getting off easily. Wack his wrists or his ankles for the rest of the game and fight him, but that might be dangerous right. Clown.

#42 Chris.
October 09 2009, 09:29AM
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

You don't need to kill a guy to send a message... and you don't need to honor dirty and dangerous plays with a fight. Boogaard wants players to try and fight him so he boards people on purpose. Guys like that are the danger...and guys like that didn't use to last.

Accident or not, classy or not, Iginla could have killed Souray. He deseved more payback.

#43 SweetJimmyK
October 09 2009, 09:31AM

I am curious why MacIntyre wasn't dressed last night. We know what happens in these games. Quinn should have seen it from Game 1. If there is a monster sitting at the end of the bench waiting for any opportunity to chuck some knuckles, I bet Iggy would have been alot more careful of where he put his stick. Not saying Quinn would have unleashed the beast on him, but it would certainly be a deterrent.

I am not sure how anyone could think that what happened wasn't at least somewhat intentional. I played hockey, I know that you put your stick blade against the skate so that when they turn, they catch the stick and fall. Was it to slam him into the boards and injure? No, but it was to take him out of the play.

#44 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
October 09 2009, 09:31AM
The Fish wrote:

Okay so what was wrong with Moreau going and doing it the right way? Why slash and risk taking a penalty when your PK has been horrible as of late?

#45 Kieso
October 09 2009, 09:33AM

Well I see the Horcoff bashers are back blaming this guy for everything from the weather and all this wrong with the Oilers.

Hmmm...look at some stats will you. 55 total face-offs during the game and Horc is stuck taking 29 of them.

Quinn figured out what MacT already knew and Horc offence and overall play will suffer all year unless this can be fixed. During his best seasons I bet this was not that case.

#46 The Fish
October 09 2009, 09:34AM

@Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach

YOU'VE obviously never played hockey if you don't think you can get away with some of that stuff. If they called every little stick jab or slash, the game would take 5 hours.

#47 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
October 09 2009, 09:35AM
Chris. wrote:

You can kill somebody with every bodycheck you throw, ever punch in a fight. Fact is Iggy was going for the puck and it was unfortunate that it ended up being a trip that led to an injury. Iginla was given a penalty for tripping and then took the challenge from Moreau. Maybe next time someone actually gets a fight in with Iginla, but if someone goes out an purposely takes Iginla out I hope they get their suspension that they deserve.

#48 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
October 09 2009, 09:38AM
The Fish wrote:

I played plenty and I know that if you want redemption you do it like a man not a pussy.

#49 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
October 09 2009, 09:40AM

So someone hits you with their car in a parking lot, do you stalk them and hit them with your car?

#50 The Fish