In the community, beating the Heat

bingofuel
November 23 2009 02:42PM

There was a certain trade that was talked about this past summer that never came to fruition. It was a trade that involved three of the boys in copper and blue — Dustin Penner, Andrew Cogliano, and Ladislav Smid. In exchange for these three soldiers of fortune, the Oilers were to acquire a certain someone from the Ottawa Senators who now plays for the San Jose Sharks. Let's call that certain someone "The Heat."

The people at Original Joe's here in Edmonton wanted to do something to "honour" the fact that the trade never happened, especially given the way PDP's been playing this season. That's why today marks the launch of the Beat the Heat charity campaign, sponsored by Original Joe's, OilersNation, Global TV, Ignition Media, Just A Game, and Give Me Shelter.

Here's how it works: any time one of Penner, Cogliano, or Smid scores, Original Joe's will donate $100 to Give Me Shelter, which supports women's shelters in Edmonton. Since it's been an era since Smid's last goal, OJ's will donate $500 for Smid's next goal and $100 for every subsequent goal.

At the end of the season, if the three Oilers score goals exceeding the total of their jersey numbers all added up, OJ's will donate an additional $1,000 to Give Me Shelter.

Official launch: tonight

If you stalwart readers of the Nation tune your picture-tube boxes to Global Edmonton tonight at 5 or 6pm, you'll see OilersNation fan and news anchor Lynda Steele interview Trevor Belsher (manager of OJ's Varsity Row) and yours truly. Today marks the kick off the Give Me Shelter campaign!

And it's all well and good for the Nation to sponsor this endeavour. But I'm going to put my money where my mouth is. I'm donating 100 of my own dollars to the campaign (and you can too >>by clicking here<<). I encourage you all to do the same — and make sure you add a comment to your donation that says you're doing it as a Citizen of OilersNation! It's for a great cause. Plus it makes watching Oilers games that much more interesting.

Channeling Billy Mays

But wait, there's more! "The Heat" will be in town this Friday as the Oilers take on the San Jose Sharks. And if you kick it down to any Edmonton and area Original Joe's location and buy a burger there, one dollar from each burger will be donated to Give Me Shelter. Food, hockey, and supporting local charities. It's the feel-good story of the year, and it involves ground beef.

Everyone's a winner.

Go Oilers!

Click here to donate!

243fa199ff6efc362bf29a17e950b47e
Bingofuel is the handsome cyborg who pulls all the levers behind the curtains of the OilersNation. When he isn't running the site, he's plugged into a wall socket, recharging. Or Brownlee and Wanye are playing "keep away" with him. He gets little to no respect.
#1 OvenChicken8 - Team JSBM
November 23 2009, 02:46PM

This is a pretty sweet idea especially considering Penner is on pace for 40 goals and Cogs is good for at least 15, I think the total is in the bag barring a significant injury to DP.

#2 Lynda Steele
November 23 2009, 02:51PM

Yahoo! I love it when young men (especially Oilers fans) jump on board a cause that directly benefits women... Consider this... in the past year about 130 Canadian soldiers died - a massive tragedy - while 500 Canadian women were murdered by their spouses and boyfriends, and most deaths never made the headlines. Not cool. Thank you OilersNation - thank you Original Joe's - thank you Dustin Penner, Andrew Cogliano and Ladislav Smid... thank you for helping women and children fleeing domestic abuse over the holidays - you all rock!

SMOOCH...

Lynda Global Edmonton

#3 The Towel Boy
November 23 2009, 02:55PM

Haha! Sweet idea. I love OJ's.

Edit: ...and Lynda Steele

#4 Ogden Brother
November 23 2009, 03:03PM

Representing the nation of Oilers:

*Smooches back*

#5 freeze
November 23 2009, 03:11PM

Great idea Bingofuel, L Steele & OJs!! I hope this generates a good pool of funds for a great cause.

*Tips Hat*

#6 jeanshorts
November 23 2009, 03:22PM

This is nice and all, but shouldn't we be focusing on how to get Steve Tambellini fir....OHMYGOD LYNDA STEELE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*awkwardly combs his hair and tucks half his shirt in*

#7 Chaz
November 23 2009, 03:27PM

Great job Oilers Nation and OJs! I always love it when 2 institutions that I love combine forces. Obviously a great cause not to mention a good way to remind Penner, Cogs and Smid that a lot of us didn't want that trade to begin with.

Can you make donations directly at OJ's? I'm assuming they have the PPV games, right?

#9 BUCK75
November 23 2009, 03:45PM

Right on - hopefully Smid goes on a scoring streak now!

$50 to the cause - hopefully the readers turn this into a great story - just like the Gregor trip to Montreal!

#10 Chaz
November 23 2009, 03:48PM
bingofuel wrote:

OJs has PPV games, but the best way to donate is online, as the donations are handled by a charitable organization.

Thanks Bingofuel.

Game Day Prediction: The love and good Karma from ON's readers and OJ's will help Laddy end his goal dry spell. #5 will score one in a 3-1 Oiler victory!!

#11 I'm a Scientist!
November 23 2009, 04:04PM
Chaz wrote:

Thanks Bingofuel.

Wow, it is like you are plagerizing my Game Day Prediction from the GDB! OJ's is going to be out 500 bucks tonight! That is awesome!

#12 roughneck
November 23 2009, 04:07PM

"The Heat" SUCKS!!!!!!!

#13 OJoesTrev
November 23 2009, 04:25PM

I hope Smid score, Cogs gets 2 and Penner gets the hatty. We will gladly give up a cool grand tonight.

It's already at $1600.00.

#14 Oilers4Life
November 24 2009, 07:24AM

I had to become a citizen just so I could comment on this. I have been watching every game with my son Cheering for Smid to pot one for the team. We are both anxious to see his reaction when he gets one. My son is 8, and we will donate $250 to the cause when he get's one. Here's hoping it is before I have to spend $$$ on Christmas Presents.....

#15 Sarah
November 24 2009, 07:54PM

What a cool idea!!! Pens, Cogs, and Laddy, like I didn't have enough reason to want you boys to light it up, now I've got more!!!