Armchair GM VI: No news is bad news

Robin Brownlee
November 17 2009 03:18PM

With the Edmonton Oilers back home for five straight games at Rexall Place and slowly returning to health, an optimist might suggest there appears to be some light at the end of the tunnel. Unfortunately for Pat Quinn's outfit, it's probably a train.

Back from Columbus after dropping a 3-2 shootout decision to the Blue Jackets Monday, the Oilers could use some home cooking as they try to put the brakes on a four-game losing streak after getting four of a possible 10 points from a five-game road swing.

The problem for the Oil, now sitting in 12th place in the Western Conference at 8-10-3, is that this homestand, and three road games that come after it, will be against teams higher than them in the standings.

The Oilers open the stand Wednesday against the Colorado Avalanche, who have to be sour about getting clipped by Edmonton 5-3 Oct. 8 in Denver to open the last swing. Then, it's Chicago, Phoenix, Los Angeles and San Jose.

After that, it's six straight on the road, with the first three in Vancouver, Detroit and Dallas before stops in Florida, Tampa Bay and St. Louis.

Anybody see the Oilers getting more than, what, eight points from those next eight games?

Do it now

I'm baffled why GM Steve Tambellini has yet to make a personnel move to address two glaring and connected needs that date back to last season -- a defensive centre who can win face-offs and kill penalties.

While I get it that Tambellini hasn't had a full roster to assess because of injuries and illness, the players he's been without to this point aren't going to address the issues even when they return, so I don't understand what he's waiting for. More time to assess, perhaps.

Unless I'm mistaken, and I'm not, the Oilers weren't good enough on the dot last season, when they finished ranked 25th at 47.9 per cent. Anybody with two eyes and half-a-brain could see it, no?

Chasing me-first guy Dany Heatley this off-season made for great intrigue and inking Mike Comrie in what seemed an unlikely return made for a good kiss-and-make-up story, but neither pursuit addressed the need.

Same old same old

Twenty-one games into this season, the Oilers are ranked 29th in the NHL in face-offs at 46.1 per cent. Apparently, Tambellini thinks he's good enough down the middle with Shawn Horcoff (50.0 per cent), Sam Gagner (46.4), Andrew Cogliano (40.3) and Gilbert Brule (52.0).

Or maybe Dustin Penner (42.6), who has been taking a lot of draws to minimize wear and tear on Horcoff's shoulder, is the answer. I think not.

If Manny Malhotra or Blair Betts weren't perceived as the answer over the summer -- Malhotra was asking for way too much money and the Oilers were only lukewarm on Betts -- fine. But what about now?

Finding another centre more proficient at winning face-offs isn't going to solve all that ails the Oilers, the penalty killing being high on that list, but failure to address the need is going to be a costly blind spot for Tambellini.

By the numbers

With special teams, the good news is the power play has looked better despite playing most of the season without Sheldon Souray. The bad news, as I mentioned earlier, is that the penalty killing again stinks worse than a minivan full of carnival workers in mid-July.

-- With two goals on the power play in Columbus, the Oilers are 19-for-86 for 22.1 per cent, leaving them 11th going into play Tuesday. In 2008-09, the Oilers finished 22nd on the power play at 17 per cent.

-- The penalty killing, which most thought would be considerably better this season, is operating at almost the same dismal clip as it did a year ago, when a 77.5 per cent success rate left the Oilers ranked 27th. They're at 77.6 per cent right now, leaving them 24th.

-- Even with four straight losses, the Oilers aren't far off last season's pace after 21 games. In 2008-09 they were 9-10-2 for 20 points. They're sitting at 19 points as the Avalanche come calling.

-- Listen to Robin Brownlee every Wednesday and Thursday from 4 to 6 p.m. on Just A Game with Jason Gregor on TEAM 1260.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
A sports writer since 1983, including stints at The Edmonton Journal and The Sun 1989-2007, I happily co-host the Jason Gregor Show on TSN 1260 twice a week and write when so inclined. Have the best damn lawn on the internet. Most important, I am Sam's dad. Follow me on Twitter at Robin_Brownlee. Or don't.
Avatar
#101 David S
November 18 2009, 10:23AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

*I'm not sure this is "legal" in the sense of cross-posting part of another blogger's article on Robin's comment section, so I'd understand if it was removed. But it adds some context and together with Robin's article, really makes the point I believe.*

Lowetide had a wonderful post the other day in which he wrote a "letter" to Darryl Katz, where he included the following:

"...I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but it seems to me that all of the other NHL teams begin each season with a "set" or "balanced" lineup. They are convinced that every game is a playoff game, beginning opening night. These teams start each game with the best possible lineup and very little leeway for "development" at the NHL level. Every season since 2006 has featured a distinct lack of balance on the Oilers roster to start the season. This year, the team is quite poor in experience and ability at both center and left wing. Points lost in November are just as dear in March and April. I know injuries have also contributed, but no team in the Northwest division spends as much time with "learn on the job" types as the Oilers."

Maybe a bit idealistic given the Oilers cap and contract situation, but I was watching Calgary top up this summer and kept wondering why we weren't doing the same. If anybody out there can put some explanation to this, I'd be grateful.

Avatar
#102 Evan
November 18 2009, 10:24AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Haha yeah what a terrible day to look back on. The deepest draft in years and we come out of the first round with a pubic injured douchnut.

Mike Richards has 19 short handed goals since the lockout. Seriously.

Avatar
#103 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
November 18 2009, 10:26AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Evan wrote:

Haha yeah what a terrible day to look back on. The deepest draft in years and we come out of the first round with a pubic injured douchnut.

Mike Richards has 19 short handed goals since the lockout. Seriously.

Yet at the time many including local media thought we did great by taking Pouilot and Jacques.

Mr.Willis you should have that article on the front page at all times.

Avatar
#104 Ball Buster
November 18 2009, 10:27AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Jonathan Willis wrote:

For everyone arguing that the Oilers don't have the cap space to add a checker, I have a simple, simple solution.

Robert Nilsson. Waivers.

Tell him he's bound for the AHL unless he goes back to Sweden, just like what the Lightning did to Radim Vrbata last year.

That's 2MM right there.

From what I have seen of the cap calcs on nhlnumbers.com, waiving Nilsson (and assuming someone picks him up) would only clear up the portion of the dollars remaining to be paid. I.E., the Oilers' cap hit would still be charged Nilsson's $2M salary pro-rated to 60 days (or however long he will have been on the payroll). It's not a small difference and if this calc is accurate then it's something to take into consideration when shouting for the GM to waive a guy (not directed at you). Waive enough guys and you still end up paying a decent salary to an empty seat.

Avatar
#105 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
November 18 2009, 10:31AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Ball Buster

Yes but if you waive Nilsson's 2mil, you can pick up a 2mil player as well and there will be no difference on your cap.

Waiving Nilsson today saves up 1.5mil, only 500k has been applied to our cap today.

Avatar
#106 Ogden Brother
November 18 2009, 10:32AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Ball Buster wrote:

From what I have seen of the cap calcs on nhlnumbers.com, waiving Nilsson (and assuming someone picks him up) would only clear up the portion of the dollars remaining to be paid. I.E., the Oilers' cap hit would still be charged Nilsson's $2M salary pro-rated to 60 days (or however long he will have been on the payroll). It's not a small difference and if this calc is accurate then it's something to take into consideration when shouting for the GM to waive a guy (not directed at you). Waive enough guys and you still end up paying a decent salary to an empty seat.

He could have been waived day one, which would have saved the full 2 million. *If* Their is something out there that we could trade for or pick off wiavers or unsigned that could help us, Nilsson could still be wiaved today to clear up roughly 1.5 in cap space to accomplish said transaction.

This is not a cap issue people.

Avatar
#107 6 ring circus
November 18 2009, 10:43AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I am the first to admit that I wanted Mac T out as the Oilers coach,I blamed him for all the Oilers problems,I am past frustration at this point in the season, because this Oilers team plays like all the Oilers teams in the last five years, the only difference is some of the names on the jerseys have changed and we have a new coaching staff,the reality that I have wasted another 6 grand to watch this team play again does not help either.

Avatar
#108 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
November 18 2009, 10:43AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

The cap really isn't going to be an issue for us anyways this year. Only way it is, is if we continue to have guys that only go on the IR and not the LTIR or if they try trade picks/non-roster players for a 4mil guy today.

Avatar
#109 Ogden Brother
November 18 2009, 10:49AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

The cap really isn't going to be an issue for us anyways this year. Only way it is, is if we continue to have guys that only go on the IR and not the LTIR or if they try trade picks/non-roster players for a 4mil guy today.

I'd also be willing to bet Pisani is done for the year.

Avatar
#110 Jonathan Willis
November 18 2009, 10:52AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Ogden Brother

I'd also be willing to bet Pisani is done for the year.

That's a good bet, sadly.

Avatar
#111 BUCK75
November 18 2009, 10:54AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

IF Buffalo was willing to trade Gaustad for Gilbert I think the deal would be done in a heartbeat. > 60% on face-offs. Maybe we could get him on another offer sheet & Pierre MacGuire loves him. I was sure he was going to be the monster when the oilers played the sabres. 77% on short handed face-offs thus far this season would solve that problem. (34 won/10 lost).

Peverly would be interesting too. Lots of offensive upside, isn't leading scorer in ATL? I can't see ATL trading him if he is only 1.3 mm cap hit (next 2 seasons)& their leading scorer.

Steckel is really good again this season. I would settle for Jay McClement from STL too.

Avatar
#112 steeves
November 18 2009, 10:58AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@roughneck

Thanks, I'm excited to have over $5400 back from the tickets(which were a tax write off anyways), I actually managed to make a small profit off of the sale so I couldn't be more thrilled. Oh and lets not forget about the $12 parking. What I will enjoy the most though is getting back the TIME I'm not wasting anymore. It will be nice to have an extra 4 hours back on home game days that used to go towards driving to, watching, and driving home from the game. I'm sure I will catch a few games on the tube, but having center ice, I usually end up watching teams that are actually good and entertaining, heck, maybe I'll get real lucky and be able to tune in to a team that would actually throw some hits? That seems to work well... I noticed when your giving the guy with the puck two seconds to make a decision as opposed to 8 or 9 seconds before he gets smoked, that makes a bit of a difference on how the play developes... If your giving the guy that much time to make a play, eventually he is going to find a play to make.... That would be cool... Its nice to see a play other than the panic attack fire it around the boards and hope and pray that your winger is a) actually where he is supposed to be an b)hope he left his purse at home and can actually get the puck out, and maybe even make a play with it?? Every other team in the league knows the oilers are soft, and tamb was supposed to fix that... I'm not sure how signing Mike Comrie at 5' 10" (on skates) 185 (wearing a sweater after being soaked with a fire hose) addresses that issue. The guys that are supposed to physical, aren't. The only guys I've seen throw decent hits, or at least try to hit someone are reddox and of ALL PEOPLE, Cogliano. Speaking of reddox, maybe today in practice he can show the rest of the team how to execute a proper dump and chase? Seems he is the only guy who knows that a dump and chase means that you actually get the puck into the corner, and than actually go after it, not go off for a line change, not try to stick handle through three guys, turn the puck over, and be the last one back on the back check.... Sounds pretty basic, but basic is exactly what this team lacks. Its a team full of guys who were either awesome in junior hockey, or had a good few months in a row, and have done nothing since. Enjoy the next six months of win 1, loose 3, win 2 loose 3, and enjoy another looooooong summer with no playoffs.

Avatar
#113 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
November 18 2009, 11:04AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@BUCK75

One trade that was started by Matheson and took off from there was Gilbert and someone for Gaustad and Tallinder.

Still not really know if there was any truth to the whole talk because Matheson seems a bit out there lately with his hockey columns.

Avatar
#114 Eddie Shore
November 18 2009, 11:04AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Wow, it sure has got awfully negative around these parts. Big game tonight?!?!

Avatar
#115 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
November 18 2009, 11:07AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

LOL. Only a big game if we win if we lose it was just another game.

Tonight is one where we have a good chance to win. Colorado just played last night and might be worn out. We need to take advantage of this early.

Avatar
#116 roughneck
November 18 2009, 11:08AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Jonathan Willis

"I mean actual, full-ice hockey talent"

maybe jeeves is right,, last fan out shut out the lights.

Avatar
#117 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
November 18 2009, 11:09AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Fernando Pisani. Edmonton's own, But today I hear rumors of three different teams from three different source. I am hearing that the Islanders, Sabres, and Rangers all have interest. Why would Edmonton be moving him? I know he is a pending UFA....

Wow, what a rumor

Avatar
#118 BUCK75
November 18 2009, 11:15AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

One trade that was started by Matheson and took off from there was Gilbert and someone for Gaustad and Tallinder.

Still not really know if there was any truth to the whole talk because Matheson seems a bit out there lately with his hockey columns.

I don't read the journal - didn't realize that. I would take Gaustad (f/o), Kaleta (.5)(a-hole - we need one), & MacArthur(1.4). just throwing it out there...

Talinder (2.5) & Gaustad (2.3) are close to 5mm hit. Gilber 4mm hit. We would have to unload 2 players to do that deal that Matheson wrote.

Avatar
#119 Ogden Brother
November 18 2009, 11:17AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
6 ring circus wrote:

I am the first to admit that I wanted Mac T out as the Oilers coach,I blamed him for all the Oilers problems,I am past frustration at this point in the season, because this Oilers team plays like all the Oilers teams in the last five years, the only difference is some of the names on the jerseys have changed and we have a new coaching staff,the reality that I have wasted another 6 grand to watch this team play again does not help either.

After all of your rants, I must say I enjoyed your post.

Avatar
#120 Ball Buster
November 18 2009, 11:18AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Ogden Brother

@ Ogden clan

The Oilers are currently over the cap so I think it a little premature to say that this cannot become a cap issue.

Waiving MacIntyre 40 days in doesn't make much of a dent but waiving Nilsson (maybe 3 months when/if he recovers from concussion symptoms) is playing loose with your dollars.

I agree though that at some point, it becomes moot. Nilsson must be sacrificed but you would hope that Tambellini can find some clever way to offload this player for ANY zero cost asset in return (a 2nd round draft pick would be nice). I can't imagine you would get any more for him anyway.

And I just figured out how to do paragraphs!!! I think that's enough mental exertion for one day. I'm going home.

Avatar
#121 TigerUnderGlass
November 18 2009, 11:19AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I've been wondering if Gilbert is enough of an overpay for a 3rd line center to force another team to take Nilsson too.

I haven't the time to look right now, but are there any good centers to target on teams with room under the cap?

I also wonder if Washington would like to save some money and how much Katz would be willing to bury. We gave been talking about waiving Nilsson. What if we offered Nilsson for Nylander and Steckel. It would save Washington a pile of cash, we get rid of Nilsson AND we get Steckel.

Not a great deal for them player wise, but I wonder if saving almost 3 million dollars is worth the loss of Steckel to them. Plus it is entirely possible that Nilsson could be a lot more effective for them anyways.

The catch on our side would be if Katz is willing to pay out that extra money for a non-roster player.

That was just a random thought that occurred to me, I haven't really thought it through carefully, but it seems plausible enough.

Avatar
#122 BUCK75
November 18 2009, 11:19AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

Fernando Pisani. Edmonton's own, But today I hear rumors of three different teams from three different source. I am hearing that the Islanders, Sabres, and Rangers all have interest. Why would Edmonton be moving him? I know he is a pending UFA....

Wow, what a rumor

hmmmm

Pisani is 2.5 cap Gilbert is 4 cap

You could get some pretty usable parts if you made a trade involving both - would have to take back a bad contract too though.

Avatar
#123 Dan the Man
November 18 2009, 11:21AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Ball Buster wrote:

@ Ogden clan

The Oilers are currently over the cap so I think it a little premature to say that this cannot become a cap issue.

Waiving MacIntyre 40 days in doesn't make much of a dent but waiving Nilsson (maybe 3 months when/if he recovers from concussion symptoms) is playing loose with your dollars.

I agree though that at some point, it becomes moot. Nilsson must be sacrificed but you would hope that Tambellini can find some clever way to offload this player for ANY zero cost asset in return (a 2nd round draft pick would be nice). I can't imagine you would get any more for him anyway.

And I just figured out how to do paragraphs!!! I think that's enough mental exertion for one day. I'm going home.

The Oilers couldn't start a game if the were "over the cap". It's a hard cap so the NHL would not allow it.

Also there is no way any team gives up anything for Nilsson let alone a 2nd rounder.

Avatar
#124 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
November 18 2009, 11:24AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Ball Buster wrote:

@ Ogden clan

The Oilers are currently over the cap so I think it a little premature to say that this cannot become a cap issue.

Waiving MacIntyre 40 days in doesn't make much of a dent but waiving Nilsson (maybe 3 months when/if he recovers from concussion symptoms) is playing loose with your dollars.

I agree though that at some point, it becomes moot. Nilsson must be sacrificed but you would hope that Tambellini can find some clever way to offload this player for ANY zero cost asset in return (a 2nd round draft pick would be nice). I can't imagine you would get any more for him anyway.

And I just figured out how to do paragraphs!!! I think that's enough mental exertion for one day. I'm going home.

Once Stone, Chorney, Jacques and Gagner come back Arsene, Poultny and Reddox are back to the minors. There is about 1mil in saved money. We also already have 1mil roughly in LTIR that allow us to go over the cap. If Grebeshkov goes on LTIR there is some more extra space.

According to capgeek we have 590k in space, so not sure how we are over.

Avatar
#125 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
November 18 2009, 11:26AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@BUCK75

I really can't see any team taking Pisani on, even before his injury. He is more of one of those guys you could probably move come the deadline, but he would have to be healthy.

Avatar
#126 Brandon
November 18 2009, 11:28AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
BUCK75 wrote:

hmmmm

Pisani is 2.5 cap Gilbert is 4 cap

You could get some pretty usable parts if you made a trade involving both - would have to take back a bad contract too though.

I decided to ask "Eklund" about that rumor and he said "not happening now of course" little hard to trade a guy on LTIR, whose career might be done

Avatar
#127 Ball Buster
November 18 2009, 11:28AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Dan the Man

Don't shoot the messenger. Just quoting nhlnumbers.com but maybe I'm reading it wrong.

And I said "it would be nice", inferring that I was being hopeful, not realistic.

Avatar
#128 roughneck
November 18 2009, 11:28AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
steeves wrote:

@roughneck

Thanks, I'm excited to have over $5400 back from the tickets(which were a tax write off anyways), I actually managed to make a small profit off of the sale so I couldn't be more thrilled. Oh and lets not forget about the $12 parking. What I will enjoy the most though is getting back the TIME I'm not wasting anymore. It will be nice to have an extra 4 hours back on home game days that used to go towards driving to, watching, and driving home from the game. I'm sure I will catch a few games on the tube, but having center ice, I usually end up watching teams that are actually good and entertaining, heck, maybe I'll get real lucky and be able to tune in to a team that would actually throw some hits? That seems to work well... I noticed when your giving the guy with the puck two seconds to make a decision as opposed to 8 or 9 seconds before he gets smoked, that makes a bit of a difference on how the play developes... If your giving the guy that much time to make a play, eventually he is going to find a play to make.... That would be cool... Its nice to see a play other than the panic attack fire it around the boards and hope and pray that your winger is a) actually where he is supposed to be an b)hope he left his purse at home and can actually get the puck out, and maybe even make a play with it?? Every other team in the league knows the oilers are soft, and tamb was supposed to fix that... I'm not sure how signing Mike Comrie at 5' 10" (on skates) 185 (wearing a sweater after being soaked with a fire hose) addresses that issue. The guys that are supposed to physical, aren't. The only guys I've seen throw decent hits, or at least try to hit someone are reddox and of ALL PEOPLE, Cogliano. Speaking of reddox, maybe today in practice he can show the rest of the team how to execute a proper dump and chase? Seems he is the only guy who knows that a dump and chase means that you actually get the puck into the corner, and than actually go after it, not go off for a line change, not try to stick handle through three guys, turn the puck over, and be the last one back on the back check.... Sounds pretty basic, but basic is exactly what this team lacks. Its a team full of guys who were either awesome in junior hockey, or had a good few months in a row, and have done nothing since. Enjoy the next six months of win 1, loose 3, win 2 loose 3, and enjoy another looooooong summer with no playoffs.

Dude! Your going to make Katz cry. I can say the thought of dumping ours has crossed my mind but to be perfectly frank, this team is the mid 70s habs dynasty compared to a bunch of stuff the EIG put out there for public consumption. Then again those teams were bought for a pittance compared to this capped out lot. (that matters to me)

We do get to meet with management next wednesday in the allstar, I shall send your regards or maybe you shall attend and we can throw things together. If Robins predictions are correct we shall be about 9-14-3 at that point. Should make for an enjoyable evening of pacification. Originally I was just going to lobby for ice girls but who knows.

Avatar
#129 Ball Buster
November 18 2009, 11:32AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Yep, my bad.

Didn't account for the AHLers on their way down.

Weird that nhlnumbers and capgeek can give different results.

Avatar
#130 BUCK75
November 18 2009, 11:33AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

I really can't see any team taking Pisani on, even before his injury. He is more of one of those guys you could probably move come the deadline, but he would have to be healthy.

Good point.

*hangs head remembering Pisani is dealing with stuff*

Avatar
#131 bingofuel
November 18 2009, 11:34AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@David S

It's "legal," as long as it's attributed correctly (which it is) and you're not posting the whole letter (which you're not).

And I agree, it's a great open letter.

Avatar
#132 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
November 18 2009, 11:34AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

JDD to start tonight. Quinn and Gagner both say Gagner likely tonight.

As per tencer.

Avatar
#133 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
November 18 2009, 11:35AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Ball Buster wrote:

Yep, my bad.

Didn't account for the AHLers on their way down.

Weird that nhlnumbers and capgeek can give different results.

NHLSCAP is somewhat helping capgeek out, capgeek at least shows you a breakdown so you can double check the numbers if you want.

Avatar
#134 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
November 18 2009, 11:36AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

27-10-83, 67-19-85, 43-13-91, 18-16-46

5-71, 44-77, 8-24.

These were the lines this morning although I suspect they will be changed with gagner in the lineup.

Avatar
#135 Hemmertime
November 18 2009, 11:38AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Robin Brownlee wrote:

It's not "kinda hard" at all. Seven teams below them in the standings and they don't get any of them in a stretch of eight games.

Fact is, with any help from the schedule-maker, the Oilers could have caught a home-and-home with one of the teams below them in the conference and single or two against one of the other six teams. But that wasn't going to stop you from contributing, was it?

And Randy Jones wouldn't have helped.

The schedule on this trip includes both PHX and Colorado, prior to the season we would have thanked the schedule maker for those 2 easy ones. Turns out, not so much

Avatar
#136 MrOiler
November 18 2009, 11:41AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

At the start of the season, I speculated that trades would be made by game 30 - 25 games to assess and 5 games to negotiate a trade.

Up until game 25-30, no one is really serious about trades, they are simply kicking tires.

I expect a few skill/small guys to be gone not long after the first week of December has past by.

Avatar
#137 Ball Buster
November 18 2009, 11:46AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

27-10-83, 67-19-85, 43-13-91, 18-16-46

5-71, 44-77, 8-24.

These were the lines this morning although I suspect they will be changed with gagner in the lineup.

I would like to see Gagner move into that 3rd line centre position, pushing Cogliano to the wing but for some reason, I sense Brule getting the shaft somehow.

And I think it an automatic that Arsene sits and Strudwick slots in.

Avatar
#138 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
November 18 2009, 11:50AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Ball Buster

Strudwick is already slotted in on the 3. I would have to say that Gagner goes to line 3 and Cogliano back to line 4, which would mean Potulny is out. Looks like Quinn wants to have some sort of banger or size guy on each line again. Kinda worked last game.

Avatar
#139 woody
November 18 2009, 11:51AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@bingofuel

When is the much anticipated release of the 09/10 OILERSNATION gear?

I seem to remember some time ago Wanye, or possibly you, saying that the unveiling of the new clothing was imminent with the re-launch of the new and improved ON.COM

Christmas is fast approaching gentlemen!!!

Avatar
#140 Ball Buster
November 18 2009, 11:55AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach

Yeah, I meant Strudwick comes off 3rd line to slot into the 3rd pairing.

That way, Gagner and Strudwick cancel each other out on forward line movement and Potulny doesn't sit. If anything, he moves up to 3rd line duty with Gagner centering (if it is absolutely necessary to beat the dead horse of Cogliano at centre) or like I said, Cogliano gets LW time on line 3.

Avatar
#141 Ender
November 18 2009, 11:58AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
woody wrote:

When is the much anticipated release of the 09/10 OILERSNATION gear?

I seem to remember some time ago Wanye, or possibly you, saying that the unveiling of the new clothing was imminent with the re-launch of the new and improved ON.COM

Christmas is fast approaching gentlemen!!!

When I read this (and it's several companion messages in the same vein penned by others) it reminds me of another quote from a couple weeks ago:

Bingofuel wrote:

You know that scene in Who Framed Roger Rabbit? when Eddie Valiant feeds Roger booze and he totally has that weird alcoholic relapse (pictured below)? That was Wanye's reaction every time someone said "edit button." And he would rant and rave and kick the air and demand things — crazy things involving origami cranes and the blood of young animals — until the edit button was in place. But it's here. And as Wanye dozes silently in a corner covered in newspapers from the 1980s, I think it's safe to say that he's happy with our progress... for now.

I wonder if Wanye is getting as worked up over the NationGear inquiries as he was the edit button? If so, well, the button thing worked out ok so I wouldn't sweat it.

Avatar
#142 Ogden Brother
November 18 2009, 11:59AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Ball Buster wrote:

@ Ogden clan

The Oilers are currently over the cap so I think it a little premature to say that this cannot become a cap issue.

Waiving MacIntyre 40 days in doesn't make much of a dent but waiving Nilsson (maybe 3 months when/if he recovers from concussion symptoms) is playing loose with your dollars.

I agree though that at some point, it becomes moot. Nilsson must be sacrificed but you would hope that Tambellini can find some clever way to offload this player for ANY zero cost asset in return (a 2nd round draft pick would be nice). I can't imagine you would get any more for him anyway.

And I just figured out how to do paragraphs!!! I think that's enough mental exertion for one day. I'm going home.

They aren't over the cap, if they were they would be forfieting games.

Avatar
#143 Ball Buster
November 18 2009, 12:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Ogden Brother

Thanks.

See post #123.

You're late to the party.

*Notes the correct use of "you're" in his post and smugly sips his kool-aid*

Avatar
#144 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
November 18 2009, 12:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Ball Buster wrote:

Yeah, I meant Strudwick comes off 3rd line to slot into the 3rd pairing.

That way, Gagner and Strudwick cancel each other out on forward line movement and Potulny doesn't sit. If anything, he moves up to 3rd line duty with Gagner centering (if it is absolutely necessary to beat the dead horse of Cogliano at centre) or like I said, Cogliano gets LW time on line 3.

I think we are better when we have more size up front and while I'm not a huge fun of Strudwick, but I think him playing on line 3 or 4 he gets more done then Potulny on line 3 or 4.

I do think Potulny is the better player, but to me when we have all these small guys dressed we get killed out there. We get knocked of the puck all the time and then we have problems controling guys in our own end.

Avatar
#145 steeves
November 18 2009, 12:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@roughneck

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those "im going to sell my tickets" everytime the team loses a game sort of people. I admire Katz for what he has done not only with the oilers, but with the community as well and what his vision is. He believes in edmonton, and wants to see great things for it. I'm looking out my office window right now where they want to build a new rink, it sure would be nice to see, but its NOT going to happen if this is the type of product they plan to keep icing over the next 5-7 years.I've been all oilers since I was kid. I was there though the highs and the lows. I still went to games after they traded smyth and won something like 2 out of their last 20. I went to games last year when everyone wanted to fire mac-t and trade everyone. Speaking of which, I wonder where all the "fire mac-t he is the source of all our problems he can't coach young talent he doesn't know offense he lost the dressing room" people have gone. From what I can tell, were pretty much in the same exact spot plus or minus a point that we were last year at this time. I really hope mac-t is sitting somewhere, studying for his course, watching his paychecks from the oilers still coming in saying "I told you so". With regards to the meeting at all-stars, why not. I have no problem putting down some money for a very good meal, and a chance to talk to the decision makers is always a good thing. We can float trade rumors and waiver rumors all day long, but the fact is, by the time you factor in things like contract terms, cap hits, cap room, trade clauses, and a host of other things nobody ever talks about, 90% of the deals could never happen. The only ones that could happen are brought up by the guys who actually DO their homework on all the above issues, like mr brownlee and the rest of the writers, as opposed to most people who pull names from a hat, or somewhere else. As mention before by brownlee, the oilers could have made moves over the summer with either betts or manny, but didn't pick up either of them. Send me the info on the time for the meeting.

Avatar
#146 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
November 18 2009, 12:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

Once Stone, Chorney, Jacques and Gagner come back Arsene, Poultny and Reddox are back to the minors. There is about 1mil in saved money. We also already have 1mil roughly in LTIR that allow us to go over the cap. If Grebeshkov goes on LTIR there is some more extra space.

According to capgeek we have 590k in space, so not sure how we are over.

putting a player on LTIR does NOT automatically give the team more cap space.

Avatar
#147 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
November 18 2009, 12:15PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan

Pretty dam close in our case. We were right around the cap most of the year, so I would think we get most of it.

Avatar
#148 roughneck
November 18 2009, 12:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@steeves

You should get an email from your account rep and then RSVP to attend.

pitchforks and torches checked at the door

Avatar
#149 Dan the Man
November 18 2009, 12:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Ball Buster

I found a good explanation as to how LTIR impacts a teams cap and why NHL Numbers might say the Oilers are actually "over" the cap.

With LTIR the team is allowed without penalty to go over the salary cap by the amount of the injured players salary. Example with a cap of $50 million and a team right on $50 million for salaries. If player A is making $1 million and goes on LTIR the club is allowed to replace player A with player B as long as player B's salary isn't over $1 million. Their payroll could now be $51 million and they won't be penalized.

Source(s): NHL CBA

Avatar
#150 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
November 18 2009, 12:32PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

Pretty dam close in our case. We were right around the cap most of the year, so I would think we get most of it.

nhlscap.com has a pretty good explanation on how LTIR (and most other things CBA related)works.

i think we are in agreement, i think it is just the wording that is causing the issues.

Comments are closed for this article.